Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Coil arrived today!!

Tried to swap it to a 25mm to hop back on the quartz train but wound up with my original order of 30mm, its another of the coils that appear to be made out of a flat ribbon, then rolled up on its edge, IMO these are the best type of coils as heat would tend to unwrap them horizontally instead of expanding vertically that can stress dishes and these coils have a VERY flat surface that shouldn't need any adjusting or flattening. This is the same type of coil that came with my HN01 and has worked very well for me in the past. Good job to Hex for securing more of these and Im curious as to what the 25mm coils look like, if anyone who got one could post a pic or at the least confirm one way or the other if they are similar in design.

Take a look at some of out latest Instagram posts. We slapped one fresh out of the box on a new banger and it fit PERFECTLY. We don't even need the hooks they're just there for safety. The coils are ROCK SOLID. Our first out of the box has been going for 4 days strong around 590 degrees with no hiccups.

We switched back to our ORIGINAL (like, literally first run of HN-01, original) vendor for these (and all future coils) from now on. We've also started using Anti-Static bags for UNITS and COIL orders as an extra precaution for shipping this round. SO HANG ON TO YOUR PINK BAGS THEY'RE RAD.

The other thing about these coils (we requested this) is that they're 150w for both 110 & 220. They're more powerful than some of our previous coils. This had been reported to improve the performance of all our 220v coils significantly (so anyone waiting on an International shipment, rejoice!). We can confirm that they recover a bit quicker than the 100w coils. It may almost come down to preference for some folks...but we are very satisfied with the step up in quality these guys made over the last couple years.

They may fluctuate a tiny, tiny bit right now (ours is solid even on current tunings at HQ) because our current coil profiles are for 100w coils but we will be releasing new coil profiles for each one after we finish the bulk of R2 shipping. Just need to have results for each one run through our torture tests to plug in.

EDITS:

- Going to talk to Liz in a sec and see how she's doing on this one. (Update Below)

- A lot of 25mm coils should be going out today. If you ordered one go ahead & PM me here asap and I'll make sure you're on my list. I'm getting more labels together right now. @afeekh - Check your Inbox. ;)

Here's a photo of one:
dHmtSpv.jpg

@ensabbahnur I forgot to mention this before. Please do test out temps and what not for the SiC Halo. I personally spent a lot of time working on that tuning and it was our daily driver for quite some time. It's in our top 3 and I think it may have the most accurate dish temp numbers at the moment. I'd love your feedback.

Please remember with our temps vs actual direct thermocouple readings: There is also a general small margin of error and potential manufacturing variations in the nails themselves. I've had dishes that were significantly different weights in term of thermal property that were supposedly 'the same'. Heat sink & lock washers can also change the thermal properties. I personally like running my Halos Low Pro with an exposed coil under the dish. Paired with SiC and still air in your dab 'zone' removing the retention washer gave me quicker recovery after larger dabs.

The other difference being that our dish temps and tunings aren't just calculated via a single (or multiple probes) DIRECTLY on the dish. We place sensors on the outside of the coil itself, outside and insides of the dish, outside and inside of the titanium center tube / screw in the case of the Halos (and more) It makes our readings on screen less accurate directly to the dish but it gives you a better idea of the temp ANYWHERE on the nail (because lets face it...it NEVER all ends up in the bottom of the dish).

Granted, this is no excuse for how off some of our current tunings are when it comes to fluctuation / dish temp and we'll fix them (but coil only mode and the previously stated steps should work well as a fix in the mean time). BUT...last I checked the SiC Halo tuning should be pretty darn close (though depending on your software version it may be different).

LIZ - RE: NETWORKING (Warning: This is complicated. Most of you won't need this.)

# WiFi Issues?

## 1. Services and Ports

The controller runs each service listed below on its own thread which is spawned from the controller daemon at startup.

The corresponding SSL Ports listed are each served through nginx as a reverse proxy providing SSL termination.

| Service | TYPE | PORT | SSL PORT |
| ---------------------- | --------- | --------- | ----------- |
| Web App HTTP Server | TCP | 8890 | 443 |
| WiFi Setup HTTP Server | TCP | 8710 | 8443 |
| Basic REST API Server | TCP | 8891 | N/A |
| MQTT Broker | TCP | 7111 | 8883 |
| UPnP-HTTP Server | TCP | 8981 | N/A |
| UPnP-SSDP Server | UDP | 1900 | N/A |

## 2. DNS Resolution / Mapping
Constructing the URLs for some of these services can be somewhat confusing.
(I'll take the blame for admittedly assigning some of the port numbers without making them make more sense...)

Each Hex-Nail has a DNS A-Record maintained for it on a Hex-Nail DNS server which maps it's friendly "rq2-0000.hn-connect.net" address to it's *LAN* IP Address.

This allows for TLS encrypted communication between the App and the controller even while on your local network.

The DNS address associated with your controller only resolves to it's address from within your LAN; it's useless/impossible to access your nail using that address from outside your LAN.
The actual remote control transport uses TLS encryption over via binary frames sent over secure websockets (wss://).

## 3. DNS, Addressing, and Ports

The WiFi Portal can be reached via:
- Unencrypted HTTP via either its Local IP address or DNS name, and basic Port:
`http://10.0.0.20:8710`

- Encrypted TLS via it's FQDN and SSL Port:
`https://rq2-0000.hn-connect.net:8443`

Similarly the WebApp instance hosted on your Hex-Nail itself can be reached via:
`http://rq2-0000.hn-connect.net:8710`

**The trick here is that SSL certificates are almost exclusively bound to a hosts' DNS name (matching the cert's "Common Name" (CN)), and thus don't work with URLs using IP addresses as hostnames.**
This is an odd example of where security on the internet is somewhat inherently hindered by design, at least when it comes to using a web-based application or service over a secure transport to connect or control other devices on your local network.

## 4. WiFI Portal HTTP Server and JSON API

The WiFi Setup Portal we direct you to during initial setup is a separate HTTP Server with a few endpoints, all on port 8710 (HTTP) or 8443 (HTTPS):

- GET: / = Static HTTP file server service the WiFi setup portal html, and static assets.
- GET|POST: /wifi = JSON API Endpoint used by the WiFi setup form:
- GET will give you a list of networks
- POST to save/connect to a WiFi network with a json payload:
{ "ssid": "...", "passphrase": "..." }
- GET|POST: /wifi-advanced = JSON API for loading and saving the configuration under the Advanced

WiFi Section

- GET: /wifi-status = Provides basic WiFi status as json (ip_address, associated, ssid)
- GET: /system = Crude dump of system status and log output, usually throws a 500
- GET: /status = Returns the JSON representation of the global controller state object.

To manually issue a WiFi Connection request to your Hex-Nail, send a HTTP POST and JSON payload to:

http://<ip-address>:8710/wifi

_There will be a more comprehensive WiFi Connection Manger exposed through the App itself in an upcoming update._

## 5. Minimal Control Interface
The API running on TCP 8891 exposes just four URLs used as an adapter interface for extremely simple remote control/integration:
- GET /heater/heater_on
- GET /heater/heater_off
- GET /system/hardware_version
- GET /system/device_id
An MQTT Message Broker runs on TCP 7111 and handles all of the JSON messages and streaming binary websocket frames sent between the controller and the App.

## 6. Device & Service Discovery
There's a UPnP+SSDP+HTTP service discovery system running such that:

- SSDP service advertisements and search requests are sent via HTTP Multicast on UDP 1900 to 239.255.255.250.

- Search responses are sent by the controller service on the same UDP 1900 but using Unicast, providing the client with a URL to then request from the UPnP-HTTP server running on TCP 8981, providing them an XML descriptor.

- The native mobile apps will make better use of this stack to more quickly and reliable connect to your Hex-Nail.

EDIT: @nickmo - You're going to love the banger tuning. I promise. It's my pride and joy so far. Used 3 different brands of bangers with it and it's pretty solid. It was originally made for the Eternal Quartz banger.

Last edited:

nickmo

FWIW, I got my coils today (16, 20, and 25). Never got any tracking info, but I wasn't sweating it because I already have compatible coils (this is my first 25 though). Round 2, ordered the 20 with my original order with the unit. Added 16 and 25 later via separate transactions.

Happy customer so far, but I really want to learn more about the profiles and tunings though! Still on the "No Nail" setting (coil only mode) to maintain stable temps.

A shot of the 25mm I just received, for the curious:
N7TB1Sms4cWL0ucfARwNTL1fE2VhYQzPZYJyN2whJMCFNzkzCnQeUkXBXCbz61qiHsFfFMoqfmXeHl1mio8RfKJ5mZlRQuyFAmbrdkaLj7eZwxNhLDaLHOR0nWwX2OrUV2xRisLezyz9Lv0wMPSKBwXXoNnz_1k-Xn-tdw6qf9rLaDkzcTMa4kujqI1x3B33Dh0m-NQGb8smBR103gGFmMpRQqeTuSWCx6_3nmslLWVaNWItK2aty_iMdnBAFRsWKDC8TSkJBwfKsiW-zQHUA698DD7jhd8HpCB1roAf0xyYmjzPyZ3piPga61XwWAF8EVg5hO6ILgwX2LXa_W5pTEFh39e8RhELwr52q_3JcDdCkzOQGpHfNq7z0OMno-VjuNjncTYAmv2BjRGMy1bTGO4D-CkgfkG-ZCDaH36fNaYWVknsgHCyAEPZIFMhrBk354Eda_uISdfsg47poIqu5W3CTKPWKVaxS6FGvfSz4tKszpXKQVUbS2jE-S6l4KfD2YZmlUGU8xyx6ODPrFztjXSQ07tj3Rqew_w1cbh7mVsR4RNsnk46i4EJn2KzEqGrfvOfYeIz1S3H-s4KYpSvm1i2EkQK_rZ1wft45f_m=w982-h1309-no

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Dnail flat coil vs Hex flat coil : Note Ive never had any issues with dnail coils aside from them sometimes arriving ridiculously unflat and needing to be adjusted.

If you're looking for any coil, regardless of size Id strongly recommend getting with the Hex ladies
jSbXYji.jpg

Slagzord

Don't fuckle with shuckle
Been quiet in this thread, but lurking since I started looking for a PID. I love the aesthetics of the box and the app, and feel pretty reassured with security and such with the product.

And those coils, oh those coils...

Depending on how tax season treats this sad, sad man, I may have to get some of this serious female ingenuity into my fab fab dab line up. For all my bros who talk a progressive game, legit, you can put your money where your mouth is and support female entrepreneurs in this field!

Bravo @HexNailAva and @HexNailLiz!

nickmo

Question, what temps do you run the 25mm bangers at? I got an opaque bottom from fatdabco and a few quartz inserts. Different temp with/without an insert I assume? Recommended Hex settings? I've been in Liger world for so long!

nickmo,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Question, what temps do you run the 25mm bangers at? I got an opaque bottom from fatdabco and a few quartz inserts. Different temp with/without an insert I assume? Recommended Hex settings? I've been in Liger world for so long!
So check out your tunings. The OS/2 has both a 25mm Barrel Coil Tuning and a 25mm Banger Tuning (Eternal Quartz) so make sure you select the right ones.

We keep our in-house units set between 575f - 600f 90% of the time (without an insert).
I'll have more temps for you over the next few days on the inserts as we have one I've been wanting to dial in more here for our Eternal banger but the few real good pulls I've got with an insert were between 700 - 800 depending on the size of our dab.

Some may think these sound high but this'll give you an idea of what around (I think) 775f melt like with a fatty: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bge1jOkh14q/?taken-by=hexnail

Correction: It was set at 725f w/ Glob Mode on. 20/20, IIRC. Caught a glimpse of the temp in the video.

Also, appreciate the shout-out! :) I originally moved to Cali to be a Budtender but after applying to 200+ places between the Bay and LA I just gave up on being a part of what I loved until we started doing this. Had to force our way in if we wanted into the weed game. lol

Last edited:

afeekh

Thanks @HexNailAva for the prompt response

Take a look at some of out latest Instagram posts. We slapped one fresh out of the box on a new banger and it fit PERFECTLY. We don't even need the hooks they're just there for safety. The coils are ROCK SOLID. Our first out of the box has been going for 4 days strong around 590 degrees with no hiccups.

We switched back to our ORIGINAL (like, literally first run of HN-01, original) vendor for these (and all future coils) from now on. We've also started using Anti-Static bags for UNITS and COIL orders as an extra precaution for shipping this round. SO HANG ON TO YOUR PINK BAGS THEY'RE RAD.

The other thing about these coils (we requested this) is that they're 150w for both 110 & 220. They're more powerful than some of our previous coils. This had been reported to improve the performance of all our 220v coils significantly (so anyone waiting on an International shipment, rejoice!). We can confirm that they recover a bit quicker than the 100w coils. It may almost come down to preference for some folks...but we are very satisfied with the step up in quality these guys made over the last couple years.

They may fluctuate a tiny, tiny bit right now (ours is solid even on current tunings at HQ) because our current coil profiles are for 100w coils but we will be releasing new coil profiles for each one after we finish the bulk of R2 shipping. Just need to have results for each one run through our torture tests to plug in.

EDITS:

- Going to talk to Liz in a sec and see how she's doing on this one. (Update Below)

- A lot of 25mm coils should be going out today. If you ordered one go ahead & PM me here asap and I'll make sure you're on my list. I'm getting more labels together right now. @afeekh - Check your Inbox. ;)

Here's a photo of one:
dHmtSpv.jpg

@ensabbahnur I forgot to mention this before. Please do test out temps and what not for the SiC Halo. I personally spent a lot of time working on that tuning and it was our daily driver for quite some time. It's in our top 3 and I think it may have the most accurate dish temp numbers at the moment. I'd love your feedback.

Please remember with our temps vs actual direct thermocouple readings: There is also a general small margin of error and potential manufacturing variations in the nails themselves. I've had dishes that were significantly different weights in term of thermal property that were supposedly 'the same'. Heat sink & lock washers can also change the thermal properties. I personally like running my Halos Low Pro with an exposed coil under the dish. Paired with SiC and still air in your dab 'zone' removing the retention washer gave me quicker recovery after larger dabs.

The other difference being that our dish temps and tunings aren't just calculated via a single (or multiple probes) DIRECTLY on the dish. We place sensors on the outside of the coil itself, outside and insides of the dish, outside and inside of the titanium center tube / screw in the case of the Halos (and more) It makes our readings on screen less accurate directly to the dish but it gives you a better idea of the temp ANYWHERE on the nail (because lets face it...it NEVER all ends up in the bottom of the dish).

Granted, this is no excuse for how off some of our current tunings are when it comes to fluctuation / dish temp and we'll fix them (but coil only mode and the previously stated steps should work well as a fix in the mean time). BUT...last I checked the SiC Halo tuning should be pretty darn close (though depending on your software version it may be different).

LIZ - RE: NETWORKING (Warning: This is complicated. Most of you won't need this.)

# WiFi Issues?

## 1. Services and Ports

The controller runs each service listed below on its own thread which is spawned from the controller daemon at startup.

The corresponding SSL Ports listed are each served through nginx as a reverse proxy providing SSL termination.

| Service | TYPE | PORT | SSL PORT |
| ---------------------- | --------- | --------- | ----------- |
| Web App HTTP Server | TCP | 8890 | 443 |
| WiFi Setup HTTP Server | TCP | 8710 | 8443 |
| Basic REST API Server | TCP | 8891 | N/A |
| MQTT Broker | TCP | 7111 | 8883 |
| UPnP-HTTP Server | TCP | 8981 | N/A |
| UPnP-SSDP Server | UDP | 1900 | N/A |

## 2. DNS Resolution / Mapping
Constructing the URLs for some of these services can be somewhat confusing.
(I'll take the blame for admittedly assigning some of the port numbers without making them make more sense...)

Each Hex-Nail has a DNS A-Record maintained for it on a Hex-Nail DNS server which maps it's friendly "rq2-0000.hn-connect.net" address to it's *LAN* IP Address.

This allows for TLS encrypted communication between the App and the controller even while on your local network.

The DNS address associated with your controller only resolves to it's address from within your LAN; it's useless/impossible to access your nail using that address from outside your LAN.
The actual remote control transport uses TLS encryption over via binary frames sent over secure websockets (wss://).

## 3. DNS, Addressing, and Ports

The WiFi Portal can be reached via:

Similarly the WebApp instance hosted on your Hex-Nail itself can be reached via:
`http://rq2-0000.hn-connect.net:8710`

**The trick here is that SSL certificates are almost exclusively bound to a hosts' DNS name (matching the cert's "Common Name" (CN)), and thus don't work with URLs using IP addresses as hostnames.**
This is an odd example of where security on the internet is somewhat inherently hindered by design, at least when it comes to using a web-based application or service over a secure transport to connect or control other devices on your local network.

## 4. WiFI Portal HTTP Server and JSON API

The WiFi Setup Portal we direct you to during initial setup is a separate HTTP Server with a few endpoints, all on port 8710 (HTTP) or 8443 (HTTPS):

- GET: / = Static HTTP file server service the WiFi setup portal html, and static assets.
- GET|POST: /wifi = JSON API Endpoint used by the WiFi setup form:
- GET will give you a list of networks
- POST to save/connect to a WiFi network with a json payload:
- GET|POST: /wifi-advanced = JSON API for loading and saving the configuration under the Advanced

WiFi Section

- GET: /wifi-status = Provides basic WiFi status as json (ip_address, associated, ssid)
- GET: /system = Crude dump of system status and log output, usually throws a 500
- GET: /status = Returns the JSON representation of the global controller state object.

To manually issue a WiFi Connection request to your Hex-Nail, send a HTTP POST and JSON payload to:

http://<ip-address>:8710/wifi

_There will be a more comprehensive WiFi Connection Manger exposed through the App itself in an upcoming update._

## 5. Minimal Control Interface
The API running on TCP 8891 exposes just four URLs used as an adapter interface for extremely simple remote control/integration:
- GET /heater/heater_on
- GET /heater/heater_off
- GET /system/hardware_version
- GET /system/device_id
An MQTT Message Broker runs on TCP 7111 and handles all of the JSON messages and streaming binary websocket frames sent between the controller and the App.

## 6. Device & Service Discovery
There's a UPnP+SSDP+HTTP service discovery system running such that:

- SSDP service advertisements and search requests are sent via HTTP Multicast on UDP 1900 to 239.255.255.250.

- Search responses are sent by the controller service on the same UDP 1900 but using Unicast, providing the client with a URL to then request from the UPnP-HTTP server running on TCP 8981, providing them an XML descriptor.

- The native mobile apps will make better use of this stack to more quickly and reliable connect to your Hex-Nail.

EDIT: @nickmo - You're going to love the banger tuning. I promise. It's my pride and joy so far. Used 3 different brands of bangers with it and it's pretty solid. It was originally made for the Eternal Quartz banger.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
First of all I'm an IT-tech ignorant old bastard. After reading the last pages which sounds horrific to me I believe I would have to study some IT basics over some days first to be able to start and drive a HexNail. Will there come a simple plug&play solution sometime - maybe with some presettings and confirmations - to immediately start the HN?

Last edited:

buddingglasshead

First of all I'm an IT-tech ignorant old bastard. After reading the last pages which sounds horrific to me I believe I would have to study some IT basics over some days first to be able to start and drive a HexNail. Will there come a simple plug&play solution sometime - maybe with some presettings and confirmations - to immediately start the HN?

Have you watched the Initial set up video? It is plug and play just like most other wireless devices under normal circumstances and the bug I'm experiencing has already been resolved via an update according to the Hex girls. Those notes were prefaced with "Most users won't need this"

I wouldn't worry about it.

YabbaDABBAdo

Hey guys and gals! Just want to inform everyone I found a new LOW unfortunately for the @HexNailAva @HexNailLiz but I regret to inform you it’s a plus+ IN temperature!!! The new low I have found is in low temp dabbing on the highly educated gavel so it’s totally a plus ;) hehe.... i’ve finally come to the conclusion I’ve been dabbing at too high of a temperature and burning terps at 545°-555° So after some communication with some other hex fam i’ve dropped my temperature to 465° yes that temperature is giving me the most incredible flavor I’ve ever had off every strain you can taste the different terps you have never tasted before throughout the hit. I then set a boost between 20° and 40 seconds or 35° for 60 seconds and with those boost and the temperature I am at I finish off my dabs around 510° to 530°. It’s basically an insert tech style, it first melts and you taste the Terps fully, then when you take your second draw you boost depending on what size cloud you want depends on what boost you use. Trust me the vapor is amazing and the taste make you drool.
As far as the PID I have been writing down my settings and then going over what I have and changing settings to my needings. I have only been using my settings under “no nail” and I am getting the best readings and results I’ve ever had! Yes I do not get to see the nail temp but the stability and reacting time of the coil is on point sitting at a stable temp. Tested on every nail I have from the highly educated gavel to the fatdabco 25 mm to the liger 30 mm with sapphire insert and I’m about to bust out D-nail with SIC dish and sapphire insert to do some testing on that
Trust me it’s taking me time and many dabs to experiment and find the right settings and temperature so I’m trying to share with you guys insight that I have found and I will keep you posted
( also mutten840 has been very busy with work and his schedule has been swamped he is traveling this week and next week, so he’s not dead just busy as hell, he might be able to hop on this weekend if he has tim, but do not hold me to that)
Stay terpy folks

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yup, the hotter you dab the more those volatiles are destroyed. This is why the essential oil /aromatherapy community vaporizes with no heat, it's all done with ultrasonic diffusion or nebulization. Since quartz has low conductivity it can't vaporize as much of the compounds at a static low temp, so your uptemp sounds spot on. Huge fan of uptemps, IMO it's an absolute game changer, not just in flavor but also in smoothness.

Bullshift

Would anyone happen to know if all of the Round 2 units were supposed to have been sent out by now or how far along that might be?

Haven't been hearing back via email for a week so thought I might check in here.

Thanks in advance :)

Bullshift,

JigMelon

That's awesome @YabbaDABBAdo I'll have to try that out tomorrow night.

Also, I used 525 after work, which was great. I used both a bubble cap and the CCA710 Hurricane cap.

JigMelon,

Oogendoogan

Hey so I have a 25mm coil on the way to me (thank you @HexNailAva for the help getting me my tracking number) I have a few 25mm flat tops I plan to use it with. I’m hoping this can be my final enail solution. I own an errlectric with a Ti nail and quartz insert and I’ve used a wrap around sic dish FP head. I’ve also used a 20mm coil with a standard e banger. All of these have come short of what a torch and a 25mm flat top can do for me, especially with an insert.

I’m very exited for my coil and I think I have everything I need. I have wondered about attaching the coil to the nail though.. can anyone share some experience here? Is it hard to bend the coil to fit? Do you have to try to work with the coil while it’s hot? If so how do you touch the hot coil? Finally I’ve seen a few people using hooks and o rings to help they’re coil stay on they’re nail. I am not sure what these parts are. I have some small o rings from my underdog, but if someone could link the metal pieces and o rings they use that would be great :) I hope everyone is having a great Saturday.

Stay vaped :leaf:

Cheers :peace:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Hey so I have a 25mm coil on the way to me (thank you @HexNailAva for the help getting me my tracking number) I have a few 25mm flat tops I plan to use it with. I’m hoping this can be my final enail solution. I own an errlectric with a Ti nail and quartz insert and I’ve used a wrap around sic dish FP head. I’ve also used a 20mm coil with a standard e banger. All of these have come short of what a torch and a 25mm flat top can do for me, especially with an insert.

I’m very exited for my coil and I think I have everything I need. I have wondered about attaching the coil to the nail though.. can anyone share some experience here? Is it hard to bend the coil to fit? Do you have to try to work with the coil while it’s hot? If so how do you touch the hot coil? Finally I’ve seen a few people using hooks and o rings to help they’re coil stay on they’re nail. I am not sure what these parts are. I have some small o rings from my underdog, but if someone could link the metal pieces and o rings they use that would be great :) I hope everyone is having a great Saturday.

Stay vaped :leaf:

Cheers :peace:

As long as they are 25mm OD, the coil slides on like a sheathe.

From our buddy Errl

https://errlectric.com/index.php/hi...454-errlectric-hi-temp-silicone-bands-for-fqn

Oogendoogan

As long as they are 25mm OD, the coil slides on like a sheathe.

From our buddy Errl

https://errlectric.com/index.php/hi...454-errlectric-hi-temp-silicone-bands-for-fqn
Thank you very much! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I have seen many people using them without o rings or hooks and I hope to be able to do that, I just know my luck and my favorite banger is probably going to be a little loose (I only have import bangers, no $100 plus nails here) I am thinking about getting a nail from @borooregon on IG if this coil works out the way I hope. For $125 he does a 25mm flat top and an insert. Good deal for American quartz. But does it matter? Especially with the constant heat from the coil making heat retention matter less..? Any opinions on this from anyone?

Thanks again for the advice and the link. Gonna order some to be safe; but hopefully at least 2 or 3 of my import flat tops will fit without them.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Peace :peace::leaf:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Don't mess with the coil while hot and also I'd probably recommend using the o-rings+hooks regardless, especially if you're using a decent banger. The orings+hooks keep the coil arm and the banger from moving around too much when in use. If it does move, it can move the coil up/down unevenly and cause breaking.

The one time I tried to use it without the clips+oring, I walked away after turning the unit off and heard the banger shatter a few seconds later as it started to cool and separate...

Oogendoogan

Don't mess with the coil while hot and also I'd probably recommend using the o-rings+hooks regardless, especially if you're using a decent banger. The orings+hooks keep the coil arm and the banger from moving around too much when in use. If it does move, it can move the coil up/down unevenly and cause breaking.

The one time I tried to use it without the clips+oring, I walked away after turning the unit off and heard the banger shatter a few seconds later as it started to cool and separate...
Just ordered 2 sets for 2 bangers. I will probably use my knock off gavel and then I’m considering a boro Oregon nail for insert drops. Thanks for the advice. I’m a klutz and a lazy stoner, safer and easier is always the best path for me :)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

That's interesting, my $8 banger had the coil on so tight you could barely get it off when the coil was cold. I mean you'd have to really work it off. Definitely couldn't slip it off while hot; no problems at all.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
That's interesting, my $8 banger had the coil on so tight you could barely get it off when the coil was cold. I mean you'd have to really work it off. Definitely couldn't slip it off while hot; no problems at all.

Currently have a cheapass banger on there that's gotten so tight I can't get it off, but it works fine... Actually arrived to me with a slight crack on the inside of the dish (they replaced it) but it worked fine so I've been rocking it. Even after multiple cooldowns/etc I've been trying to get it loose while cool so I can clean it (idk why, it's freaking cracked anyway) but it's just too tight so I guess I'm rocking it til it breaks.

I don't know how necessary the o-rings are or whether that's exactly what they do. Just giving my experience. The one time I did try without the o-rings (I actually forgot to put it on in my excitement after finally getting the banger/coil to fit snug) it cracked while cooling down and I've never had it happen since.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Currently have a cheapass banger on there that's gotten so tight I can't get it off, but it works fine... Actually arrived to me with a slight crack on the inside of the dish (they replaced it) but it worked fine so I've been rocking it. Even after multiple cooldowns/etc I've been trying to get it loose while cool so I can clean it (idk why, it's freaking cracked anyway) but it's just too tight so I guess I'm rocking it til it breaks.

I don't know how necessary the o-rings are or whether that's exactly what they do. Just giving my experience. The one time I did try without the o-rings (I actually forgot to put it on in my excitement after finally getting the banger/coil to fit snug) it cracked while cooling down and I've never had it happen since.

Mine was also cracked when it arrived! That nail only broke cause my friend dropped it on the floor. I was more worried of snapping the neck off trying to get the damn coil off so I just left it lol. But this was all before I read any of @mutten840 coil guidelines on Gavel pairing. I was used to his Liger guidelines, IE: tight col = good :D

Hope to be joining you all soon in 25mm land! Been playing with these Chavels the last few days.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I usually run about 570~580 coil temp (reads 410~ or so nail temp) for regular dabs, using the tuning given to me by @mutten840 - what is everyone running for insert drops? I'm starting at like 630~ coil temp for decent results but not sure.

Top Bottom