If cannabis were made legal tomorrow...

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
How would the market create itself into the mainstream?

Would we see several big names come into the market and saturate it with a consistently consistent strain of their own? (Like the BMC of the beer market and the PM and RJR of the tobacco world?)

Would there be a ceiling placed on THC or even CBD/CBN ratios? (Even though they are NON TOXIC)

It seems like the market now (from an outsiders prospective) is like the craft beer market in a sense. But nothing consistent (at least over state lines) I ask this because of my session tonight. I had a couple of stems of some salad blend - very lifesaverish and tasty. I followed it up with my 'dessert' vape of a choco flavored strain I have on hand as well.

Personally I like variety of variance when it comes to cannabis. Same of when I enjoyed beer.
But my tobacco...

AGBeer,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Anyone on this board would most likely have no interest in commercial grade bud, just like they don't now. So Sure, there will be a market for it, but still a market for high end buds for us connoisseurs just like with beer and such. I would be buying mostly and only organic bud if I could and if it became legal this is what I would look for specifically.

As for the a cap on the amount of THC, well the plant already does that to itself topping the possible level of THC in a plant at around 24% if I am correct, so I hope they wouldn't impose a lower level than that.

aesthyrian,

lwien

AGBeer said:
How would the market create itself into the mainstream?

Would we see several big names come into the market and saturate it with a consistently consistent strain of their own? (Like the BMC of the beer market and the PM and RJR of the tobacco world?)

I don't think so, AG. I think there will be brand new players in the market pitching their own unique strains along with other new players taking on the traditional strains but touting their superior genetic and growing techniques.............kind of like the wine market.

Then, once these new players establish themselves in the market, some of the big boys will begin to buy 'em out.

That's kind of the way I see it although I've heard that some tabacco companies have already trademarked some cannabis related brand names. Don't know how true that is though.

lwien,

fidget

The tobacco companies have had names trademarked for 50+ years and would have ready rolled joints in packs of twenty on the shelves within weeks.
They would aggressively dominate the mainstream market and only cater to "connaisseurs" if there was a buck in it.

A memo provided by the tobacco document information service of the American Lung Association of Colorado, and Tobacco Documents Online, references a 1976 report prepared for the Brown and Williamson Tobacco Corp by Forecasting International, Ltd. The report can be found online at www.tobaccodocuments.org/bw/548359.html. An excerpt from page 57 (page 67 of 77912-2673 in the archive) of this eye-opening 1976 document reads:

"The use of marijuana today by 13 million Americans is socially the equivalent of the use of alcohol by some 100 million Americans. It is the recreational drug; the choice of a significant minority of the population. The trend in liberalization of drug laws reflects the overall change in our value system. It also has important implications for the tobacco industry in terms of an alternative product line. "(The tobacco companies) have the land to grow it, the machines to roll it and package it [and] the distribution to market it" (Reference 200.) In fact, some firms have registered trademarks, which are taken directly from marijuana street jargon. These tradenames are used currently on little known legal products, but could be switched if and when marijuana is legalized. Estimates indicate that the market in legalized marijuana might be as high as $10 billion annually...."

fidget,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I would be a happy damn camper!! That much I know ;)

Lo,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
I keep saying if its not legal by 20xx im moving to N. Cali.

The gov't has till about 2015 before I start seriously considering moving

JDSupreme,

momatik

I'd think we'd see marketing behind a specific strain.

Maybe we'll see many business models like what we have with Pineapple Kush in Cali today.

momatik,

crawdad

floatin
Lo said:
I would be a happy damn camper!! That much I know ;)

exactly. no more hiding would be the immediate and long term benefit. im a veggie grower already so would add it to the boxes without worry. :)

crawdad,

steven22

one huge thing i would be looking forward to with legalized MJ is the amount of new commers that will emerge into this hobby.

one thing that sucks around where im from is, none of my friends smoke, and Im always by myself, and because its illegal most of my friends wont even try it.

I would bet that when its legal, atleast a quarter of my friends will try it and those are all new pleasant memories waiting to happen.

I could care less about the market, dispensary, .. I get my herb just fine and I smoke my herb just fine when ever and where ever I want... I dont feel like im missing out on anything.

steven22,
Top Bottom