HOW TO WINTERIZE

RekOne

I am trying to make a clean clear product out of bho. Can anyone explain step by step how to winterize to removes fats and lipids in small amounts like a few grams at a time set by set.

RekOne,

herbivore21

I am trying to make a clean clear product out of bho. Can anyone explain step by step how to winterize to removes fats and lipids in small amounts like a few grams at a time set by set.
I'm sure I've explained this in many posts already around here but can come back in a few days and fill you in. Consider that your BHO will lose compounds responsible for flavor and psychoactivity when you winterize, especially if you do not know how to manage a vacuum purging environment properly.

RekOne

Thanks! I thought winterizing just removes the fats lipids plant matter and terps making a clear product

RekOne,

RekOne

what I want to do is just remove the fats and the rest of the plant matter to then mix with terps into a vape cart. what do you think

RekOne,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

what I want to do is just remove the fats and the rest of the plant matter to then mix with terps into a vape cart. what do you think

I've winterized a lot of ISO extracts I make for cannacaps. I disolve the oil in ethanol, freeze, filter with an unbleached coffee filter, then evaporate ( sometimes with gentle heat) . But these aren't for vaping, and like what has been mentioned, it may not be ideal for tastey vaping oil.

Maybe with proper purging, but I have no experience with vacume purging.

A good resource though is skunk pharms

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/getting-the-green-and-waxes-out-afterwards/

herbivore21

Thanks! I thought winterizing just removes the fats lipids plant matter and terps making a clear product
It will remove a fatty/waxy fraction from your solution (that is your oil dissolved in the winterizing solvent - usually ethanol), but will also drastically reduce the terps in the final product. Remember, terps are the actives in cannabis. Cannabinoids are a kind of terpenoid. They work better in conjuction with other terps and are far less useful in the absence of other terps.

It may make some sense to make a winterized, high cannabinoid extract and then add terps to use in an ecig pen if the pen is what you have. However, I do not recommend doing nug or even trim runs to achieve this. You are simply wasting so many useful cannabis actives from starting flower/trim if you winterize.

Instead, consider QWISO extracting from lightly baked AVB or using well recovered e-nail reclaim and then winterizing. You will get plenty of useful cannabinoid material to go into your pen with your added terps this way and you can still benefit from the terps in your flowers/trim that would have been wasted if you extracted from them and winterized right away ;)

If you do not know how to purge, handle and store solvents properly (no, you cannot just let a solvent evaporate at room temp and consider the product safe to use!), then please, I urge you, don't even try using them.

Furthermore, ecig carts are not a great way to consume cannabis and are frequently made from unsafe materials. Ecigs also tend to function in a way that develops excessive polymerization byproducts from your extract around the coil/wick during normal use compared to other means of consuming extracts.

Please consider using extracts with a flower portable vape that has a concentrate pad instead (Mighty/Crafty/Alternate/Firefly 2 etc). There are more and more of these options on the market, they allow you to use your straight concentrates in a much more tasty and safe way and you can load generous bowls of straight extract that do not need to be liquified or mixed with terps/other solvents.

If you switch to this way of consuming concentrates, you can simply get a good rosin press and make clean, high quality solventless oil very easily without risking life and limb (not to mention those of your neighbors!) fucking with solvents. Rosin can simply be placed on a concentrate pad and vaped with any of the abovementioned flower vapes. The flavor is delicious, as good as some high end SiC/Sapphire enails in some of these vapes.

Top Bottom