Iolite - my glass shaft alternative

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Ok , I've had a few people ask about this so I decided to do a thread on it.

I'll start with this , when I first got my iolite , I hadn't had it for 7 hours and the shaft snapped off at the thread , in the middle of the 3rd use. I did one bowl when i first got it , then one bowl 2 1/2 hours later , then 3 hours later I had another bowl , well half a bowl because the shaft snapped off half way through , my first thought was WTF , I haven't even had this thing 24 hours , then my brain kicked into modification overdrive.

So, when I got home , I took out the old thread out of the chamber and started scouring my collection for something with a similar thread pattern. Then I found it , and couldn't believe how cheap I could find more for. You know those cheap ass one hitter pipes you get on a key chain for a buck , well if you take it apart , the shaft is the same thread as an iolite chamber. So I took the shaft and cut it to approx. 3/4" of an inch. Then pulled out a glass one hitter and tried to fit my new thread into it , a little loose , so i added a piece of antenna as a sleeve between the thread and the hitter and there it was , nice fit that has never come apart . The other nice part about this is that the one hitter act as a condenser so the vapo-gold collects quickly and is easy to harvest due to it being glass.

After a couple of test bowls , I was looking at the iolite and I thought to myself , damn this thing just isn't stealth enough , I mean it's nice to look at but sea blue on black stands out like a sore thumb , so I covered over the blue with black vinyl wrap . The Celtic iolite version is mostly black but I think an all black option would be nice as well.

All in all , rather than bitching about my costly purchase that didn't last 12 hours , rather than contacting Ireland to wait who knows how long for replacement , I just made it better and to my personal taste . I can not stress enough how much I love this product , I use it every day . Though I can't recommend it as a primary vaporizer , it is an excellent portable unit for out and about activity.

p.s. that shaft was clean 7 bowls ago !

Samsquanch,
Reactions: Phenix

frogbmth

Nice post!

You know you can also just peel the coloured sticker off the casing. I have lost count of how many times people have asked me why I take a walkie-talkie everywhere. The hissing strengthens that perception too!

frogbmth,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
My iolite came with - plastic shaft with plastic threads
My iolite now has - glass shaft with stainless steel threads

like my p.s. before , that shaft was clean 7 bowls previous , any color other than silver and clear glass is resin .

As for just ripping the blue stuff off the sides of the iolite , I didn't want to mess up the warranty and be accused of taking this thing apart in case this thing truly does fuck up and I gotta send back to the Emerald Isle.

Samsquanch,

kcnsierra

Samsquanch said:
, so i added a piece of antenna as a sleeve between the thread and the hitter and there it was, nice fit that has never come apart . The other nice part about this is that the one hitter act as a condenser so the vapo-gold collects quickly and is easy to harvest due to it being glass.
"Antenna" like one from an old walkie talkie or radio?

Thanks for posting a specific thread on this, will give it a try and fabricate one for myself!

kcnsierra,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
kcnsierra - yes , exactly like from a radio .

Just a little side note , if you plan on using just metal for the shaft it gets pretty damn hot . I tried a few different lengths before i came up with my insert length of 3/4" . When using just antenna i had to use a piece 10" long and it still got kinda hot on the lips , that's where the glass comes in , it doesn't carry the heat as much. Good Luck :)

Samsquanch,

kcnsierra

Next time I'm in the thrift store, I'll keep an eye out for a radio w/antenna.
Thanks for the specific length of the antenna insert sleeve, it will make fabrication much easier. If I come up with any other solutions, I'll post them up here as well.
Nice idea putting the link of this thread in your sig: This thread will get a lot more attention!

kcnsierra,

nsaP

Thanks for this. I found a small metal pipe at a cigar/rette shop that's not quite a perfect thread fit but it does well enough and it's about 3cm long. Shockingly they did not have the short glass pipes there, so I'll have to try a proper headshop for that.

I thought about other options too. The metal piece I have is threaded on two ends so I can cut it in half and have a couple connections. I was thinking about trying just some tubing on the end of it for a "whip" so to speak.

nsaP,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
nsap - i wouldnt put tubing on the metal insert , it get very damn hot

Sorry didn't mention about the glass pipe before , it's just one of those cheap one hitter pipes you get at head shop or corner store , I'm sure any glass pipe will do , i just like that mine has a condenser in the shaft so vapo-gold build up faster and generally makes for a tastier vaporizer

Samsquanch,

Derf

Samsquach, you are a man after my own heart.

THis is what I made, about two days after getting my Iolite.

imageukk.jpg

It is a simple solution: a piece of 1/4" medical grade silicone tubing used as a union to connect the iolite metal-threaded stem to a glass pasteur pipet. We have tons of these glass pipets in a lab I work in, and I just cut one down to about two or three inches. It works great. You can order them from Fisher Scientific if you want about 500 of them.

Things I like about my creation: The silicone tubing is a flexible union, so if you flex your staw, the pressure isn't on the glass (which might snap it). This is the #1 thing... other things include:

It is super cheap for me to make (anyone else want one?). Glass size is perfect diameter, and you can make it as long as you like (up to 6 inches). Glass is easy to clean, and easy to tell when it needs cleaning. Glass helps cool the vapor faster (in my opinion). Glass tube extends the max possible length of the straw, for maximum cooling. Easy to remove or attach.

Derf,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Nice going Derf :cool:

I think everything has room for improvement , vaping is a personal thing and it should be tuned to personal taste .

Samsquanch,

nr-cole

Derf said:
Samsquach, you are a man after my own heart.

THis is what I made, about two days after getting my Iolite.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5756/imageukk.jpg

It is a simple solution: a piece of 1/4" medical grade silicone tubing used as a union to connect the iolite metal-threaded stem to a glass pasteur pipet. We have tons of these glass pipets in a lab I work in, and I just cut one down to about two or three inches. It works great. You can order them from Fisher Scientific if you want about 500 of them.

Things I like about my creation: The silicone tubing is a flexible union, so if you flex your staw, the pressure isn't on the glass (which might snap it). This is the #1 thing... other things include:

It is super cheap for me to make (anyone else want one?). Glass size is perfect diameter, and you can make it as long as you like (up to 6 inches). Glass is easy to clean, and easy to tell when it needs cleaning. Glass helps cool the vapor faster (in my opinion). Glass tube extends the max possible length of the straw, for maximum cooling. Easy to remove or attach.

I'm eager to try this out! Derf, if I Paypal'd you shipping and costs would you throw one together for me?

mod note: You need to contact the member directly, through email, for questions like this. Buying, selling, trading in the threads (other than the one provided), is not allowed.

nr-cole,
hey samsquanch i think your idea is sick i'm going to try to make my own i'll post pics when i do i'm going to try and pop out the stainless threads that come on the iolite shaft and place them inside a small strip of medical grade tube to make a snug fit inside the onehitter and see how that works anyone have any other ideas i can try i love the way that first pic looks

CanadianHero420,

OO

Technical Skeptical
i use something very similar to the mouthpiece as a vape itself, i just pack herb up to the pinch and heat the outside with a lighter.

OO,
Top Bottom