Hmmmm....moonshine to make your concentrate?

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Would anyone even consider using moonshine in a concentrate, tincture, etc? How is this even legal??

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-moonshine-central-florida-bars-20131125,0,3705792.story

Moonshine may be clear, but its reputation is still murky.

For many, the name conjures images of backwoods entrepreneurs of the Prohibition era who transported and sold moonshine illegally.

But drinkers today no longer need to go under the table to get their fix of the harsh, often potent, form of whiskey.

Moonshineis making a comeback at liquor stores and nightspots across the country, including a pair of Orlando bars that offer the spirit as their signature drink. And makers and retailers are hoping the "bad boy" reputation sticks.

"People really, really love it," said Chris Noble, the manager of downtown's Hooch and Shine nightspots. "They had that feeling in their head that it's moonshine, it's the strongest thing, it's going to make you go blind. It's that crazy-strong alcohol."

Flavored moonshine shots are a fixture at the two bars in the Wall Street nightlife complex. Introduced at Hooch in 2012, the drinks are available in a variety of flavors such as apple pie and lemonade. According to Noble, the shots are strong — roughly 75 percent alcohol — and the combined venues go through as many as 200 jars of moonshine a week.

The alcohol's kick appeals to Orlando resident Chance Kirkpatrick.

"It'll put hair on your chest," said the 34-year-old radio intern. "It's one of those shots like ouzo [a Greek aperitif], where you've got to breathe out the fumes as soon as you drink it."

Moonshine's popularity runs roughly parallel to the rise of craft cocktails and their complex ingredients and exotic flavors. But the similarities stop there, said Kaitlin McGavock, a bartender at The Courtesy in Orlando.

"In the craft-cocktail scene, we focus so much on product and the craft of distilling," she said. Moonshine "is kind of devoid of all of that."

The moonshine trend has been picking up steam since the late 2000s, when changes in liquor laws in some states allowed distilleries such asTennessee'sOle Smoky to make and distribute variations of family moonshine recipes. These versions are usually 50 percent alcohol by volume, or 20 percent for flavored varieties.

Ole Smoky spokesmen say sales have increased 300 percent in Florida during the past year. Founder Joe Baker said the alcohol content and taste are consistent with the batches his family produced in earlier, less-legal days.

"We're able to control the elements a little bit better, I would say, just because of some advances in technology," he said. "I think that's part of the allure, too ... it's done exactly the same way that folks here in the mountains have done for many, many years."

Moonshine is distilled from corn mash, much like many other forms of American whiskey. The difference is in the aging process: Common whiskeys such as Jack Daniel's may undergo 10 years or more of aging before bottling. Moonshine can be ready in days.

Whether drinkers prefer it for the novelty or the taste, the history behind the 'shine can't be denied.

"I think it's something that's been gone for so long, that people just really haven't talked about in so many years," says Noble. "People drink it and they think of the old days."

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Legal moonshine is the same as alcohol is it not? They're both drinkable ethanol?

That being said, if you can find pure unadulterated (no flavors!) moonshine legally manufactured, I can't really think of a reason as to why it wouldn't work? I'm not sure how well it would work, but I'd imagine it gives a better flavor profile than even 99% ISO, probably around the same as EC (maybe a bit less, dunno water contents on moonshine).

It's worth a shot if you can get legit moonshine. I wouldn't even think about fucking around with homebrew 'shine.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
The basic ingredients of moonshine:

• corn meal
  • sugar
  • water
  • yeast
  • malt
Don't think I'd be making and concentrates to vape/smoke with THAT in there personally ;)

smokum,
Reactions: darkrom

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
The basic ingredients of moonshine:

• corn meal
  • sugar
  • water
  • yeast
  • malt
Don't think I'd be making and concentrates to vape/smoke with THAT in there personally ;)
What part of it is bad? The malt? The sugar? Yeast needs sugar to eat so it can poop out alcohol... Everclear doesn't have residual sugars but the process is the same?

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: smokum

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
What part of it is bad? The malt? The sugar? Yeast needs sugar to eat so it can poop out alcohol... Everclear doesn't have residual sugars but the process is the same?

Possibly... I didn't deep research and scoffed off reading sugar & malt..... pardon my armchair reaction, anything is possible ;)

smokum,

weedemon

enthusiast
I have also wondered about this one. I have not found anyone who has any really good stuff though. I don't know enough hicks... :(

well when you do this the byproduct is still ethanol. all that shit you mentioned (the mash i think?) stays in the barrel and is not in the shine at the end. the alcohol evaporates and leaves all the stuff that was used to make it.

I'm sure most of you already know this but basically, yeast eats the solution and as a byproduct of the yeast "doing it's thing, (living and eating)" the alcohol is made.

Also, I think a factory is actually doing the same thing. they will have better setups though for sure...

weedemon,
Reactions: Vicki

Caligula

Maximus
Moonshine is typically around 150 proof (75% ABV if my brain is working correctly this early), but usually ends up with less to make it more drinkable (as well as to dilute and increase product volume). You could go buy some Bracardi 151 and do the same thing or you can use Everclear or organic grape alcohol which are both at around 90% ABV.

FYI Bevmo has mass produced "Moonshine" (comes in a mason jar) at or around the 75% ABV level... if you care enough.

Caligula,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Too low of alcohol content...as stupid as that may sound.

You want alcohol + a tiny bit of water.

Everclear or if you have the money grape alcohol is definitely the way to go like Caligula said.

I stick with everclear. I need to order some more. Not sold in my state or anywhere I can travel to, but I did find a place that will ship it. Kind of a hassle since you need to be home to sign for it to prove you are over 21, but its the only option I have right now.

darkrom,

z9

I was recently given a large jar of cherry moonshine from a fourth generation moonshine maker.

I tried making a tincture last week with it with but I never could get my reclaim to dissolve in the moonshine even after adding everclear and heating it on a candle warmer. That oil would just NOT break down so I trashed it. I can't figure out why it wouldn't dissolve especially once everclear was added. Maybe I should have dissolved in everclear then mixed it with the moonshine and evaporated it down :shrug:

Anyways there could be a lot of impurities introduced in the process of making moonshine that you wouldn't want to vaporize. I'm comfortable using moonshine to make something that will be eaten but I would never use it for inhalation methods unless the moonshine was made in a professional or lab setting.

Edit: I may try again soon with some abv, if I do I will report back. Mmmmmm cherry flavored abv tincture - lets hope the abv taste doesn't make me sick

Last edited:
Top Bottom