How to cope with enlarged prostate?

hazardc0r3

I am 22 and have an enlarged prostate. I am miserable and feel like a burden having to urinate so much throughout the day and night. I am about to go to the doctor to get an exam but so far from what I have looked up they can't really do much besides prescribe pills that end up having crappy side effects. I do not live in a green state so the quality of concentrates isn't that great. The best stuff I can get is brown with a little gold tint. Does anyone find any relief for enlarged prostate with concentrates or bud? Does anyone have ways to cope with this because I feel hopeless. I am starting to take saw palmetto but then I see studies saying it doesn't work. I know this probably isn't the right forum to post this but I feel hopeless and want to know if anyone else my age has found ways to live more happily with EP.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Sorry to hear about this.... I've read consuming vegetables that are high in vitamin C and zinc are best for preventing enlarged prostate and relieving its symptoms. Drinking moderate amounts of alcohol may help too.

lwien

Ah..........BPH. You're kinda young to have that happening.

Being that mine is 15 times the size of a normal prostate, along with having 3 biopsies and ultrasounds, I can categorically state that I'm a pro at this.

First off, I've been taking Avodart (Dutasteride) for over 6 years now.........no side effects. It's used to shrink the prostate. Mine hasn't shrunk, but I'm taking it to keep it from getting bigger. There has been a small percentage of users who have reported a decrease in libido, retrograde ejaculation and man boobs, but again, these are rare occurrences.

You can also take Flomax to help increase the urine flow. Can lower your blood pressure, but again, when I was taking it...........no side affects.

You also may want to seriously consider a prostate root-rooter (TURP)

Cannabis is of no help whatsoever.

But here's a lesson I learned but learned it too late for me. Don't wait to take care of this. I waited too long and what happens is that when your bladder is constantly trying to push urine out against a restriction, it gets thicker and it can get so thick that it just ceases to function and that is what happened to me, so my bladder no longer works and I have to cath myself every 3 to 4 hours. Been doing this for over 10 years. You don't want this happening to you, so my advice............go see a urologist and the sooner the better.

hazardc0r3

I feel like I've had the effects since age 17. I have ADHD and my parents shoved all sorts of ADHD meds my whole life to the point where I went from active sporty kid to a lifeless zombie who would sit on my computer all day long after coming home from sitting all day long at school. I think sitting down so much since middle school has helped contribute to my enlarged prostate.I am looking in to getting a doctors appointment. I want to be a normal 22 year old and be able to have normal sex and its scary that a lot of side effects for most of these pills will affect that. Catheters scare me and I'm afraid of needles. I feel like a burden to my girlfriend. I am going to run right now and start running everyday for 30 minutes so hopefully that can help. I appreciate any replys advice on everything.

lwien

Stimulants can definitely affect your prostate in a negative way and ADHD meds are exactly that so I would venture to say that those meds could very well be a large part of the problem. Are you still taking them?

Good idea to start running since running helps with just about everything, both mentally and physiologically.

Regarding the side affects of the meds to treat BPH. Like ANY med, one must weigh the benefits versus the risks. The risks are very low but only you can weigh those risks and determine if they are acceptable when weighed against dealing with your enlarged prostate.

lwien,
Reactions: VegNVape

hazardc0r3

I stopped taking adderall about 4 years ago because I was sick of its effects on my mood. It made me antisocial and like a zombie. That's crazy to find out that it is bad for the prostate...its explains so much. I got bad grades in school even on ADHD meds still so my parents would just switch meds or up the dose thinking that it would solve the problem. All it did was made me sit and zone out on my computer and now I have to suffer because of it. I guess I will have to weigh out the risks. Hopefully I won't have any side effects to any meds they may describe. I already feel better exercising right now. Thank you for all your information. When I research this stuff its like one minute I find all the answers and then I find different studies saying its all wrong. It's nice to get some real input

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
How long have you had this condition? Has your doctor considered a longstanding persistent low grade infection that might be successfully treated with an antibiotic? Beware TURP and possible result of permanent ED and incontinence!!!

Now, this may sound crazy, but it worked wonders for me after years of trial and error bs quick fixes and numerous witches potions - get a very high grade coconut oil (e.g., Original Living Coconut Virgin Cold-Pressed) ...take three heaping soup spoonfuls per day (start with one per day and work your way up to 3 or more),(there's a lot of good research and anecdotal evidence to support this regimen for BPH); also find a very high grade Saw Palmetto capsule or extract - report back here after taking these for at least a month... ;)

http://www.originallivingcoconut.com/?q=product-listing-coco-oil

Last edited:

lwien

How long have you had this condition? Has your doctor considered a longstanding persistent low grade infection that might be successfully treated with an antibiotic?

Good call. Didn't think about an infection. They usually prescribe Cipro for a pretty long time to clear it up but antibiotics like Cipro carries it's own risk like ruptured tendons. But yeah, a prostate infection needs to be considered as well.

Regarding the risks of TURP, I believe incontinence is the bigger risk rather than ED and it was that risk that curtailed me from doing it but considering what I am dealing with now because I didn't do it and that the risk was only 3%, I consider myself......................a major dumbass.

hazardc0r3

Ive been experiencing the symptoms of an enlarged prostate since i was 17.I went to the doctor and i was dumb and refused a prostate exam and instead got bloodwork and my urine looked at. Everything came back good the doctors said but just in case they gave me antibiotics and so i took those but they didnt help. I bought Nature's Bounty Saw Palmetto 450 mg but stopped taking it after reading too much into it and being impatient. I'm going to start taking it and stick with it since I've realized how serious this is. I will get the coconut oil too.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Ive been experiencing the symptoms of an enlarged prostate since i was 17.I went to the doctor and i was dumb and refused a prostate exam and instead got bloodwork and my urine looked at. Everything came back good the doctors said but just in case they gave me antibiotics and so i took those but they didnt help. I bought Nature's Bounty Saw Palmetto 450 mg but stopped taking it after reading too much into it and being impatient. I'm going to start taking it and stick with it since I've realized how serious this is. I will get the coconut oil too.
Have you had a CAT scan of your lower abdomen - what can possibly be revealed is perhaps a slightly enlarged prostate, OR a distended portion of your bladder which can cause excessive feelings of urinary urgency also. Also, a herniation from a surrounding tissue can bear down on the bladder causing urgency. Moreover, It may simply be that your prostate is a bit larger than the population average norm, but normally sized for you, and not necessarily inflamed/enlarged at all. Another possibility is a hypersensitive condition of the bladder whereby you have become accustomed to relieving yourself too often or at first sensation, rather than allowing your bladder to expand and accommodate larger volumes of liquid for extended periods of time. I'd like you to try the following for a week or so and see if this helps: Drink two full glasses of water every few hours, or at least much more than you are used to drinking, as you have probably gotten into a bad habit of restricting liquids just so you wouldn't have to run to the latrine all the time. Hold off from urinating while having a full bladder for a little while longer than usual n order to help break the constant "run" cycle. It is both psychological as well as physiological, which you have become slave-conditioned to. Grow your bladder to a much fuller hold capacity and see what happens.

hibeam

alpha +
My husband manages this problem without meds, and he has identified certain foods that cause flare ups. I know he uses saw palmetto with good results, and amazingly he has found gluten to not only give him colitis but also urinary issues. I have read that some men have trouble with eggs and poultry. Along with the great advice from the guys posting above, is it realistic for you to suspect food sensitivities?

I am very saddened to read the negative impact the adhd meds have been on your young life. Fuck sitting in school all day! Oh, that is another forum. You do have the resilience of youth on your side. You sound in touch with your own body enough to give the meds a try too. As Iwien mentioned, do not wait too long. I think running or hiking is a great way to feel better and find out more about how your body is working. It might be a far superior way of dealing with adhd too! I wish you great healing and happiness soon.

hazardc0r3

I have tried to hold off with a full bladder before and drink lots of water but it just seems to make things worse. When I urinate my flow is weak but it feels as if Ive been holding off on going for the whole day when in reality I pissed 10 minutes before. I wish it was as simple as retraining my bladder. For the longest time I didn't know I was using the restroom more than usual until my friends pointed it out. I didn't start holding back on liquids until a year or 2 ago and before that I would drink a lot of stuff and would wait forever to use the restroom even if I had the urge. So I know I haven't trained my bladder to hold smaller amounts. I am gonna try to find a list that tells me those foods though. I have never had food allergies or sensitivies but I am ready to try everything before I try man made meds. Thanks for all the advice

hibeam

alpha +
Caffeine has a bad rep for irritating all things down there. Lots of online sources discuss allergic prostatitis. For example: http://www.prostate.net/2014/nutrition/foods-avoid-prostatitis/

I would not play around with withholding liquid coming in or out. Kidneys need fluids, water! What do others think?

If you are reluctant to try pharma meds, how clean is your diet? I bet it is good, but so was mine for years and I was still miserable with my oversensitivities. I did the elimination/rare foods routine with a food journal and found some other food culprits proported to be health foods.

Another issue to consider would be candida, or yeast overgrowth.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Caffeine has a bad rep for irritating all things down there. Lots of online sources discuss allergic prostatitis. For example: http://www.prostate.net/2014/nutrition/foods-avoid-prostatitis/

I would not play around with withholding liquid coming in or out. Kidneys need fluids, water! What do others think?

If you are reluctant to try pharma meds, how clean is your diet? I bet it is good, but so was mine for years and I was still miserable with my oversensitivities. I did the elimination/rare foods routine with a food journal and found some other food culprits proported to be health foods.

Another issue to consider would be candida, or yeast overgrowth.
All good points, to be sure! I only suggest holding in fluids for a just bit longer than usual as part of a regimen to begin a new urgency conditioning response. There is no danger of toxicity at low levels of retention. Do NOT abstain from liquids - indulge in plenty, clear and natural. Building bladder capacity has also worked for me in a significant way, counteracting a bad habit of under-hydration and hyperactive urgency reaction... can't hurt and may help. Try everything in small steps.

Last edited:

mudshark

Vaporist
But here's a lesson I learned but learned it too late for me. Don't wait to take care of this. I waited too long and what happens is that when your bladder is constantly trying to push urine out against a restriction, it gets thicker and it can get so thick that it just ceases to function and that is what happened to me, so my bladder no longer works and I have to cath myself every 3 to 4 hours. Been doing this for over 10 years. You don't want this happening to you, so my advice............go see a urologist and the sooner the better.

^^^^ This is good advice.

I have BPH; weak flow and going all the time were my symptoms. Finally went to an urologist this fall. It was determined with an ultrasound scan that my bladder was not emptying completely. Mostly due to the enlarged prostate causing a serious restriction. This caused my bladder to stretch/thicken; damage that cannot be reversed. I had Green Laser TURP surgery this week and the pipes are flowing much better now.

My recommendation...see an urologist promptly.

hazardc0r3

I hope I haven't waited to long...I've had the symptoms since 17. At 19 I got my blood and urine tested but that's it. I was too embarrassed to accept the prostate exam so I never got any closure. I can't see anyone until the middle of January. My workplace is going very slow with hours and I just got enrolled in insurance on December 15th. I started taking Saw Palmetto again and so far I am taking 1 less trip to the bathroom at night. Also I've noticed that when I drink alcohol it helps me go so much during the day that by the time I go to bed I've pretty much got it all out so I wake up less too. I'm going to print that food list out though. I really do think I have the overgrowth of candida. I eat way too much (at night peanut butter, sweets, cheese, whatevers in the kitchen. I don't think I go number 2 as much as I should.

hazardc0r3,
Reactions: hibeam
Top Bottom