Higgs Boson

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am not sure who has been following this. I heard about it a couple weeks ago before they actually announced anything official. It looks like over at the LHC they managed to have two different experiments find a particle that is consistent with the Higgs Boson.

"On 4 July 2012, the two main experiments at the LHC (ATLAS and CMS) both reported independently that they found a new particle with a mass of about 125 GeV/c2 (about 133 proton masses, on the order of 10-25 kg), which is "consistent with the Higgs boson". They acknowledged that further work would be needed to conclude that it is indeed the Higgs Boson, that it has the theoretically predicted properties of the Higgs boson, and exactly which version of the Standard Model it best supported if confirmed.[2][7][8][9][10]"

So allot of that goes over my head. I know enough to realize how important this discovery is. Lets hope they cane confirm the findings. I have a feeling they feel very confident in their findings, otherwise they would not have announced what they did.

I wonder what advances we will make as a society because of this discovery. You can read more about the Higgs Boson at Wikipedia.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
This is a very important discovery!!! :)

Now, for a small joke. :D

34zlrae.jpg

fidget

Hoverboards here we come!

Also can I be the first from FC to congratulate John Terry on this discovery (english football joke)

fidget,
Reactions: Vicki
Been following this very closely as well,for direct info :
http://cdsweb.cern.ch/journal/CERNBulletin/2012/28/News Articles/1459454?ln=en
Now we wait and see if it conforms to the properties as predicted in the standardmodel or we have something more exotic at our hands,which might be more 'helpful' in finding out more.
We still haven't a clue as to what the unknown/invisible other 96% of the universe consists of.:science:
enhanced-buzz-32389-1341534400-1.jpg

As jokes go,recently i just had to smile at:
"The tachyon orders a beer. A tachyon walks into a bar.":lol:

GatorJC

What was the question, again?
I've been following this as well. It will be interesting to see what they think they have in a few months time, after they have had more time to study their findings..

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
i've been following this too. but i'm not sure if its true or not cause i see no mention of it in futurama.

There was an episode where Fry and the Professor travel to Planet DaVinci... All the residents of the planet are super smart. DaVinci is actually the stupidest person on the planet. Someone makes fun of DaVinci and says... "HAHAHA You don't even know the mass of the Higgs Boson."

Top Bottom