I need a Portable Vaporizer that works well with vegetable glycerin tinctures

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenSylum

and does not emit any toxins the way that E-Cigs do. Please give me some suggestions.

Thank you.

GreenSylum,

herbivore21

VG has been found to release polyaromatic hydrocarbons when vaporized, and as such can't really be considered non-toxic no matter how it is vaporized.

If you wanna vape safely, use vape pens that work with undiluted concentrates (and make sure to buy clean, high quality oils) or get a good flower vape. ;)

Last edited:
herbivore21,

GreenSylum

VG has been found to release polyaromatic hydrocarbons when vaporized, and as such can't really be considered non-toxic no matter how it is vaporized.

If you wanna vape safely, use vape pens that work with undiluted concentrates (and make sure to buy clean, high quality oils) or get a good flower vape. ;)
But I don't understand how Vegetable Glycerin can be toxic, I thought it was clean and safe to vape. I already put all of my buds in a vegetable glycerin tincture and are now waiting the recommended 2 months before it becomes usable. Did I just waste all of my herb?

GreenSylum,

herbivore21

VG is clean to eat. The research that has so far been conducted has shown that vaporizing VG creates polyaromatic hydrocarbons (ie: benzene and the likes) which are known carcinogens. They create less of these chemicals than smoking, but still, this is completely unnecessary. Anybody interested in harm minimization should not touch VG/PG.

nowonknows

VG is clean to eat. The research that has so far been conducted has shown that vaporizing VG creates polyaromatic hydrocarbons (ie: benzene and the likes) which are known carcinogens. They create less of these chemicals than smoking, but still, this is completely unnecessary. Anybody interested in harm minimization should not touch VG/PG.
Heating VG to specific temps will release something a rather. What it is I don't recall, though the temp that it was released at was high enough for it to be of no concern. Research for yourself, I previously did and as so dismissed any concern.

nowonknows,

herbivore21

Heating VG to specific temps will release something a rather. What it is I don't recall, though the temp that it was released at was high enough for it to be of no concern. Research for yourself, I previously did and as so dismissed any concern.
I am a scientist. I have read the literature. I have communicated it on this board in many, many threads. Heating vg to the boiling point (~290c) releases polyaromatic hydrocarbons. Not 'something a rather'. I do not mean to be short with you but I must be clear in communicating the science surrounding this matter, as whilst vaping VG is not as highly toxic as smoking, it does contain many of the same toxic chemicals in lower concentrations.

herbivore21,

GreenSylum

I am a scientist. I have read the literature. I have communicated it on this board in many, many threads. Heating vg to the boiling point (~290c) releases polyaromatic hydrocarbons. Not 'something a rather'. I do not mean to be short with you but I must be clear in communicating the science surrounding this matter, as whilst vaping VG is not as highly toxic as smoking, it does contain many of the same toxic chemicals in lower concentrations.
Is it too late to take the herb out of the tincture? It's been in there 2 days now.

GreenSylum,
Reactions: as

Skeena

Standing stone faced like a statue.
I think it would be impossible to clean the glycerine off the herb. I don't think you wasted the herb, the tincture can still be used orally to great effect, you could take some of the tincture with you on the go just like a vaporizer.

GreenSylum

I think it would be impossible to clean the glycerine off the herb. I don't think you wasted the herb, the tincture can still be used orally to great effect, you could take some of the tincture with you on the go just like a vaporizer.
I'll get more herb later on, but I'd like to know for future reference if there is a safer extraction method than vegetable glycerin? I don't want to use isopropyl alcohol anymore and I definitely don't want to use butane as these are both harmful chemicals. Is there another extraction method that doesn't require harmful chemicals?

GreenSylum,

herbivore21

Isopropyl is only dangerous if you don't purge it out properly or if you try to purge it in a poorly ventilated area and breathe in huge concentrations of the vapor during purge (or do something completely stupid like leave a source of ignition near it). Same goes for clean unadulterated butane. If you can't fully purge your concentrates properly, you should not be making them. It is not worth it! Hell we could use methanol and it would be perfectly safe so long as it is purged properly (still, please do not try this at home guys! IME 4 in 5 home extractors do not purge their solvents properly).

Have you considered trying dry sift tek to get lovely full melt glandular trichs straight off the bud without any solvent? It is time consuming but it is gonna give you better results once you get good at it, and is not at all dangerous :)

Last edited:
herbivore21,
Reactions: Seren

nowonknows

You are a scientist.... Congratulations? I explained my vagueness in my post, yet you still feel the need to criticise me for it, only to follow up with your own vagueness? What chemicals in what quantities are released at what temperatures?

nowonknows,

herbivore21

Please do not get me wrong. I'm not here to bicker my friend. Even the most favourable scholarly literature warns that vaporizing VG and/or PG in traditional ecig carts cannot be described as safe, whilst the evidence does suggest it to be much safer than combustion.

I do not mean to be short with you. I just don't care to redo a discussion I've had before around these parts many times.

herbivore21,
Reactions: CarolKing

BuzzDanklin

I'll get more herb later on, but I'd like to know for future reference if there is a safer extraction method than vegetable glycerin? I don't want to use isopropyl alcohol anymore and I definitely don't want to use butane as these are both harmful chemicals. Is there another extraction method that doesn't require harmful chemicals?

What about everclear?

GreenSylum

Isopropyl is only dangerous if you don't purge it out properly or if you try to purge it in a poorly ventilated area and breathe in huge concentrations of the vapor during purge (or do something completely stupid like leave a source of ignition near it). Same goes for clean unadulterated butane. If you can't fully purge your concentrates properly, you should not be making them. It is not worth it! Hell we could use methanol and it would be perfectly safe so long as it is purged properly (still, please do not try this at home guys! IME 4 in 5 home extractors do not purge their solvents properly).

Have you considered trying dry sift tek to get lovely full melt glandular trichs straight off the bud without any solvent? It is time consuming but it is gonna give you better results once you get good at it, and is not at all dangerous :)
Although I agree that when completely evaporated, isopropyl alcohol poses little harm to your health. I've been making isopropyl alcohol hash oil for about 8 years now and really want to stop using chemicals all together because as far as I'm concerned, no matter how much you 'purge' them, it's still chemically altered hash and there will always be tiny remnants of the chemicals left over even if you don't think they are present.

As for those dry sift techniques, I think I'm going to finally go for it and do it the old fashioned way. I've been avoiding those methods for years for no good reason whatsoever and I think it's finally time for me to make hash the way they do in Morocco and Egypt. Thanks for reminding me.

What about everclear?
I'll look that up but I've never heard of it before.

Please do not get me wrong. I'm not here to bicker my friend. Even the most favourable scholarly literature warns that vaporizing VG and/or PG in traditional ecig carts cannot be described as safe, whilst the evidence does suggest it to be much safer than combustion.

I do not mean to be short with you. I just don't care to redo a discussion I've had before around these parts many times.
That's okay, you're most likely right about it. I'm new here.

Last edited by a moderator:
GreenSylum,

BuzzDanklin

I'll look that up but I've never heard of it before.

I think the acronym you want to look up is 'QWET' for the everclear directions. Its a similar procedure to QWISO, but isporopyl alcohol is a stronger solvent so you have to swirl the everclear a bit longer

nowonknows

Vaporising anything cannot be described as safe.
As I said, I have looked into it in past and found nothing to be concerned with. The temperature of which concerns become apparent simply are no where near reached with any vaporiser.

nowonknows,

GreenSylum

But the main reason I started this thread was to know which vaporizer to buy. Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable vaporizer that will do concentrates without releasing chemicals the way E-Cigs do? Hopefully under $200?

GreenSylum,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
As I said, I have looked into it in past and found nothing to be concerned with. The temperature of which concerns become apparent simply are no where near reached with any vaporiser.
I'm no scientist and I've also heard that Vegetable Glycerine isn't good to vape with. I've read it in several places on FC by more than one member. Don't get upset we are just trying to help. Friends helping friends.

Last edited:

Sativen

Pure taste/Dense Vapor/no more than 200$, SOLO is really a good choice,only one thing is that it's not small enough,you gotta have a big Pocket.but battery power will satisfied you anytime.

. Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable vaporizer that will do concentrates without releasing chemicals the way E-Cigs do? Hopefully under $200?
In this way the Vaporizer Oven need to be totally sealed. the Herbstick vaporizer seems also a choice,Oven totaly sealed,price under 200$but nearly 200$(189.9$),the one which looks like a TARDIS!
Edit: you can find it on eBay around 100$ through

Last edited by a moderator:
Sativen,

GreenSylum

I actually need a vaporizer that is good with both concentrates as well as herbs. What about the Atmos Raw? Does that one emit any toxins from the metal it is made of? That's what I heard in an ABC report that some portable vaporizers release toxins from the metals they are made of.

GreenSylum,

nowonknows

I'm no scientist and I've also heard that Vegetable Glycerine isn't good to vape with. I've read it in several places on FC by more than one member. Don't get upset we are just trying to help. Friends helping friends.

I'm in no way upset, simply promoting logical thinking mate.
As you have said you have heard that vaping vg isn't good for you. I have heard the same in past.
If you look into the information available you end with a better understanding of the concerns as well as the potential risks.

In the cause of vaporising VG there is minimal risk as the temperatures which nasties are released is above the temp of operation.

If you "vape" plant matter at a high enough temp all sorts of nasties are also released, the same level of concern is applicable to both.

nowonknows,

max

Out to lunch
What about the Atmos Raw?
Not a good option. Consider the Haze. It's not under $200 but you're asking for a lot for a little. Get quality instead.
some portable vaporizers release toxins from the metals they are made of.
Not at vaping temps they don't. You'll find aluminum and stainless steel and both are fine at the temps involved with producing vapor.

max,
Reactions: CG420

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

Not sure if I agree with that statement. That, "vaporizing anything cannot be described as safe." It's a great debate topic though. I use cannabis medically and it's far better than pharmaceuticals but that's a different thread and topic.

I don't know if I agree with the statement that, "vaporizing anything cannot be described as safe." A great debate topic for medical users and recreational too. A different thread and topic though. No derail.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

nowonknows

I don't know if I agree with the statement that, "vaporizing anything cannot be described as safe." A great debate topic for medical users and recreational too. A different thread and topic though. No derail.

My statement is accurate in the sense that breathing in vapour of any kind is less safe than breathing clean air. The magnitude of concern is minimal and not worth noting, but it will be by those with an agenda.

nowonknows,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom