Japan...........

lwien

I don't know if any of you have been watching what's happening in Japan right now, but man, those live shots of a 24+ foot tsunami rolling through those farmlands was...........well..........I was fucking transfixed to the TV. Un-fucking-believable. :uhoh:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/03/11/sot.tsunami.hit.japan.cnn?hpt=T1

Those poor people that lived on those farms didn't stand a chance and they were 100 kilometers inland.

More tsunami's coming in. On their way to Hawaii........

lwien,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Damm yes I'm looking at it right now! 8,9 sismic waves... This ain't a joke!
I'll cross my fingers and send "prayers" to that part of the planet...North Japan is such a lovely place... :(

FLskwat,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have a niece in Hawaii, and she just had a baby too. She should be ok, though.

Vicki,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
All the footage they've been showing this morning is horrifying. It's hard to fathom that kind of devastation. And even harder to understand the magnitude of the entire west coast of No. America, as well as So. America and Mexico being threatened by this.

momofthegoons,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
Yeah I was watching cars trying to outrun the water as it came across fields and roads. I've never seen anything like that, pretty scary stuff, I couldn't believe the power of it all.

nuvap,

reece

This is horrible. I found out at 3:30 this morning after finishing a class assignment. I almost don't want to see it.

reece,

Nosferatu

i live in Santa Barbara and there are tsunami warnings....really doubt it though

Edit. Oh shit...if that thread is right...should I leave California. I'm really starting to believe because of various reasons I heard that all the states touching the west coast of the US are gonna be under water...in 2012 or before...I really am scared now..then again I just vaped chemdog and heard the news so i hope not overeacting. Its really possible a solar flare or earthquake causes water rise.

We should make a 2012 thread posting all relevant and real news and data or findings or history that make you believe something is gonna happen in 2012. I never believed in it but recently there is too much pointing to the fact something, maybe not even catastrophic, is going to happen.

Nosferatu,

StickyShisha2

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

StickyShisha2,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Sticky, that is some incredible, crazy shit! What a shift like that could mean, ultimately, is a little scary to think about.

momofthegoons,

lwien

Any country that gets hit with a nuclear disaster is horrendous, but being that a nuclear disaster could very well be happening in Japan is a nightmare revisited on top of everything else.

Beyond sadness........... :(

lwien,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Eerie?

youtube

:uhoh:

2lvn3u9.jpg

The average total dose rate for the USA is 360 mrem a year. It has been estimated that your chance of dying from cancer increases 10% if you accumulate a total of 250,000 mrem. This would be over 3,000 mrem a year over 80 years, for example. This estimates presumably assume a linear risk factor between dose and the chance of getting cancer, and there are those who now dispute such assumptions, which means the risks from low levels of radiation may be overstated.

A single dose of around 450 R (450,000 mR) is usually considered produce death in 50% of the cases.

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It says 'Australian Radiation Services', but I have no idea if it's legit or not.
Found it on another board.

OhTheAgony,

lwien

OhTheAgony said:
It says 'Australian Radiation Services', but I have no idea if it's legit or not.

I sure as hell hope it's not. :uhoh:

Edit: Just in: ""We are assuming that a meltdown has occurred at a nuclear power reactor", Japan's chief Cabinet secretary says. "
----CNN

lwien,

Gunky

So far there doesn't appear to have been a significant release. But what they are telling us suggests it is stumble, bumble all the way and there still could be a meltdown followed by nasty stuff released to the atmosphere. When I look at what happened there it seems that they should have had redundancy at every level: multiple sets of batteries, multiple generator arrays, multiple cooling systems, etc.

Gunky,

lwien

Gunky said:
When I look at what happened there it seems that they should have had redundancy at every level: multiple sets of batteries, multiple generator arrays, multiple cooling systems, etc.

From what I've heard, they did. But any system, no matter how over engineered they are, "could" fail and if there was ever an event that could cause that to happen, this, sure as hell, seems to be of that caliber.

lwien,
Just wanted to add my :2c: here. I've been sending positive thoughts, energy, and prayers to all those affected. Asking those I know to do the same. God Bless

wunderkind,

lwien

Was watching a news segment last night of someone with a camera recording when the tsunami hit their small costal town. Showed loudspeakers on top of a building warning people to take to higher ground. Showed the townspeople climbing a steep stairway to seek that higher ground where they waited and watched for the tsunami to occur. They watched the water enter and totally destroy their town. Camera then panned back to an old lady on her knees silently praying. The camera stayed on her with a closeup of her face, blank stare, eyes slowly blinking with two hands together to her lips, in prayer, and then panned to a 10 year old girl crying and her mother holding her head close to her chest trying to console her, and then..............I shed a few tears. :cry:

I gotta stop watching this.

lwien,

reece

lwien said:
I gotta stop watching this.

Small doses. I turned on the TV news for the first time yesterday. Before then I just read articles. It is tough. I remember sitting here in Oregon glued to the TV when Katrina hit close to my hometown and the flood walls in my hometown failed. After days my daughter (the youngest wasn't born yet) asked me to stop watching TV because I was crying so much. Of course, that disaster involved my family and friends and places I had first hand knowledge of.

This event has reminded me, once again, that when you think you have it bad, someone else has it worse (I think I mangled that but you get the gist). In New Orleans people (some) were able to get to their roofs to wait for help. They were able to wade in the water to higher ground. That cant be done in a tsunami, especially this one. In New Orleans there was concern about oil and chemicals and snakes etc. in the water. In Japan they have a very real fear of nuclear radiation. My mom's and my grandmother's houses were under water for days and the cleanup and rebuild/remodel took years. My mom's house is almost finished now, thanks to some very kind charity organizations and young college kids from the area. In Japan, I can't even begin to imagine when they will find some semblance of normalcy.

My heart goes out to the people of Japan...

reece,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Earthquakes, a tsunami, eminent meltdowns, and now Shinmoedake is becoming active again as well?

Them Japanese must have some really bad karma going on there...

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom