How can I tell what stats I have to increase in order to be able to post in Classifieds?

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Delete please. Why don't users have the ability to delete their own posts here. That's draconian. Been a member of a lot of different forms and the majority let the user delete their own posts.

I hate it when users delete their own posts. It makes it too easy for them to erase their own mistakes as if they never happened. It's a bit dishonest, imho.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Delete please. Why don't users have the ability to delete their own posts here. That's draconian. Been a member of a lot of different forms and the majority let the user delete their own posts.
If you want a post removed ,report it with a comment please delete. Users can edit posts within a certain time window ,so you can change the content to "." or else. Removing a post re-arranges structure of a thread since all posts are numbered,also another idea behind it is that you wont misbehave and then try to sweep it under the carpet .

Kins

I hate it when users delete their own posts. It makes it too easy for them to erase their own mistakes as if they never happened. It's a bit dishonest, imho.

People make mistakes, that's just part of life. 99% of the time I believe there is nothing shady going on. How many other forums are you a member of and how many of them allow you to delete posts?. I'm not mad or anything just saying this isn't SOP as far as forums go.

Kins,
Reactions: Ramahs

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
People make mistakes, that's just part of life. 99% of the time I believe there is nothing shady going on. How many other forums are you a member of and how many of them allow you to delete posts?. I'm not mad or anything just saying this isn't SOP as far as forums go.

I am a member of lots of other forums, and there are a couple of social groups I've moderated on other platforms for many years. I try to never delete anything unless it is just totally extremely vile and disgusting. I'd prefer the record of what happened to remain. Otherwise people can easily just erase their mistakes as if they never happened. Then no one learns anything and the same shit continues to happen over and over again.

Sure, people make mistakes. But deleting them prevents others from learning anything from those mistakes.

In fact, I can remember forums that allowed anyone to see older versions of a post before the OP came back and edited it after they'd made the original post, so we could all be aware of what each stage of the post was before each edit by the OP. It kept things transparent, so that nothing removed was ever really lost. I DEFINITELY appreciated that. It was a valuable feature I don't see nearly often enough on online discussion forums these days because once someone edits a post (like we can do here for six hours after the post was originally created), what was previously there is lost forever. I see that as a negative thing.

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Yeah, I’ve always liked the etiquette of adding an edit block to explain your changes (unless it’s like a minor typo). If you make a mistake just edit it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I’m not opposed to deletion but it makes responses to the deleted comment seem out of nowhere. It’s also pretty common on other platforms (Reddit and such) to remove a record of trolling behavior after accruing a bunch of downvotes.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: Ramahs
Top Bottom