Discontinued Hopper io

stuartmc

A tracking number was just added to my "view order" page, at the bottom of the shipping details section, for the SS I ordered in late March. The status still states "in progress" and I have not received an email. Im not disappointed, just sharing facts.

Does anyone have a guess about what the gunk in the front end might be? Maybe grease from machining?

Guest399

what about the Battery. is it better than these which HL shipped out weeks ago where the dudes which not wanted to wait of their hopper io and the next batch of batteries ?

Guest399,

BackInTown

So, I just opened mine and upon inspection no gunk on inside! I just tested it on the lowest temp and wow this thing smacks! Gets pretty hot after a few decent rios but It fits perfect to my bong luckily. Happy to answer any questions or upload any pics. Will give more updates as I test more

Reefer Fiend

Lovin' Life
I am pleased to report that my new pre-ordered Ti IO was delivered yesterday. I topped off the battery charge, cleaned it up, and put it to use through one session. I must say, I am impressed with how well the IO extracts vapor. It seems more intense than what I have noted with my OG. I also am in the "honeymoon" stage, so I really want it to be great. But from the first use I can say I like how it performs, and it feels like a 2.0 improvement over the OG.

Now, as far as things that weren't as I had expected, there are a few small items, but no deal killers. First, I also experienced the brownish residue, but that easily cleaned up and did not affect taste. Second, the Ti front end finish did not exactly match the Ti body, it's slightly duller. This turned out to be true of the PFE I ordered as well. Third, the box did not include the sticker with the ID code needed to register the IO. So, I sent HL a message requesting that they register the IO for me on their end. Last, the Ti PFE I received was broken, in that the screen was bent and had fallen out. I will have to return the PFE for an exchange. Thankfully, I already have a PFE I bought for my OG, and that perfectly fits as a short-term alternate solution. The battery in the IO is a GHB2.

The real key for me accepting the IO will be reliability. Everything noted above is just a nit, but still noteworthy. I just need the IO to consistently perform and be available for use when needed. To that end, I will update the forum again in a few weeks, after the IO has undergone a more extended burn-in.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
what about the Battery. is it better than these which HL shipped out weeks ago where the dudes which not wanted to wait of their hopper io and the next batch of batteries ?
We've been told that these are a new batch of batteries shipping in the box with the io.
The ones they were selling to some over the past 5 months - and to those who took early io for testing - were those older ones, likely well over a year old, but still unused.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
It’s disappointing to read these reports of gunk and brown residue. I didn’t have any of that and it would gross me out. My mouthpiece looked clean but when I wiped out the inside with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol the q-tip turned a little gray. It was very light and didn’t concern me, I’ve seen much worse when cleaning other vaporizers for the first time.

My box is also missing the sticker with the registration code. I figured it was because it’s an early unit, I guess not since it doesn’t seem like anyone has the sticker. I opted to have mine sent without a battery because I still had some that were still in decent shape.

BackInTown

It’s disappointing to read these reports of gunk and brown residue. I didn’t have any of that and it would gross me out. My mouthpiece looked clean but when I wiped out the inside with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol the q-tip turned a little gray. It was very light and didn’t concern me, I’ve seen much worse when cleaning other vaporizers for the first time.

My box is also missing the sticker with the registration code. I figured it was because it’s an early unit, I guess not since it doesn’t seem like anyone has the sticker. I opted to have mine sent without a battery because I still had some that were still in decent shape.
Oof mine was clean also so I didn’t even bother wiping it lol. But my box also didn’t have a sticker I think they were rushing to send these out lol

Guest399

now all stickers with the registration code is missing.
somehow fits to Hopper Labs. I am exited what is going to happen next.
It is also my first vape from Hopper Labs and I don't get very far with 1 battery. I am going to be surprised if HL succeeds that I and others will get more batteries this year. You can't vape satisfactorily with one. But since HL doesn't do anything normally (others can do it too), I don't have too many expectations. otherwise I will sell it at the end of the year when there are no more batteries available. in that sense .. lol

Guest399,

BackInTown

now all stickers with the registration code is missing.
somehow fits to Hopper Labs. I am exited what is going to happen next.
It is also my first vape from Hopper Labs and I don't get very far with 1 battery. I am going to be surprised if HL succeeds that I and others will get more batteries this year. You can't vape satisfactorily with one. But since HL doesn't do anything normally (others can do it too), I don't have too many expectations. otherwise I will sell it at the end of the year when there are no more batteries available. in that sense .. lol
I think this could be the start of them getting their shit together considering they are waiting on another batch of batteries (new batch after this one just used to fill our orders rn)

BackInTown,

Guest399

I think this could be the start of them getting their shit together considering they are waiting on another batch of batteries (new batch after this one just used to fill our orders rn)

they have to know for yourself what they are doing. I would only have brought a new vape onto the market if I had enough batteries and other accesoires for the customers. So it's not half and nothing. I would not have released the new product until November, for example. now try to hold me back my io is still on the way

So regardless of the fact that they have now forgotten the sticker with the serial number. for example the Tinymight Dude is very new on the market, a small company but he makes very good working for us Vape enthusiasts

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Is there a serial number engraved on the IO like the legacy Hopper? Not really sure what the absence of a sticker, presumably with a serial number, means if it’s engraved on the unit. Unless of course no serial number altogether suggests no more lifetime warranty but I think HL is doing that too with the IO. HL continues to confound... :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@sativs,
Maybe you are not familiar with the history of, say, the past year or so? The io had been planned for release late last year but multiple battery supply snafu's conspired to get them to this point. This company is financially strapped; they were even asking customers for flat-out charitable donations for a while. Expectations of typical behavior from this company should be very low. They had to start selling them before batteries were produced because they needed cash.

Is there a serial number engraved on the IO like the legacy Hopper? Not really sure what the absence of a sticker, presumably with a serial number, means if it’s engraved on the unit. Unless of course no serial number altogether suggests no more lifetime warranty but I think HL is doing that too with the IO. HL continues to confound... :peace:
The process has previously involved registration by entering the engraved s/n from the back end AND the code from the sticker on the box (with Grasshopper sometimes you wouldn't notice it because it was on the bottom of the inner box). Maybe registration will only require the engraved code going forward?

Vaporific

The process has previously involved registration by entering the engraved s/n from the back end AND the code from the sticker on the box (with Grasshopper sometimes you wouldn't notice it because it was on the bottom of the inner box). Maybe registration will only require the engraved code going forward?
I don’t recall a registration number on the bottom of my Hopper box or sending a sticker back to HL. I’ll have to dig the box out from the top of my closet. Maybe I registered it online but I don’t recall. I ordered mine in April ‘15 & got it July ‘16 (GT3xxx). Nevertheless it’s indeed curious things are already missing or unexplained by HL. And so it goes...

[the devil in me really wants an IO but the battery shelf life let alone their availability tell me it would be a bad idea right now] :peace:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
My Grasshopper boxes definitely had a code. It is separate from the serial number, you needed both to register the Grasshopper for warranty service. The Hopper io still has a serial number engraved on the backend of the device. The only difference is that it’s labeled GS/GTXXXXXX for the Grasshopper SS/Ti vs. HS/HTXXXXXX for the Hopper io SS/Ti.

Last edited:

Tiny88

Deluxe420

I am not sure about them "getting their shit together" - sent my unit back in Nov 2019. Sent an email to them on April 22 ... and have gotten NO response. Unless you have a back up vape, you may have your hopper in RMA heaven for a while.

Their customer service has little to be desired. I would not consider buying another vape from them until they get it straight with the OG - and treat the people that have been with them from the beginning with a little more respect. IMO

Vaporific

I don’t recall a registration number on the bottom of my Hopper box or sending a sticker back to HL. I’ll have to dig the box out from the top of my closet. Maybe I registered it online but I don’t recall. I ordered mine in April ‘15 & got it July ‘16 (GT3xxx).
:peace:

Vaporific,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I don’t recall a registration number on the bottom of my Hopper box or sending a sticker back to HL. I’ll have to dig the box out from the top of my closet. Maybe I registered it online but I don’t recall. I ordered mine in April ‘15 & got it July ‘16 (GT3xxx).
:peace:
Who said anything about sending a sticker back to HL? To register, one had to enter the two "numbers" at the website. The part I may be mistaken about is whether the label is on the outer box or the inner box, but I have done it four times.

The part that is currently unclear, and that some of us were actually discussing, is whether this is the procedure for the new hopper io, which is the product this thread is about. There doesn't seem to be a label on the box with some (or all?) of them.

SmokeyTheBeard

I am not sure about them "getting their shit together" - sent my unit back in Nov 2019. Sent an email to them on April 22 ... and have gotten NO response. Unless you have a back up vape, you may have your hopper in RMA heaven for a while.

Their customer service has little to be desired. I would not consider buying another vape from them until they get it straight with the OG - and treat the people that have been with them from the beginning with a little more respect. IMO

I heard back about my unit that has been in for service since November 2019 a few days ago after following up with them for over a month to try and get an update. They are saying from now it will be at least another 120 days. In February, they said it would be 60 to 90 days. So, even if I were to get it back in 120 days (they have never been accurate in the timelines they give ), they would have had the unit for an entire year just to fix it. I have had to send the unit in multiple times to be fixed and this will be the longest RMA yet, so it seems like they may actually be getting slower.

Baron23

A few months ago I received an og (body) back from long warranty and it had gray gunk in both battery and chamber compartments; I swabbed it with iso until no more gray on q-tips but the taste and smell and some smoke (I never filled it) were still awful, so they sent a replacement. That one had gray gunk inside but after a lot of cleaning and bad smelling/tasting burn-offs it finally started tasting okay, though I didn't feel great about it and was not using it much. A month later the entire heater assembly came unscrewed and a shard of metal fell out. My warranty had been closed so I had to open a new one. HL has not responded, now it's been 2 more months. This og has been out of working order since rma'd in Nov. 2018.

It's really a let-down to hear about bad crap in a brand new device. I can not think of any valid excuse for the crap these two folks (@vapeverythingnyc and @sammac) have found in their brand new hopper io's. These are potential health issues, not just fledgling start-up mis-steps.

They really are incredible. If we tried really hard, I'm not sure we could come up with as much flaky shit as these guys seem to generate unconsciously

And WTF is this residue people are finding??? Come on, Hopper...FFS.

tenor.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist :D:lol:. Here's hoping (or hopping) though! 🤞

On_Weed

Just got my hopper io in the mail and it is a BEAST!

I was an OG grasshopper backer, way back in the day, and have tried various different versions of the grasshopper over the years and have to say I'm impressed with the hopper io. I've only used it twice, once on temp tick 1 for one rip (which white walled my 1.5' bong), then hit it again on temp two and then three. I fee like it extracted most of the vapor on temp 1 on my first rip but still got more out of 2 and 3.

My second bowl, I figure I'd scorch the earth and hit it at temp 5 from the start and roast it all in one go (my usual method). It def got me thunder baked, more so than I'd been in a very long time, using the same herb. Also, the draw resistance is way, way less, granted I'm using PFE, but have been since it came out and it is very noticeable how much less draw resistance there is over the OG.

Let me know if anyone has any specific question. I'll do my best to test / and report back.

vapemon

Just got my hopper io in the mail and it is a BEAST!

I was an OG grasshopper backer, way back in the day, and have tried various different versions of the grasshopper over the years and have to say I'm impressed with the hopper io. I've only used it twice, once on temp tick 1 for one rip (which white walled my 1.5' bong), then hit it again on temp two and then three. I fee like it extracted most of the vapor on temp 1 on my first rip but still got more out of 2 and 3.

My second bowl, I figure I'd scorch the earth and hit it at temp 5 from the start and roast it all in one go (my usual method). It def got me thunder baked, more so than I'd been in a very long time, using the same herb. Also, the draw resistance is way, way less, granted I'm using PFE, but have been since it came out and it is very noticeable how much less draw resistance there is over the OG.

Let me know if anyone has any specific question. I'll do my best to test / and report back.

Congrats! What date was this shipped out and did it come with 1 battery at least?

Top Bottom