I LIKE this guy............

lwien

Yeah, just saw it today.

While I know that there are atheists on this board who don't believe in religion or Jesus or any God for that matter, this guy, within the context of religion, just makes so much sense.

lwien,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Yeah, just saw it today.

While I know that there are atheists on this board who don't believe in religion or Jesus or any God for that matter, this guy, within the context of religion, just makes so much sense.

I agree! This is exactly why our family is not attending any churches at this time. We have yet to find any where we feel God's presence, and not sure we ever will.

Vicki,

lwien

So you're more concerned about his rhyming than what he actually said?

I guess it's that age old question. What's more important, content or context?

In this example, I'd pick content.

lwien,

lwien

So, meh means to you that you didn't agree with him, or that you didn't think it made logical sense, or................what actually?

lwien,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I failed to catch the message tbh. Fuck religion! Believe in Jesus! :shrug:

:peace:

Stu,

lwien

I failed to catch the message tbh. Fuck religion! Believe in Jesus! :bang:

Really? Is it that hard to understand that one can believe in Jesus while at the same time being against organized religion as it has and is being practiced?

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
lwien you cought me before I changed my emoticon.... Damn you're good.

I guess it really is hard for me to understand that. All the information that someone has to make an informed opinion about the historical Jesus has been ushered through the centuries by the church. To me they're indistinguishable.

Stu,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
lwien you cought me before I changed my emoticon.... Damn you're good.

I guess it really is hard for me to understand that. All the information that someone has to make an informed opinion about the historical Jesus has been ushered through the centuries by the church. To me they're indistinguishable.

The point the guy makes is that despite all that church-filtered history of Jesus, it's still obvious that organized religions make a mockery of what they claim he taught. I've pondered this same thing since I was a kid.

Edited to add: This means that it makes no difference what Jesus actually taught, obviously.

pakalolo,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The point the guy makes is that despite all that church-filtered history of Jesus, it's still obvious that organized religions make a mockery of what they claim he taught. I've pondered this same thing since I was a kid.
IMO the problem is that any religion is by definition organized. Add power and wealth into the mix and there are some ripe ingredients to make a stew of corruption. There's no way around it.

Human nature therefore gives us the religions (and their organizations) that we have today imo.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
IMO the problem is that any religion is by definition organized.

Exactly the point! What pakalolo said is how I feel. Organized religion claims to follow Jesus, but their actions say otherwise.

Vicki,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I guess I just don't understand how there could be some sort of "new" church that wouldn't end up with the same curruption eventually (this would be the ultimate goal of this gentleman I presume or he wouldn't have wasted his time on the video in the first place). That may make me a pessimist in some of your eyes, but I consider myself to be more of a realist.

PS I try to stay away for the most part when the topic is religion, but this topic just tweaked a nerve in me. Dammit lwien, you bastard!

lwien

One of my favorites. Such a classic that will be played over and over again a hundred years from now.

Here's a little tid bit. According to Yoko, who controls the rights to Lennon's music, the most frequent request she gets from musicians who want to record this song is to change the lyric, "No religion too"-----a request she has always denied.

lwien,
Top Bottom