Is this normal ? Indicas making me paranoid

Regalizgirl

I got 7 strains to try when I went to the dispensary. Most of the ones I got are said to help with anxiety and depression. So the first one I tried was Pineapple Express which is a hybrid I believe sativa dominant. That one made me feel a bit tired but then happy. I tried Jack herer yesterday it put me to sleep ... It is a sativa. Then before bed I tried granddaddy purple to help me sleep. Well it did the complete opposite! My heart was racing and I kept feeling anxious and paranoid. I woke up several times and didn't get a good sleep. :|

I bought one other indica. For some reason the strains I got from dispensary are marked differently than what leafly says the strain is. The other indica is King Kong but on leafly said hybrid indica dominant.
Anyways I have had some edibles that where an indica strain was used. I felt paranoid and heart raced. Is this normal ?

The other strains I got are ACDC which I will try today sense it has high CBD. Strawberry cough and blue Hawaiian.

Ps don't worry none of the meds I got will go to waste. I will trade my cousin some stuff

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Time to start marking strains off your list. Take note of the thc % because you may just need less of a particular strain to feel relief without any paranoia.

I'd stick with lower thc and higher cbd strains.

Girl scout cookies is a strain that I don't do well with, it happens =/

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Indica strains do the same thing to me. The rushing, over stimulated, nervous type high that isn't good. I might like a mild hybrid indica but they still cause anxiety.

Any sativas I've tried have also had the same effects as you. They tend to leave me smiling and euphoric without anxiety. They boost my energy and I feel like doing things rather than playing video games.

I stick to sativa and sativa dominant hybrids now as I primarily use weed for anxiety.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
A good idea taking notes on what works and doesn't. I take notes. I wonder about the dispensary that you went to also? I'm curious sometimes if strains get mixed up.

When I first received my medical card I visited a lot of different dispensaries until I found my fav few. Those with a large variety of quality and a bud tender that is somewhat helpful. I've noticed some of the bud tenders don't really know enough about what they are selling. The farmers at the market I go to really know their product.

I've bought strains at a dispensary before where I thought my product was mislabeled. I often go to a medical farmers market for cannabis usually they are pretty accurate. I have a lot of variety available.

I stay away from straight sativas and go for the hybrid sativa dominate. I seem to like the Indica dominate better but it depends on the strain.

I hope you find strains that work well for you.

Edit
We are all different and strains affect us differently. Strawberry cough made me cough. I mixed another strain with it that had a smoother vapor taste.

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
PS: Strawberry Cough is such a lovely sativa strain of you can get over the "cough" aspect of it! I've never had something go down so smooth then instantly make me cough a moment later.
----------------

@CarolKing

I wish I could have the opportunity to thank and talk to the people who grow the plants like at the farmers market. I really appreciate that someone has the skill and care to produce some amazing product. This black market doesn't give skilled growers the respect they deserve.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
So many breeders pumping out so many new strains is leading to confusion of what genetics belong to what name, so 2 different breeders, both amnesia haze let's say, can have completely different genetics, so we cannot go on strain name alone...

If you know the breeder then you can find its true genetic make up and that will tell you if it's indica or sativa.

poonman

Anyways I have had some edibles that where an indica strain was used. I felt paranoid and heart raced. Is this normal ?
Edibles are definitely a different way of administering
your cannabis . It is very specific dosage dependent in
nature . And how it is made and with what ingredients .
It's not like vaping/smoking .

There is a belief that MJ makes you paranoid .
When I 1st started in the mid 70's . I would constantly
be looking over my shoulders . Since being licensed for the past
10 years and even maybe earlier . I don't fret over a " knock "
at my front door . I feel very at ease in my life currently with MJ .

You sound like you're a bit new to the MJ scene in regards
to usage . Experiment for yourself and take notes as others have
suggested .

The temp you vape at will be a factor also , besides strains .
You're in the right place here on FC ... ask away .

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
The temp you vape at will be a factor also , besides strains .
You're in the right place here on FC ... ask away .

Interestingly, I've found that I can reduce the anxiety from a strain that causes it by lowering my vape temp. 365-375 seems to keep the anxiety at a minimum but it's still not as good as avoiding the strain all together.

If I could get access to lab tested weed I could at least try different strains and know what compounds seem to set it off. I'd really like to know what is causing it so I can cut those strains out of my life.

Winegums,
Reactions: Vaponly

Regalizgirl

Thanks everyone , I tried the strawberry cough yesterday I put such a tiny bit in the stem. It didn't make me cough at all. I could feel this one pick me up and gave me some energy. I was too afraid to put more. The ACDC was great. I could feel a high even tho THC is super low. I think I will see what place has Harlequin and Charlotte's web near me.

Yes I have been taking notes so far Pineapple express and ADCD are good so far. I still have Blue Hawaiian left. I used the ACDC today and added a bit of Pineapple express to see how I feel.

@CarolKing

It isn't Legalized as recreational yet in California so I can't buy from the farmers not unless I know them. I actually do know a grower so maybe I can see if he can bring me something. There are just hundreds of Dispensaries in CA. Where I live not too many but I guess next time I am in Los Angeles ( 55-60 miles away) I see who is the best in that area. The dispensary I went to had good reviews and had a variety of strains. I also felt like the particular bud tender didn't know much. There is a dispensary very close to me but they didn't have anything but 1 strain i want to try which is Charlotte's web. Their prices are super high as well...

Regalizgirl,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Since you're in California, see if you can find some oil vape pens. The ones they sell out here in Colorado are the open vape pens, I think they do add some terpenes which is nice, but it's not the same taste as you would get from the flower. I like them for microdosing. You can really control how much you get (length of puff, number of puffs). I treat my anxiety with one and it works out really well.

Regalizgirl

Since you're in California, see if you can find some oil vape pens. The ones they sell out here in Colorado are the open vape pens, I think they do add some terpenes which is nice, but it's not the same taste as you would get from the flower. I like them for microdosing. You can really control how much you get (length of puff, number of puffs). I treat my anxiety with one and it works out really well.

What would be a good vaping pen ? I was actually looking for them but my head started to spin thinking about it. I really don't know anything about vape pens that take concentrates. I was afraid I couldn't find concentrates with what I wanted ( strain wise )

Regalizgirl,

howie105

I got 7 strains to try when I went to the dispensary. Most of the ones I got are said to help with anxiety and depression. So the first one I tried was Pineapple Express which is a hybrid I believe sativa dominant. That one made me feel a bit tired but then happy. I tried Jack herer yesterday it put me to sleep ... It is a sativa. Then before bed I tried granddaddy purple to help me sleep. Well it did the complete opposite! My heart was racing and I kept feeling anxious and paranoid. I woke up several times and didn't get a good sleep. :|

I bought one other indica. For some reason the strains I got from dispensary are marked differently than what leafly says the strain is. The other indica is King Kong but on leafly said hybrid indica dominant.

The other strains I got are ACDC which I will try today sense it has high CBD. Strawberry cough and blue Hawaiian.

Ps don't worry none of the meds I got will go to waste. I will trade my cousin some stuff

Lots of other variables to look at along with the strains. Existing physical and mental state, prescription medications dose sizes and as you noted method of indigestion all can play their part. In your situation I would focus on one strain at a time, its dosage and time of day of ingestion. Once you are have gotten the best results you can out of a strain then move on to another but it could take time and study.

howie105,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Maybe someone knows the reason for this but I notice if I have an empty stomach I get more medicated. I don't know if that is just me or if that happens to others. Just something to keep in mind.

HomeFree

Experiment and find out what you like which it sounds like you are doing. If you are new to cannabis it takes a while to get the hang of it. Try not to get too hung up on it all at first. Just enjoy yourself.

Go to different shops to evaluate product and service and don't give up on one the first time unless it was a really bad experience as you could get a bad budtender or someone could have a bad day or they could be directed to move a strain which isn't selling too well to noobs and people who do not come in that often. A good budtender (can't stand the name) should be able to talk different terpenes, strains, effects from each strain, etc.

Some strains I have weigh 2X (sometimes 2.5X) as much as others, for what looks like the same size nugget! :) You might simply be double dosing yourself with the indicas, if you are just dropping nugs into your stem and not grinding to the same consistency. Make sure you dome your screen real well so you can try some small loads.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
What would be a good vaping pen ? I was actually looking for them but my head started to spin thinking about it. I really don't know anything about vape pens that take concentrates. I was afraid I couldn't find concentrates with what I wanted ( strain wise )

Take a peep here - http://www.openvape.com/

I'm sure there are other vendors, but the open vape pens are popular in Colorado. Potency is good on the regular carts, the reserve carts are about twice as strong.

psychonaut,

Regalizgirl

A good budtender (can't stand the name) should be able to talk different terpenes, strains, effects from each strain, etc.

Some strains I have weigh 2X (sometimes 2.5X) as much as others, for what looks like the same size nugget! :) You might simply be double dosing yourself with the indicas, if you are just dropping nugs into your stem and not grinding to the same consistency. Make sure you dome your screen real well so you can try some small loads.

Yes the girl didn't seem to know much about which strains had higher cbd or lower thc.

The indica granddaddy purple, I only put a little in the stem same for the Jack herer and strawberry cough I put the smallest amount. I am really trying to not get high in where I can't move or functional. I make sure I am not needing to do something or go some where. I will try the granddaddy again just kind of scared now. I will put a tiny tiny bit in the stem maybe tonight. Not sure yet , I still have the King Kong and the blue Hawaiian to try. I will be going to this event tomorrow and I do have social anxiety as well. I will see how I do. The acdc gives me a high and it barely has thc. Makes me feel a bit light headed but not to bad goes away quickly.

Also someone said it depends on what you are doing on how some strains work ? My cousin told me this also but I was trying to sleep ..... ? I wasn't sitting up or watching tv I was laying down already drowsy from being tired naturally.

Regalizgirl,

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I was trying to sleep ..... ? I wasn't sitting up or watching tv I was laying down already drowsy from being tired naturally.

If I am naturally drowsy and falling asleep, any strain of cannabis will wake me up for a bit, until the initial high wears off a bit, hour or so, then I'll be sleepy again....

I think this is normal right???

Cannabis is a stimulant after all....

So it's to be expected....

Smoking used to make me instant sleepy, but it turns out that was me poisoning myself and mistaking it for being high, I find cannabis to be much more buzzy now that I vape and have quit smoking tobacco....

rodders83

Too many mind!

Stop thinking about it so much i reckon that is half the problem lol. A big dose of Indica after a t break does this to me too albeit without the paranoia. After a day or two on the strain it leaves and the proper effect shines through for me.

Just persisnt with one strain, And try to stop mixing for a bit and see how you get on with higher temps and lower temps too.

rodders83,

HomeFree

Cannabis perks me up for about 20-30 minutes and then it is usually nighty night time but I usually only use it right before bed. During the day it can make me too relaxed and end up taking a 2 hour nap, which to me is a waste of daylight, unless I really needed the sleep. I like to stick to real low dose edibles if I use any during the day.

As far as THC and CBD, most cannabis strains are high THC low CBD. It has been bred that direction for a really long time. There are high CBD strains available here in California but in my area they are not too popular and they also seem to charge out the nose, usually $450-550 an ounce in bulk! Maybe the strains do not yield very well? Also to conflate matters, if grown from seed, those high CBD strains could be high THC, balanced, or high CBD like Cannatonic is spread out. So if you get any high CBD stuff I would ask questions like what are the test results and was this from a clone or seed.

Top Bottom