How High - Hiw do you mesure highness

tgvp

Hi there!
Apart from making a not so funny joke on the title of a not so funny stoner comedy (yeah, I grown up 🤷‍♂️), I was wondering if any of you has any tricks on how to evaluate strength of an edible preparation or efficiency of a vaping device.
For example, I like to use my AVB and pressed rosin pucks to prepare cannaoil I then put into edibles to offer around, but I don't want to newbies to overdose on it. So I have to estimate a "standard dosis" that will serve for this batch, as strength may vary quite a lot from a batch to another.
I know this is a highly (pun intended but not assumed) subjective matter, as even with the exact same bud, on the same device, with the exact same technique, results will still vary depending on what you vape in the last couple of hours, time of the day, age of the captain, and so on.
But maybe there are a few tips and tricks that would help for at least a low precision estimation?
My "protocol" is to try it (for cannaoil) with a measured quantity (eg. 1gr of oil), while sober then self check one hour latter how functional I still am. But due to tolerance level and lack of objective mesurement, there is still a lot of wiggle room. Then retry the next day a lower 1/2 dosage or 2x higher.
But that protocol still has a lot of room for improvement, so I wonder what could be done more scientifically, like IDK, picture of the eye to compare redness (which depends on so many other factors) or how it tickles on your fingers ?
[Imagine legolas gif, couldn't find the right ine]

cptofnthng

Its not possible to objectively measure effects in subjects with first person perspectives.
You can only ask and let them rate.
But i think you can say on average a 10 mg dose works for mild effects as an edible (i picked a random number as a guess).

cptofnthng,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

tgvp

But i think you can say on average a 10 mg dose works for mild effects as an edible (i picked a random number as a guess).

Yeah, but that would work if you have the same input and can therfore guess the THC content (knowing that no extraction is 100% efficient) which I dont know as for edibles I use AVB and pucks on various proportions. And questions still stands if you want to compare devices (which is even more complicated as bowl size varies and many other factors matter, like taste, harshness, practicality and so on)

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
So you want a guess on your edible THC level? Stronger from pucks than ABV, I'd guess.
Not understanding the question about vapes, exactly. Are you asking which vapes get you highest? Or how we determine how high we are?

Madri-Gal,

tgvp

So you want a guess on your edible THC level? Stronger from pucks than ABV, I'd guess.
Not understanding the question about vapes, exactly. Are you asking which vapes get you highest? Or how we determine how high we are?
The last one. Take as an example, I've prepared a new batch of edibles I intend to give around, so I need to check how big a dose of oil per portion will be for a non seasoned consumer to enjoy it without getting trashed. So I take 1gr of cannaoil and after some time I feel well medicated. Well, I'm anywhere between 20 and 60 mg of thc. So does my standard dose need to be at 0.25g or 0.5g (5mg or 15mg)?
For now, my technique is to wait 1 or 2 days, then retry half dose or so until I can only feel low symptoms. But that takes time.
So, who knows, maybe there is a medical diagnostic scale to assess "thc intoxication" I could use to better self evaluate my highness and calculate more easily dosage.

Durbandream

I know I'm good when I look at my vape and it's like "Nah."

But seriously, I just start with the smallest amount I think will have an effect and move up from there. This way is nice because it's really surprising how little you need to feel something, I've started breaking off little pieces from a nug, pushing the cooling unit in my TM2 stem all the way down until there's just a sliver of space at the bottom and vaping that in one or two hits, and the effects are strong and pretty long lasting.

Durbandream,

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
The last one. Take as an example, I've prepared a new batch of edibles I intend to give around, so I need to check how big a dose of oil per portion will be for a non seasoned consumer to enjoy it without getting trashed. So I take 1gr of cannaoil and after some time I feel well medicated. Well, I'm anywhere between 20 and 60 mg of thc. So does my standard dose need to be at 0.25g or 0.5g (5mg or 15mg)?
For now, my technique is to wait 1 or 2 days, then retry half dose or so until I can only feel low symptoms. But that takes time.
So, who knows, maybe there is a medical diagnostic scale to assess "thc intoxication" I could use to better self evaluate my highness and calculate more easily dosage.
It sounds like you want to guess a dosage, and you want to guess for other people based on how you feel. If you guess wrong, people will have a very bad time. Is that a responsibility you want? If so, research making edibles. Get a good book, read a bunch of articles, watch videos, do what you have to to do the math. You will need to know the thc level of your cannabis, number of doses you want to make, etc. You are responsible for getting this right, if you are giving this to another person. Legally responsible, so it is worth learning. You just need to start from the beginning, not guess how high you think you might be and try to work backwards.
As for a " medical diagnostic scale", there is no Tokey Scale of Medical Highness. If you were to present to a medical professional, say at an Emergency Room, as that's where a fair amount of people who white out end up, you would have vitals done to check respiration, heart rate, temperature, blood pressure, O2 saturation, if you consent you might have a drug test, either urine or blood, and that could give you a useful number, and you are then going to be looked at for symptoms while that's at the lab. Are you pale, clammy, vomiting, hallucinating, etc? After symptom management, most likely fluids and an antiemetic if there is nausea, but mostly you'll have to ride it out, and the clinician isn't going to describe how high you were or how you felt (though they should record how you say you felt) but how you present, i.e pale, hunched over, holding head, stomach, screaming, moaning, etc. There won't be, say "patient is a 9 on the Tokey Scale Of Highness" in the notes. It's not a thing.
It's also not a linear equation, it's not a matter of THC consumed minus tolerance equals fucked upness. Personal physiology, if a person is ill, if a person has eaten recently, mood, the weather...any number of things can influence what we perceive as highness. Just because you are high, doesn't mean much for another person.

I make edibles. Love my Ardent for decarb. so much, I bought a second one. Edibles can be wonderful, but they can be a nightmare if improperly dosed. Start from the beginning and work forward. Trying to guess is a mistake that can make people sick. They won't thank you for the experience.

tgvp

It sounds like you want to guess a dosage, and you want to guess for other people based on how you feel. If you guess wrong, people will have a very bad time. Is that a responsibility you want? If so, research making edibles. Get a good book, read a bunch of articles, watch videos, do what you have to to do the math. You will need to know the thc level of your cannabis, number of doses you want to make, etc. You are responsible for getting this right, if you are giving this to another person. Legally responsible, so it is worth learning. You just need to start from the beginning, not guess how high you think you might be and try to work backwards.
As for a " medical diagnostic scale", there is no Tokey Scale of Medical Highness. If you were to present to a medical professional, say at an Emergency Room, as that's where a fair amount of people who white out end up, you would have vitals done to check respiration, heart rate, temperature, blood pressure, O2 saturation, if you consent you might have a drug test, either urine or blood, and that could give you a useful number, and you are then going to be looked at for symptoms while that's at the lab. Are you pale, clammy, vomiting, hallucinating, etc? After symptom management, most likely fluids and an antiemetic if there is nausea, but mostly you'll have to ride it out, and the clinician isn't going to describe how high you were or how you felt (though they should record how you say you felt) but how you present, i.e pale, hunched over, holding head, stomach, screaming, moaning, etc. There won't be, say "patient is a 9 on the Tokey Scale Of Highness" in the notes. It's not a thing.
It's also not a linear equation, it's not a matter of THC consumed minus tolerance equals fucked upness. Personal physiology, if a person is ill, if a person has eaten recently, mood, the weather...any number of things can influence what we perceive as highness. Just because you are high, doesn't mean much for another person.

I make edibles. Love my Ardent for decarb. so much, I bought a second one. Edibles can be wonderful, but they can be a nightmare if improperly dosed. Start from the beginning and work forward. Trying to guess is a mistake that can make people sick. They won't thank you for the experience.
Don't worry, I'm not intoxicating random innocent people by surprise 😅 I've been preparing edibles for people for some time now and always have be very careful about dosage, even my wife indulge herself one of my treeats from time to time. But I wouldn't mind a more scientific way of evaluating potency than mine, that's all

Top Bottom