How long do you hold your vapor hits for?

spaceman462

vap999 said:
Rather than holding it long, try rebreathing -- exhale the useless (never to be absorbed) vapor in your throat and upper respiratory system, a good portion of your lung capacity, and suck down some fresh air which will end up mixing with the leading stream of vapor you inhaled. And if efficiency of consumption is important, take shorter hits and then suck each down deeply by inhaling regular air.
This is more or less what I have begun doing to great success.

I take a hit that isn't enough to fill my lungs, inhale a bit of air to "clear" my throat, then after 10 seconds, inhale a bit more air, repeat once, then exhale. So each hit is held for a total of 30 seconds, but more air is introduced every 10 seconds, which makes it easier to hold the hit, but also causes the air/vapor in the lungs to circulate more which should aid absorption.

spaceman462,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
i've actually modified my breathing since watching tokin's video... I hold it in for less with each intake of air I have... I breath in every 5-10 seconds... but over all I notice this way takes alot longer for me too expel the entire hit, but I am much more satisfied off of smaller hits...

DevoTheStrange,

Beezleb

I like big deep draws. Dont care what people have to say on being wasteful or whatnot. Its not about efficiency but enjoying it for me and taking deep draws is part of that. Ive tried about all the variant ways of taking a draw but deep slow draws do me right, in flavor, satisfaction and putting me right where I want to be.

Crap, I feel like a tobacco commercial :lol:

Beezleb,

stevebeast

I have found that holding my hits too long makes me prone to headaches, i blow my hits into a large chilled brandy snifter and rehit till its my turn agian.

stevebeast,

owin

stevebeast said:
I have found that holding my hits too long makes me prone to headaches, i blow my hits into a large chilled brandy snifter and rehit till its my turn agian.
Nice. I tried this once but I didn't have a good glass for it to be very successful.

owin,

kalinga

DevoTheStrange said:
i've actually modified my breathing since watching tokin's video... I hold it in for less with each intake of air I have... I breath in every 5-10 seconds... but over all I notice this way takes alot longer for me too expel the entire hit, but I am much more satisfied off of smaller hits...
thanks for the tip! I breathe in every 3 secs though.

kalinga,

buddhaholic420

Grand master-vaper
I usually take one PD tube to the head and at the end I take a huge breath of fresh air to push the vapor way down in my lungs. It's pretty hard at this point to hold it, but I have been able to focus through it and hold it to the point that I feel like I am blacking out. This then passes and I enter the state where I am able to continue to hold with no problems. WHen I exhale I almost always still have visible vapor, but it's not that much. Most bud that is really good will do this to me. The weaker the bud the less "blackout affect" I get.

buddhaholic420,

purplechango

We've all seen the video on you tube (speaking generally that is) where the guy takes a whole G stuffs it in a bowl and takes a whompass rip off the bong........ only to hold it for a microsecond then exhale it all out..... :hmm: Just seems a bit wasteful to me.

Now dont get me wrong, we've all in our own ways done the 1/2 oz blunts just cause we could (younger years) and the 50 gallon gravity bong :tup: ....., but now of course i ve come to understand that less is more or at least equal to, especially using vapes like the PD, the LB, hell any vape for that matter they all conserve.....

ooops of on a tangent

so how do you do it and why? .....maybe toss in some science behind the reason. Me, I try and hold it as long as possible. I take smaller hits and hold them at length with ease, in the end im on cloud 9 chillin.

With mine there isnt too much science to it, it was more observation from when i smoked. The longer I held the toke, the clearer the smoke at exhale, and the better the effect, IMO. So i figured it would be the same here with the vape. I guess I should try not holding to compared

Mod note: Thread merged into existing thread.

purplechango,

pyronym

Harry Mooseknuckle
I usually try to hold my hits for atleast 15 seconds or so unless of course when I'm vaping with my dog because she lays on my lap and pushes the tube out of my mouth and then stares me down until I exhale. BTW shes an 85 lb golden retriever so that also doesn't make it easy to hold my hits. I really don't see a difference. I need to go on a T break but I don't wanna.

pyronym,

trouble ethyl

i usually try to hold it a minimum of 7 seconds. the rest is just comfort level. when i start to fell like i can't hold it or it becomes uncomfortable, it let it out. i usually hold it for as long as i can.

trouble ethyl,

Frickr

im a firm believer that you can get higher off of smaller hits. ive proved this to myself many times over. i breath in 40-50% of my total lung capacity, then breath in to around 80% with fresh air, wait a second then finish filling my lungs hold for 3 and exhale slowly. depending on the amount of visible vapor, i will take a few breaths inbetween exhaling. this seems to work the best for me, vrs trying to take a big hit hold for a few and caugh it out.

Frickr,

Qbit

cannabanana
Frickr said:
im a firm believer that you can get higher off of smaller hits. ive proved this to myself many times over. i breath in 40-50% of my total lung capacity, then breath in to around 80% with fresh air, wait a second then finish filling my lungs hold for 3 and exhale slowly. depending on the amount of visible vapor, i will take a few breaths inbetween exhaling. this seems to work the best for me, vrs trying to take a big hit hold for a few and caugh it out.
Yeah this is more of less what I do, although after taking the half lungful of vapour I like to hold it a little before I continue to inhale. I like feeling the thick vapour in my lungs before I dilute it, particularly on the first and freshest hit. And allowing a tingly cloud of terpenes to waft into your nasal cavities is just lovely.

Qbit,

wem420

yea i remember reading that 7 seconds uses up93% of all that you breatedin, so i do 5-15 secs depending on how my lungs and i feel.

wem420,

coma-boy

Just found this thread. And just tried an experiment - held the vapor (from Cano bag) in for 2 mins (am a swimmer). Sure, am high, but only feels like the usual morning strength high.

Usually hold in for five secs or so, then do the lung-wash/rebreath technique thingy.

From what I understand though, most things should be absorbed by the alveoli within seconds, but that doesn't explain why vapor is still exhaled after a few seconds. Of course, nothing was exhaled after 2 mins.

Actually, am kinda high, but no more than usual, perhaps...

coma-boy,

steiner666

Serial vapist
This is something really hard to accurately judge of course. I usually try to vape with my ssv dial kinda low w/ slow drag until i feel any sort of tickle in the lung or like i'm nearing capacity, then pull the bowl away and clear the hose and grab a tiny bit of fresh air at the end. Hold it it in 5-10 second and then re-breathe at least a couple times (so i exhale 3 thinner/smaller clouds instead of one big one). I think it's probably a bit more effective than just holding it in for a few seconds and inhaling it all, but i'm sure there's also a bit of placebo effect. I think it's also just more relaxing to do hits this way, with slow inhale and slow, incremental exhales.

steiner666,

gb902

Vaporog
I usually fill my lungs at 3/4 with vapor, then I hold it for about 15 sec. Then I inhale a small amount of fresh air, about every 10 sec. After about 45 sec, I start to inhale/exhale slowly and very small amounts of vapor/fresh air, so I avoid any condensation (IMO), and I think that the lungs will absorb more if I move the vapor inside.
I think this way because I have tried to take a pure, huge vapor hit, almost 100% of my lungs (powerful:ko:), then hold it for 2 mins, without rebreathing, and when I exhaled, there still was vapor.
However I think that the THC is absorbed only if the vapor touches the lung's sides, so if you don't rebreath, the vapor situated in the center of the lungs will be wasted when you exhale.

gb902,

Jens

My DBV should arive in a few days, but this will be the first decent vaporizer i ever use.
I've read numerous times that your drawing technique is important to achieve maximum efficiency (that + stiring the bowl every 3 hits and grinding it up for a few extra hits) but i can't realy imagine this to be hard. Am i underestimating this?

But now my question is: how exactly do you draw from a whip-style vaporizer?
Do you just keep on drawing on a fairly slow rate untill your lungs are filled up?
(i've read that you need to get the vapor to the bottom of your lungs since THC gets absorbed better there.)

Or do you fill half of your lungs with vapor, let go of the whip and 'push the vapor down' by taking a breath of fresh air?

Is there already any kind of consensus if holding the vapor for longer than 3 seconds maximizes the results? I haven't been able to find any info that clearly states it does, but maybe i'm not searching hard enough

So basicly, how do you draw from your vaporizer? And for how long do you keep the vapor in?

:peace:

Jens,

Plant

he Jens did you order at vaporlot.com or somwhere else?
hitting a whip is not that difficult i found out but i suggest you start at a lower temp so you deffinatly don't burn the herb i don't have much experience hiitting whips i only have the stealth and with that it was like i was born with a whip in my hand no trial what so ever getting good tasty hits but with a bit of practice it get better and easier

Plant,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i use a "sigh" technique ... that is, a very slow inhale, like a sigh -- say, 15 to 20 seconds.

my theory is that the heat has to melt the trichomes and then vaporize their contents, so the slower the hot air moves past the trichomes, the thicker the hit. Experience (perhaps coincidentally) validates this concept.

Lately, it has occurred to me that holding the hit in the lungs is a waste, since most of the vapor will be inside the bag, without touching the surface area of the lungs, where the drug transfer takes place. i think of the vapor inside a volcano/ion bag -- the inside surface of the bag gets sticky from condensed vapor -- and that is what you want to have happen inside your lungs.

So i think exhaling a little and then inhaling to stir the contents of the lungs will get more vapor against the surface and infused into the lungs. This may take 20 seconds or so.

A seven minute session uses about 12 to 14 hits.

Hippie Dickie,

Jens

I was going to go with the vaporworld site, but for some reason i had a problem to confirm my adress via paypall. But i found that someone named goodgets_UK on ebay, is the owner of varporlot. So i just ordered it via ebay from him instead of using his site ;) He's a friendly guy

And if i understand you correctly hippie dickie, you inhale very slowly so the herb keeps a constant vaporization temperature, fill most of your lungs, exhale a little and then inhale again?
And do you never get light headed because of oxygen deprivation? I know 20 seconds ain't that long, but it seems like a long time to me since i've only once used a vaporizer (some cheap chinese piece of ***)

if i for example
Fill my lungs 2/3 vapor
Inhale 1/3 oxygen
Exhale oxygen
Inhale 1/3 new fresh oxygen

am i doing it right?
How many times do you repeat this process?

Jens,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i didn't explain it clearly (as usual) ... i play with each hit for about 20 seconds, exhaling and inhaling a little at a time. Then take a breath or two to clear the lungs and take another hit. Repeat until the bud is spent (that is, the vapor is too thin) or the auto-timer shuts off the Bud Toaster.

Hippie Dickie,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I think that Hippie's description of a slow, steady draw is a good one. Sort of like hitting a joint. With a whip, you can see the vapor coming through the wand and whip. If you start feeling a tickle in the back of your throat after a 10 seconds of drawing, you have probably got plenty and are about ready to cough. You will definitely know if you've gotten too much. :lol: It doesn't take long at all to figure it out. Usually, we ere on the side of too much, rather than inhaling too little.

momofthegoons,

Jens

Oh i see what you mean now hippie ^-^

thx for the info guys

if anyone has any other tips, feel free to add them
i'd like my first true vaping experience to be as good and 'profesional' as possible

just to make sure, unless you want to, it is not needed to fill your lungs to the max, but just for a good portion and then inhale => exhale small amounts so the thc touches your lungs more

Jens,
Top Bottom