Is there still a DARE?

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
A friend of mine got caught using his bong late at night by his kid who couldn't sleep. The kid is 9, loves her Daddy, is strong willed and she freaked out a little. Where they live MJ is NOT YET legal. He asked me for some advice on how to deflect the situation. He figured since my kids are grown I might have run into this before. My first thought wasn't how to come up with a good story. My first thought was 'Do they have the D.A.R.E. program anymore?' My kids are grown but I remember thinking back when my kids were his daughter's age that teaching a child to turn in their mommy and daddy because they love them and they are hurting themselves was brilliant and diabolical at the same time.

Anyone know if they still have programs like this?

His_Highness,
Reactions: Radio

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I know what you mean. Does that ever bring back nightmares.:uhoh:

They don't have the DARE program any longer in the area where I live now. It was around when my kids were in school. I didn't smoke cannabis in front of them ( I didn't vape in those days) It definitely put a damper on how I wanted to talk about cannabis in my household. My kids idolized the DARE officer. Every Thurs they would wear their DARE shirts. I didn't want them saying that their mommy smoked pot to officer so and so. I even remember his name. That was a real risk, that my children could have been taken away from me.

Now that my children are grown cannabis is legal in WA state. Recreational stores are still pretty screwed up with horrible prices at $18 a gram. The black market is still thriving and will if the prices don't come down. I have a medical certification for cannabis now.

Far as your friend goes he needs to switch to vaping to avoid the smell that you get with smoking. I would be at a loss. I guess to say that he is a grown up and as a grown up he can decide what to do with his body. He believe that cannabis helps him. It's probably illegal in his state, so that where the problem for him is. He could say that he believes that it shouldn't be against the law. Honey and please don't tell your teacher because daddy could go to jail. Then that only stresses the child more. It's a very hard situation to be in. That would be giving me anxiety.:ugh:

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: Radio

Radio

stay true to yourselves
Wow.. What a cruel and dark system that is! Placing a friendly government representative in there to mingle with the kids and weed out pot smoking parents (pun intended)
That must have been distressing for you Carol. Glad those days are behind us as a society

Radio,

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I know what you mean. Does that ever bring back nightmares.:uhoh:

Far as your friend goes he needs to switch to vaping to avoid the smell that you get with smoking. I would be at a loss. I guess to say that he is a grown up and as a grown up he can decide what to do with his body. He believe that cannabis helps him. It's probably illegal in his state, so that where the problem for him is. He could say that he believes that it shouldn't be against the law. Honey and please don't tell your teacher because daddy could go to jail. Then that only stresses the child more. It's a very hard situation to be in. That would be giving me anxiety.:ugh:

Thanks CK - Turned out OK for my buddy and his daughter. Seems she was pretty tired out from not sleeping that night and my buddy was able to convince her what she saw was something else entirely. And yes, I asked him why he wasn't using the vape and he said it was because he thought everyone was down for the night and he was too lazy to go upstairs where he left it. I know, I know.....

Wow.. What a cruel and dark system that is! Placing a friendly government representative in there to mingle with the kids and weed out pot smoking parents (pun intended)
That must have been distressing for you Carol. Glad those days are behind us as a society

Thanks Deja Vu for reminding me why I started the thread....to see if anyone had any experience with the program recently.

I got off my lazy duff and Googled it...sure enough the program is alive and well according to their web site. Didn't take the time to see if McGruff and the gang are still trying to convince kids to turn Mommy and Daddy in. Which brings me to another question....If MJ wasn't still part of their tactics how would you feel then? For example...what if the kid turned Mommy and Daddy in for crack? I find this a much tougher question to answer.......On the one hand I believe in the sanctity/privacy of the home and family...on the other a young child is involved.

Radio

stay true to yourselves
Hm.. I'd say that it's not so much the idea that kids are reporting their parents that bothers me (because a lot of parents probably deserve to be turned in for shooting up heroin, abusing their kids or committing violent crimes for example).

It's the idea that they are being turned in for partaking in the safer equivalent of going and getting a 6 pack of alcoholic drinks and sitting in their loungeroom to have one or two of them at the end of a working week..

Us MJ users are just doing that in the privacy of our own home. We are vaporizing as an alternative to garbage medicines from money hungry practitioners. We are vaping for a recreational buzz that cannot be faltered or matched in regards to its possitive health and well being effects.

Children should know that this is what it is. Interpret it how you want but there is nothing immoral or dangerous about our personal choice, and involving the police or government or school for Marijuana? what a joke.. Fuck off and leave us in peace, and don't contort the mental ideals of our children!

Top Bottom