im cooking coconut oil with AVB, does this look right ?

pressure

anbtcp.jpg

is this right? My mason jar is floating sideways. I put 17 grams of AVB and a couple scoops of cocobut oil

pressure,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
You could put something heavy on top of the jar to keep it in place. Once the coconut oil starts to melt it won't be as bad.

Madcap79,

pressure

You could put something heavy on top of the jar to keep it in place. Once the coconut oil starts to melt it won't be as bad.

cool im excited. I was telling my friends about my recycled weed. they are interested to see if this really works. I have my doubts though. but we will see

its now turned to liquid and it looks black... so I leave this for 6 hours then freeze it for 8? everyone has their own ways, I think this way was the one someone said to do it

pressure,
Reactions: Madcap79

Madcap79

cool im excited. I was telling my friends about my recycled weed. they are interested to see if this really works. I have my doubts though. but we will see
I used about the same amount to make some brownies. It was nothing mind blowing but had a nice 'painkiller' type of effect. My brother enjoyed them. :) Your mileage may vary. Hope it works out for you.

Madcap79,

pressure

I used about the same amount to make some brownies. It was nothing mind blowing but had a nice 'painkiller' type of effect. My brother enjoyed them. :) Your mileage may vary. Hope it works out for you.

interesting, the only time I had a mind blowing experience was when we made brownies, but we just used regular weed. but I was so high... did you use AVB or real weed?

so is this method with the oil suppose to do some kind of chemical reaction to make it stronger? all my AVB was vaped under 210.

pressure,

Madcap79

interesting, the only time I had a mind blowing experience was when we made brownies, but we just used regular weed. but I was so high... did you use AVB or real weed?

so is this method with the oil suppose to do some kind of chemical reaction to make it stronger? all my AVB was vaped under 210.
I used ABV. It won't make the ABV 'stronger' but all the goodies will bind to the fat in the coconut oil so you don't have to ingest any of the plant matter.

Madcap79,

pressure

I used ABV. It won't make the ABV 'stronger' but all the goodies will bind to the fat in the coconut oil so you don't have to ingest any of the plant matter.

how long do you cook it for? also, is there a golden ratio of AVB to coconut oil?

im trying to reduce my variables, already I think I used to much oil, there is like an inch of oil over my AVB...SMH

33oo4n5.jpg

Last edited:
pressure,

Madcap79

how long do you cook it for? also, is there a golden ratio of AVB to coconut oil?

im trying to reduce my variables, already I think I used to much oil
Usually add enough coconut oil to just cover the material when it is melted. That'll give you the most potent oil. I did mine for 12 hours I believe. There are different theories on how long to actually let it simmer.

Madcap79,

pressure

Usually add enough coconut oil to just cover the material when it is melted. That'll give you the most potent oil. I did mine for 12 hours I believe. There are different theories on how long to actually let it simmer.

yeah so many variables. I myself like to use the same thing as the next guy who made the most potent batch...down to the brand of crack pot to cook it in... if I can.....these things all mater if you ask me.

can I use this process for say, shake weed? My friend always has shake laying around of good trees, and I ask him to give me a deal on the shake. This way im not losing buds. I would think the shake has more THC then my AVB....

pressure,

MinnBobber

can I use this process for say, shake weed? My friend always has shake laying around of good trees, and I ask him to give me a deal on the shake. This way im not losing buds. I would think the shake has more THC then my AVB....
Yes, shake works great for this process. Especially if you get a good deal on some. High quality shake can have more goodies than some ABV so it can be very potent. Let us know if you try it

MinnBobber,

pressure

Yes, shake works great for this process. Especially if you get a good deal on some. High quality shake can have more goodies than some ABV so it can be very potent. Let us know if you try it

im going to try it, do I need to decarb the shake or can I just put it in there?

pressure,

Madcap79

I think the general consensus is to decarb but I'm not sure it's necessary? I guess it depends what temp your crockpot runs?

Btw, I've only done this once, so I'm no expert.

Madcap79,

pressure

I think the general consensus is to decarb but I'm not sure it's necessary? I guess it depends what temp your crockpot runs?

Btw, I've only done this once, so I'm no expert.

well this is my first time

..i mean, so far I think I used to much oil, not only that but I left the lid on this oil, which can explode and cause a fire since I left it sealed tight and left it alone for hours...

not only that but I was shaking this around while it was hot... for all I know this could explode on my body and burn me....

so far its been in the thing for 6 hours cooking. I dont know what temp my crack pot runs its frustrating it just has 2 temp settings.

pressure,

Madcap79

Having the lid on it is probably ok. I mean they are used for canning so it should be ok. Just don't shock it by changing temps rapidly. Open it away from your face as well, haha.

I would go ahead and decarb the shake.

Madcap79,
Reactions: zor

pressure

Having the lid on it is probably ok. I mean they are used for canning so it should be ok. Just don't shock it by changing temps rapidly. Open it away from your face as well, haha.

I would go ahead and decarb the shake.

well I just stopped the thing. its been on there for 6 hours. Im scared to open it...

pressure,

MinnBobber

IMO, always better to be safe rather than sorry and decarb that shake! Then you know it is for sure decarbed. If skip and go to extraction with a crockpot of unknown temps, then the decarb is unknown--maybe but maybe not??

For precision quick decarb one can go 240 F for shorter period but I never like to cut it that close to mid 200's where some terps can possibly go too. Again, I'd rather make sure they don't.
So for me, oven at about 210 for 2 1/2 hours and I'm confident it is decarbed and ready for any edible process.

pressure

IMO, always better to be safe rather than sorry and decarb that shake! Then you know it is for sure decarbed. If skip and go to extraction with a crockpot of unknown temps, then the decarb is unknown--maybe but maybe not??

For precision quick decarb one can go 240 F for shorter period but I never like to cut it that close to mid 200's where some terps can possibly go too. Again, I'd rather make sure they don't.
So for me, oven at about 210 for 2 1/2 hours and I'm confident it is decarbed and ready for any edible process.

So after the process is done, what next ? I see some people say put the oil in freezer first. Can I take a sip of it? Should I freeze it? some people said freezing it will make it stronger, others say its already done, do I have to wait for it to harden?

pressure,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
If it's done try it out after you strain it. You will want to figure out a dose. Try out a tablespoon. I only use edibles late in the day just in case they are too potent. Then I can just go to sleep. Remember it can take a while to kick in.

Last edited:

pressure

If it's done try it out after you strain it. You will want to figure out a dose. Try out a tablespoon. I only use edibles late in the day just in case they are too potent. Then I can just go to sleep. Remember it can take a while to kick in.

I just empty some 500MG l-arginine pills I had empty it and pour it in.... took one. I have read somewhere where people freeze it, and then reheat it again, and do that cycle 3 or 4 times... supposedly it makes it stronger I dont know.

is there any tricks that people use, that are not listed on the tutorials ?

pressure,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It's going to be hard to fill capsules. Usually folks get a capsule filling machine. You would be better off cooling your oil until it's solid if you are doing this by hand. I hope you bought the right kind of capsules that won't dissolve after a few days.

You don't need capsules. You can always dose by the tablespoon or teaspoon. I was on a trip last summer and I brought my jar of cannabis oil and used a couple tablespoons late in the afternoon. It didn't taste bad. After a few hours I was mildly medicated.

CarolKing,

pressure

It's going to be hard to fill capsules. Usually folks get a capsule filling machine. You would be better off cooling your oil until it's solid if you are doing this by hand. I hope you bought the right kind of capsules that won't dissolve after a few days.

You don't need capsules. You can always dose by the tablespoon or teaspoon. I was on a trip last summer and I brought my jar of cannabis oil and used a couple tablespoons late in the afternoon. It didn't taste bad. After a few hours I was mildly medicated.

well it was pretty easy to fill the capsules I was surprised...I hope they dont melt... but its been about an hour and I dont feel anything.

I guess Im looking for the intense body high I got from eating the brownies that time. We just dumped a bunch of weed and made brownies. It was intense walking around...

im going to try less oil next time, and fresh shake bud

Oneeyeisbetter

im going to try less oil next time, and fresh shake bud

I encourage you to try that. I have my approaches. To avoid picking up chlorophyll with coconut oil I use a brief contact time prior to extraction.

One coconut oil way that has been working for me with bud is to oven decarb (6-9 grams cured flower, ground or chopped, 240-245 deg F at 17-20 minutes), then cover in a canning jar with melted coconut oil, shake vigorously for 2 minutes, and press out using a garlic press or equiv, through a fine tea-bale filter. Longer than 2 minutes starts pulling too much green tint for me. This makes a potent salve for localized pain management, for localized stimulation of blood flow, and sublinqual use. Potency (high THC/CBD concentration) is key in my view. There is a fair amount behind which deserves recovery: I could pick up as a rinse with coconut oil or olive oil - low potency, but good for massage oil, for edible.

To hold the terpenes better, the next time I oven decarb will be 2x the time and 18 deg F lower temperature. I expect the same level of decarb per the 19th century Arrhenius equation: reaction time doubles for each 10 deg C drop in temperature. Reaction time drops by 50% for each 10 deg C increase.

I also am doing a quick freezing cold alcohol wash of not-decarbed flower using Radic Al Conscious' approach (pdf).

A theory, inspired by another FC post, and which I am soon to test, is that holding the alcohol extract for 3 months will result in natural decarboxylation, the way herb fully decarbs naturally during a 6 month cure.

Recovering the residual is easier after alcohol wash than with oil. I recovered a rinse of the spent wort (and press equipment and glass) with alcohol and water, than cool evaporated it down to a cannabis oil. Was shatter like until it absorbed humidity which turned it to a low grade dark brown waxy/sappy intergrade with a higher melting point than a quality amber wax would have.

Last edited:
Oneeyeisbetter,

pressure

I encourage you to try that. I have my approaches. To avoid picking up chlorophyll with coconut oil I use a brief contact time prior to extraction.

One coconut oil way that has been working for me with bud is to oven decarb (6-9 grams cured flower, ground or chopped, 240-245 deg F at 17-20 minutes), then cover in a canning jar with melted coconut oil, shake vigorously for 2 minutes, and press out using a garlic press or equiv, through a fine tea-bale filter. Longer than 2 minutes starts pulling too much green tint for me. This makes a potent salve for localized pain management, for localized stimulation of blood flow, and sublinqual use. Potency (high THC/CBD concentration) is key in my view. There is a fair amount behind which deserves recovery: I could pick up as a rinse with coconut oil or olive oil - low potency, but good for massage oil, for edible.

To hold the terpenes better, the next time I oven decarb will be 2x the time and 18 deg F lower temperature. I expect the same level of decarb per the 19th century Arrhenius equation: reaction time doubles for each 10 deg C drop in temperature. Reaction time drops by 50% for each 10 deg C increase.

I also am doing a quick freezing cold alcohol wash of not-decarbed flower using Radic Al Conscious' approach (pdf).

A theory, inspired by another FC post, and which I am soon to test, is that holding the alcohol extract for 3 months will result in natural decarboxylation, the way herb fully decarbs naturally during a 6 month cure.

Recovering the residual is easier after alcohol wash than with oil. I recovered a rinse of the spent wort (and press equipment and glass) with alcohol and water, than cool evaporated it down to a cannabis oil. Was shatter like until it absorbed humidity which turned it to a low grade dark brown waxy/sappy intergrade with a higher melting point than a quality amber wax would have.

My first batch was a complete failure. I'm going to try with either shake of high grade or regular outdoor mid grade

I ate 10 oil capsules this morning and didnt feel anything

Is it possible to make 1 thc pill extremely powerful? Im looking for the correct ratio of weed to coconut oil and that soy lecithin ratio to make 1 powerful pill

I'm not going to use avb that's weak if going to chef it up and use real weed. But like you said its all about experimenting which i like to do. I'm using an acer laptop with a 9 series nvida video card and running os x 10 on it...apples so slow these days its amazing how they still sell products...

So I'm off to do some reasearch , everyone has got their own way of doing things

Top Bottom