Discontinued Hopper io

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
No luck, have emailed hopper labs.

Unfortunatley the external battery charger I bought doenst fit the batteries properly, so no further insight gained as to what the issue might be.

Hoping its just a bad charging cable tho! 🤞
What external charger did you buy? Many (not all) by Nitecore and Xtar will work with the Hopper batts.

My new IO frontend (and glass vials) should arrive today about a week after ordering them. Looking forward to the native frontend again though my PFE has suitably and dutifully served as a backup. :peace:

What external charger did you buy? Many (not all) by Nitecore and Xtar will work with the Hopper batts.

My new IO frontend (and glass vials) should arrive today about a week after ordering them. Looking forward to the native frontend again though my PFE has suitably and dutifully served as a backup. :peace:

I bought this one, which just seems to be poor quality (the loading spring mechanism jams):

Should have bought a nitecore or xtar, kicking myself!

JBone65

Looking forward to the native frontend again though my PFE has suitably and dutifully served as a backup.
Just can't resist getting mine too hot on the last hit, will try the condom again.
No luck, have emailed hopper labs.
Sorry to hear that. Did you register it and open a new warranty request?

I should have mentioned that the io might not charge if near metal or if the magnetic field is disturbed. On several occasions, my io would only charge if I held it in my hand. Have no idea why that worked, but I was happy to hold it for awhile until it would keep going.

Last edited:

Vaporific

I bought this one, which just seems to be poor quality (the loading spring mechanism jams):

Should have bought a nitecore or xtar, kicking myself!
If it weren’t for the spring loading that should charge a Hopper batt. You might need a spacer underneath if there’s a gap OR the charger won’t hold the cell suspended. My Hopper batts are suspended in my new Nitecores (older models didn’t require a spacer or suspending the cell between the charging points). Not that I’m a charging expert but I’d go with a decent brand name charger. Good luck. :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
the io might not charge if near metal or if the magnetic field is disturbed.
You may be confusing two similar, but different concepts here (about the magnetic charger).
First, I will agree that a hopper must be kept out of contact with other metal objects, during charging and at most other times as well, because the body itself is part of the current-carrying circuity that makes the device function. We've all seen the hopper (when off) blink briefly when it touches something. That is actually a circuit-breaker blinking once as it kills the current (which was triggered by the short-circuit resultant from contact.

But I think the magnetic charger, as we all call it, is only magnetic for the purpose of attaching the charge ring to the device. I don't think it is an active part of the charge system, per se.
My wife's water-pic charges on a base with no metal contact points; it uses magnetism to induce motion, and yada, yada, yada, charging current.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

The magnetic charger does attach via magnets and charge via contacts, however it is prone to picking up metallic dust if exposed to it. This can bridge the contacts and prevent functionality. Worth checking to see if that is what is preventing the function, but it also doesn't seem that unlikely that the charger has died, as many have before.. they are just another custom crazy contraption from the Lab!

Always hard to know with the hopper, but has anyone had a totally dead unit without any LED response when using a charged battery with a malfunctioning unit? I still got lights, apart from the time my clicker fused in place and even with unreasonable force wouldn't budge (and I haven't used an 18650 and sled with the hopper ever again, it was kind of handy but also, I much prefer the default batteries for several reasons, charge times, ease of use, portability).

Xtar MC2 is perfect for hassle-free charging, for those who are about to buy. Generally any Li-ion cylinder charger will be fine, though as these batteries are already <750mAh they have a very short lifespan given their work environment.
Back in 2017 the state of the batteries was pretty bad! I still have quite a lot of GHB1s, 2s and the 3 GHB3s I have seem to be doing the best job of any yet. Some of the 2s proved pretty good too. 1s lasted half as long (half the price too 7 USD retail, and said to be $5 cost price FYI).

The Xtar MC2 is probably, besides the grasshopper, the most important part of my portable kit. It keeps everything in motion and has been used thousands of times. At less than 10 USD* you won't find a better option, and it is as if it was designed for the GHBs, at first I was using a generic store brand charger and it seemed to destroy the cells prematurely with 1A charging. After that crap waste of resources had one channel fail I upgraded. The size, quality and fit and finish of the Xtar has been enjoyed just about daily since (until some disruption from mains power).

iMarkup_20210901_002346.png

This is the bulk of my portable kit in no particular order;

Power bank
MC2
BCG
Nectar Collector Jar (for ABV)
Arizer Stir Tool
Bubbler
14mm tapered plugs for water-tight travel
7th Floor Buddha Bag
RYOT charcoal infused caddy
SS io
Leather Sleeve
MFLB brush
Cooling mouthpiece (pictured is a 14mm glass dome, but have you tried the regular mouthpiece stacked on the PFE yet?^)
420 Jar w/ Boveda humidity pack and some OG Tassie white widow

I don't cart around Blu-Tak, but it is handy when using the batteries and spinning lots of threads (tacky thread cleaner, learnt from a flashlight forum, which is also where I found the MC2, spreading the love here in hope that anyone might benefit as much as I have from having the right tools for the best job)

Sometimes spares are handy too, extra mouthpieces, spare hoppers, plus scrapers, scoops, toothpicks, all things that good to have might as well be had.

Not pictured is the Feeder, it lives in the car, the ultimate travel buddy.
Pack, toke, wind down window, poke out hopper, wind blasts it clear, pick up feeder, repeat. It's about as good as that can go.

I don't really use the magnetic charger. I quite like it, but even with multiple units I mainly use just a single one and rotate batteries, or have it plugged into mains power. It comes in handy from time to time, but the Xtar is more user friendly and with the benefit of seamless and continuous usage.

It's a pretty damn good time I must say.

*haven't ever used this site, I just found the correct older model for sale, it might have undergone extra production runs because they used to be harder to find. If what you want is an external Hopper charger, look no further, or read the reviews and learn to understand why it is so good! Super safe for these cells with the extremely limited charge once full.

^come to think of it, look how many mouthpieces are in this pic. I'm about to stack em all up for a rip :)

Vaporific

Got my accessories today (they were scheduled to arrive yesterday but USPS missed by a day). One IO native frontend and 5 glass vials stuffed into a padded envelope in a box by themselves, with one vial next to the frontend. I’m lucky nothing was broken as this could’ve been messy if mishandled or dropped. I’ll be cleaning the frontend tonight before using it. :peace:

Well guys, I’m back. For one glorious month - after getting the 3 month long “it’ll be ready next week” spiel - I was happily vaping away with my grey hopper io Ti and 8 spare batteries. For one whole month, my life was finally complete.

Then it broke. Stopped heating up a month later.... a month ago. Aannnddd I’m right back in the “it’ll be ready next week” twilight zone.

So to recap, out of the last 5 months since I paid for my shiny new hopper, I’ve only had one month to actually enjoy it. Im now 1 month into my warranty claim getting the same old run around. Such a rip off, I should have bought a vape from a more upstanding and respectable company, I should have listened to all the hopper labs horror stories. Just never thought it would happen to me =/ Think twice before you order a hopper, don’t become another statistic like me.

Tweakz

Pretty good combination of PFE + drip tip (with 2 o-rings 6x1.5+5x2). Vapor steam on it is much more pleasant and more cooler than the original Front-end + allows to make long draws without burning lips, giving out serious clouds with a nice taste.
Of course, my preferred option is to use io through the bong, but I think drip tip is one of the best ways to use io on the go.

590-DCDA5-99-DC-4-D7-A-BCC7-0-CE5-EF867-F11.jpg

my io is 3 weeks old, and I use it every day, it works without issues. I really fell in love with this device. Thick, dense and delicious hits every time, abv is always evenly cooked without stir.

JBone65

So to recap, out of the last 5 months since I paid for my shiny new hopper, I’ve only had one month to actually enjoy it. Im now 1 month into my warranty claim getting the same old run around.
Very sorry to hear this, seems like it's a recurring theme.

You might not wanna talk about it, but would you please tell us more about how and when it broke? Did it simply stop working between two hits, would the lights come on, did it charge normally, did it happen after cleaning, etc.?

Also, can you please tell us how you used the io when it was working; i.e. natively, with a glass carburetor, did you stir the load, etc.?

No way to fix yours but we might can learn something from your ordeal.

Kinick23

@Macicman agreed, I did raise it with HL and they said they’re working on finding o-rings that will make the fit secure. Can’t use it as is without putting tape on it which Is silly for a product sold direct from the manufacturer, they shouldn’t have allowed them to ship without solving for this. Email them and they will likely send you a new o-ring when they get themselves sorted

Vaporific

@Macicman agreed, I did raise it with HL and they said they’re working on finding o-rings that will make the fit secure. Can’t use it as is without putting tape on it which Is silly for a product sold direct from the manufacturer, they shouldn’t have allowed them to ship without solving for this. Email them and they will likely send you a new o-ring when they get themselves sorted
As I’ve recently learned from another vape I own, all orings are not created equal. There are variances, same with glass. Perhaps this is what the real issue is? You may need several orings to find the best fitting one. I don’t have this new HL drip tip and suspect this is the case depending on where HL is sourcing the orings from. :2c::peace:

warren0728

quoting my post from a few days ago ... these o-rings fit my drip tips and provide a snug fit with the performance frontend ...

so if anyone is interested ... i ordered some more o-rings to try on the drip tips to firm them up in the performance front end (i hear even grasshoppers cooling adapter is loose ... well i found a size that works ... 6mm id x 1.2mm thick ... so outside diameter is 8.4mm

here is a link to where i bought them ---> https://www.oringsandmore.com/viton-fkm-o-ring-6-x-1-2mm-minimum-10-pcs/

peace

The Xtar MC2 is probably, besides the grasshopper, the most important part of my portable kit. It keeps everything in motion and has been used thousands of times. At less than 10 USD* you won't find a better option, and it is as if it was designed for the GHBs, at first I was using a generic store brand charger and it seemed to destroy the cells prematurely with 1A charging. After that crap waste of resources had one channel fail I upgraded. The size, quality and fit and finish of the Xtar has been enjoyed just about daily since (until some disruption from mains power).

Okay, I have my Xtar MC2! I have popped both the batteries in and the led is green - does that indicate that they are charging?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
No way to fix yours but we might can learn something from your ordeal.
I think he's already making one suggestion as to lesson-learned!
I should have listened to all the hopper labs horror stories. Just never thought it would happen to me =/ Think twice before you order a hopper, don’t become another statistic like me.
This ride is not for everyone, that's for sure.
Have you asked for a loaner, while the grey one is in for repair? (did they have you send that one in yet?).
Not that I've ever heard of anyone getting a loaner BUT these color io's have been very problematic (talking delays, not function) and honestly, I don't recall anyone talking about asking for one, so, it might get an interesting response?

MoltenTiger

The link recently supplied by @warren0728 (posted here) is on point for this use case, Viton FKM, likely FDA approved, covers the right temp stability range and has a high density and correct size for that needed snug fit.

Okay, I have my Xtar MC2! I have popped both the batteries in and the led is green - does that indicate that they are charging?

Green LEDs are displayed when no batteries are in the slots otherwise they usually indicate a charged cell. But will also show if the charger contacts are shorted, the battery polarity is wrong, or when the cell is dead (ie. Not flat but EOL).

If the battery is charged then perhaps something is wrong with the hopper...

How many batteries do you have?

It seems really unlikely to have two cells die simultaneously and after almost no use, but green lights on the MC2 is an interesting observation.

What happens if you power cycle the charger when it is showing green lights with the batteries?
It should begin to charge the cells again and show red LEDs (indicating charging) if you unplug and replug the USB with the cells in circuit.
When charging previously charged or very nearly full cells, you can adjust the spring contact on the negative end to quickly reconnect the cell. If it's already powered up the charger will check this new connection and identify the voltage as basically done and indicate with a green LED showing for the slot giving it the slightest trickle charge.
If the battery is already connected when the charger is powered on it will go through an algorithm to charge it hence the red lights on working batteries that have already been charged, they're still getting trickle charged but with much more power. If a battery's nearly full after being on the charger for an hour or so, reconnecting it will likely also show the green LED and it should give good performance.

If the cells only ever display green lights no matter what you do, I think I have only seen this with dead batteries (which took at least several hundred charge cycles). I'll fish out a GHB1 to see what happens. Hard to say... these cells have been sitting for years and may still offer some limited usage. A GHB2 I found did show only the green LED for a while then it began working again and managed to power up my io without triggering low power flashes either.

Anyway that's how the LEDs go with the MC2. It is more likely the hopper that is playing up, but no white LED response at all is weird and leads me to think there is a mechanical fault with the back end. How does the dial move, is it smooth or is there any resistance/scraping when it is adjusted. What happens if you bridge the clicker to the dial with the front end?

_20210902_180314.JPG

Check for gunk on the battery connectors too, as that might explain the the MC2 observations and the hopper not getting any power.

Last edited:

slartibartfast

Really seems like customer service and operations are improving over at HL. Placed an order yesterday for the Labor Day special and got a shipment notification today. Hopefully these guys have turned over a new leaf and will be a good company moving forward.

Vaporific

Really seems like customer service and operations are improving over at HL. Placed an order yesterday for the Labor Day special and got a shipment notification today. Hopefully these guys have turned over a new leaf and will be a good company moving forward.
Possibly. Hopefully. My accessories order arrived within a week and I like their new email templates for orders and timing when things are shipped. However, quality is job one (to phrase an old Ford tag line) and they need to focus on that as well with new and RMA’d units. I can’t attest recently to either of those other than what I read herein about others’ experience. There are still issues out there, that’s for sure. I will however say, again, my IO which has a 1 year anniversary in a day or two continues to run flawlessly (discounting my recent self-inflicted frontend screen screw-up - one of my accessories ordered per above was a new native frontend which works well so far, BTW).

SO, kudos to HL for keep on keeping on. Hope things improve all round for everyone - us and them. Cheers. :peace:

EDIT: for contrast, here’s an email I got today from another vape manufacturer about an order I placed just a few days ago, overseas too (I’m in the U.S.):

hey [Vaporific],

unfortunately your order had a problem in final inspection and i will need to open it up to see whats up. it will take a bit longer for it to ship. sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for the patience.

+++
This underscores QUALITY and customer service which I appreciate. So much so I replied and thanked him for the quick and honest update and told him it will be in my hands when it’s ready. All good.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Well I wouldn't go that far yet, wait and see if you have issues, then need them resolved, the communication back and forth, I'm not complaining though it can take a bit of work to get good service when necessary, but so far they have come through for me (my issue is still to be resolved because I am choosing to wait until more blue bodies are in stock and that is a big delay lol) I'm glad they can ship with such quick turnaround for the basic hoppers at least and hopefully they will only continue to improve! still too soon to tell

Tweakz

I really hope that the cs level will improve and always stay normal, maybe then the reputation will improve over time, too. After all, when io works, it's just a brilliant device, imo. :2c:
Maybe it's still honeymoon, or maybe it will last for many long months of daily walks in thick and delicious clouds, as it was with my TM :rockon:

Top Bottom