Discontinued Hopper io

MoltenTiger

I tried my Ti io the other day, it had stopped heating and after some time with the V3 Pro (with good results) all my hoppers sat untouched and forgotten. I randomly picked it up the other day and clicked it on, and it seemed to be heating nicely again!?

I got a few chambers out of it, it's seemingly dead again, or dying. Getting warm but sporadic output.

A nice tool, but not like this!

Still no word about the multiple RMAs I have open. I won't be bothering with any more, and I doubt anything will happen with the 3 I've previously lodged.

JBone65

I tried my Ti io the other day, it had stopped heating and after some time with the V3 Pro (with good results) all my hoppers sat untouched and forgotten. I randomly picked it up the other day and clicked it on, and it seemed to be heating nicely again!?

I got a few chambers out of it, it's seemingly dead again, or dying. Getting warm but sporadic output.

A nice tool, but not like this!

Still no word about the multiple RMAs I have open. I won't be bothering with any more, and I doubt anything will happen with the 3 I've previously lodged.
Sorry to hear that. Have you diagnosed the problem? Sounds like it could be anything from a charging problem to clogged air path. Very odd that it works occasionally.

JBone65,

whereskarlo

Came on to see what had happened on the Hopper thread. Maybe it was full of people finally raving about it? The kinks had been worked out and people very joyously toking away on their pen shaped vaping gadgets? But no, the same old air of despair prevails, and the Hopper still acts as the proverbial honeypot, where hard earned money, poorly vaped weed, wasted time, and maddening anguish goes to decay in a slow, grinding pace. I shall move on from this mirage and seek guidance from other threads. I will follow the trail across the Atlantic, through the Baltic Sea, and into the depths of the forsaken, pine tree covered lands of the North, to explore what the Finnish people have created. Rumor has it their wood encrusted vaping tool produces even denser, more satisfying, and mind altering vapor than the Hopper ever 'Hoped' to do.

mulciber

Came on to see what had happened on the Hopper thread. Maybe it was full of people finally raving about it? The kinks had been worked out and people very joyously toking away on their pen shaped vaping gadgets? But no, the same old air of despair prevails, and the Hopper still acts as the proverbial honeypot, where hard earned money, poorly vaped weed, wasted time, and maddening anguish goes to decay in a slow, grinding pace. I shall move on from this mirage and seek guidance from other threads. I will follow the trail across the Atlantic, through the Baltic Sea, and into the depths of the forsaken, pine tree covered lands of the North, to explore what the Finnish people have created. Rumor has it their wood encrusted vaping tool produces even denser, more satisfying, and mind altering vapor than the Hopper ever 'Hoped' to do.
Yes, curiosity about the Finnish contribution is well-founded. I'll follow you there at some point.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I can confirm that curiosity is rewarded ;) I was thinking about how much I had wanted the hopper to be my second vape way back when, I had discovered it just a few weeks too late for the original indiegogo, so then I was one of the first to preorder when they opened up pre-orders... Got so many other vapes in between that time, beta testing one in particular especially changed the game for me, and now today so many more like the Scandinavian wonders chief among them... Well I'm lucky I have working hoppers, I just hardly ever really want to use them :rofl:

ondemander

I'm pretty sure 90% of the problems can be attributed to weak batteries or clogged mouthpiece. 90%+ alcohol helped me as I was reduced to 70% during the pandemic and it couldn't clean out even the PFE effectively enough. Blowing in the mouthpiece and in the little inlet holes on the side will occasionally shoot out a stuck particle. When I first got the new GHB3 batteries I could get just 2 bowls temp stepping every half click. Now it's just under a full bowl and they die. But if I pop in fresh charged batteries it runs like a champ. Problem is all my batteries are old now and rapidly lose charge over time. The major design flaw is how hot these things run that the batteries can't take so many heat cycles. Also I could've exacerbated the wear by trying to hit it when it was more clogged and just got hot on the outside. I got my 2 new batteries at the beginning of May and they wear severely diminished by September after averaging just 1 to 2 bowls a day. I would love to try a A/C adapter.

MoltenTiger

Sorry to hear that. Have you diagnosed the problem? Sounds like it could be anything from a charging problem to clogged air path. Very odd that it works occasionally.
It's a bit of a pity, but it's really business as usual. If I were to average my 6 years of hoppering out, I've had more success with the io, but it is still a complex design with too many points of failure to count.

The symptoms my hopper's showing are common with hoppers in general. It is probably failing components from heat damage. The ICs in the device are likely shot and the heat curves are now mostly ineffective and totally unpredictable.

It has seen plenty of usage to wind up in this state, it’s not had massive use though as my ss io took over at the beginning of this year until it too died, along with its spare body I purchased.

It was very good whilst it lasted. But it has been chunks of useful moments over 6 years, sometimes I could get many months of good use - I do have a legacy which is RMA free since 2018 - but when the grasshopper performs how I want to use it and how I enjoy it most, it is just for a short wonderful while. In the more robust cooler operating state of many units, anything else is better.
After 6 years finally there is a cheap equivalent that fills the void swimmingly. Overnight accessibility, actual customer service, consistent product, all worthwhile benefits.

I was hopeful for the Hopper io, however it’s much the same situation as before, which is a short term joy and eventually a lot of fucking around for a poor choice of toy.

MoltenTiger,
Reactions: Vaporific

JBone65

temp stepping every half click.
I'm doing the same, then get 2-3 hits on level 5 to finish the load. I've been lucky, the io's been amazing for almost 16 months. Might have to change someday but this piglet has a firm lip lock on HL's teet.

Concerning battery performance, starting on level 1 with a fully charged battery I can get 7-9 hits before it dies, although usually charge it sooner. High temp hits might drain the battery faster than low temp hits, might only get 5-6 hits if all high temp.

Have heard stories about 15-20 hits on one charge with a new battery but I never saw that. It could have to do with me drawing long 15-16 second hits for maximum extraction (i.e. maximum buzz).

JBone65,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I need and must get a can of compressed air and clean out the air holes on my IO. I never did this with my OG but it may be time to try the one thing I’ve never done to either of my Hoppers for maintenance. My IO’s performance has dwindled the last few weeks after 15+ months of flawless operation. By mouth I’ve tried blowing air into the holes on the OG a few times but only after it’s lone RMA (which took a year a couple of years ago). Now my IO is exhibiting similar issues: very little vapor on first few draws and it’s getting hot quickly. I know it can and does get warm mid section where the heater is just above the holes but it’s gotten even more pronounced recently. And this is with both older and 3 brand new batts I received last week which are still going through their initial usage (I haven’t used the 3rd one yet). I charged them all externally too, and the first (I label & rotate all batts) was charged additionally with my legacy mag charging cable.

Something ain’t right. Also my IO goes to flashing lights more quickly recently too, even with the new batts. I MUST get compressed air today, dammit!

I know the long history with Hopper batteries too and can attest they are not all the same. Before I blame my new set of 3, or at least the first one which is a candidate for runt of the litter, I need to check their charging stats. I have two Nitecores, a simple 4-slot (D4 I think) and a 2-slot i2 (I think) that displays time, amps/volts which I use most of the time. I initially charged up the new Hopper batts with the D4 and will use the other one next time.

I am getting some vapor (and effects) with the IO but it’s not getting warm enough on the low temps like I had previously. I’m hoping the compressed air will help. I regularly brush it out and clean with ISO, including soaking the frontend completely for hours or overnight, blue-Tac and Deoxit (just got a new pen too). Time will tell and I’m hoping the air holes cleaned out will help. If it does I’ll do the same on my OG for the first time, which does work though it’s seldom used because the IO is better. For now. We’ll see. Otherwise it may suffer the same fate as my OG - and I won’t even bother registering it or sending it it for an RMA, and I’ll be officially throwing in the towel with HL like many herein recently have after mostly long runs with HL (got my OG in June ‘16 and IO in September ‘20). We shall see… :peace:

Vaping_Casual

Classic update: Currently being borderline ghosted in the warranty portal. Had the back end issue akin to everyone else some time ago, sent it back, got it back in identical condition (disgraceful), and held onto it since. I initiated a warranty request in 2020, but let it sit for some time as they could sort out their QA. I sent the back end in 3 weeks ago along with two warranty portal messages from me to confirm delivery and tracking etc, but no response.

Per someone's suggestion, I emailed the support email directly with my information and issue and was told "to use the portal", despite explicitly discussing in my opening email that I had sent messages via the portal. Waited again and sent a follow up email in the same thread with the support email. We'll see!
I'm still out my backend and have received no updates.

A new SS unit I got used worked flawlessly until last night when... It won't turn on and will only sporadically show a light, no matter what battery. Back end of said unit also has the classic grinding.

Both units mid 300s serials.

JBone65

I need and must get a can of compressed air and clean out the air holes on my IO. I never did this with my OG but it may be time to try the one thing I’ve never done to either of my Hoppers for maintenance. My IO’s performance has dwindled the last few weeks after 15+ months of flawless operation. By mouth I’ve tried blowing air into the holes on the OG a few times but only after it’s lone RMA (which took a year a couple of years ago). Now my IO is exhibiting similar issues: very little vapor on first few draws and it’s getting hot quickly. I know it can and does get warm mid section where the heater is just above the holes but it’s gotten even more pronounced recently. And this is with both older and 3 brand new batts I received last week which are still going through their initial usage (I haven’t used the 3rd one yet). I charged them all externally too, and the first (I label & rotate all batts) was charged additionally with my legacy mag charging cable.

Something ain’t right. Also my IO goes to flashing lights more quickly recently too, even with the new batts. I MUST get compressed air today, dammit!

I know the long history with Hopper batteries too and can attest they are not all the same. Before I blame my new set of 3, or at least the first one which is a candidate for runt of the litter, I need to check their charging stats. I have two Nitecores, a simple 4-slot (D4 I think) and a 2-slot i2 (I think) that displays time, amps/volts which I use most of the time. I initially charged up the new Hopper batts with the D4 and will use the other one next time.

I am getting some vapor (and effects) with the IO but it’s not getting warm enough on the low temps like I had previously. I’m hoping the compressed air will help. I regularly brush it out and clean with ISO, including soaking the frontend completely for hours or overnight, blue-Tac and Deoxit (just got a new pen too). Time will tell and I’m hoping the air holes cleaned out will help. If it does I’ll do the same on my OG for the first time, which does work though it’s seldom used because the IO is better. For now. We’ll see. Otherwise it may suffer the same fate as my OG - and I won’t even bother registering it or sending it it for an RMA, and I’ll be officially throwing in the towel with HL like many herein recently have after mostly long runs with HL (got my OG in June ‘16 and IO in September ‘20). We shall see… :peace:
Can you see light thru the intake ports when you hold it up and turn it? Does it draw as freely as it should?

I hate to hear HL is not replacing inexpensive SS parts, especially after promising to do so. I'm probably living on borrowed time with my io.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I opened an rma 5 weeks ago, on two bodies not working.
Crickets from HL.
This has afforded me plenty of time to enjoy other vapes. Our one last functional hopper is relegated to 'occasional' use.

Vaporific

@JBone65 - I can see lights and draw without issue. Bought compressed air today and will fiddle with it soon - and the obligatory testing of course.

I recently upgraded my iOS (newer model too, not an old one) to the latest version and Safari isn’t letting me select multiple lines for quotes any longer. Hence the @ mention above. Naturally I use my phone for FC like many do. Anyone else having this issue? Have any of the mods heard of this issue? Cheers. :peace:

Vaporific,

fogbank

I have a GHB2 battery that I put in a Ti OG Hopper and charged fully. I stopped counting the number of hits that I got from it at 12. It showed no signs of slowing down.

I fully charged the battery again in the Ti OG Hopper. I removed it from the Ti OG Hopper and put it in an SS IO Hopper. The SS IO Hopper started flashing approximately 9 seconds into my first draw.

Same battery, same charger, 12 hits in an OG Hopper, not even one full hit in an IO Hopper before I got blinking lights.

Shit Snacks

I need and must get a can of compressed air and clean out the air holes on my IO.

Just in case you're not aware, cans of compressed air contain added bitterents, and should never be used on cleaning vape parts, it will ruin your heater if you spray it in there, full of toxins... I believe you can get an air compressor to force fresh air into something and then maybe what you were referring to, but as far as I know all canned air should be kept away from our paraphernalia!

Also I was having trouble earlier with replying and quoting on my phone, Android, but it fixed itself...

Last edited:

Vaporific

Just in case you're not aware, cans of compressed air contain added bitterness, and should never be used on cleaning vape parts, it will ruin your heater if you spray it in there, full of toxins... I believe you can get an air compressor to force fresh air into something and then maybe what you were referring to, but as far as I know all canned air should be kept away from our paraphernalia!

Also I was having trouble earlier with replying and quoting on my phone, Android, but it fixed itself...
Too late. I did a few burnoffs before I used it again. Not sure if it fixed the issue which is that I’m not getting vapor on the first draw on low temps (starting at 2 now) like I used to. I’m trying to have a Hopper weekend and use all 3 new batts and haven’t used the 3rd one yet - to see if new batts help (one would figure they can’t hurt but HL batts are inconsistent).

I have an iPhone and still can’t quote, the browser goes crazy trying to select text. We shall see on both fronts, my IO and FC :) :peace:

EDIT: quoting works better going backward and still doesn’t work going forward. But going backward won’t let me size it back down past a certain point. Safari is messed up. Let’s hope my IO isn’t.

Last edited:
Vaporific,

Shit Snacks

Too late. I did a few burnoffs before I used it again. Not sure if it fixed the issue which is that I’m not getting vapor on the first draw on low temps (starting at 2 now) like I used to. I’m trying to have a Hopper weekend and use all 3 new batts and haven’t used the 3rd one yet - to see if new batts help (one would figure they can’t hurt but HL batts are inconsistent).

Oy by the way autocorrect changed what I wrote, was supposed to be bitterents, which are toxic and should not be inhaled, honestly I'm not sure burnoffs is even enough, but I should not give you unnecessary paranoia since the deed has already been done... Sorry wish I saw this and told you sooner!

I have an iPhone and still can’t quote, the browser goes crazy trying to select text. We shall see on both fronts, my IO and FC :) :peace:

EDIT: quoting works better going backward and still doesn’t work going forward. But going backward won’t let me size it back down past a certain point. Safari is messed up. Let’s hope my IO isn’t.

eeee good luck sorting it all out my dude!!

JBone65

Not sure if it fixed the issue which is that I’m not getting vapor on the first draw on low temps (starting at 2 now) like I used to.
The level 1 terp hits are my favorite. I hold'em longer and let'em out in stages, to savor the psychoactive flavor for several minutes. Premium weed terps have a different effect IMO, excellent body stone. Outta be illegal....

Bought 2 oz of super silver haze (supposedly) for $100/oz several months ago. Looked great, thought I stole it at first but it might have been mishandled or gotten warm because the terp hit is only about half what it should be. I still enjoy it the same way but using more than usual so didn't save any money. While dispensaries are great, I need to grow it again to get the absolute best terpenoid hits. One of these days.

ondemander

I've been using my SS IO for the past couple of days around the house in place of other vapes I usually use like the Splinter Z or the SB OG. It's been good as long I constantly have a fresh battery already charging on the charger. Today however I was reminded how dangerous they can be and was shocked (felt like a wicked burn) for a millisecond when the unit turned on while I was screwing a battery in. I usually never keep my fingers near the inlet holes for that reason, but I'll remember for next time even when the unit is off it can shock you. It stopped hurting after about 5 or 10 minutes, but damn these things pack a punch. Still not as bad as the inner lip blister I got when it cooked me from using it too long natively.

ondemander,
  • Sad
Reactions: vapviking

JBone65

As happens when I lose track, my battery ran down and I got the blinking lights yesterday. My fully charged spare battery was within reach, put the ring charger on it instead and wait a few minutes. I'm just lazy that way. It only runs down around once a month, but this scenario applies even when traveling.

Having said that, my ring charger doesn't wanna work at my daughter's older house. Must be something about the voltage and/or frequency not meshing with the io charging process. It's a toss up whether or not to use the spare battery at home but the spare battery comes in handy there.

I often post about finicky chargers and charging issues in general. Not surprised to read about others having dead batteries. Batteries are pretty simple from a manufacturing standpoint, the chance of getting all defective batteries is nearly nil. IMO the chances of experiencing charging issues, an inability to charge, is high. My problems involve the ring charger and lights refusing to flash when/where I choose. I suspect there are other issues, possibly with aftermarket chargers, or with aftermarket chargers in environments with certain nyd voltage/frequency issues.

Last edited:
JBone65,

Vaporific

Almost at the end of the rotation with my 3 brand new batts, all charged up with my Nitecores, and I think my IO is going the way my OG did several years ago; the OG spent a year in RMA and does work fairly well now but seldom used for 15+ months since I’ve had the IO.

Time to reverse course and test the new batts in the OG and give the IO a rest. I’ve cleaned the IO as best I could and won’t repeat the canned compressed air application. The falacy is that the heater screen or bottom of the chamber - whatever it’s called - is still inserted and I’ve never accidentally or intentionally removed it from either of my Hoppers. If anything is stuck inside it has no way to get out. The IO Is not consistently generating vapor like it used to until last month. Time to take the OG out of mothballs to continue a Hopper weekend - and test the new batteries a different way. I still think one doesn’t have the capacity as the others.

….XMAX V3 Pro, huh? Perhaps more like XMAS V3 Pro :lol::peace:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
As happens when I lose track, my battery ran down and I got the blinking lights yesterday. My fully charged spare battery was within reach, put the ring charger on it instead and wait a few minutes. I'm just lazy that way. It only runs down around once a month, but this scenario applies even when traveling.

Having said that, my ring charger doesn't wanna work at my daughter's older house. Must be something about the voltage and/or frequency not meshing with the io charging process. It's a toss up whether or not to use the spare battery at home but the spare battery comes in handy there.

I often post about finicky chargers and charging issues in general. Not surprised to read about others having dead batteries. Batteries are pretty simple from a manufacturing standpoint, the chance of getting all defective batteries is nearly nil. IMO the chances of experiencing charging issues, an inability to charge, is high. My problems involve the ring charger and lights refusing to flash when/where I choose. I suspect there are other issues, possibly with aftermarket chargers, or with aftermarket chargers in environments with certain nyd voltage/frequency issues.

I only use name brand USB wall chargers, like Apple, Anker, etc. I believe MacFixit had a Apple USB charger teardown article with photos, the cheap Chinese clones, had approximately 50% less electronic components, some potential fire hazards. Not an area worth trying to save a few bucks.

But, assuming you stick to quality chargers, you shouldn’t be concerned with the voltage and frequency. If you READ the required electrical specifications printed on the charger, you would see most quality chargers, like an iPad 2.1 amp USB wall charger can handle 100-240 VOLTS, 59-60 HERTZ. So, unless you are living off the power grid, the outlet power in most developed countries will seldom be an ISSUE! I’ve charged USB devices off a 1800watt Honda generator.

If you are experiencing issues charging an HL device, it’s highly doubtful it’s got anything to do with your mains power source! Also, everyone owns some kind of VOLT METER/TESTER, no?

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: eideal852

JBone65

Almost at the end of the rotation with my 3 brand new batts, all charged up with my Nitecores, and I think my IO is going the way my OG did several years ago; the OG spent a year in RMA and does work fairly well now but seldom used for 15+ months since I’ve had the IO.

Time to reverse course and test the new batts in the OG and give the IO a rest. I’ve cleaned the IO as best I could and won’t repeat the canned compressed air application. The falacy is that the heater screen or bottom of the chamber - whatever it’s called - is still inserted and I’ve never accidentally or intentionally removed it from either of my Hoppers. If anything is stuck inside it has no way to get out. The IO Is not consistently generating vapor like it used to until last month. Time to take the OG out of mothballs to continue a Hopper weekend - and test the new batteries a different way. I still think one doesn’t have the capacity as the others.

….XMAX V3 Pro, huh? Perhaps more like XMAS V3 Pro :lol::peace:
You can unscrew the heating element from the body to inspect it.

JBone65,
Reactions: JoeMama

JBone65

i don't know if this would affect the warranty. If you can see daylight looking thru the intake holes and can draw air freely there shouldn't be anything wrong in there. How does the top of the screen look when you shine a flashlight down in there? Should be clean.

If feeling lucky, you can probably loosen it with your fingers. The chamber and heating elements will unscrew from the main body. Might be easier if hot. I probably wouldn't use a tool to wrench on it. Not sure about the wall thickness, might be as thin as a plastic straw.

HL advised using threadlock and torquing mine "hand tight" to stop it from coming loose periodically. I haven't done that yet so mine still comes loose periodically. I've started keeping the MP threads cleaner and avoid tightening the MP so it'll come off easy.

Last edited:
JBone65,
Top Bottom