Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

Square4Life

AP mode is where the Queen isn't connected to your wifi at all and you instead connect to its wifi (the Queen will flash green) and internal server. This is what I intend to be my primary mode of usage, while I like all the iot features it has, they shouldn't be mandatory and Im fairly certain they are not.
This is what I'm waiting for confirmation on.

If the 02 cannot currently be setup and used day to day without an internet source, it will not be the enail for me at this time.

@HexNailAva @HexNailLiz
I may have missed the statement or findings on this topic although if not, could one of you let us know, officially, if this is supported or not?

Tia!

buddingglasshead

They have stated it will. On mobile so copy and paste from one of Ava's previous posts

EDIT 3: Just to confirm guys, AP Mode is for SET UP ONLY right now. The patch / app update coming for the HN-01 will also unlock AP Mode for regular use on the RQ.

Last edited:

Square4Life

They have stated it will. On mpbimo so copy and paste from one of Ava's previous posts

EDIT 3: Just to confirm guys, AP Mode is for SET UP ONLY right now. The patch / app update coming for the HN-01 will also unlock AP Mode for regular use on the RQ.
Ah thanks for the heads up. I figured I had just missed it. Sometimes these threads get to moving so fast lol

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
They have stated it will. On mobile so copy and paste from one of Ava's previous posts

This PISSES ME THE F OFF, Ive been struggling like an idiot banging my head against the wall for 3 days now trying to get my unit to do anything of value, like 5 emails back and forth with Hex directly......specifically, and repeatedly asking this EXACT question and why its not working.

WHY THE F CANT HEX GET EVERYONE ON THE SAME PAGE?!?!?!?!?

Shouldn't be hard with 2 people right???!?!?!?!

Can everyone please be told the same info?!?!

Can specific, repeat questions ever be answered with clear direct answers?!?!!?!

Im so incredibly over the double talk and BS that comes with these devices, continued omission and evasion is a clear form of lying in my view.

Edit: Double checked that indeed every single email, I mention AP mode doesn't work and that AP mode is my use case and my end state.

Edit #2: Armed with refreshed anger and my question finally answered, if indirectly, my Queen is now up and running, such as it is as my temps seem to be just as unstable as everyone else at the moment.

The Hex didn't work on my separate iot guest network, even when my devices I was attempting to use the app on are on the same iot network and subnet. I find this odd because everything else "smart" I have doesn't have any issues with this.

The Hex will function without internet, but at the moment, will not function without a router, nor in its own AP mode beyond the initial wifi setup. Ive confirmed this by connecting to the unit and then physically unplugging my modem from my router and I remain connected and in control while 6 Alexa devices simultaneously yelling at me they are having issues.

Im still all in all pretty upset with this entire experience, had I known things would be in this state, at this point in the future, no way would I have put money down yet and Im really surprised that with few exceptions, this has been presented as a consumer ready, full advertised features functioning product when really it feels like this whole thing has been a beta test/kickstarter. I guess everything needs hype to get it going these days but I REALLY thought thats what the HN-01s were for.

I love, love, LOVE the idea of this device, once its dialed in to even as loose as the 01 is and get the AP mode going, this unit will IMO be THE undisputed overall best controller on the market.......I just don't know how long its going to take to actually get there.

Last edited:

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Few things re: Ligers

re: Glob Mode

The nails are HUGE. They require a longer Glob Mode timer time for sure. We're going to change the value representation to a % instead of specific DEGREE amount, because that's more how it actually works.

Glob Mode is essentially there to up your Peak Temp initially on a Liger as 'pushing them' the way you would with a Quartz Banger doesn't work due to their mass. I like to get the drop about 2/3 of the way through the timer / temp swing. If helps keep up the initial push but makes sure you have power left for it, too. Then the dab itself will help it drop back to around base temp and go back to it.

re: Fluctuating Temps

It was 2 pages back I think but we talked about this a bit. A few good solutions are to: unselect your nail and use Coil Only in the tunings menu. Turning OFF the Steady-State Compensator should also help. Decreasing the KP value in the Advanced Tuning menu should help with fluctuation if it's still an issue.

[Oh, and for the above...I'm sorry if the frustrations have been over a misunderstanding when it comes to the troubleshooting we've been doing. My apologies...but we've been getting to the point of confusion so I guess this kinda...clears a few things up. We received it and will be be responding to your latest e-mail tonight.]

Heatmiser

Is there any reason I can’t go through the set up procedure on my red queen without any coils? I would like to get that done and out-of-the-way while I wait for something to show up. I got tracking notification that one was supposed to ship out to me on Thursday or Friday and USPS is still awaiting the item. I really thought it would have been here today but it looks like it hasn’t even arrived to ship yet! :bang::shrug:

Last edited:
Heatmiser,
Reactions: szai

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
Just how much do you remember from the setup and first use?

...quite a bit tbh, contrary to what people may believe, my memory is excellent. i usually don't forget much if anything, i usually only suffer from 'memory loss' if drinking... cannabis hasn't affected that negatively for me anyways....

...i do not recall the need for the coil having to be plugged in...

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Is there any reason I can’t go through the set up procedure on my red queen without any coils? I would like to get that done and out-of-the-way while I wait for something to show up. I route got tracking notification that one was supposed to ship out to me on Thursday or Friday and USPS is still awaiting the item. I really thought it would have been here today but it looks like it hasn’t even arrived to ship yet! :bang::shrug:
I'm so...so sorry about this, by the way. We thought mail would actually move over the weekend if sent express because Easter isn't actually noted as a mail holiday. :/

You and anyone with stale tracking should get it scanned today as they should be back in the...office? Set up should be fine without it.

EDIT: Though make sure once it's set up that you don't leave the Heater on without a coil. It shouldn't actually cause any issues it's just a good precautionary step to take (and something I'll actually go ahead and test myself, just in case).

EDIT 2: So Liz already has a safety feature for this coded into the next update, apparently. I proposed that the Heater be disabled if no coil is detected (an overlooked 'duh' moment for us) and BAM. Request Granted.

Last edited:

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Coil temp is the big one, set temp just below it, and nail temp is bottom right corner, correct? I just did a test with my Thermocouple to try to get a reading on the temps during one of the ambient temp swings. No dab, just reading the temp.
  • Set point at 490
  • Coil temp reading goes as low as 471 and as high as 520, about +/- 20 degrees
  • Temp reading on the Tehrmocouple goes as low as 425 and as high as 467 (EDIT: my readings were in Kelvin)
  • Calculated Nail temp reads anywhere from 397 and 492
The calculated nail temp doesn't seem very accurate to me, at least not on the 16mm Liger profile I am set to. The coil temp was reading a lot closer to my Thermocouple. And it does appear to be trying to stick to the 490 set point, when the coil temp got down to like 470 and the reading on the Thermocouple was like 492 it ramped itself back up to the point where coil temp was 520 and the Thermocouple reading was 515, it them brought itself back down. This is how it has been fluctuating, I'm going to ask for advice from the support@hex-nail.com see what they think, any user advice on settings/Tunings to try?

After a lot of fiddling and messing around, Ive settled on, my unit at least, seems to have a solid 12 full second lag from the nail to my temp display......doesnt matter if its up or down and is VERY repeatable (used SIC Halo), maybe test this with the thermocouple by capping or otherwise cooling your nail, checking the immediate temp drop from the TC and then start counting until the display temp finally catches up?? also, with this setup at least, the RQ has to be +130 degrees over all my other controllers with this specific coil and nail. To clarify, this is not on a separate nail and coil, this is the exact same coil and nail so there is absolutely no variance other then the controllers. I will also say, with no changes to any settings out of the box, aside from the extra 130 degrees, it hold my SIC Halo very very very stable....all most to the point I think its not being completely honest with its temp readouts.....but more testing is needed to say with confidence if anything is funky or not.

Justpassedu

Hey guys. We’ve had a few people suggesting we come in & update everyone (and we know some folks are getting fed up, too).

I want to start by clarifying the hold up right now: Coils. Our supplier has been essentially doing the same thing to us that we’ve been doing to you. Not giving us exact answers or dates. We paid for the coils weeks ago and while we expected some delay but our previous experience with this vendor was very different (possibly because previous orders were smaller / without custom specced coils).

At this point we have more units being boxed up by the day and everyone is tired of waiting (to put it lightly). So we want to officially invite those of you that already have compatible coils to get in contact with us if you’re okay with receiving your unit ‘coil-free’. Some folks have opted to forgo the coil completely, but if you do want your coil we will ship it to you shortly after they arrive.

Tracking numbers started going out over the weekend and movement should be seen by the end of the day today if you’ve already received one.

———

The OS/2 update for all of our Skynet units is definitely still on the way and close to finished. I know we’ve said this a few times now but Liz wanted to take a second to explain what’s up & why it’s been delayed so close to release.

Liz:

“Our goals for the v2.1 release (aka HN-01 Backport) are as follows:

1. Bring the same brand-new second-generation platform powering the Red Queen models to the HN-01.

2. Allow full control of the HN-01 from the App with complete feature parity.

3. Deliver a system both responsive to the user and computationally performant to ensure longevity.

Only after extended development did we discover that there are minute differences in the manufacturing of supposedly otherwise identical hardware that are significant enough that certain models experienced severe GPU degredation and graphics corruption. Having had to go back to the drawing board for a significant component of the update, we've completely restructured the rendering pipeline, and with the latest firmware we are now seeing high frame-rates and cool CPUs.

This delay with v2.1.0-rc7 was completely unxexepected until we were performing regression testing on our fifth unit; we'll be repackaging the update and will have a GA release at some point this week. (For the curious, the versioning scheme will use odd numbers as the point releases for HN-01's and evens for Red Queens.)”

The HN-01's will be the first with HomeKit integration, as the v2.0.1 release for the RQ-2's will be coming out next.

I hope this covers most of it but if anyone feels like we missed something here let me know...

Any updates please. It was said last week that " we'll be repackaging the update and will have a GA release at some point this week. (For the curious, the versioning scheme will use odd numbers as the point releases for HN-01's and evens for Red Queens.)” I thought it would be done last week, would love to have my Hn-01 updated.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Any updates please. It was said last week that " we'll be repackaging the update and will have a GA release at some point this week. (For the curious, the versioning scheme will use odd numbers as the point releases for HN-01's and evens for Red Queens.)” I thought it would be done last week, would love to have my Hn-01 updated.
She's hard at work on it right now (literally right now I can hear the Brown switches from down the hall) and I'm going to shoot a quick overview vid for y'all tonight on the beta unit we have going. The shipping frenzy slowed us down a bit but we sent an absolute *butt* ton of packages out today.

The other thing to remember guys (and I know it's frustrating to wait) is that we're literally replacing the OS completely with this update. It's HUGE...and we want to be damn sure it'll run properly on the HN-01 because well...we sure as heck don't wanna brick working units.

The update is DONE (and it's awesome). She's basically on the last (but most important) step...Making sure it won't brick your unit while it installs the new OS.

buddingglasshead

(literally right now I can hear the Brown switches from down the hall

Brown's are tactile but don't have aural feedback. She must be mashing away, then. :razz:

The update is DONE (and it's awesome). She's basically on the last (but most important) step...Making sure it won't brick your unit while it installs the new OS.

If you want someone to test it outside of your own environment, I technically have two SD cards so no real chance of me bricking it and wouldn't mind helping out.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I got browns in my KB and pretty sure they can be heard from the hall!

What about RQ update - shouldn't lag too far behind the Skynet update yeah?

muunch,

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...i never did receive any tracking or anything yesterday regarding shipments of coils :cry:

just_the_flu,

Justpassedu

She's hard at work on it right now (literally right now I can hear the Brown switches from down the hall) and I'm going to shoot a quick overview vid for y'all tonight on the beta unit we have going. The shipping frenzy slowed us down a bit but we sent an absolute *butt* ton of packages out today.

The other thing to remember guys (and I know it's frustrating to wait) is that we're literally replacing the OS completely with this update. It's HUGE...and we want to be damn sure it'll run properly on the HN-01 because well...we sure as heck don't wanna brick working units.

Ty for the update Ava, super excited & good luck.

Justpassedu,
Top Bottom