Discontinued Hopper io

MoltenTiger

View attachment 5947

My photo didn't load. Impressive spectrum, even and powerful, no stirring, no fuss, enormous clouds, outrageous efficacy
It's hard to emphasise how good a working hopper is, this picture represents my vaporfection. Whilst test driving all the temp settings, I was reminded of the videos I saw before I made a pre-order purchase in 2015, and it's kind of weird to think that only intermittently from then until now, I have had the ability to produce this picture. I've been vaping that whole time just not this well. Overall the GH bandwagon has been super worthwhile, and easy to remember why when this current unit is 5 🌟

_20210218_052208.JPG

Those piles were from a single toke about 30s a piece. Each and every one whitewalled my beaker, properly, as if smoke, the kind of sight that would get the immediate release of the trigger with a manual vape, this hopper automatically feathers the throttle with precision and the cloud density is unreal.

My SS zen pen can dial in to produce a consistent ABV colour, I can simply use that photo as a temp chart to select the desired level. 3.8 looks pretty good (tastes it too), I float between that and 4.8 but the lower settings produce almost just as much cloudage, it's pretty crazy, click on, toke, few seconds later it's just like lighting up a bowl. Such massive rips, the kind of hits you feel before you're finished. The hopper is too good.

Finished work today with a couple hoppers in my car :)

_20210218_205222.JPG

JoeKickass

Since receiving my AC adapter from Max Vapor Nail, my Hopper IO has officially become my at-home vape

I won't going into details about how many emails and how long it took to actually get MVN to ship the thing, but the performance with the AC adapter basically makes going back to using the batteries impossible...

I ordered 4 new GHB3's with my IO and while they are better than the previous batteries, they are only about 60-70% as good as the MVN adapter. Even the very first hit from a fully charged battery just can't compare to a real power supply

The fit and finish of the adapter hardware is slightly rough, and the cord is pinched under the pocket clip when fully tightened, but everything seems to be holding up just fine after 2 months of daily use now. If you can find one available, jump on it!

What's ironic is the adapter power supply is only rated for 60W, and yet it performs significantly better on my 70W Ti IO than the batteries that ship with the unit! But the max power rating is a misleading spec for a device using a PWM regulated heater. Even when drawing at full speed you're never actually using full power, you can hear the heater clicking on and off. I used a Kill-A-Watt and max power during heavy draw is only ~47W, you only see 60W very briefly at first turn on from cold. Since the performance is so much better on the adapter, it seems the stock batteries aren't able to keep up with even 47W of power draw.

My TinyMight is now my dedicated travel vape, and it's compactness and larger battery excel in that use case.

Grasshopper/IO Team if you are listening:
  1. Produce and sell a factory AC adapter kit! Immediately!
  2. See number 1
  3. Design a portable vape with a proper 18650 battery, your heater tech is great! Your batteries have been holding you back for too long, cut your losses and move on

20210221-091215.jpg

20210221-095212.jpg

MonkeyTime

Everyone knows that the Hopper IO is a dopegun.
Apparently for him only when aided by an after market, not readily available accessory.

By the way @JoeKickass , I've yet to find a 18650 battery that with the sled works like the line voltage supply. They work, but it's not the same, and I agree with you.....once you've felt it's full ability without being held back by it's battery, you can't go back!

Trace

Since receiving my AC adapter from Max Vapor Nail, my Hopper IO has officially become my at-home vape

I won't going into details about how many emails and how long it took to actually get MVN to ship the thing, but the performance with the AC adapter basically makes going back to using the batteries impossible...

I ordered 4 new GHB3's with my IO and while they are better than the previous batteries, they are only about 60-70% as good as the MVN adapter. Even the very first hit from a fully charged battery just can't compare to a real power supply

The fit and finish of the adapter hardware is slightly rough, and the cord is pinched under the pocket clip when fully tightened, but everything seems to be holding up just fine after 2 months of daily use now. If you can find one available, jump on it!

What's ironic is the adapter power supply is only rated for 60W, and yet it performs significantly better on my 70W Ti IO than the batteries that ship with the unit! But the max power rating is a misleading spec for a device using a PWM regulated heater. Even when drawing at full speed you're never actually using full power, you can hear the heater clicking on and off. I used a Kill-A-Watt and max power during heavy draw is only ~47W, you only see 60W very briefly at first turn on from cold. Since the performance is so much better on the adapter, it seems the stock batteries aren't able to keep up with even 47W of power draw.

My TinyMight is now my dedicated travel vape, and it's compactness and larger battery excel in that use case.

Grasshopper/IO Team if you are listening:
  1. Produce and sell a factory AC adapter kit! Immediately!
  2. See number 1
  3. Design a portable vape with a proper 18650 battery, your heater tech is great! Your batteries have been holding you back for too long, cut your losses and move on

20210221-091215.jpg

20210221-095212.jpg
Oh wow I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately it said they were sold out.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
And not producing any more as far as I know; this is a collector's item :)
It’s a great idea for home use but it negates the portability of the Hopper/IO. If you designate your Hopper/IO strictly for home use (and there’s nothing wrong with that), it’s a good idea. If you use it on-the-go being tethered is limiting unless you have an available power source. Using my mag charger (first gen, yep) in my car works for me when I need to top off the battery. The one that came with my IO is used in my house, occasionally. I mostly charge my batts externally. :peace:

JCat

Accessory Maker
It’s a great idea for home use but it negates the portability of the Hopper/IO. If you designate your Hopper/IO strictly for home use (and there’s nothing wrong with that), it’s a good idea. If you use it on-the-go being tethered is limiting unless you have an available power source. Using my mag charger (first gen, yep) in my car works for me when I need to top off the battery. The one that came with my IO is used in my house, occasionally. I mostly charge my batts externally. :peace:
I agree ... I hardly use my power adapter, however, glad to have it in case there are ever battery supply issues again. I've found the newest GHB3 and (mislabelled GHB3s) perform amazingly well, and seem to last well also, so I haven't had the need for the adapter.

JoeKickass

I understand my use case is different than the manufacturer intended, however it's now the only situation where I would consider using the Grasshopper, and I strongly urge the maker to sell AC adapters. The tiny custom batteries are just not good enough to compete in 2021.

A portable vape needs a reliable power source, and with the Grasshopper effectively requiring spare batteries or to be kept near a charger it's not truly portable, at least not compared to something with the battery life and performance of the TinyMight. Progress marches on, and if you aren't always improving it's easy to get left behind. IMO a factory AC adapter would really breathe some life into this product, but what do I know, all you can do is wait and see what the future holds!

JoeKickass,
Reactions: Trace

Jah75

I understand my use case is different than the manufacturer intended, however it's now the only situation where I would consider using the Grasshopper, and I strongly urge the maker to sell AC adapters. The tiny custom batteries are just not good enough to compete in 2021.

A portable vape needs a reliable power source, and with the Grasshopper effectively requiring spare batteries or to be kept near a charger it's not truly portable, at least not compared to something with the battery life and performance of the TinyMight. Progress marches on, and if you aren't always improving it's easy to get left behind. IMO a factory AC adapter would really breathe some life into this product, but what do I know, all you can do is wait and see what the future holds!
I get you, but cant the same thing be said for any battery powered vape? At least these are removable and replaceble when they are depleted - I daily a FW7 or a TM and always have to be sure to carry extra 18650's

having said that: I use my hopper exclusively at home and would love a mains adapter

Trace

I get you, but cant the same thing be said for any battery powered vape? At least these are removable and replaceble when they are depleted - I daily a FW7 or a TM and always have to be sure to carry extra 18650's

having said that: I use my hopper exclusively at home and would love a mains adapter
Yeah same here, I'm mostly going to use mine at home and would prefer the reliability. The batteries would be a nice option for potable though, I'd use them every now and then to maintain the charge.

Also just got my hopper finally after a week of delay at the post office, probably due to the weather we've been having lately.

Upon hitting it whether it's on setting 2 and 4, I'm just barely getting visible vapor let alone anything close to clouds. Is there a trick to packing the chamber or something that I'm not doing correctly?

Vaporific

Also just got my hopper finally after a week of delay at the post office, probably due to the weather we've been having lately.

Upon hitting it whether it's on setting 2 and 4, I'm just barely getting visible vapor let alone anything close to clouds. Is there a trick to packing the chamber or something that I'm not doing correctly?
Did you thoroughly clean it including all the threads and battery contact points? Try a different fully charged battery. Aside from a thorough cleaning when I got my TI IO in September it has worked flawlessly - and much improved over my OG Hopper. Good luck. :peace:

zatonic

No, you'll need to request another body. Just mention that it's not heating up much and producing very little vapor. They were very good about just sending one right out in the mail. You wont receive tracking and they wont provide it but it will show up within a week in the states. I just received my third one since the New Years sale and it finally hits like a champ. The problematic version you have works best with super fine grind packed but not tight. The new one i just received will vape any amount, any pack. Too packed will result in black charred herb near the chamber.

Also, found a nice little mod for the PFE. The whip adapter / mouth piece from the spare parts of an Arizer extreme Q seem to fit nice and snug creating a seal. It can wiggle out with some force but it doesn't fall out at all.

cliffhanger1

If you can't get it to work properly, remove the screen in the herb chamber with precision tweezers and check whether the screen underneath is clean and free from sweat stains

cliffhanger1,
Reactions: Vitolo

Trace

Did you thoroughly clean it including all the threads and battery contact points? Try a different fully charged battery. Aside from a thorough cleaning when I got my TI IO in September it has worked flawlessly - and much improved over my OG Hopper. Good luck. :peace:
I didn't think of cleaning the contacts since it was a new unit, but I will give them a swab once it's done charging. I did however get a second battery and used that subsequently after the first one had near depleted. Same results though, the batteries seemed fine. Thank you very much for the info. From what I'm experiencing (haven't owned an OG but through my friend's) this definitely does seem like an improvement. :)

No, you'll need to request another body. Just mention that it's not heating up much and producing very little vapor. They were very good about just sending one right out in the mail. You wont receive tracking and they wont provide it but it will show up within a week in the states. I just received my third one since the New Years sale and it finally hits like a champ. The problematic version you have works best with super fine grind packed but not tight. The new one i just received will vape any amount, any pack. Too packed will result in black charred herb near the chamber.

Also, found a nice little mod for the PFE. The whip adapter / mouth piece from the spare parts of an Arizer extreme Q seem to fit nice and snug creating a seal. It can wiggle out with some force but it doesn't fall out at all.
Nice thank you a ton for the info. I'm going to contact them about that now, that definitely seems like what's going on because everything else seems fine with it and it's heating up just fine.

And that is a cool little hack right there haha. I ended up getting the hubble bubble from divine tribe off the reviews here. Definitely seems like a good piece but I can't wait to tell with the hopper at its peak potential. :)

If you can't get it to work properly, remove the screen in the herb chamber with precision tweezers and check whether the screen underneath is clean and free from sweat stains
Forgive me for my ignorance, but would that void the warranty in any way? I'd love to examine mine as I've been seeing the pictures in here but I'd be intimidated to even attempt cause of those concerns.

And just to clarify, when you say sweat stains you mean the pictures that have been floating around these last few pages correct?

cliffhanger1

I didn't think of cleaning the contacts since it was a new unit, but I will give them a swab once it's done charging. I did however get a second battery and used that subsequently after the first one had near depleted. Same results though, the batteries seemed fine. Thank you very much for the info. From what I'm experiencing (haven't owned an OG but through my friend's) this definitely does seem like an improvement. :)

Nice thank you a ton for the info. I'm going to contact them about that now, that definitely seems like what's going on because everything else seems fine with it and it's heating up just fine.

And that is a cool little hack right there haha. I ended up getting the hubble bubble from divine tribe off the reviews here. Definitely seems like a good piece but I can't wait to tell with the hopper at its peak potential. :)

Forgive me for my ignorance, but would that void the warranty in any way? I'd love to examine mine as I've been seeing the pictures in here but I'd be intimidated to even attempt cause of those concerns.

And just to clarify, when you say sweat stains you mean the pictures that have been floating around these last few pages correct?
hey no problem ! ;) yes it is that what you can see on the last pages

yes i read that that void the warranty in the theoretic
but i never had any problems solving it and the screen could be reinserted without any problems without leaving a trace that you can see that it was built out.

Trace

I just contacted hopper about the new body, hopefully I get contacted back sooner than later.

I was also wondering, has anyone got any of the accessories successfully such as their bubbler, steel case and battery charger?

I saw on both the steel case and the charger that they would begin shipping sometime in 2020 and limited to only 1000 units. It's still available to put in the cart on the site but I wanna make sure before I attempt that.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I just contacted hopper about the new body, hopefully I get contacted back sooner than later.

I was also wondering, has anyone got any of the accessories successfully such as their bubbler, steel case and battery charger?

I saw on both the steel case and the charger that they would begin shipping sometime in 2020 and limited to only 1000 units. It's still available to put in the cart on the site but I wanna make sure before I attempt that.
There were bubblers, but I don't know about availability currently.
Steel cases have never been realized or fulfilled in like, 5 years. No charger orders fulfilled either, those have been at least a couple years.

Trace

There were bubblers, but I don't know about availability currently.
Steel cases have never been realized or fulfilled in like, 5 years. No charger orders fulfilled either, those have been at least a couple years.
That's unfortunate, the case didn't even look realized from the pics, but the battery charger I was actually considering.

Hopefully there's another AC option in the future.

Trace

@Trace, I gave a look and I don't see any indication that bubblers are not shipping.

Has anyone purchased a bubbler recently?
I was referring to the battery and case in regards to the limitations, but was basically asking if anyone purchased any of the three at all recently.

Trace,
Reactions: Vitolo

Jah75

I charge my hopper batteries in my external charger. The only issue is that it is designed for 18/21XXX and the GHB2 and 3's are aggravating to get suspended properly on the right part of the contact so that it charges. Anyone know if there are charger "sleeves" available anywhere? (to put the hopper battery in so that it is the same width as an 18650 for easy/quick charging) - kind of like the sleeves that are made so 18650 batts will fit in 21650 devices

Vaporific

I charge my hopper batteries in my external charger. The only issue is that it is designed for 18/21XXX and the GHB2 and 3's are aggravating to get suspended properly on the right part of the contact so that it charges. Anyone know if there are charger "sleeves" available anywhere? (to put the hopper battery in so that it is the same width as an 18650 for easy/quick charging) - kind of like the sleeves that are made so 18650 batts will fit in 21650 devices
My original Nitecores - I2 and D4 or the other way around I never remember - always fit the Hopper batts without the need for a sleeve. They also hold and charge 18650s (for my Tinymight). The 2 slot charger broke (my bad) and my new Nitecore (forget the model number) suspends the Hopper batts like you describe but they do charge without issue (except needing to line up the contacts as you describe). My new Nitecore also charges 18650s otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it. I don’t use a sleeve though and wing it with the HL batts. Oddly, I’ve been using the mag chargers (1st gen with the OG Hopper and latest with the IO) a bit more these days instead of putting them in a charger. I rotate through 5-6 relatively new batts too. :peace:

Mr. Me2

I think they’re at https://delta3dstudios.com/

Top Bottom