How Smart are you...........really!

lwien

So, how far do you think we've really come in the last 100 years? Do you think we're smarter? Do you think that the kids that are in the 8th grade today are smarter than those that were in the 8th grade 100 years ago? Do you college grads think you could ace a test that was given to 8th graders 100 years ago?

Check out this 8th grade test that was given out in 1912, more than a century ago.

http://www.bullittcountyhistory.com/bchistory/schoolexam1912.html

Last edited:

Enchantre

Oil Painter
That's awesome... and sad.

As a former homeschooler, I'm pretty aware of how our educational system has devolved, with some exceptions, to serve the lowest common denominator.

I would have some serious struggle with the math, myself.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Yup. How many kids graduate high school today that can't even read or write, let alone answer the questions on an 8th grade test that was given a century ago?

My life as a student started the day I found the internet. My school taught me only how to assimilate and go through the motions of pretending to do work.

But at least no kid got left behind...

Last edited:

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
No, i don't think we're smarter. We don't fund or promote education. We charge too much for tuition and bury graduates with student loans. We don't respect the teaching profession the way we should and we glorify celebrities and reality show stars. We've fallen behind the rest of the world when it comes to a good education in the US and no i would not have aced that test:o

Hoops

According to this test....I'm an idiot. Good thing I don't listen very well.

Hoops,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
i gess um dum as shit.. or jusa bad tess taker.
it's only cuz i'm not book smart, i'm street smart :p
ya thats why.. aint got time for no books :nope: thats why. hah
:cheers::popcorn::party:

Buildozer,

grokit

well-worn member
Most college graduates couldn't pass that 8th-grade test from the last century. But most 1912 8th-graders couldn't handle their shit in a modern collegiate drinking game, so it all evens out.

:myday::whoa:

Top Bottom