Discontinued Hopper io

JBone65

If you increase the weight on the scales, cheap scales usually have a sweet spot in the 1+g range for accuracy, you might see a small difference in measurement of the plant material. Averaging 3 or more readings could hone it in further. Typically I'd expect about a 1/3rd reduction in mass after vaporisation.
Have now weighed 4 loads before and after. All four loads weighed the same before and after, 0.19g before and 0.11g after, a consistent 43% reduction (my benchmark). I have no way to confirm the scales accuracy, but this might make sense considering the way I abuse the device. Not many folks can claim to get 10-11 deep satisfying hits from each load. I start low and progress up the temperature scale, and get the io as hot as I can during the last couple of hits. I take my time and stoke it to some degree, drawing slowly then hard, then I continue drawing thru it to get as much as possible while cooling it down. Getting lots of vapor even on the last hit. Even after 11 hits, I still see green in the spent load so I think I can do better with a better grinder and/or slightly drier weed.

I'm curious to see if the percent reduction changes when I switch to a different strain, which might have a different moisture content.

If anyone has a decent scale, you might try weighing a couple of loads before and after. It only takes an extra minute.

Needless to say, I'm happy with the efficiency with the io. It tells me that a properly functioning io will pay for itself in just a few months. I'm averaging ~$100/year for grasshoppers since December 2016, including the original purchase price ($200), the io upgrade ($85), replacement parts and shipping charges. The io has performed admirably for almost 10 months, although I was shut down for 2-3 weeks with a back-end failure in November. I'm still using the battery that came with it. Anyone know how long the new batteries should last? I might should buy one just in HL has worse problems ahead.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Not many folks can claim to get 10-11 deep satisfying hits from each load.
Exactly how low are you starting and what are your temp step increments? I start @ 2.7 and step a few step to 3.5 to finish, usually 4 or maybe 5 draws per load. Natively too, with the standard mouthpiece, which I believe you are as well. Variances for me would be battery, amount (if I overpack a bit by accident, which has been known to occur on occasion, I could squeeze an extra draw), and moistness of flower. My TI IO is very consistent too, that we have in common. Nice clouds too most of the time. :peace:

JBone65

Exactly how low are you starting and what are your temp step increments?
I'll repeat it even though it will be boring to those that read it before. Maybe it will help.

I use the full temperature range beginning with the first mark, increasing on half mark increments, and finishing on the fifth mark as the 9th hit. There's still some left so I hit it full blast another couple of times after that, almost hot enough to burn me on the last one. I only crave a hit every hour or two so it last an entire day. It makes plenty of vapor and keeps me shit faced. Using only 0.19g, one load per day is a genuine benefit of the io.

I try not to cough but accidentally get hits strong enough to cough on occasion, by leaving the heat on too long, regardless of the temperature.

Here's my goofy theory. By starting low I tend to release only the lightest compounds. The temperature progression apparently releases slightly heavier compounds each hit. It wouldn't work going backwards on the temp scale.

Be aware that the first couple of hits, on the lowest two settings, make a unique flavor but a little less visible vapor. You start getting the full earthy vapor on about the second mark from my experience.

That raises a difficult question, why are most folks getting less hits?

The truth is, I THOUGHT seven hits was about right for the first three years I used GHs. Threw away a lot of good weed. One day I decided to find the limit. Apparently there's a lot more recoverable compounds in there than I thought.

Everyone should nut up and push the limit. Did you throw away big roaches? Did you dump out the bong when there was still a hit left? Turn that fucker up and hit it.

Last edited:

Vaporific

I'll repeat it even though it will be boring to those that read it before. Maybe it will help.

I use the full temperature range beginning with the first mark, increasing on half mark increments, and finishing on the fifth mark as the 9th hit. There's still some left so I hit it full blast another couple of times after that, almost hot enough to burn me on the last one. It makes vapor and keeps me shit faced. Using only 0.19g, one load per day is a genuine benefit.

I try not to cough but accidentally get hits strong enough to cough on occasion, by leaving the heat on too long, regardless of the temperature.

Here's my goofy theory. By starting low I tend to release only the lightest compounds. The temperature progression apparently releases slightly heavier compounds each hit. It wouldn't work going backwards on the temp scale.

Be aware that the first couple of hits, on the lowest two settings, make a unique flavor but a little less visible vapor. You start getting the full earthy vapor on about the second mark from my experience.

The truth is, I THOUGHT seven hits was about right for the first three years I used GHs. Threw away a lot of good weed. One day I decided to find the limit. Apparently there's a lot more recoverable compounds in there than I thought.
How long are your draws? Interesting routine!

AVB with my IO is consistent and fairly dark. I know it’s fairly well extracted with my range. I don’t like going up too high a temp natively. I’m not wasting anything though with it, however my OG was never consistent with extraction (better now after its lone RMA). Ah, one load per day for you. At least a few per day for me, and perhaps other vapes too. All good! :peace:

JBone65

I probably average around 15 seconds per draw. Usually try to stoke it with occasional hard pulls. I'm a leather lunger from way back, getting 11 good hits per load. The temp range set by GH is genius as it releases the full range of aromatic components.

Why set an arbitrary limit? I've never combusted in a GH to this day. Even 460° is considerably less than the fire of combustion, and hopefully reasonably safe.

I edited the post to mention that I normally buy weed on special labeled as 24-26% thc for around $125/oz. Differences in weed could make a difference.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Should not be difficult to understand that there's more than one way to enjoy vaping.
I don't always like the taste (and sometimes, not the effect) of canna that's been "extracted" to within an inch of it's life, so to speak. Some call it the burnt popcorn; I don't have a name for it.
Conservation of material is not necessarily the end goal for all. Some are on a budget, some are not, some are in-between. I consume at a rate far more in a day than you, using a few different methods over the course of a day.

The io is serving you very well. To go all day on a chamber is nice, and handy. Only a good convection vape will do that well.
Your method almost sounds like temp-stepping a conduction vape, like a Mighty or even a Pax type thing, except with those it's not so good to keep coming back and re-heating the same bowl of material.

JBone65

Something about the steady temperature progression seems to make it work for me, like surfing on a wave. I typically wait an hour or more, increase the temp one half mark, get an identical hit, wait another hour or so, increase the temp one half mark, get another identical hit, and repeat. Taste is normal.

Everybody favors the flavor from the first 2-3 hits, and many directly associate the flavor with thc content, but it's all good. I also suspect some folks outthink it and start with the temp too high, burning the load prematurely or generating too much vapor all at once. No doubt that will make your gonads tingle, but vape'd 25% weed is incredibly strong without overdoing it.

Only an efficient convection vaporizer with precise heat control could provide 11 cascading hits (from 0.19 g) an hour apart.

It's true that I'm always watching my consumption rate. The wife doesn't mess with it. I have a lot of grow equipment but currently paying hard earned cash for it and feel obligated to minimize the cost. I'm not trying to be hard headed, just amazed at the io's performance.:tup::leaf::myday:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
In the "+" column;
Warranty replacement body, rma initiated April 6, is in the mail on its way to me. Not too bad...

Earlier this year someone rhetorically asked, "Why do they sell a spare io body?" and I chimed in with something in agreement, like, "idk, why would someone buy one of those?"
A month or so later this body went belly-up and I decided to go this route. It got me hopping a bit sooner and now I've got a spare for the two io's we have in the house.
Go figgur.

Vaporific

PSA: payment issues have been corrected on the HL site according to the emails I received today. I thought the older email was changed but perhaps not. I’m a “Valued Customer” now which is about the same as calling me “Trev” which isn’t my name.

Hey @JBone65 - I tried an entire load with your method. Almost completed the 11 draws and fell short one. I might’ve been able to get an 11th but the vapor was greatly diminished for me. Not sure it will be a regular routine but it was cool to try. I’ll try again - why not? One load a day however does not do it for me. All good! :peace:

JBone65

I'm guessing that starting at the lowest level has a throttling effect, although I do draw on every hit until satisfied. Also, one expects more from the io, the last 4-5 hits are at temps higher than the original GH would reach. However I know the 11th one will do ya because every now and then it comes up as the first hit in the morning, with coffee, and I'm always glad I got it.

I only load the GH once a day on average, but lately I have developed a secondary marijuana problem. It started last summer, a nice lady sold me a glass one-hit pipe for $5. I can't resist keeping the pipe with a butane lighter and a small stash out in the garage. It kinda messes with your head to get a pipe blasts in between vape blasts.

JBone65,

AK-47

I got the email with "Dear Valued Customer," as well.

@Hopper team if you read this: Use mailchimp or some other tool and implement the first name of the customer. Not sure if "Dear Valued Customer," is the best approach for a vaporiser company ;)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I’m a “Valued Customer” now which is about the same as calling me “Trev” which isn’t my name.

I got the email with "Dear Valued Customer," as well.
Pretty minor points, guys. At least the email had my first name in the subject line, so they did individualize that.
They have resolved the payment issue, let everyone know, and apologized for inconvenience; I see all of those as positives.

Hoey420

Hi all, wanna hear my hopper io journey?
Here it goes :)
On 24th of November 2020 i paid for an io that was black Friday discount if i remember correctly, the Hopper io got send out the same day, i couldn't believe it and i received it on 24th December 2020 exactly 1 month to Australia.

And the hopper io is dead on the 6th of June :( , i emailed hopper labs on the same day and wait for a response from hopper labs til tonite i decided to reread the automated response email from hopper labs then send them another email trying to register the broken hopper io.

I checked my account tonite , the Hopper io is already registered on the 8th of june.
Bloody stoners mistake, should have checked the hopper labs account rather than checking spam emails everyday.

Hoey

Last edited:

JBone65

And the hopper io is dead on the 6th of June :( , i emailed hopper labs on the same day and wait for a response from hopper labs til tonite i decided to reread the automated response email from hopper labs then send them another email trying to register the broken hopper io.
Did you open a New Warranty Request? Log in, then click on Your Hopper. They won't respond to an email.

JBone65,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
They won't respond to an email.
I disagree with this.
While there is a hefty percentage of emails that HL doesn't resoond to, it's not all.
Of the many times I've emailed support, I'd say more than 80% have been answered, eventually.
Being sporadic about it has helped make for a bad rep for them.
When I've had an issue with a newly purchase Hopper, it has been resolved via support email (they've sent replacement), twice now.
But, yes, a warranty request is what is needed in this case.

Jason Mendoza

I would so like to order one these new io, but I can't I remember awhile back they let us order batteries, I never received them. I emailed them about it, hopper said they would send them to me asap, they never did. 😤
Is there a battery shortage? Your questions leads supports my curiosity about warranty. (below)
In the "+" column;
Warranty replacement body, rma initiated April 6, is in the mail on its way to me. Not too bad...

Earlier this year someone rhetorically asked, "Why do they sell a spare io body?" and I chimed in with something in agreement, like, "idk, why would someone buy one of those?"
A month or so later this body went belly-up and I decided to go this route. It got me hopping a bit sooner and now I've got a spare for the two io's we have in the house.
I still don’t know why. Isn’t the body where the parts that break Are located? Body means the biggest part of the device?
————
Does Hopper ever pop their head in here or anywhere? For 2nd hand sales, I wish Hopper and other manuf would allow customers to transfer their warranty, even for a fee.

Sunday on Reddit, a user was selling a 2yr old hopper for 200. Today, a titanium io for 280. I would never buy these for that much. Too much risk for the cost. I don’t know why anyone would pay that much knowing it can’t be warrantied.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Is there a battery shortage? Your questions leads supports my curiosity about warranty. (below)

I still don’t know why. Isn’t the body where the parts that break Are located? Body means the biggest part of the device?
————
Does Hopper ever pop their head in here or anywhere? For 2nd hand sales, I wish Hopper and other manuf would allow customers to transfer their warranty, even for a fee.

Sunday on Reddit, a user was selling a 2yr old hopper for 200. Today, a titanium io for 280. I would never buy these for that much. Too much risk for the cost. I don’t know why anyone would pay that much knowing it can’t be warrantied.
Last known battery shortage was 2019-20.

Body parts and back end parts can both fail. They don't sell a "spare back end" afaik.

@Hopper Labs was a presence here for a limited time. In hindsight, it seems it was an attempt to rebuild brand-name and trust in the company. It became the voice of the introduction of the io. (We know of really zero other 'advertising', which is odd in itself, no?) Sometime around the io's release, that member stopped posting.

In the past, HL has allowed the transfer of warranty to a new owner, for a fee (I think it was $40 or $45. Idk if this is still an option. I think the wording of the warranty has always said it's good for the original purchaser... :shrug:

Vaporific

@Hopper Labs was a presence here for a limited time. In hindsight, it seems it was an attempt to rebuild brand-name and trust in the company. It became the voice of the introduction of the io
I completely concur. With the IO rollout they poked their head herein and then another member tried to be the mouthpiece for them handling certain requests. With the onset of the pandemic and historical HL issues centering on some initial QC issues and parts/orders delays they ceased posting. Haven’t heard a peep from them here in a long while. I’m not surprised.

My IO (TI) continues to run flawlessly for almost 10 months and use it almost daily. I’ll leave it at that, on a more positive note. Happy Humpday. :peace:

warren0728

i want to try a drip tip on my performance front ends ... those of you who have done this, where is a good place to pick up drip tips ... preferably shipped from the us and not from china ... thanks

Hoey420

Yep, hopper labs answered any of my emails even i clicked send a couple of times bcos if hopperheaded.

I've got to send the hopper io back for warranty.

I cant stand those smelly back up vaporizers a round me :(

Attachments

• 20210605_103455.jpg
    20210605_103455.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

slozukimc

Yep, hopper labs answered any of my emails even i clicked send a couple of times bcos if hopperheaded.

I cant stand those smelly back up vaporizers a round me :(
If it would help ease your pain you could send that Ti Woody to me. 😉😂

slozukimc,
Reactions: Vaporific

JBone65

My IO's been working fine for 10 months, except for 3 weeks waiting on a replacement back end. Since 2016 I've been shut down for 3-4 warranty repairs and several more months waiting on a battery. One develops a beautiful relationship with the amazing GH, then it breaks and you're stuck making a pipe out of a cardboard toilet paper tube.:uhoh:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I got an rma body back yesterday. Did a quick burnoff (the usual "new io" smell that takes a little while to goaway.
It is a used-looking body, one or two scratches and a couple of burnishes or burn marks. I would not mind these at all, if the thing worked okay.
Proceeded to combust on the first draw (on setting 4, my usual). I put it away and will try again later
i want to try a drip tip on my performance front ends ... those of you who have done this, where is a good place to pick up drip tips ... preferably shipped from the us and not from china ... thanks
Here's one we use. It's surprising that such a small piece can make a big difference.
I had been looking for wooden tips but did not see them easily available (in US).
If anyone has US source for those, let us know...
My IO's been working fine for 10 months, except for 3 weeks waiting on a replacement back end. Since 2016 I've been shut down for 3-4 warranty repairs and several more months waiting on a battery. One develops a beautiful relationship with the amazing GH, then it breaks and you're stuck making a pipe out of a cardboard toilet paper tube.:uhoh:
It is a bumpy road, I've been on it for about same length of time (with my partner). There have been well over 20 warranty requests opened and shockingly, they've all been processed eventually.

I guess your IO working for 10 months would be the equivalent of mine lasting about 1 or 2 months, if you do 1 chamber per day and I do, oh, 'more than' 10 (that's a conservative estimate).
My backups would almost never involve combustion; call me a vape snob, but I can no longer stand the flavor of smoldered weed.
Instead, 1. Multiple hoppers!, 2. Multiple other vapes!, 3. If it were only one backup and I were on a tight budget, it might be a VLeaf Go. Really inexpensive and does well to imitate the Hopper experience.

JBone65

I have a couple of back up vaporizers. The Davinci IQ seems weak and frustrating to me, would rather use a conventional pipe or roll joints. My old desktop unit works fine but it stinks a lot, is difficult to conceal, and it isn't as efficient as the GH. Several folks have recommended the TinyMight. I will try one if it comes down to it but currently hanging in there with my trusty stainless steel "appliance". I'm only cooking one load per day, but that's usually 11 or 12 hard hits per day (plus 3-4 regular pipe blasts).

Proceeded to combust on the first draw (on setting 4, my usual). I put it away and will try again later
I can't understand how a new IO could combust so easily, when they do not combust for most folks. How could it get past GH's QA/QC process when new, and how could it get by QA/QC again after such a specific warranty repair?

Did HL say anything about what they did to repair it? Are you using normal weed, is it bone dry or something?

Have you packed weed into the chamber? If you holdup the body to the light and rotate it, can you see daylight peeking thru the little intake holes? Does it flow freely when you draw on it (this is critical)? They can potentially develop a restriction at the very tip (from resin buildup) and from a buildup of material inside the heating element, behind the intake screen. I'm wondering if there could be a rational explanation other than a manufacturing defect, maybe something is getting jammed in around the heating elements.

Anyone else combusting?

Top Bottom