Iolite and Colibri.... What am I doing wrong please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lo

Combustion free since '09
So, my first time ever in my life playing with Butane... In US and have looked all over for the different brands suggested by Iolite.

I have only found Ronson (I know, sucks), Benzomatic?? and Neon (says Ultra pure but...I wonder)

So my dumbass orders TWELVE cans of Colibri on Amazon... I have filled the thing with Ronson which I knew wasn't good, then found the Neon and it worked well and then Colibri arrived - thought I was SET!

I tried to re-fill with a can but it seemed to just vent the tank like I was using the tool. Vented tank with tool and tried again... No go! Tried a different can of Colibri and still a no go!

The plastic tube thing on Colibri "looks" the same size as the Neon metal tube which I had no trouble with. The Colibri does NOT come with different attachments but the lid of the Neon did with plastic bits on cap that I have NO idea how to use.

Has anyone used Colibri with Iolite?? The cans I have are silver with blue cap, red plastic filling tube and the 3.04 oz size.

Has anyone heard of Neon?? Crap, I have this wonderful new toy and I'm scared I'll break it... Ordered a backup and thought I had butane situation covered but...

Any suggestions appreciated please and thank you ;)

Lo,

max

Out to lunch
Any of the brands you have should work. Colibri is the best of the three, but I used several cans of Ronson with no problems. The iolite has a filter for impurities. You may have a problem with the valve on the can matching up to the valve on the iolite, but I haven't heard of any problems with Colibri. :shrug: I'd try the attachments you got with the Neon and see if you don't get a better fit.

max,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Thanks Max... After several more tries I do believe the tube is not fitting Iolite valve. I did pry a plastic one off Neon's cap but since their metal tube is the perfect fit I'm assuming the others would not.

I tried making the hole bigger in a plastic attachment... They don't fit the Colibri bottle though at all... I tried using by holding them all together and still a no go... The attachments dont seem to attach at all though trying to push them on does make gas come out.

I think I'm going to have to do some alterations to make an attachment work.... I thought they fill valves would be a standard size but I'm thinking I was WRONG :( 12 bottles of the good stuff and I can only use the cheapy stuff...bummer! I will attempt to make a tube that fits them.

Lo,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
i had problems all the time with colibri which was the only thing i used in my unit before i got rid of it. maybe thats why it never worked........:hmm:

illadelph,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
vector for me....:D

also, I had 'problems' filling the unit once. I would turn my IO upside down and attempt to fill with butane. Well after remembering what I had read/learned in the IO thread it struck me....butane gas is heavier than air :doh: So I kept it right side up and dumped the butane in proper :tup:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

mrshock486

Hey,

I use Calibri myself and it works fine. I don't use any of the additional valves that they offer(mine is the silver bottle with clue cap and in the cap are choices for like 10 other valves). I was having problems filling mine in the beginning because I kept emptying my tank instead of filling it (pushing down on butane too lightly) before I went out and that was a big drag. Anyway, like the instructions say, hold the iolite right side up and the butane can upside down. you push it down and it starts making a sound, but you have to push it down one level further(a little harder than you'd think) and you'll hear a different sound. I hope this makes sense but you just have to push down harder on the tube (it goes from a higher hiss to a little lighter one). I assume you're filling it properly but this is what I did wrong for a bit but now it's all good. You really have to use a bit more pressure on the can to get it to fit nicely onto the nozzle, at least that's my experience with that can and my friends both had that problem too. Anyway, hope this helps!

p.s. if you overfill, make sure you wait 5 mins before firing it up

mrshock486,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom