Homemade Glycerine Bong Cooler

Bouldorado

I like vape-bonging with ice, but my current piece (although it has pinches) is not well-suited for use with ice. Two reasons: 1) you can only fit ~2 cubes in the chamber, and 2) the design of this bong uses very little water, so any ice melt means it is soon overfilled.

This led to the creation of the glycerine cooler, inspired by the 7th floor vapor tamer.

4W3sIYv.jpg

xMZ1ipP.jpg

Very simple construction:
  • 20mm test tube (~$1 each on ebay)
  • rubber stopper (~$1 each at hardware store). The test tubes came with a plastic cap, but it covered about a 1/4 of the tube and didn't seem to seal very well.
  • tie wrap/string (allows the cooler to be removed without tilting the bong)
  • Tape (to secure the stopper, tie-wrap)
  • glycerine (can use other liquids, but glycerine guarantees the glass won't crack under expansion)
Aside from cooling the hits, the glycerine cooler greatly reduces the volume of the bong. Although I haven't determined yet if this is an advantage or disadvantage.

LazyIdol

That looks really awesome man, Im trying to envision a way I can adapt this to fit my 17'' M&M Double lattice. It has a bent neck so I dont know if a 20ml test tube will fit but maybe a 1-2 smaller tubes would work just as well

LazyIdol,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Bouldorado

That looks really awesome man, Im trying to envision a way I can adapt this to fit my 17'' M&M Double lattice. It has a bent neck so I dont know if a 20ml test tube will fit but maybe a 1-2 smaller tubes would work just as well

I imagine smaller test tubes would work as well. They have more surface area so they would be more effective at cooling the vapor in theory. You could easily chain them together with the tie wrap/tape I used in my design. If you don't have ice pinches or a splash guard though, it probably won't work out too well (ie a dave goldstein piece).

Bouldorado,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

LazyIdol

I imagine smaller test tubes would work as well. They have more surface area so they would be more effective at cooling the vapor in theory. You could easily chain them together with the tie wrap/tape I used in my design. If you don't have ice pinches or a splash guard though, it probably won't work out too well (ie a dave goldstein piece).

Yea Im thinking I'll need 10 mL or smaller test tubes. The mouthpiece portion of my double lattice is only 32mm in the first place. Im having a hard time finding smaller test tubes on Ebay but I might be able to snag some in lab this week

Edit: Can I ask where you got your glycerine? is it just available at Whole foods or something similar?

Last edited:

Bouldorado

Yea Im thinking I'll need 10 mL or smaller test tubes. The mouthpiece portion of my double lattice is only 32mm in the first place. Im having a hard time finding smaller test tubes on Ebay but I might be able to snag some in lab this week

Edit: Can I ask where you got your glycerine? is it just available at Whole foods or something similar?

Just to clarify, the test tube is 20 mm in diameter (and 150mm in length), not 20ml by volume. Since you know your mouthpiece diameter, if you double the wall thickness (typically 5-7mm) and subtract it, you'll be left with the inside diameter. In your case you should have an i.d. between 18 and 22mm. Something like this should work (diameter wise at least)

As for the glycerine, I'm pretty sure I bought it at vitamin cottage (or one of those similar stores)

Bouldorado,
Top Bottom