1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Jeff Sessions -- Could it really be?

Discussion in 'Cannabis News and Activism' started by Wahiker, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Wahiker

Wahiker Well-Known Member

Click to play YouTube Video

2. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

Well, at least we won't have Jeffy to kick around any more:
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...etirement?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Republicans kept their Senate majority, and then Attorney General Jeff Sessions got the knife. The long-suffering attorney general offered his resignation barely half-a-day after the midterm elections.

Safely in power until at least 2020, Senate Republicans turned their back on their old Alabama colleague. His exit came just hours after a Trump press conference celebrating the GOP's expanded majority in the upper chamber (which makes Sessions' successor easier to confirm) — and less than two weeks after Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, deliberately said he was “nonchalant” about the fate of Sessions.

It is remarkable that Sessions survived for so long after recusing himself from the Russia investigation. He relied on Grassley for protection throughout his career.

As Fred Barnes reported for our sister publication, The Weekly Standard, it was the Iowa senator who blew up the Pruitt-for-Sessions scheme that the disgraced EPA secretary had been pushing behind the scenes. Grassley wanted to confirm judges. He did not want to sit through another round of confirmation hearings for a second attorney general.

But once his Senate bodyguard backed out, nothing was left to stop the long-expected axe from falling.

“The answer that I gave a year ago was directed directly at the president that I honestly didn’t have time to consider anything else. It was also somewhat of a defense of Sessions,” Grassley told the Washington Examiner earlier in October. “Now, I’m kind of nonchalant about defending Sessions. I like him very much personally, and I want him to be a good attorney general, but the president’s got a right to have somebody in there he wanted.”

Trump wants someone else, clearly. So, as Senate Republicans breathe a sigh of relief on Capitol Hill, Sessions breathes his last at the Department of Justice, abandoned by his bodyguard.​

3. DeeCee5

DeeCee5 Masshole and proud of it

Now that the Keebler elf is gone, does anyone know what Matthew Whitaker's position is on legalization of marijuana?

4. BabyFacedFinster

BabyFacedFinster Capo di tutt'i capi

Good riddance. Jackass.

I can't believe I agree with Trump on something.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 6:52 PM
  5. Diggy Smalls

Diggy Smalls Notorious

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

6. neverforget711

neverforget711 Well-Known Member

With this and the Mooch's gossip, sativa issues voters perhaps get theirs.

BigJr48 and pxl_jockey like this.
  7. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I think his position on marijuana is that Mueller's investigation should stay within the confines of Russian Collusion and not expand to other areas.

There's only one reason why he was picked rather than allow Rosenstein to take the post. But, he was a former prosecutor so I doubt his cannabis beliefs are as evolved as we might like.

What some others feel:
    https://www.marijuanamoment.net/where-jeff-sessionss-temporary-replacement-stands-on-marijuana/

BigJr48, DeeCee5 and pxl_jockey like this.
  8. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

Whitaker is only in the Atty Gen position for a short while. He’s just temporary until Trump finds some other person that can be confirmed by the lawmakers in January. Our lawmakers can’t do much now. Trump will find someone that will do his bidding for him. We might end up with a real hard nose like Sessions. It’s too soon to know anything. Cannabis I would assume would be low on the priority list with everything else that’s going on.

Trump will do whatever benefits himself. He has no core beliefs other than what’s good for him. I don’t think he gives a shit about cannabis or medical mj patients.

The states and the citizens for now will have to be there to change laws where cannabis is concerned. Wonderful news for some states just recently.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 10:00 AM
  9. BabyFacedFinster

BabyFacedFinster Capo di tutt'i capi

Some analysts are claiming that even appointing a temporary AG is unconstitutional as any AG must be voted on by the Senate and not appointed by the King, sorry I meant President. With the Senate being controlled by the GOP, this is at most a procedural stall but it makes the claim that anything decided by the current AG, including the ending of the Mueller investigation, would be invalid.

10. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

Jeff Sessions gone :)
    Who the replacement will be :) OR :( ????
    CNN article:
    Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump is considering former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi to replace fired Attorney General Jeff Sessions, sources familiar with the matter said.

These may be the only one (two) that could actually be WORSE than Sessions regarding cannabis??

Pam Bondi tried to block/sidetrack/ impose her will on FL, contrary to what the voters passed.
    " Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi's office filed a 57-page brief last week supporting Florida's ban on smokable medical marijuana, challenging an earlier ruling from a circuit judge. "

And Christie is a known cannabis hater. He spews ignorant shit and would also be really bad.
    New Jersey governor Chris Christie called supporters of marijuana legalization "crazy liberals" who want to "poison our kids" during a talk at a substance abuse conference on Monday, according to Politico.

Could there be a worse twosome of top contenders???
    Oh lord above, save us from this dark, cruel fate......

11. little maggie

little maggie Well-Known Member

Does it really matter what's unconstitutional given those in control right now? Trump will do what he wants.
    While many here are celebrating Sessions eviction I think his replacement is far worse. With the exception possibly of cannabis:

“I know a couple of families that are going to be positively impacted by what has happened in the state senate today,” Whitaker said of the Iowa legislature’s passage of a bill to allow certain patients access to CBD. “I think Congress, you know, should regulate the things that harm people. And that is the hard drugs, and the like that dramatically hurt citizens, cause violent crimes in our communities.”"

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 7:39 PM
  12. BornAgainSteama

BornAgainSteama Well-Known Member

Trump will do what he wants and I am glad to see Sessions feeling nice and shitty. Never liked Mr. 'anti cannabis' Sessions in the slightest.

As it stands congress lacks the backbone to stand up to Trump on the right or the left. Hell, both the GOP and the DEMS get their campaign money from the same people. So everyone in congress is afraid of either their donors or Trump. Which means the only people getting screwed are the working, shrinking, middle class. Politicians on the right and on the left love to lie and screw the working people.

We need to ask ourselves when our military industrial complex is spending almost a trillion dollars a year what we are so FUCKING afraid of? It is sad to be in such a paranoid nation. Imagine what kind of health care we could have with a trillion dollars?

The herd is for harvesting, everything else is a distraction.

BabyFacedFinster and Helios like this.
  13. howie105

howie105 Well-Known Member

It not all bad or good. Michigan, Missouri and Utah all made some progress and as a bonus some of the governors races were positive. As to Sessions he was a dinosaur that could have been dangerous but now he is gone. Downside we can't see into the future so it could still end up sucking, a lot.

14. little maggie

little maggie Well-Known Member

Lots of protests where I live about Sessions being fired because of concern about Mueller being debarbed. (Assuming he had any.)
    And I'm sorry for any Republicans but even though everyone is afraid to challenge T it feels like they've turned into a pack of hyenas. Except they are the wrong gender.

15. Alex3oe

Alex3oe Well-Known Member

something better is rare :(

BornAgainSteama likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors