Hi all. New here, so ...

840_divided_by_two

Can also vouch for sous weed. I only have an anova nano (hits 198f max) and it decarbs very very well. I seal in a mason jar and then vac seal that before submerging. Never had smell or potency issues. What some others overlook is that decarboxylation is a function of both heat AND time. 198 at 2-3 hours will work just as well as 240 at 45 mins. 240 at 30-40 mins is GREAT! But I prefer 225 for an hour when I oven DeCarb. If you want a foolproof method for that, use a Quart sized mason jar and seal it FINGER TIGHT ONLY. Then wrap it in a turkey bag and decarb @ 225 for an hour. I like to give the jar a shake halfway through too.. just for the love of all that is holy be careful. Also check out instant pot decarbs using a mason jar. That's super smell proof just release the pressure outside. Plus side is you can infuse the same way!!

Hippie

I have been buying packs of rump steaks and putting them in together for 10 hours or so at 53 degrees C in my temp controlled still, as the PID is accurate enough to maintain the temp like a sous vide machine, and freezing them.

You can get sous vide bags that can take higher temps too btw
So using a high temp bag and oil in the bath is also an option

joupotu

not just the temp but also the duration of which the weed is heated
TY bob. Darn, I wish I could get hold of graywolf. Have you visited his site, graywolfslair.com (which is down now, but the above links posted by Hippie, are to archives of his site at the waybackmachine)? I'm not sure what he'd say about sous vide method. He knows of my attempt of a pseudo-sous vide decarb. I think he said it wouldn't work. I am not sure, so please forgive me. I do appreciate the above link which I intend to try, especially if you say it works for tinctures for you. You do use tinctures, right? Or is it only edibles and dabs, and extracts, etc.?

And i would like to discuss tincs more with you as well, if you use them, that is.
I'd like to know if tinctures really get you high, like smoking flowers do? You do them sublingually, correct?
Do they take less than 30 minutes to get you high? And once high, how long does the high last?

joupotu

Can also vouch for sous weed. I only have an anova nano (hits 198f max) and it decarbs very very well. I seal in a mason jar and then vac seal that before submerging. Never had smell or potency issues. What some others overlook is that decarboxylation is a function of both heat AND time. 198 at 2-3 hours will work just as well as 240 at 45 mins. 240 at 30-40 mins is GREAT! But I prefer 225 for an hour when I oven DeCarb. If you want a foolproof method for that, use a Quart sized mason jar and seal it FINGER TIGHT ONLY. Then wrap it in a turkey bag and decarb @ 225 for an hour. I like to give the jar a shake halfway through too.. just for the love of all that is holy be careful. Also check out instant pot decarbs using a mason jar. That's super smell proof just release the pressure outside. Plus side is you can infuse the same way!!
Wow, man, everything you expressed here is what I am about to try. See one stupid prob is I have to lay off
THC until I get a doc's appointment to take a UA test, and cannot test positive for THC. I'm sure you get it.
Also, my intent is to test making and using tinctures on myself but for my wife to use who has COPD (wow,
I hate to go into all of this, ppl just don't want to hear it, but to be candid, I guess it's necessary). So I should
be taking the UA sometime this month, and then ready to begin testing.

Back to your idea (which is exactly the same idea I conjured up in my weak li'l brain, which is use a mason jar
(aka, jug), put that inside a bag (btw, I have already done this one time, but without a sous vide machine and
used a boiling ziploc bag in a pot of water which I monitored very closely with a digital probe thermometer
and kept it at about 200 degrees for about 60 to 90 minutes. Then, after cooling and opening outside, just like
you said (GMTA, eh? :)) I soaked that product in 190 proof Everclear for a few days, filtered it, etc.
However afterward, the trial of the sublingual application of my extract failed to have any effects, even after
two or three eye droppers full. So something must not've worked, including the actual product itself. I will say
that after decarbing it, it seemed a good color, slightly more brown, like it's supposed to look. But it was just
no-high tincture. I only am testing it at a quantity of 1g per 1oz alcohol until I get something figured out. Is
it this hard for everybody who tries this? Or am I the only one who's trying it? Or WHAT? LMAO

joupotu

Exactly. I’m just a stickler for gear so I bought an actual sous vide stick and that bagsealing machine too. You can make mad meats and potatoes with it too.
I will probably do the same thing as you did, bob. Can you recommend any gear to buy? I've most certainly shopped around for seal a meal machnes and sous vide machines as well. My electric range held its temp very steadily at 200 degrees. It's one of those uh..glass top ranges that uses radiant surface elements in place of the old style electric burners.

And i've watched cooking shows about cooking sous vide as well, and the end products look absolutely delicious. You brown a roast, and sous vide it for 12 or so hours at say 140 degrees, and it's just perfecto, from what I've seen.

joupotu

not just the temp but also the duration of which the weed is heated
TY bob. Darn, I wish I could get hold of graywolf. Have you visited his site, graywolfslair.com (which is down now, but does have the above links posted by Hippie, to archives of his site at the waybackmachine)? I'm not sure what he'd say about sous vide method. He knows of my attempt of a pseudo-sous vide decarb. I think he said it wouldn't work. I am not sure, so please forgive me. I do appreciate the above link which I intend to try, especially if you say it works for tinctures for you. And i would like to discuss tincs more with you as well. The leafly article treats this sous vide weed in three parts.

joupotu

You can get sous vide bags that can take higher temps too btw
So using a high temp bag and oil in the bath is also an option
Jeeze, you guys, thank you all! You ppl in here are just great. I'm not new at forums, but am pretty new visiting cannibis forums, and damn, I love forums, but the cannabis ones, so far, the members are just super cool. Wow, well, hell, after all these years, I surely should've known. Long story short...THANK YOU! :)

840_divided_by_two

Honestly your quasi sous vide probably didn't go for enough time. I just decarbed 30g's of Flower at 200 but I let it go for 3-4 hours then infused mct oil at the same temp for another hour.

But hey glad I could provide some validation to your plan! Let me know if you run into any roadblocks I've got plenty of edibles experience! Also sorry to hear about your wife hope she's doing okay. And don't be silly some people out there are cool with listening and appreciate the fact that you shared something personal

Happy New Year!

joupotu

Thank you. She's doing okay for now. Thanks. Just the high really helps here, but smoking is worse.
Gotta figure out tincture somehow, gotta be a way. Stupid stores don't sell any that's worth a damn.
I know, i've tried almost half doz. store bought brands. Nothing.

And yeah, i'll cook longer hours this time. Graywolf, if he'd ever be possible to get hold of would really
be helpful, as is his true nature. And for what he calls retirement is such, he's one busy SOB! I emailed him
yesterday, so we'll see.

HNY to you and yours, too. :)

sickmanfraud

250° F for about an hour for max

240 for forty minutes is your best decarb.

I find the Ardent FX to give off more smell than the Ardent Nova. Either would work in a turkey bag but you should still make cookies or popcorn to be safe. It could be that the FX holds more material, but it simply does not hold smells in.

This link is your best bet. Very long thread, but there is a link to an index in the first post. you can ask questions and get reliable answers from people with lots and lots and lots of experience.

joupotu

TY sickmanfraud. I got that link Thursday from
Summary of pschodelic Sam's method from grass city forum.
AND you'd both be right, Sam (RIP) has a very well documented body of research
over at "the city" which is indexed and organized. So thank you and darkstar for thinking of it. HNY

joupotu,
Top Bottom