iDosing.... newest trend among teens

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Has anyone else heard of this? idosing. Basically what it breaks down to is that they are using binaural beats to tap into and change frequencies in your brain, making you think you are on particular drugs.
they have sound clips that vary in length from 10 minutes all the way up to almost an hour. After you listen to them your supposed to feel similar effects to specific drugs depending on which sound clip you are listening to.
All kinds of videos of kids trying it out on youtube.
authorities are worried that this trend will eventually turn into a gateway drug and lead from digital to analog drugs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZcgUEkBIX0

I have used binaural tones in the past to help reduce my anxiety. . . they do work.
But I was unaware that they were being used in this way. I did manage to try one of tracks that the idosers are using. called Hand of God... was an interesting experience, almost like inducing an anxiety attack for me on that one....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

DevoTheStrange,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
idosing sounds like the audio version of Neal Stephenson's book "Snow Crash" -- imho a great read!

Hippie Dickie,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Wow! They did a piece on our local radio about "digital drugs" when my son & I were in the car the other day.

Mind you, he's a comedian much of the time but is quite serious about many things, not into drinking or drugs at all.

Without missing a beat after the news piece ended he remarked:

So, will they now come out the High on Demand PPV video channels?

I about cracked the hell up! I meant to do some research on this just to see what this is all about. Thanks for the reminder.

Lo,
Reactions: killick

greystr0ke

I actually downloaded the entire torrent which included all the "doses" as well as the actual player. This was about 2-3 years ago. Lets just say that I'm glad I didn't pay for it. It did absolutely nothing for me except waste my time. I sat there with headphones on listening to horrible sounds for 45+ minutes, multiple times with no such effects.

http://www.i-doser.com/

greystr0ke,

stinkmeaner

DevoTheStrange said:
I have used binaural tones in the past to help reduce my anxiety. . . they do work.
But I was unaware that they were being used in this way. I did manage to try one of tracks that the idosers are using. called Hand of God... was an interesting experience, almost like inducing an anxiety attack for me on that one....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats
Thank you for this, I have had anxiety for many years and do not like the feeling of Benzos that the doctor tries to give you, I tried them one time and it just made me tired, and considering how it addictive they can be, it was a no brainer to flush the rest of them. I seem like when you tell your doctor you have anxiety issues they just want to dope you up.

stinkmeaner,

indigal

Amongst the corn
greystr0ke said:
I actually downloaded the entire torrent which included all the "doses" as well as the actual player. This was about 2-3 years ago. Lets just say that I'm glad I didn't pay for it. It did absolutely nothing for me except waste my time. I sat there with headphones on listening to horrible sounds for 45+ minutes, multiple times with no such effects.

http://www.i-doser.com/
Yeah- NPR did a segment on it- boiled down to- it's bunk.

indigal,

toxicc

E11001420
First, there is ads for fake buds on their website. Second, their "premium" doses (gate of hades and hand of god) cost 200$, and i really doubt that they do what they describe. I tried idoser a little years ago, but not enough to say if it does anything more than relaxing when listening to slow sounds with headphones and closed eyelids. They could have tryed to really describe what the different "doses" really do, but they choose instead to say "this is cannabis, this is ecstasy, this is heroine.......) Bad marketing = probably bad product.

toxicc,

GreenLeaf

I tried an early version of this with sounds/patterns in a binaural program that are supposed to change your brain waves, and it did not do anything for me even when I was already on drugs or when I was sober.

This article reads as though it belongs in the onion.

GreenLeaf,

bcleez

Is listening to stever miller's fly like an eagle intro considered i-dosing?

bcleez,

jinithith2

it made me want to go pee really badly.
but seriously, interested to try this some more. apparently it kicks in after 10-15 times of using it.

jinithith2,

5446ThatsMyNumber

hahaha this post is awesome. binaural beats sounded so odd/interesting that I wikid it really quick. Turns out that entrainment, or making your brain waves tune into a certain frequency, is possible with binaural beats.

after doing a quick literature search though, I saw that several studies said it didn't really do anything. There were a few studies, some just preliminary, that said it did help some patients with anxiety.

however, I also read the argument that our brains processes produce a certain brain wave, but that the opposite isn't necessarily true - dialing into a certain brain wave doesn't have to mean that the brain's processes change as well. That did it for me, and convinced me that it was probably bunk.

probably some placebo affect involved as well.

entertaining to read about when vaked :D

5446ThatsMyNumber,

gb902

Vaporog
I tried a similar program "I-Doser", about 2 years ago. It is based on binaural beats, so it is scientific based.
You should listen 30, 40 minutes (or even more) to weird sounds, without distraction (very hard to do). The result is a little strange effect and light mental confusion, and lasts only few minutes.
However you need some good headphones, or some essential frequences will be lost.
Each dose is very expensive, for example a marijuana dose costs about 10$ (and it can be used only one time). :/
So it can't be compared to a vaporizer.

gb902,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
If the jack booted authorities get a hold of this they will form a Binaural Enforcement Division and declare all headphones, speakers and Binaural CD's as being paraphernalia.

Lycanthrope,

darkrom

Great Scott!
gb902 said:
I tried a similar program "I-Doser", about 2 years ago. It is based on binaural beats, so it is scientific based.
You should listen 30, 40 minutes (or even more) to weird sounds, without distraction (very hard to do). The result is a little strange effect and light mental confusion, and lasts only few minutes.
However you need some good headphones, or some essential frequences will be lost.
Each dose is very expensive, for example a marijuana dose costs about 10$ (and it can be used only one time). :/
So it can't be compared to a vaporizer.

There are "cracked" versions that allow you to use a dose over and over again and come with almost all doses. Interesting for those who like to try before you buy.

darkrom,

PerseusStoned

I tried this about 2 years ago with one of my wealthier friends. When we did it there definitely seemed to be something going on, but I'm not convinced enough to believe it wasn't a placebo. The way I understood it working is that it plays certain sounds which generally generate a specific activity in the brain (i.e. static, church bells, things that we associate with specific feelings). After "setting your brain up" in such a way, it proceeds to lead you through the "trip".

Something I was told no one here seemed to mention was that you have to have access to certain frequencies and audio programs; you can't just download to iTunes and kick it (note the richer friend's involvement). Additionally you need higher quality headphones as the sounds need to be pitched perfectly against each other.

Like I said, wouldn't be surprised if it was a placebo, but at the time it did seem to make sense and work.

PerseusStoned,

accrete

On the WET! Coast of Oregon
Additionally you need higher quality headphones as the sounds need to be pitched perfectly against each other...

Realizing this is an old thread but i'm a new kid on the forum so thought i'd add what i've come to understand on the topic (during 35+ years of study). I just shared a bit at a related thread (here is that post if interested).

Directly related to the _headphone_ comment, yes one would need headphones if they were listening to old technology Binaural Beats... but the "Entrainment" industry has moved on. The most popular mode of audio entrainment involves the use of Isochronic Tones which can be listened to with or without headphones and have been scientifically shown to have greater entrainment abilities than the older Binaural Beats.

Now a comment on the general idea of the i-dosing... I can't speak for the website or those files they were marketing... but... during my research i have known of individuals and myself to of touched on states of mind that were quite psychedelic and out-of-this-world...

In the end, IMO, the technology is not something that will impact each mind/body connection in the same way. What _does_ work for me, might not do a thing for you. And that's ok. It's why we have Chevy's, Fords, etc.

Cheers,
Thom

accrete,

ChippyMalone

Be here now.
Accessory Maker
I have this thing called a "Light/Sound machine". My brother was a sports psychologist and used these with the world class athletes he worked with to help them improve themselves mentally. How exactly he did this I do not know, but he would set me up with it when we got high back then in Palo Alto and i had a great time. A few years later, I bought my own.

It is a little walkman looking thing with glasses that have colored LED's in them and headphones. Lots of programs from deep relaxation to high energy to short naps to all sorts of weird monkeying around with brain waves. You close your eyes and flashing alternating beats at various tones and frequencies and flashing lights similarly.

Honestly, it really trips me out too much to use it. My wife uses it as a recreational drug sometimes with one of the really hallucinogenic programs. You definitely get visual hallucination that are essentially the same as anything I've ever experienced.

Well, now that I'm thinking about it, I actually have not used it since I became a MMJ patient. Sounds like I need to do a deep vaping session followed by some light sound machine experimentation. I saw it in a drawer the other day so I even know where it is.

Good night FC, and thanks for the great idea for tonight's entertainment. I'll report back my findings.

ChippyMalone,
Top Bottom