Insomia from pharmaceutical stimulants

meltingcortex1

INTRODUCTION

My name is Jon and I have a 20 year history since I was 12 of being prescribed Ritalin, Adderall, d-amph, and other stimulants for my ADHD and ADD. I am looking for strategies to get a full complete total nights rest.

Unless I take a weekend off from my medication (which I do sometimes) the stimulants tend to build up in my system resulting in insomnia. I usually take anywhere from 2 - 4 Advil PM before I started smoking weed every night to get a good nights rest. I applied for a recommendation (I live in cali) because I feel like the Advil PM for insomnia might be unhealthier than the pot smoking. And because I like the pot high :)

As this post may be a little lengthy for some, I have bolded and highlighted my questions in green.

MY OWN EXPERIMENT

- Bud Only
Strains experimented: Thin Mint GSC, Yoda OG, XXX OG, Louis OG, Mercury OG, Purple Candyland
Dose: .2 grams / nightly
Temp: 196 degrees Celsius
Draw specifics: 10 - 12 draws / 5 seconds per draw (for future reference if temp of mighty falls 10 degrees below 196 degrees Celsius, I wait for it to reheat the chamber to the desired temp before taking my next draw)

I bought a Mighty vaporizer and I have tried smoking some potent indicas flower like XXX OG, Louis OG, SFV OG and Yoda OG. Halftime through the night usually around 1 - 2 PM the weed effects leave and I need to hit the vape again just to feel that heavy feeling...I never had this problem with Advil PM. That usually carries me through to about 6 AM in the morning. I vape about .2 grams until the bud is brown and the taste goes burnt.

Conclusion: Still wake up in the middle of the night having to revape. Despite the high THC content of some acclaimed hybrids that bud tenders said would sedate me, it seems like when combined with amphetamines these hybrids almost have a stimulating effect. I am wondering if the bud tenders mistakingly assumed my sober state of mind and the sedating effects a high THC strain would have. Some insight on this would be useful. Do higher THC strains have a more sedating effect? The conclusions I draw from my own research is they provide a more psychoactive stimulating effect and CBN makes you sleepy. And furthermore THC degrades into CBN over time. Because of this, should I allow my pot to be exposed to oxygen before I smoke it if fixing insomnia is my primary goal? The true indicas (non-hybrids) have a noticably better effect in making me feel drowsy and sleepy than the top-shelf high THC hybrids.

- Bud with concentrate
Strains experimented: SFV OG (flower) /w XXX OG (shatter)
Dose: .2 grams (flower) / nightly & .1 grams (concentrate)
Draw specifics: 10 - 12 draws / 5 seconds per draw

I bought XXX OG shatter concentrate and put it right in the middle of my SFV OG batch and turned on the mighty. The way I loaded it was by putting some freshly ground SFV OG halfway, putting a little .1 gram piece of XXX OG shatter in the middle and on top of that filling it all the way with SFV OG. After taking more than 10 / 5 second draws I was fairly stoned...but still woke up in the middle of the night. I had to wake up to take 4 more draws to fall asleep until morning time.

Conclusion: Like the Bud Only test, I had to wake up in the middle of the night to revape. I did seem to get more stoned when I added the concentrate. So even though the intensity of the effect was higher, the duration of the effect was still pretty short. Duration was similar to the Bud Only test. It is important to note the intensity of the stoned feeling in this test was the most out of the 3 tests.

- Concentrate Only
Strains experimented: XXX OG (shatter)
Dose: .2 grams (concentrate)
Draw specifics: 6-8 draws / 5 seconds per draw.

The next night I put the concentrate oil pad into my Mighty, put 2 pieces of .1 gram XXX OG shatter in the middle of the pad and vaped .2 grams of concentrate. The vapor was not as much and lasted fewer draws. Just to make sure I completely vaped all of the material, I opened the chamber spontaneously when I was getting no more vapor draw. The shatter was all gone.

Conclusion: I also had to wake up with the concentrate only test. Had to reload the vape with .1 grams XXX OG shatter and revape it around 1 am. I go to bed around 9 am. The intensity of this effect was I had a stoned heavy feeling (body high) without the euphoria (mental high). Seeing as bud with concentrate provided the body and mind high effect better, I feel like the Bud with Concentrate provided the most subjective stoned feeling for falling asleep.

GENERAL CONCLUSIONS

Out of the three tests Bud Only, Bud with Concentrate, and Concentrate Only I drew the following comparative conclusions.

In terms of strength for making me drowsy from strongest to weakest: Bud with concentrate > Bud Only > Concentrate Only.

In terms of duration all three methods of applications failed to produce the desired effect of 8 hours of continuous sedation. All three required reapplication after 4 hours of sleep.

Possible confounding variables include: strain differences, quality control in strain labeling and actual content across different dispensaries and THC strength

MY QUESTIONS

1) Do higher THC strains have a more sedating effect?

2) Should I allow my pot to be exposed to oxygen before I smoke it if fixing insomnia is my primary goal? This allows the THC to degrade into CBN. If so, how long should I let it be exposed?

3) Are there more effective ways to medicate with concentrate? It seems like for the price I pay in my area (around $50 for a gram of shatter) its a rip off smoking shatter for how quickly it disappears in my Mighty and the effect it gives. This observation leads to the following questions:

- Would a concentrate specific vaporizor instead of a hybrid vaporizor use the shatter more efficiently?
- Should I change the temperature on the Mighty vape to vape concentrates more effectively?
- Should I get a dabbing rig? What are the differences in effect and duration when using a dabbing rig instead of my Mighty vape?

4) What is the best way to research strains for sedation?

I have tried the following methods and measured their effectiveness:

a. Ask budtenders - low effectiveness
b. Research strains on google and Leafly and buy the strains with a high medicinal value for treating insomia - med effectivness

My ultimate goal is to get a full 8-hour nights rest with full REM cycles without having to wake-up to revape. Is this goal possible? I am open to other ways of consuming the marijuana. What other factors can I manipulate to maximize the sleep time I get from my medication.

Warm thanks for your time and consideration in writing a response.

- Jon

Last edited:

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Hi Jon and welcome to FC :tup:

The first question that comes to my mind is have you tried edibles?
I don't have much experience with them personally, but the effects usually last longer :shrug:

Pyr0,
Reactions: Derrrpp

meltingcortex1

Hi Jon and welcome to FC :tup:

The first question that comes to my mind is have you tried edibles?
I don't have much experience with them personally, but the effects usually last longer :shrug:

I've tried edibles. Initially a 20 mg dose with edibles would make me super high. Now, even if I take a 50-75 mg dose in edible form it doesn't hit me hard enough to put me to bed.

I wonder if the solution is just to increase intake. If that is the case, my tolerance has grown quicker than is preferable.

I would strongly advise looking into tinctures!
Tinctures have a weaker effect than vaping concentrates for me. In fact, I use tinctures during the day when I need to calm down and stop being so ADHD. Maybe I am looking at the wrong tinctures.

Mod note: posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
meltingcortex1,
Reactions: killick

herbivore21

@herbivore21 would be a great asset to this thread!
I'll be back later on to have a good read over this thoroughly detailed post later. From my previous days I have a long history of amphetamine experience and can say that even with dexamphetamine we need to bring out the big guns to fight that cumulative dose insomnia. That doesn't mean buds, it certainly doesn't mean heady pale clear shatter. This means nothing but higher doses of dark amber dabs.

You also should consider dabbing for much quicker intake/dosing/effect and higher temp ensuring more transfer efficiency of the THC and also more degradation to CBN. It will not taste as good but taste is not what you need here.

I used to be prescribed the kinds of drugs people use to sleep on even hard amphetamines. I have managed to hone my insomnia treatment by making my own extracts and am happy to assist you here with any help or questions you may have.

I wish you all the very best in your cause too, insomnia is really debilitating.

I personally would not combine any edible with amphetamines by the way. Edibles process through your gut into delta 11 THC which for me causes much more anxiety than the delta 9 from inhalation. Combining anything potentially anxiogenic with amphetamines is an awful, awful way to go IME

Last edited:

meltingcortex1

I'll be back later on to have a good read over this thoroughly detailed post later. From my previous days I have a long history of amphetamine experience and can say that even with dexamphetamine we need to bring out the big guns to fight that cumulative dose insomnia. That doesn't mean buds, it certainly doesn't mean heady pale clear shatter. This means nothing but higher doses of dark amber dabs.

You also should consider dabbing for much quicker intake/dosing/effect and higher temp ensuring more transfer efficiency of the THC and also more degradation to CBN. It will not taste as good but taste is not what you need here.

I used to be prescribed the kinds of drugs people use to sleep on even hard amphetamines. I have managed to hone my insomnia treatment by making my own extracts and am happy to assist you here with any help or questions you may have.

I wish you all the very best in your cause too, insomnia is really debilitating.

I personally would not combine any edible with amphetamines by the way. Edibles process through your gut into delta 11 THC which for me causes much more anxiety than the delta 9 from inhalation. Combining anything potentially anxiogenic with amphetamines is an awful, awful way to go IME

Thank you for all your input! This is just the advice I was looking for. Since I am kind of new to the community, I have no idea how you define "dark amber dabs." Is this wax? Oil? Shatter? What would I look to buy as a concentrate in dispensaries? I did my research online and shatter is supposedly the highest concentrated form of THC...moreso than wax and oil.

In terms of your own extracts is it a complicated time consuming process? What materials do I need?

Lastly, could you link me to a good dabbing rig set-up on amazon or on an online store?

Thank you,
Jonathan

meltingcortex1,

Chill Dude

For me, I've recently found that edibles work great for insomnia. Vaping or smoking can certainly be effective for initiating sleep. However, if your issue is waking up and difficulty going back to sleep, edibles may be a better option. I take an appropriate edible dose approximately 1.5 to 2 hours before bed. Most edibles take anywhere between 40 minutes to 1.5 hours to kick in. I sleep great and when I wake up in the middle of the night I still feel kind of stoned with that heavy body and relaxed mind feeling which enables me to drift back to sleep easily.. Unlike vaping, edibles can last 4 to 8 hours. I have never read that there any negative interactions between Stimulants and Cannabis. However, if you do decide to give edibles a whirl, please start with a low dose (Indica/Hybrid) You can always up dose latter. When you're new to edibles a large starting dose is not a good idea as some find the experience a bit overwhelming...

I'm certainly no expert on ADHD, but isn't there immediate release and extended release stimulants? My nephew has ADHD and I recall he had insomnia issues when taking the extended release Ritalin or Adderal. When he switched to the immediate release he no longer had those issues.. For instance a 10mg dose of Ritalin only lasts like 4 or 5 hours so its easier to control effects vs those time released stimulants that can last 12 hours or more and seems more likely to disrupt sleep..

Chill Dude,

Skyscraper

I think herbivore means that a high dose of THC on top of strong stimulants can make you feel like you're dying from a heart attack.
One night I was doing something that required moderate exertion and had a bad experience with amphetamines after blazing. It could have just been my elevated heart rate and racing mind causing panic, but I've never taken those pills again because of my family's cardiac history. My roommate at the time was out but I considered 911 because my arm felt tight, my breathing was shallow, and I started to sweat quickly. No chest pain but still.

Sometimes when I get baked too quickly that feeling comes on again, which makes me think it was a panic attack but it seemed bad at the time. It sucked being alone and imagining your roommate finding you dead on the floor

Chill Dude

@Skyscraper , yeah I get what you're saying that a large dose of stimulants and some powerful weed or oil could possibly bring on palpitations and a general feeling of unease for some people. However, be aware that the OP is taking prescribed doses of amphetamine type medication. It's not like he's doing meth or coke like a recreational drug user.. Also, by nighttime it's likely that the medications are almost out of his system, but as he said there is a little lingering effect still that causes some insomnia...

There's no way to know until you try as everyone's biochemistry is different. Starting with a low dose edible would be a safe way to see if it helps sleep without side effects. I always get a great nights sleep with edibles:zzz:...

mikek9

Vapor Enthusiast
I have taken prescribed stimulant medication on and off for about 10 years, adderall to be specific in an average dose for a male for adhd, non-hyperactive type. The most notable side effects I have experienced have been decreased appetite and insomnia.

What I would suggest for insomnia are a few things. First is take the medication as early as possibly because the extended release formulations can last from 12-16 hours. This helps to ensure you can be tired around the time you need to be. Secondly, you can possibly think about lowering the dose to the least amount that provides some help. I lowered mine just 5mg and that has greatly improved my insomnia. Additiionally you should make sure to take drug holidays possibly a week every few weeks or month or two or a day or two a week. This can help to flush your system.

I have pretty much always used cannabis while taking prescribed adderall for adhd and found it very helpful in overcoming the side effects of the medication. It can help to simulate appetite and induce sleep near the end of the night. The only thing is I find cannabis sort of negates the effects of the medication. I find that if you take the mediation and smoke at the same time you sort of reduce the effectiveness of it. So I wouldn't generally mix the two I would use cannabis after the tasks have been completed. Specifically at the end of the night.

mikek9,
Top Bottom