How to Comfortably Hold Hits for 30-40 Seconds

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Breath deeply for twenty seconds before each hit, expanding both the abdomen and chest to avoid gas being trapped in the lungs.

Make each pull match your expected vapor density, or, take hits you know you will be able to hold. More dense vapor becomes more irritating to the mucous membranes in the throat and lungs, causing a cough reflex.

(I take 5-8-or-12 second hits depending on whether there's kief or oil on it)

Maxing out your O2 Sats by breathing deeply for twenty seconds will let you ride out holding your breath for thirty seconds with no ill effects or light-headedness. You will probably get a slight dizziness during your deep breathing - I just breath through that, knowing I won't pass out, because if I stop then I will just have to start over, and I'm in a hurry kind of. (I'm taking the deep breaths back to back, and fairly quickly, but it's not hyperventilating).

I feel much stronger taking hits and holding them confidently when I prepare myself just a tiny bit.

Some things bear repeating, and I like hearing myself talk,
====================
smoke vs vapor: and another thing, vapor doesn't have anything in common with smoke, smoke is particles and actives floating around in hot gasses, and the particle size is small enough to get in between our alvioli. You breath in, the particles speed the actives through to the alvioli where they are effectively dropped-off, then you breath out the particulate 4-5 seconds later, and you HAVE absorbed roughly 70-80% of the available actives.
Vapor is actives and hydrocarbons and essential oils combined, and the droplet size is (probably, not 100% sure) larger than the particulate size of smoke, making it less able to permeate the alvioli, and, again probably, making absorption take longer.

luchiano

Some things bear repeating, and I like hearing myself talk,
====================
smoke vs vapor: and another thing, vapor doesn't have anything in common with smoke, smoke is particles and actives floating around in hot gasses, and the particle size is small enough to get in between our alvioli. You breath in, the particles speed the actives through to the alvioli where they are effectively dropped-off, then you breath out the particulate 4-5 seconds later, and you HAVE absorbed roughly 70-80% of the available actives.
Vapor is actives and hydrocarbons and essential oils combined, and the droplet size is (probably, not 100% sure) larger than the particulate size of smoke, making it less able to permeate the alvioli, and, again probably, making absorption take longer.

The reason why smoke is felt quicker than vapor is because when you smoke there is a higher ratio of smoke to air and this causes the body to release adrenaline and give that rush. This is both good and bad depending on what you are doing at that time. If you are just sitting around, haven't eaten much or even just doing a light walk overtime this will cause your tolerance to raise because instead of doing demanding physical work which will make sure you make use of all the nutrients released right after the adrenaline rush, you aren't doing anything which means the cannabinoids will go to your fat cells and slowly make metabolites that keep your tolerance high. You want to blow clouds when you are about to do some physical activity that will cause you to sweat as this will make sure the excess cannabinoids that has been sent to fat cells will be excreted as sweat through your skin and keep you tolerance from going too high or be used up by your muscles for energy along with the fat it's attached to. This reason is why dabbing or smoking bongs raises your tolerance so much.

When you vape this is not happening, unless you have a very thick vapor like using high temperatures or something like the cloud which will give a lot more vapor to air ratio than say using just a pinch and vaping slowy by adjusting the temperature which means you will barely see, if any, vapor. What happens with this method is you will take in the cannabinoids & essential oils in small amounts along with the air and your body won't notice anything odd going on in your lungs so it won't go into releasing adrenaline because it doesn't perceive an "attack" and then the vapor will attach to the cannabinoid receptors without being pushed to the fat cells which means most of the vapor will be absorbed and used by the body as well as the body will make more receptors overtime due to no cannabinoids going to the fat cells and making metabolites over time and raising your tolerance. Just make sure you have some food or fruit juice with you(orange, apple ,grape) when you vape so your body can have the energy to metabolise the cannabinoids as they are inhaled. The high will come on slow but once it hits it will be strong. The method is to divide the amount of herb you want to use into sections instead of all at once(.20 grams divided into four different bowls or more) and if you can, raise the temperature in increments instead of setting one temperature because again the goal is to have more air to vapor ratio and absorb most, if not all of it and not blow clouds. Make sure you inhale to where there isn't too much air or it will take too long as there will be so much air that there is too little vapor to inhale but this will depend on your vaporizer so on that end you have to figure it out. Lastly make sure you exhale through your nose as this enhances the absorption and effects even more BUT only do this if you have some sort of water filter because if you don't, some of the plant particulates and dry heat will irritate your nose and cause problems. Have fun.

zymos

I have heard ( with no scientific evidence, so who knows if it true) that your lungs absorb all they are going to in just a few seconds, so holding in hits a long time doesn't really do anything....

zymos,

VisiblyVaped

I tried this a bit ago. Im best with 7 deep, slow, breaths exhaling FULLY with chest/diaphragm.
It's like breathing exercises, and it works. Plus, breathing exercises are good with helping excrete stuff...when done consistently.

Great Thread/Tip.

VisiblyVaped,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I tried this a bit ago. Im best with 7 deep, slow, breaths exhaling FULLY with chest/diaphragm.
It's like breathing exercises, and it works. Plus, breathing exercises are good with helping excrete stuff...when done consistently.

Great Thread/Tip.

Good stuff man... I love maximizing my hits too. When things get dry around here... It's nice to know I can get higher off of less with some breathing tricks :)

Peloton,

VisiblyVaped

Good stuff man... I love maximizing my hits too. When things get dry around here... It's nice to know I can get higher off of less with some breathing tricks :)
I studied kinesiology for a bit, and heavily researched breathing and cleaning lungs during my combusting days and if you or anyone's interested I'd like to share.
If you have access to a sauna, deep breathing in there does wonders. A drop of pure eaucalyptus oil on there moistens, and excretes mucus and buildup. Breathe in the oil vapor after dropping on and hold, exhale slowly.
Some places have eaculyptus steam rooms. Repeat breathing techniques above and what ill list below is like MAGIC

Take a slow breath. As slow as possible. Aim for a 30-45 second inhale at first then increase.
Hold momentarily, literally a moment, then exhale slowly. It helps to say the ABCs under your breath with light exhales. Not sped up, not slowed. or count
Ideally, average healthy lungs, iirc from the reading, should go for at least 45 seconds of a slow exhale. To the point you can physically feel your lungs deflated. Inhale should be steady and slow as well.
Real good capacity I believe is 2min plus exhale. I can do 1:20-1:30 of i remember.

Recently I haven't practiced as much as I'm preaching, but I can attest to the usefulness of doing it regularly and will be starting again.

I truly hope a few of you try this. A few times daily when bored, and see your capacity improve rapidly.

VisiblyVaped,
Reactions: vorrange

Nosferatu

No point in going longer than 10seconds. The lungs absorbs 80% of the absorbable compounds in the first 5seconds or so.

Besides, if you do long deep hits, they are already being absorbed while you keep inhaling.

I agree, it's not worth getting all that goo stuck on your lungs. Even with vaping get it in and out quick.

VisiblyVaped

No point in going longer than 10seconds. The lungs absorbs 80% of the absorbable compounds in the first 5seconds or so.

Besides, if you do long deep hits, they are already being absorbed while you keep inhaling.
This is a good point, I do believe if you take a small, light hit with virtually no visible vapor its more than ok to extend it a bit.

Besides, the lack of oxygen would add to the quick mini buzz :p
(i.e. one mflb hit in crowded bathroom at school....)

VisiblyVaped,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Depending on the intensity of the hit, sometimes I like to, rather than hold it in my lungs, actually swallow the hit, and from there I can hold it in for a longer amount of time very comfortably because it's past the point of needing to be "held in."

jeffp,

turk

turk
...I've always wondered, how much difference it makes?...been smoking for literally years...not sure how much of a difference holding the weed in makes....now different strains, yes that makes a hugh difference, but holding it in?....not sure how much a factor that is....

turk,

Persian

I use my Volcano and hold my hits in for around 30-50 seconds that is when it turns into a ghost hit, for thick clouds at a min it should be a ghost hit, regardless of size.

I been practicing the 45 second inhale/exhale thing and already seeing vast improvements and lungs feel really healthy and strong, thanks brother!

-Edit to those wondering if there is a difference between 5 second or ghosting your hits, huge difference i get 10x more high of a bag of vape than when I inhale it and hold it in for only 10 seconds with a cloud still leaving. The difference in the high is vast so I don't even question if holding your hits is effective or not because it Very obviously is.

exhaling for 45 seconds is hard, x_x

bigtvapes

...I've always wondered, how much difference it makes?...been smoking for literally years...not sure how much of a difference holding the weed in makes....now different strains, yes that makes a hugh difference, but holding it in?....not sure how much a factor that is....

Me using my logical brain would say it makes a big difference. You get this drug into your system by having it come in contact with your aleveolar-capillary membrane. Basically, it's where blood becomes oxygenated in your system. So I would assume by holding it in longer, smoke or vape, you're adding exponentially to the amount of time it's exposed to your alveolar capillary membrane. You're also creating back pressure FORCING it against the membrane by holding your breath. So I def see it adding to the potency and length of effects.

bigtvapes,

turk

turk
....so you're saying that bulllshit weed can be enhanced by ...holding it in.?...if you hold bull shit in longer it equates to "top of the line" stuff inhaled quickly.....?

turk,

bigtvapes

....so you're saying that bulllshit weed can be enhanced by ...holding it in.?...if you hold bull shit in longer it equates to "top of the line" stuff inhaled quickly.....?

SOME people dont live in areas where selection is a luxury... don't have to be snobby about it. I was just trying to add my two cents.

... You are misusing the term "exponentially"...
Nope I didn't. You misused the ellipsis though as it is only really grammatically correct if you're using it to omit a piece of a quote. Now I'm not one to fuss much over grammar, but before one one goes trying to correct people (incorrectly I might add) they MIGHT want to be more careful.

I might be wrong in my logic but when I used the word you chose to nitpick over, I was correct in using it. If you simply inhale and exhale vapors, you're talking a second or two of contact time to your alveolar capillary membrane. IF you hold it, for let's say 8-12 seconds, you're actually EXPONENTIALLY increasing vapor contact time with your ACM. As 8-12 seconds is actually exponentially longer than 1 or 2.

bigtvapes,

turk

turk
.....I'm just trying to understand what you're saying...where I live is irrelevant...add your two cents, ...is it ok if I understand it?...

turk,

bigtvapes

I think I made my point pretty clearly. I never said anything about ptency

Ok when you said THIS... it had nothing to do with anything I had said in my post. So I can't address it or argue it because it has nothing to do with anything I said. I never said anything about the quality of materials and how it compares as far as potency goes.

The point I did make in a previous post is fairly clearly established.

bigtvapes,

turk

turk
...I was addressing the orig. question...was NOT responding to anything you said...
...there is a prevailing thought that holding "stuff" in longer somehow "increases", "enhances" our high...I've always heard this myself...(I'm sixty)....and I have smoked for more than 40 years...at some point I bought into this theory as well...
However...as I've gotten older I really question the wisdom of this theory...exactly how can "holding it in" get you more "high"...in my experience when I really examine this....it's NOT as cut and dry as one would believe...anyways, I'm not here to put anyone down, but I will "question" prevailing thought....hope that clarifies....

turk,

zymos

SOME people dont live in areas where selection is a luxury... don't have to be snobby about it. I was just trying to add my two cents.

Nope I didn't. You misused the ellipsis though as it is only really grammatically correct if you're using it to omit a piece of a quote. Now I'm not one to fuss much over grammar, but before one one goes trying to correct people (incorrectly I might add) they MIGHT want to be more careful.

I might be wrong in my logic but when I used the word you chose to nitpick over, I was correct in using it. If you simply inhale and exhale vapors, you're talking a second or two of contact time to your alveolar capillary membrane. IF you hold it, for let's say 8-12 seconds, you're actually EXPONENTIALLY increasing vapor contact time with your ACM. As 8-12 seconds is actually exponentially longer than 1 or 2.

You are just increasing the contact time linearly, there is no basis for thinking there is any exponential increase in absorption.
Sorry I abused the ellipsis, but you are abusing mathematics...
...oops, I did it some more....

Top Bottom