J Hooks With Feet

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
I have a terrible prejudice against almost all J Hooks.

The only ones that make any sense to me are curved standing J Hooks (the ones with feet) like 1) in this list.

What's your experience of J Hooks?
Are some shapes designs better than others? What kind do you prefer, and why?

Perfect_Speed4069

That's helpful. Do they address my specific prejudice and compare different types, or just list j hooks? Also, can't find a way to delete this thread if it's not needed. Maybe a mod might help

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Lots of discussion there also about this specific issue 😁

blokenoname,

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Not really, yet! 🤷‍♂️
I was just starting to look into the j hook concept for use with the two 14mm & 18mm injector style GTR Log Vape clones, I recently built.

That's why I came across the existing thread.

blokenoname,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
That's helpful. Do they address my specific prejudice and compare different types, or just list j hooks? Also, can't find a way to delete this thread if it's not needed. Maybe a mod might help

I mean, yes, there are people that like the ones you like, and have shared them there, along with many other alternatives... It is the general hook thread... It would have been better for you to title this thread about your specific question about a specific hook, perhaps posted in the ask FC section? We can have the mods move it there... It just has such a generic title that it seems like it would be the same exact thing as that other thread which has much more info in it already

Complete respect for building stuff. Like I say. I'm deeply suspicious of anything that isn't sweeping curves with feet.

Why are you suspicious? I've found that right angle bends in hooks are much more effective at cooling the vapor and catching the particulates compared to their curved counterparts... I have a wide variety of both and others, there are other options for footed hooks as well, like removable from the base by OGB, but other standing options... These don't interest me at all, I would never want to stand a J hook up, that just seems like a precarious way to have it knocked over and break, there is zero benefit to me in doing that, I have not one problem with setting the hook down on its side flat on the table in between use... But yes that is just a personal thing, but there are so many options for great cooling hooks now, I would just be curious why you are prejudiced towards the style you say you prefer, if you have not tried or investigated others more??

badbee

Everybody has their preferences... Myself, I wouldn't ever set a tippy breakable glass object down on tiny little feet, I would always want it down sideways on the table. Feet on j-hooks don't really make sense to me, but that might just be me.

Perfect_Speed4069

Thankyou for your kind reply, and apologies for not doing basic searching before posting something. I really should know better.

As for the prejudice thing, it is what they mostly are: a reverse engineered preference, combined with an aversion to the perceived other.

I was hoping that someone like you would state a preference based on experience and understanding, and widen my horizons. Thankyou again. You already have.

I think the mods would be right to kill this thread. I'm not after a specific recommendation (so no need to rename/move this elsewhere) and I'd prefer not to advertise my inability to use the search facility if that's possible?

howie105

I have a terrible prejudice against almost all J Hooks.

The only ones that make any sense to me are curved standing J Hooks (the ones with feet) like 1) in this list.

What's your experience of J Hooks?
Are some shapes designs better than others? What kind do you prefer, and why?
I purchased a couple of J-Hooks from ELEV8, but they kept getting in my way or broken. I put a plastic loop hanger on the survivor, and it has lasted long enough to become one of my most used daily stems.

howie105,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I think the bias has to do with ease of loading when sitting at a table or flat surface. Being able to put the pipe down to load it is a bonus quite often.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
The Gandalf Hash Bowl Glass Pipe model is a new application to an old school model, and it’s a hash lovers favorite for very good reason. We skip the bowl hole at the bottom of this bowl and put vents near the rim instead. Using a hot pick tool, three vent holes are punched close to the upper rim. The Hash Edition version ships with a hot stick. Place a chunk in the bowl, heat the ball end of the hot stick with a common Bic Lighter for 30+ seconds and push the now slightly red ball of the hot stick into the chunk. As the chunk melts, it also vaporizes. The vapors are sucked into the vent holes before they escape the bowl.

I really should move to the USA where all the thinking folks are ;)

Haze Mister,
  • Haha
Reactions: BigJr48
Top Bottom