Hey FC. RE DAP PRESS 4 ton

M45094509

Hi there. I have a four ton and cannot get any Rosen significance
I have the PID set at 190 F.
I warm up the puck a little and then slowly press for about 2 minutes.
Nothing.
ive tried all different kinds of flower.
Indica is better to press than sati a?
I’m going to make smaller pucks. They were too big I think. At least 1-8 oz

please HELP

M45094509,
Reactions: arb

WelshBrok

Nothing.

please HELP
Definitely too big. I’d say stick around 4-7gram pucks in a 4 tonne.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Nothing.

please HELP
The plates are getting hot?
The flower is not totally dry?
Definitely too big. I’d say stick around 4-7gram pucks in a 4 tonne.
I think he says he used 3.5 grams.
🤔
Plates get hot and your material is good?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
There is a learning curve, but it is difficult to offer advice without really seeing your processes, feel like posting a video?

I would recommend pressing longer, slowly and get to a higher pressure. Prepressing also helped me increase yield.

Without getting complicated, my routine is to bag bottle tech and slowly press for about 1:30-3 minutes (depending on amount pressing and at what temps). At that point at time, my puck is at temp, my plates are close together but not yet registering on the pressure gauge, and I am starting to see oil pool around the puck right as the pressure needle starts to move. From here, I continue to slowly move the plates together over the next 4-8 minutes until I am at at my desired pressure (dependent on amount pressing, shape of prepress used, etc).

chris 71

I have the 4 ton too and it works awesome if you aren't getting anything at all there must be something wrong with plates are they hot too the touch ? I bought a infrared temp gun to get accurate temps . Humidity is important too maybe to dry but you say you tried all different samples ? Something dont sound right check temp on plates . i find 5 gram prepressed pucks work best

chris 71,
  • Love

M45094509

I have the 4 ton too and it works awesome if you aren't getting anything at all there must be something wrong with plates are they hot too the touch ? I bought a infrared temp gun to get accurate temps . Humidity is important too maybe to dry but you say you tried all different samples ? Something dont sound right check temp on plates . i find 5 gram prepressed pucks work best
I’ll try the smaller amount. I read that indica is better f pressing than sativa? I’ll check the plates. Something is wrong.
On your bottle Jack, the indicator for pressure under the little red cap was turned to the 9:00o clock position.
can you tell me what position your indicator sits at?
Thx M

M45094509,

M45094509

There is a learning curve, but it is difficult to offer advice without really seeing your processes, feel like posting a video?

I would recommend pressing longer, slowly and get to a higher pressure. Prepressing also helped me increase yield.

Without getting complicated, my routine is to bag bottle tech and slowly press for about 1:30-3 minutes (depending on amount pressing and at what temps). At that point at time, my puck is at temp, my plates are close together but not yet registering on the pressure gauge, and I am starting to see oil pool around the puck right as the pressure needle starts to move. From here, I continue to slowly move the plates together over the next 4-8 minutes until I am at at my desired pressure (dependent on amount pressing, shape of prepress used, etc).
Yeah I don’t have a pressure gauge set up with the 4 ton DP. Is there a way to add a pressure gauge on the unit?
The DP guys say No. but without a pressure gauge how to get the precision you need?

M45094509,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Agreed, gauge is not necessary, but it does help a lot in the beginning to learn tolerances of bags, and to gain experience.
Once you have experience, it is like driving a car and you just get better and better at it.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Did you try turning up the temperature?
Try 220F and see how it does. A few 1g test presses will help you get a better feel for yield and quality.

Lower temps can retain a good portion of the goodies still in the puck, Elysian Research demonstrated this years ago as one of the pioneers of the rosin community.
When pressing flower there’s generally going to be a sliding scale between quality and yield. Are you seriously getting nothing back, or just not as much as you’d like to see? Some of the best flower rosin I’ve gotten has been low yielding.

Also make sure you’re giving the press long enough to heat up thoroughly before pressing - At least 10 minutes.

M45094509

ok, thanks for the information. Should I be using a 110 or 120 micron filter for fine flower or do you use the lower micron with less ground flower for best results?

what do you use?

I need to make sure the plates are testing to the PID output temp.

And about 1-1/2-3 minutes to warm the plates up,
2-3 grams of flower to test,
and use 220F?

M45094509,

M45094509

Can you tell me where the indicator sits for pressure on the bottle jack?

Mine was set at the 9:00 oclock when I got it.

Do I need to be pressing at 4 ton which i would think mean the indicator should be at 12:00 oclock?

M45094509,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You should wait at least 10 minutes for the plates to warm up, and I would not recommend using ground flower at all, especially in such a large mesh bag.
Use a 25 or 37 micron bag if you're using ground. Use whole nugs in your larger mesh bags. I wouldn't use a bag at all for a small 1g test press.

And I'm not sure what you mean by indicator, but if you're referring to the pressure release valve, you want it fully closed when pressing rosin.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: JCat

M45094509

ok thanks on the above. I'm not sure What the 2nd indicator is for. I shouldn't assume, yes?

All I do know is that to the right of the pressure release valve, I have this other little red cap sitting next to it, and when I took the cap off, I saw the indicator was at 9:00 oclock .

I've looked at BOM's for bottle jacks and haven't seen this extra cap on them. Just the DP4.

M45094509,
That screw you're talking about is the factory adjustment screw and should be fine. If the handle 'slips' after the pressure is on it, the screw will need to be adjusted but they hardly ever do. If the jack is working properly, leave it alone.

However, if you want to experiment and play with it, here's how.... with the unit off and cool, pump it up all the way until the plates are closed and the handle will not pump any more. Hold downward pressure on the handle while you turn the screw clockwise. You'll notice the handle starting to slip under your pressure, even though the plates are solid together. Turning the screw counter clockwise does about the same thing only opposite (the plates will slip down rather than the handle). The key is to find the spot in the middle where the handle stops pumping when the pressure is full and where the plates don't slip down. That is where the factory should have set it.

Don't unscrew it too far or all your oil will leak out.

Just FYI

Also, I almost never go above 200F. 170F to 190F is my norm. 60 to 65% humidity. I warm up the plates for an hour before pressing. I press 2 to 3 gram pucks without bags and each press is about 2 or 3 minutes from start to finish. I place the puck in between the plates and pump the plates together until it's just a little pressure. Wait a minute or 2 for the puck to heat up and SLOWLY start pressing. When I see the rosin starting to come out I increase the pressure to about max. After it stops flowing (usually about 30 seconds to a minute), I give it a final pump to get any last minute stuff out and ... that's it.

Good luck

Last edited:

Okla68

Dont know if this is the proper thread for this question, but....

What happens if you press a Raw, Uncured Cola ? Not Dried !
What will the results be ?

Okla68,
  • Haha

WelshBrok

Dont know if this is the proper thread for this question, but....

What happens if you press a Raw, Uncured Cola ? Not Dried !
What will the results be ?
Pretty sure the moisture content would boil/cook the cannibinoids but haven’t tried it. For live it’s usually processed into bubble hash and then pressed

WelshBrok,
Top Bottom