Just Learing to Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozco

After cutting up a bud best I can, I place it in the vaping bowl, then pack it down. I don't take very deep inhalations because my lungs aren't strong enough and when I do get a lot of vapor I cough and it hurts.

1. After a while, I stir it up and pack down again. Is this proper? Or should I not be packing it down?

2. Is it better to get a grinder or just cut it finely with tiny scissors? Don't you lose stuff in the grinder?

3. I get herb from a dispensary and keep the herb in a glass spice jar. Am I supposed let it dry out or keep it fresh? I thought if I let air get in it loses potency.

Thanks,
Boz

Bozco,

Beezleb

What vaporizer do you use?

Generally, you only want to lightly pack. You need good air flow so packing it hard negatively affects the air flow.

I personally use scissors but some vapes are better with a grinder and some other vapes need little pieces. Generally, you do not want a real fine grind as it can get through the screen and clog up air flow and is just more problematic. the finer the grind the higher vapor to air ratio but you will get few draws than if you just cut it up. I just cut mine up and by the time im done vaping its pretty much powder and I get thick draws.

If you get a grinder I recommend getting one with a kief catcher. Keep your herb in an air tight container. Generally the drier the weed the better vapor but if you are getting good vapor from it than its probably dry enough. As you get experience you will gain a better feel for it.

Your coughing may be heat sensitivity. Try taking a sip of something cold before taking a draw. If it helps you may want to look into various methods of cooling your vapor which varies from vaporizer type to vaporizer type.

Hope that helps and happy vaping!

Beezleb,

koggit

1. Loosely packed is best. Sounds like you probably have a whip-style vape, in which case you only wanna pack it enough to prevent it from falling when vaping.

2. Grinders rule, they get it finer than breaking it up or scissors generally, and it's easier, if you buy a decent one you wont regret it. Look up "Chromium Crusher" on eBay or Amazon, for about $20 you can get a good one. I break up the bud, put it in the grinder, then tap it out of the grinder into a shot glass, then suck it up with the whip. It works really well. You could suck it up straight from the grinder too but the shot glass makes it easier to get huge bowls when you need em. One thing you mention about "losing stuff" -- it's kind of a pain to get everything out of a grinder... but you can get the vast majority of it out with just one tap. And it's not wasted, because it's still in your grinder for next time... but that might be a problem if multiple people use the grinder. If it's yours alone, then nothing to worry about.

3. The main advantage to drying is you need fewer hits to get all the goodies out. The more moisture there is, then bigger portion of your vapor is water instead of goodies. Less water = more goodies per hit = fewer hits per bowl. Another advantage to drying is that they break up / grind way more easily. Really really dry bud will just crumble in a grinder and it's great.

koggit,

lwien

koggit said:
Grinders rule, they get it finer than breaking it up or scissors generally, and it's easier....
Man, that hasn't been my experience. A scissors and a shot glass gives me a way more consistent finer grind than my 4 piece ti SpaceCase, and it's easier being that I can see how fine I'm chopping it up as I'm chopping it up. Don't have to constanty take apart the grinder, look at the bud, turn it upside down to grind some more, turn it right side up, look at the bud, turn it over again.........

lwien,

Bozco

Great replies, all helpful. I'm using Da Buddha and I've found it easy to use.

If I understand correctly, if the herb is drier, the hits will have a higher percentage of medicinal benefit. That could mean being able to do less vaping per session to get the benefit.

Question 1: Would that mean more vapor/expansion per hit (which seems to make me cough and then have pain)? Or just more beneficial components in the same amount of vapor per hit?

I do sip water while vaping but perhaps I'll try right before taking a hit. I'll try ice water too. I suppose I can remove the mouthpiece, put the tube into a bong and have it go through the bong to hydrate the vapor.

Question 2: If I bonged the vaping session, would it be sufficient just to put ice in the bong or does it need water too. I'm concerned the water might create too much resistance and make it harder to draw air flow. And also, are ice cubes sufficient or is it better to crush the ice?

You guys are great! Thanks,
Boz

Bozco,

Beezleb

Dry herb generally means higher vapor to air ratio as less water vapor. The type of effect is based on temperature and not really on dryness. Dryness is more about about vapor to air ratio but keep in mind, their is a thing as too dry.

Beezleb,

Bozco

What is an easy way to dry herb a bit. Some new medicine I just got is really hard to get vapor from. It's really nice looking, lots of crystalline stuff, but "fresh", and it's just taking so much effort to get vapor.

Thanks!

Bozco,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
Grinder save good shit because you don't get it on your fingers. A sturdy, synthetic brush can gets all sorts of keif out of every nook and cranny when you are in need.

Yes, ice and no water is my preffered way to use a bong with a vape and will most definitely help your coughing.

bluntfaced,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom