Discontinued Hopper io

JBone65

HL could probably adapt their existing methodology to a larger desktop convection (corded) session vaporizer if they tried. You could load a gram and knock yourself out, literally.

seki

Found the io brass thread pics Max took:

I had sent Max that io for testing. His machinist never returned it. Now I wonder if the machinist fused the threads himself during a fit? Suppose we'll never know. Perhaps that brave io sacrificed his life for the advancement of vaping gadgetry

Seems our helpful FC veteran @shitsnacks fell victim to thread fusion on that same page 14 of the "thread"

@seki , if you ever get an io for adapter use, here's link to post I made with a supersized, massive, heavy 10A DC converter. The human sized 5A brick from Max won't power the io

Note: the "preview" windows of FC links above show wrong posts, but correct page. Wow, angry post too
I think we all owe you a debt of gratitude. Many thanks for "donating" your IO, I'm not sure that we'd have the adapter as it is today with near universal compatibility otherwise. I do have an IO to test, but unfortunately I'm in Canada and it's with a friend in the US. Hopefully soon.

Thanks also for doing the legwork figuring out the appropriate power brick for the IO. Placed an order for 2.

Well yeah, but my experience is it's a pretty poor actual portable vaporizer... The PA made my OG useful again!
I have to agree. For me, using the Hopper native is a no-go as I generally like to run mine between 4-5. For all intents and purposes, along with the Max Vapor adapter I pretty much consider mine a desktop vape. It never leaves the house.

HL could probably adapt their existing methodology to a larger desktop convection (corded) session vaporizer if they tried. You could load a gram and knock yourself out, literally.
I would love to see this as well. As many have said before, the heater technology seems to have a lot of potential and it feels like it's being limited by the form factor/batteries. Treating mine like a desktop is a pretty good approximation of one without all the bells and whistles. I'd even be happy if I got similar performance with something a little more convenient to clean.

MoltenTiger

I've been using my SS io this weekend away from home using three GHB3s, power bank and Xtar charger, paired with a small deppes darkness torus, BCG medium plate, and with a small glass dish and arizer stir tool to deal with the ABV. It's a nice change using the batteries, though I often just bring the mains adapter with me, untethered usage is a nice difference. It's easier to handle the pen, and it's simpler to empty and use in general without a cable hanging out the side.
Very glad to have wound up getting slotted adapters (the most important part of the MaxVapor kit) as swapping between mains and reassembling is a quick and snag free process.

I'm also happy with the performance of the GHB3s, they have been by far my least used batteries as they're only necessary on occasion. The travel pack combo I have allows for seamless, basically unlimited usage, even when sharing. The experience it all offers to me is flawless. I also heftily over consumed, because why not, it is like drinking beer from the tap except better in every way.

I actually asked about the 18650 sled when I placed the order for mine. I noticed it was in the pics, but someone also pointed out that it wasn't in the item description with the other parts listed in the kit. The response I got was that new, redesigned sleds were coming this September with improvements based on user feedback. I did ask if the older sleds were compatible, and they threw one in for free with my order:
hopper-adapter1.jpg

I can confirm this works great with an OG Hopper but I don't currently have an IO to test with. I'll probably pick up a newer sled depending on how it's been improved. This one feels pretty flimsy and I can see myself snapping it in half by accident one day
hopper-adapter2.jpg
I haven't used my battery sled since it overheated and destroyed my Ti io backend (the cause of my only real problem with the io)

I don't know why it happened but I do not trust this item at all.

Plus the benefit of using it over the default battery is limited by the hopper having a cable jutting out of it, and the performance and charge rate just aren't a worthy compromise.

One of the few times I used it, it burnt my hand and broke my unit.

Last edited:

ChooChooCharlie

Thanks, @seki , but real thanks go to Mad Max and his adapter. Glad he started selling again, he also makes a programmable enail controller. Watched Max on livestream doing dabs repetitively, and still answering questions with coherence

Can't forget the huge contribution by @MoltenTiger with his slot concept!! Great idea

When you get the huge 10A brick, remember to wait 5 seconds after plugging in. I was crestfallen the first time I tried it, "oh crap, it doesn't work," but I hadn't waited for the brick to warm up

vapviking

Old & In the Way
A curiosity;
Why is the OG site for Grasshoppers still up, and apparently running?
SS OG's for sale with 2-4 day ship time -- same price as an io?!?!?!
Color and HT TI OG's, "Returning Soon".

Who really thinks OG hoppers are coming back?!?!
How about pre-ordering a steel case? Sure! Hop on the 5 year merry-go-round. Pay and wait.
I've been able to put OG's, a charger and a case in my cart, and stopped just short of checking out.
At the last page before entering payment info, there is a check-box allowing the option to make a ($5 default) donation to the fire relief fund.

As one slogan used to ask, "Is this any way to run and airline?"
I truly hope my observations are not breaking the FC company bashing rule, I'm pointing out some really glaring oddities here.

JBone65

I ordered a battery a few weeks ago and received it in 7 days. The order status was never updated so it was a surprise when it arrived.

My io came with a GHB2 last August. There was a note that said some of the first GBH3s were incorrectly labeled as GHB2s, but that sounds like BS. I couldn't get more than 5 hits before it started blinking. It was still working when I retired it 2 days ago. I'm getting the sense that the GHB3 is stronger.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
the tracking hopper labs gave me, saying that it should update within 24 hours, well naturally it did not update, and it says the label itself was created on June 14th, so yeah it's still been sitting has not been scanned by the post office or anything, are they just buying more time?? I'm about ready to demand the refund this week lol

Well apparently I posted prematurely! Right around when I posted, seemingly right before, tracking shows USPS actually did receive the item! And so today it has departed, and supposed to arrive this week finally!! Coincidental, glad I decided to check again today lol fingers crossed on the QC

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I ordered a battery a few weeks ago and received it in 7 days. The order status was never updated so it was a surprise when it arrived.

My io came with a GHB2 last August. There was a note that said some of the first GBH3s were incorrectly labeled as GHB2s, but that sounds like BS.
Pretty typical of HL. One of my orders from 2 years ago still shows in progress (or whatever), which actually caused them to send me a duplicate item when I inquired about an update for something else. They often don’t know which end is up.

Thr GBH3s in GBH2s clothing if you will was mentioned herein a while back. There was one batch of batts that the manufacturer mislabeled according to HL. I may have a couple and one labeled “GBH3”; they all work about the same for me though I’ve been sold a few duds in earlier batches. Like the commercial, “just ok is not ok” when it comes to HL. :peace:

david8613

I was wondering are the io available to purchase now and are getting shipped right away or is there a long wait?

Last edited:

zeus420

Hey Guys! Is it able to get the Hopper IO anywhere in the EU? shipping and taxes from US are ridiculous :o
thanks for any advice :)

greez zeus

zeus420,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I was wondering are the io available to purchase now and are getting shipped right or is there a long wait?
Io is available, ss seem to ship a bit quicker (within a few days) than ti, and color might take a very long time.
Hey Guys! Is it able to get the Hopper IO anywhere in the EU? shipping and taxes from US are ridiculous :o
thanks for any advice :)

greez zeus
There is no ooutlet in the EU.
Many of us discourage long distance relationships with HL unless you have deep pockets and a strong stomach.

One member in EU was saying he had a few brand new, still in boxes.... does anyone recall who that is?

lisifi

Io is available, ss seem to ship a bit quicker (within a few days) than ti, and color might take a very long time.

There is no ooutlet in the EU.
Many of us discourage long distance relationships with HL unless you have deep pockets and a strong stomach.

One member in EU was saying he had a few brand new, still in boxes.... does anyone recall who that is?
Cliffhanger1

cliffhanger1

Cliffhanger1
yes that is true ;) but i sold 3 new Hopper io`s already and now i have one new and one which is used which i will keep for myself at now..
and i have 2 spare bodys additionally

for now i wont sell any other..if i will sell my other new i will tell here ;)

Last edited:
cliffhanger1,
  • Love
Reactions: vapviking

Shit Snacks

Well it finally arrived today, yeah the blue color seems a little different than last time, still nice and hard to capture in photo as it looks different in person depending on the light, though the mouthpiece could be a slightly different shade, but not a big deal... Forgot how lightweight titanium is!

PXL-20210713-183520150.jpg

Unfortunately there is a significant cosmetic ish defect inside, I already emailed them so we'll see what they say... I noticed two other things that are much more minor, but I mentioned them as well so they can improve their QC hopefully! I think they need to send me a new body... Also looks like one of the batteries got scratched, they were shipped loose in the box so the charger scratched one of them on the side... Not sure that is safe to use?? Nowhere near the positive connection at least

Anyway after iso scrubbing with organic cotton qtip and a few burn offs at max temp, everything seems to be working properly and it has neutralized... So far I only took one empty hit through a hook with my existing PFE that is only slightly dirty, at max temp I got a little cloud from it lol

So I will dive into proper herbal testing... Really is going to take getting used to the fact that it is ready to hit right away!

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Looks good shit snacks, let us know how it is? Are you planning on getting the matching performance front end?

Haha well who would expect it to actually be matching, if the mouthpiece doesn't even match :p seriously no though, I already have heat treated Ti PFE and I think it matches pretty well actually:

PXL-20210713-213111683.jpg

^grape stomper in flower mill with extra coarse plate (rogue wax works OGB scoop)

PXL-20210713-213742031.jpg

^through O'Connell inception J hook, took one hit at level 1, one hit at level 1.5, one hit at level 2, one hit at level 2.5, one hit at level 3, one hit at level 3.5, then since it tasted pretty toasty now (last hit should have been ~350F which seemed right) so I took one more whispy hit at a bit below level 4, like 3.75 to finish (around 365F)

PXL-20210713-214713258.jpg

^as you can see why it was starting to taste toasted, loaded pretty full, darker on the bottom, little stem in there at the top too, and yeah pretty fully low-temp extracted, fairly even too based on the load...

Yeah as I said the instant-on is a big adjustment, but also the nicest new thing by far is that the back end is 100% cool in use, I can clutch the pen fully to use my thumb on the clicker, far easier than any other hopper I've ever used! Sounds silly to say though lol

So yeah I feel very lucky that I can use it well for now, and I will of course report back how HL responds for the replacement body and battery, I won't post a photo yet of what I'm talking about, but it is unfortunate that QC did not catch it before shipping out... Hopefully they can continue to improve!

JBone65

It's nice to see a rare blue titanium io in action.

Everyone uses them differently. I enjoy the stealth aspect, and the portability of the basic pen. I carry my SS io in my pocket pretty often, even if just hanging around the house. The original mouthpiece is perfect for me. It only gets hot when on level 5 for a 20-second draw, during hit number 11, which I'm about to get....

I dread the day when it fails. Have thus far been unwilling to buy a second io.

Edit:. Just reloaded with a mix of 28% sativa and 26% indica. It has a wild flavor during the first hit on level 1, but I'm not sure indica is real weed...🤔

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
New website, new toys, more payment options. Gold hoppers, cooling tips, tins, paper rounds for concentrates, 220 USD for an SS spare back end with spare body...

Hopperio.com

An interesting development
The site is nice, sleek. Home#3.
I like the look of the drip tip and the flower tin and was going to order, but this site is not allowing me to log in to my account yet.
The logo-branded accessories will potentially be a big boost to their bottom line.
Leave it to me to site some oddity already...The steel case and the outboard battery charger are not on this site, nor is the bubbler.

I do like the option of buying a back end or body a la carte. I've got a box full of frontends and chargers around here somewhere.

I hope soon they will act on closing out Site#1 (https://www.grasshoppervape.com/); at least de-activate and put a redirect in place...

MoltenTiger

The site is nice, sleek. Home#3.
I like the look of the drip tip and the flower tin and was going to order, but this site is not allowing me to log in to my account yet.
The logo-branded accessories will potentially be a big boost to their bottom line.
Leave it to me to site some oddity already...The steel case and the outboard battery charger are not on this site, nor is the bubbler.

I do like the option of buying a back end or body a la carte. I've got a box full of frontends and chargers around here somewhere.

I hope soon they will act on closing out Site#1 (https://www.grasshoppervape.com/); at least de-activate and put a redirect in place...
They will probably keep the original site live for legacy owners to find help or parts. A redirect would work although, with this new dot com shopify site emerging, their overall website plans aren't clear. It is not a particularly polished aspect of the company known for bumpiness, and leaves room for confusion and raises some questions.
It is weird not being able to log in, I'm getting a credential error.

Hopefully they can smooth everything over one day.

If I didn't already have too many hoppers... a gold one would be cool, for the collection

Interesting that there's no pipeline products, seemingly (no surprise if these new items aren't ready to ship..), perhaps the things listed are in stock...

HL should offer codes for the paper tubes to the oil front end ... investors

fogbank

Sad day for the collection. Finally got an ac adapter for my hopper io and it all went down hill from there.

The adapter was threaded incorrectly and it crossthreaded the hopper body. So the adapter did not work and the actual heater would not go back on and got stuck. In removing it, the clip and collar broke off rendering the hopper useless.
@kadjo -
Sorry to read of your crossthreading. Thought maybe I got lucky with the io I used with the adapter. So, I just now checked 6 hoppers. 4 TI io's, 1 TI OG, 1SS OG. They all threaded on OK

The clicker backend threads very smoothly into the slotted adapter. But, not nearly as smooth screwing into the body. I've conditioned myself to be careful when starting the threading, aligning straight, feeling for misthreading
@kadjo - this sounds like the problems that I experienced with the original non-slotted adapters that I got from MaxVapor. I bought two AC adapter kits and neither of the rings would thread onto the back ends of four different Hoppers correctly. I ended up with one adapter basically fused to one of the back ends, and I also broke the clip off of that back end. The adapter still worked, so I used it that way a couple of times before I received the replacement slotted adapters. The replacement slotted adapters threaded onto the back ends of all of my Hoppers smoothly (OG and IO). They threaded onto the bodies of all of my Hoppers successfully, but some threaded more roughly and needed some additional force. The only remaining issue with the new slotted adapters was the location of the slot. On at least one of my Hopper bodies the slot was right behind the clip when fully threaded, making it impossible to get the cable past the clip. I also have one OG Hopper that will not work with the AC adapter at all, even with the more powerful brick that is needed for IO Hoppers.

Like @ChooChooCharlie I attach the adapters to the back ends very carefully, and I stop if I feel any resistance. It sucks to destroy a back end by forcing the adapter to screw on.

david8613

Haha well who would expect it to actually be matching, if the mouthpiece doesn't even match :p seriously no though, I already have heat treated Ti PFE and I think it matches pretty well actually:

PXL-20210713-213111683.jpg

^grape stomper in flower mill with extra coarse plate (rogue wax works OGB scoop)

PXL-20210713-213742031.jpg

^through O'Connell inception J hook, took one hit at level 1, one hit at level 1.5, one hit at level 2, one hit at level 2.5, one hit at level 3, one hit at level 3.5, then since it tasted pretty toasty now (last hit should have been ~350F which seemed right) so I took one more whispy hit at a bit below level 4, like 3.75 to finish (around 365F)

PXL-20210713-214713258.jpg

^as you can see why it was starting to taste toasted, loaded pretty full, darker on the bottom, little stem in there at the top too, and yeah pretty fully low-temp extracted, fairly even too based on the load...

Yeah as I said the instant-on is a big adjustment, but also the nicest new thing by far is that the back end is 100% cool in use, I can clutch the pen fully to use my thumb on the clicker, far easier than any other hopper I've ever used! Sounds silly to say though lol

So yeah I feel very lucky that I can use it well for now, and I will of course report back how HL responds for the replacement body and battery, I won't post a photo yet of what I'm talking about, but it is unfortunate that QC did not catch it before shipping out... Hopefully they can continue to improve!
That green looks absolutely awesome!

Top Bottom