1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

I'd like to jump straight to the electronics...

Discussion in 'DIY' started by DarkStar851, Nov 13, 2016.

1. DarkStar851

DarkStar851 New Member

I'm thinking of a design to improve the electronics in a device like the Milaana, with a contained LiPo pack instead of 18650s, and a regulator for the coil. But I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone sell a heating element that could be used for a ground-up design?

I feel like just buying an older/broken vaporizer (like a Milaana, or one of the older Firewoods) and using it for the housing and heater would be an easier route. Would appreciate any suggestions!

ZC likes this.
  2. Hippie Dickie

Hippie Dickie The Herbal Cube Manufacturer

not sure what you mean by "regulator for the coil" ... i use a MOSFET controlled by a microprocessor to do temperature control in my vape design.

i make a LiPo (actually, LiFePO4) pack with two 26650 cells, on a cable - i keep the batteries away from my face.

link to thread with details (a LOT of details) in my signature.

3. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

Milaana uses a SS mesh feathered around a piece of mica, not really a coil.

You could use an okr chip to add regulation. Lots of documentation on those from the ecig scene.

As for "off the shelf" heaters, there doesn't seem to be much, but you might find a cartridge heater that works for you.

4. DarkStar851

DarkStar851 New Member

Heh, I actually developed one of the first OKR breakout boards in the ecig community. It's a nice option but I'm not crazy about requiring a 2S configuration.

Thanks for the info about the heater though. I guess that's not the best option then. I'll work on a design and figure out my electrical constraints.

The GE NSR020A0X43Z is my target platform if I have to use a 2S supply. Shouldn't be unreasonably large if I use a LiPo pack.

It was my intention to avoid anything with a low switching frequency (the buzzing drives me insane), so I was thinking of using a 12-20A DC-DC SMPS to regulate voltage to the heater. It'd allow an adjustable experience, so while it'd still be on-demand without temperature control, you'd have control over the intensity of the heater.

It also enables UVLO assuming I find a regulator that matches the characteristics closely enough. The Naos Raptor series has a "hiccup" protection that kicks in when the input voltage is too low to sustain the desired output current.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    friedrich likes this.
  5. virtualpurple

virtualpurple Well-Known Member

Have you had any progress on this front? I don't understand a word of what you guys are talking about but I am definitely interested in the end results!

ZC likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors