NFC IPA aka ISO

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
I took two things away from this.

More Water Equals Slower Evaporation Times & Greater Surface Contact Time

And

70% IPA Is Less Likely to Explode Than IPA that is 91% and Up

Its nice to be reminded of things I know. Interesting article. I’ll certainly be buying some 70% when it finally gets back on the shelf.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Me, too. I knew that the higher the %, the faster evaporation because with makeup brushes you use 99% so that you can use re-use the same brush for different applications/colors. Just saturate brush head; wipe off & the brush dries instantly.

badbee

I took two things away from this.

More Water Equals Slower Evaporation Times & Greater Surface Contact Time

And

70% IPA Is Less Likely to Explode Than IPA that is 91% and Up

Its nice to be reminded of things I know. Interesting article. I’ll certainly be buying some 70% when it finally gets back on the shelf.

Huh, this article only seems to be meaningful when applied to the topic of medical disinfection. Vape equipment is normally cleaned via full immersion or repeated application with a cleaning tool (eg QTip), evaporation time is irrelevant and explosive potential is mostly irrelevant.

I don't see any facts that would indicate that 70% is better for the scenario of removing alcohol soluble resins through full immersion. A higher percentage ISO (IPA) will dissolve resin faster and with less work (and even faster if warmed).

If you need to use a fogger to disinfect surfaces I guess the 70% works better, not sure why a vape equipment manufacturer bothered with this.

ginolicious

I prefer 99% for the reason of less water and therefore quicker evaporate time. It’s like doing QWISO. Always want 99. Less crap to evap. Mind you I never get it all out and that’s why my qwiso use to give me head aches and I stopped doing it and vaping it.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
70% can be had right now and is on shelves at most all CVS locations if you ask for it. It is available and well stocked, but they are limiting purchases to one bottle per customer.

The 91% still goes nearly immediately after they land (in small batches once a week).

FlyingLow,
Reactions: OF!

z0r

I regularly use Everclear, which lasts me a long time (I have a few mason jars of different volumes for cleaning/soaking). Failing that, in MA there is an analog called Graves, it's 95% EtOH I believe.

A few months ago I tried exclusively using hot water and H2O2, it definitely worked well but required more elbow grease.

thunderstealer1337

just heat it up - a lil (i use like 50/50)

it will explode in microwave so be careful

but heated up iso is like cold room temp iso on max lvl 50000000

Thunderstealer1337,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
just heat it up - a lil (i use like 50/50)

it will explode in microwave so be careful

but heated up iso is like cold room temp iso on max lvl 50000000
I microwave a coffee cup filled with water and then drop a ziploc filled with 99% iso into it for a couple minutes. I hear about people microwaving iso all the time and although I've never heard of any mishaps, it scares me for some reason. Heated iso does seem to be more effective IME. :twocents:

:peace:

MoltenTiger

I microwave a coffee cup filled with water and then drop a ziploc filled with 99% iso into it for a couple minutes. I hear about people microwaving iso all the time and although I've never heard of any mishaps, it scares me for some reason. Heated iso does seem to be more effective IME. :twocents:

:peace:
Every 10°C doubles the rate of reaction.

I've been using methylated spirits recently to clean things, it does a pretty good job. I don't know the concentration but it'd be >70% I guess. I did microwave a bubbler (with a small amount of metho inside) the other day to melt some residue, and after a very short time (less than 20 seconds) it was extremely hot and volatile. It did the job very well but I'll be more careful if I ever microwave alcohol again because it is crazy how much energy it retains after such a short time. Normally I'd heat it like you describe with some form of water bath or by shaking a filled piece under a hot running tap.

I used some PBW the other day because I ran out of hot tap water, so boiled the kettle to clean some glass.
It works so well and is much friendly to the hands and the environment compared with alcohol. But strong fresh alcohol is nice and easy and suits some pieces better.

MoltenTiger,
Reactions: Summer
Top Bottom