House Bill 2401, Washington State. Legalization and taxation

aero18

vaporist
Yep, read this on Tuesday. Interesting that my representatives said that they felt that there was not enough support for legalization and instead that we should focus on decriminalization (which they agreed would be passed in 2010).

Pleasantly 'surprised' me that they decided to go through with all-out legalization. Being a liberal state, I do see some brighter days ahead.

aero18,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
and I like the online poll normal is having, Which state do you think will legalize first?

I say colorado, its not listed in their poll, but I think it will happen there before the west coast does. Out of the west coast I think it is more likely Washington will. Would be nuts not too being that close too Vancouver.. especially if they are thinking taxation.

DevoTheStrange,

Frickr

even if none of these bills pass. its stil getting it out in the open, its opening up discussion about it, and its becoming less taboo every day. 2009 was a momumental year for the legalization movement, and i feel 2010 is going to be even bigger in this long battle. i feel the more this is made public, the better chance change will come about.

Frickr,

CrazyCracker

I would think Washington or Oregon, even though I believe California has the most to gain in terms or taxable income.

CrazyCracker,

aero18

vaporist
aero18,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I figure by summer of next year it should start gaining some more mainstream attention. I believe 2009 was the biggest year of victories for the MJ community. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2010

AGBeer,

Cr8z13

I hope the Mormons don't oppose this initiative like they did Prop 8.

Cr8z13,

Beezleb

I would think the Mormons would want it, as it might help them get in a few more doors hehe.

/Knock knock

Would you like to hear about our religion and smoke a joint!

hehe.

Beezleb,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
The Mormons are partially (or mostly) the ones to blame for the prohibition in the first place (from how I understand the story) Times are changing, and religion is becoming more and more seperated (albeit slowly) from politics. This is in our favor, as some of our more ridiculous laws have been based on religious propoganda.

Ugh... I dont want to turn this into something ugly for those who follow these principles - Sorry If I offended anyone.

AGBeer,

BuffaloBlaze

AGBeer said:
Ugh... I dont want to turn this into something ugly for those who follow these principles - Sorry If I offended anyone.
"Now, I'm sorry if anyone here is Catholic. I'm not sorry if I've offended you. I'm just sorry you're Catholic."

--Bill Hicks

BuffaloBlaze,

ClemsonVapor489

Almost exactly 10 years ago, I told my dad pot would be legal in 20 years. I think it's going to end up that, for all intents and purposes, I'm off by at least five years.

Full disclosure, I also "foresaw" the criminalization of tobacco...I didn't quite realize the money and power tobacco lobbies hold at that age...so yeah.

Certain parts of the country are close...others could be decriminalized by this time next year easily.

Honestly though, all it would take is one president who really believed in the cause. If any one of us became POTUS, that person could simply issue presidential pardons to those imprisoned for possession w/o intent (as a start). You'd only have to pardon people for a little while before the laws would simply no longer be enforced, essentially decriminalizing. This would also give us a "trial period." If, for instance, the religious right's paranoid claims are true and decriminalization leads to the downfall of American civilization, you can just as easily stop pardoning without the need for a lengthy legal process.

ClemsonVapor489,
G

I'm from seattle. i think we need more dispensaries here.
so far i only know about two!!

Guest,

2000pm

heh my decrim idea got shunned once someone threw up legalization - i thought it might have been too soon to drop that on there but I guess it *is* McGinn's site.

2000pm,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Decriminalization needs to happen in Washington State. I'm no criminal.. I just like weed. :/

HighSti,

chrisvv

Washington: Lawmakers on the House House Committee on Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness
will vote on Wednesday, January 20, at 1:30pm on two pending proposals,
House Bill 1177 and House Bill 2401.

House Bill 1177 seeks to reclassify the possession of forty grams or less of marijuana from a criminal misdemeanor to a class 2 civil infraction punishable by a $100 fine.

House Bill 2401 seeks to remove all existing civil and criminal penalties for adults 21 years of age or older who cultivate, possess, transport, sell, or use marijuana. This will be the first time state lawmakers have ever voted on regulating marijuana production, distribution, and use by adults.

Please visit http://www.norml.org to submit form letters to your representative. It only takes a second, and it's like the second-to-least you can do (the least being nothing and continuing to be persecuted for growing plants...)!

Thanks everyone! Lets make 2010 a Green Year!

chrisvv,

aero18

vaporist
chrisvv said:
Washington: Lawmakers on the House House Committee on Public Safety & Emergency Preparedness
will vote on Wednesday, January 20, at 1:30pm on two pending proposals,
House Bill 1177 and House Bill 2401.

House Bill 1177 seeks to reclassify the possession of forty grams or less of marijuana from a criminal misdemeanor to a class 2 civil infraction punishable by a $100 fine.

House Bill 2401 seeks to remove all existing civil and criminal penalties for adults 21 years of age or older who cultivate, possess, transport, sell, or use marijuana. This will be the first time state lawmakers have ever voted on regulating marijuana production, distribution, and use by adults.

Please visit http://www.norml.org to submit form letters to your representative. It only takes a second, and it's like the second-to-least you can do (the least being nothing and continuing to be persecuted for growing plants...)!

Thanks everyone! Lets make 2010 a Green Year!
I've sent two letters already. Anyone who is an adult should send them an email!

aero18,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I believe it was shot down on the floor, but its going on the ballot? Something like that I think...

AGBeer,

StickyShisha2

House Bill 2401 sought to regulate the adult production, use, and distribution of marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol. Here was the roll call vote:
Hurst (D) Chair N
OBrien (D) Vice Chair N
Pearson (R) N
Klippert (R) N
Appleton (D) Y
Goodman (D) Y
Kirby (D) N
Ross (R) N

House Bill 1177 was much more limited in scope, seeking simply to reclassify minor marijuana possession offenses from a criminal misdemeanor to a fine-only civil infraction. (Note, its Senate companion bill, SB 5615, awaits floor action in the Senate.) This change, known as decriminalization, is already the law in over a dozen states.
Here was the roll call vote:
Hurst (D) Chair N
OBrien (D) Vice Chair Y
Pearson (R) N
Klippert (R) N
Appleton (D) Y
Goodman (D) Y
Kirby (D) N

StickyShisha2,

Rick

Zapman
What's wrong with those fucking Dems voting NO? Here they have a majority by a bunch but still cannot make it. And WTF is this automatic NO from the GOP? What? They don't even do pot? What fucking phony puritans.

Rick,
Top Bottom