Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
[Whoops.]
Presets are wonky after this update but we mainly wanted to confirm that folks are able to pull updates. We will be fixing this now and it should be a simple fix. We're glad to build out is solid but we'll button up the edges before we go off the grid to manufacture for awhile.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but for those of you without units just know that there are 2 people (minimum) working on assembly at all times now. I refined the wiring schematic and made it much easier for us to assemble these units quickly.

Probably better just to make a new reply instead of an edit so people following the thread get a notification instead of having to F5.

that's actually, if you can believe this, against the forum rules. I got in trouble for something like that.

theoretically, ava could respond as a new reply now that we've responded though. :d

scalescliffs,

Monsoon

that's actually, if you can believe this, against the forum rules. I got in trouble for something like that.

theoretically, ava could respond as a new reply now that we've responded though. :d
Yeah what I meant more for the future, just post the update instead of a "stay tuned" post which you can only edit for 6 hours.

Monsoon,

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
Yeah what I meant more for the future, just post the update instead of a "stay tuned" post which you can only edit for 6 hours.
Yeah its less effective tactic when I pass out before posting the update edits and then lose the end of the message when I groggily click out of the box. :doh:

S86OQoM.png

Sorry guys. These all nighters get me mixed up sometimes. Oh, and I know at least @Monsoon 's replacement unit is in this batch but I'll be sending out info as we pack them for shipment. :tup:

Last edited:

Monsoon

Oh, and I know at least @Monsoon 's replacement unit is in this batch but I'll be sending out info as we pack them for shipment. :tup:
Awesome, looking forward to getting it so I can properly put it through its paces! :clap:

And once you're stocked up on coils I'll probably order a few flat coils since I really liked the one I got. There may be some variances between coils but mine was perfectly flat so it made perfect contact with the Liger and I dropped from 640F to 600F on SiC on my Gimido Omron E5CC e-nail. I also had recently had a D-Nail extended life coil that died in under a year of use and for the same price I could get 2-4 coils from Hex-Nail.

I got into the habit a long time ago of drafting forum posts in notepad (or better yet something with autosave) after one too many went down the internet black hole. FC is pretty good about saving replies for a few days but I guess edits not so much :(.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Are you still working on implementing the sublimator?

Developement should be in progress.

As I noticed before take care of the new XLR mini-connections since 02-01-17!

I dont know but on pics the new version's cable seems to be firmly connected to the monkey controller. Does anybody know more?
So it could be necessary making and offering cables which fit to the HexNail and the heating element too?

May be the new heating element which should be overworked has another performance for which the HexNail has to be optimated too?

Although there will be offered a new digital controller in the nearer future by Sublimator itself, there actually are a lot of Sub-owners who would prefer the HexNail instead.
But therefore its important to offer the Sub-compatible HexNail before release of the digital controller by Sublimator IMHO.

What parts of a Sublimator do you actually need if you have your own glass, and assuming the Sublimator had a dongle from HexNail that would work if there WAS a Sublimator mode?

The heating element and the atomizer?

Hearing the $1000 price of the Sublimator turned me off, but then seeing that those two parts together are about $350 and realizing I have all of the other stuff has me wondering. Would be reason for me to sell my Evo if I could set up a second coil attached to a dry herb specific nail. Switching from dabs to herb could be as easy as an XLR plug and a glass change. Nice.

I do intend on experimenting with the NewVape Flowerpot when I receive my Hex-Nail. I don't know if the Sublimator hype with the scientific talk is sales BS or what, but the Flowerpot is basically the same concept, a ti e-nail for herbs. Could be rad and really extend the functionality of this vape.

Hogni

I dont know but they claim the new heating element has a better performance.,
All you need aside the HexNail are the heating element, the atomizer and something as stand, the original or a custom one if you should already have a stable water piece. You are right just around 350$.
This combi for herbs and connected to the CCA Liger for concentrates.
I guess one of the the cheapest desktop solutions for high end connaisseur delight in both ways.

Monsoon

What parts of a Sublimator do you actually need if you have your own glass, and assuming the Sublimator had a dongle from HexNail that would work if there WAS a Sublimator mode?

The heating element and the atomizer?

Hearing the $1000 price of the Sublimator turned me off, but then seeing that those two parts together are about $350 and realizing I have all of the other stuff has me wondering. Would be reason for me to sell my Evo if I could set up a second coil attached to a dry herb specific nail. Switching from dabs to herb could be as easy as an XLR plug and a glass change. Nice.

I do intend on experimenting with the NewVape Flowerpot when I receive my Hex-Nail. I don't know if the Sublimator hype with the scientific talk is sales BS or what, but the Flowerpot is basically the same concept, a ti e-nail for herbs. Could be rad and really extend the functionality of this vape.
The D-Nail Lotus might be what you're looking for and should work out of the box with the Hex-Nail. I used a Sublimator for awhile and found it made flowers hit like dabs but it was also a bit unwieldy and was a pain to disassemble and keep clean. For taste, a glass vapor path will be much better too compared to stainless steel or titanium.

The D-Nail Lotus might be what you're looking for and should work out of the box with the Hex-Nail. I used a Sublimator for awhile and found it made flowers hit like dabs but it was also a bit unwieldy and was a pain to disassemble and keep clean. For taste, a glass vapor path will be much better too compared to stainless steel or titanium.

I like that - I will check it out.

scalescliffs,
Reactions: mutten840
Newvape has something out to do the same thing. Looks pretty cool.

Yes - the Flowerpot that I referred to.

I will buy one of the two and do own a temp gun, so whenever my unit arrives I will shoot some temps - a Lotus or Flowerpot tuning would be cool. Lotus and Flowerpot seem a lot alike. They both have glass vapor paths, both are ti, etc, etc. I would probably rather have one of those than a Sublimator (they look better, IMO - the weird hemp NewVape vibe kinda goes well with the Hex-Nail's hardwood) and being able to do herb easily would be awesome. The Flowerpot is crazy because you can throw a dab in up top and like, turboboost the bowl and actually vape weed AND dab at the same time - not vape weed with a dab on it.

PoopMachine

New software update today!

I can confirm it fixes cleaning mode and the presets also seem to be fixed. I have found one tiny bug in the web interface but its very trivial.

I heard temperature control was revamped as well but Im sure Ava will stop by at some point with a changelog.

All in all, I give this update 5 dabs out of 5.

herbivore21

The d-nail lotus is fucking incredible. I recommend it to all of you. However, use a 14mm male to 18mm female adapter as the bowl on your rig instead of the stock Lotus glass (buy the heater only and thank me for saving you some cash later ;) ). Now, place an S&B concentrate pad in the bottom of the 14m/18f adapter. Then put a 14/18 reducer inside the 18mm end of the adapter over the concentrate pad to hold it in place. This is your new Lotus bowl which will allow you to vape absolutely anything you can find with the one vape on your rig.

Place your load (flowers, oil, hash, ANYTHING!) on top of the concentrate pad and then attach teh lotus to the 14mm female joint on top of the reducer (it works with the 14mm and doesn't get stuck in the GonG joint like with the stock 18mm bowl glass they give you). Dial in your preferred temp and enjoy the ultimate clouds. Honestly, this is still the best convection vape I've ever used when used in this way (performance with the stock bowl is NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD).

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
New software update today!

I can confirm it fixes cleaning mode and the presets also seem to be fixed. I have found one tiny bug in the web interface but its very trivial.

I heard temperature control was revamped as well but Im sure Ava will stop by at some point with a changelog.

All in all, I give this update 5 dabs out of 5.
Wanted to chime in and update the thread in general on a few things.

Glad to hear the new update is working well so far! I know a few customers have also confirmed most of the glaring issues have been resolved in the (new) current release. We'll have a change log coming later on this one.

There'll be a refactor coming for the code once production and deliveries are caught up that should deal with most of the little nagging things.

Some of the TC logic was fundamentally changed and all of the tunings (when tracking to coil) should be more stable now. The 'advanced' tuning interface should also be more responsive now for those that want to tinker. While there isn't a 'reset' button on these right now you can change the coil/nail combo to reset them (then switch back to your preference).

------

I'll also take this post to go ahead and announce that we're going to be mostly 'off-the-grid' for the next 2 weeks or so.

While we will still check-in please know that we're trying to focus as much as possible on actually delivering backed-up units.

~
All of our current customers that have NOT received a unit should have received an e-mail update regarding this a few days ago.

If you did not receive this e-mail but purchased a unit before 2/15/17 (or are waiting on a replacement), you should be receiving a tracking number by Monday.

Oh, and yes, we're still planning to include Sublimator support down the line.

Kalikron

If you did not receive this e-mail but purchased a unit before 2/15/17 (or are waiting on a replacement), you should be receiving a tracking number by Monday.
This is me and I am so happy to hear it @HexNailAva! So stoked to see that amazing tracking e-mail. I don't think I've anticipated a product so much in quite awhile....thanks for making it possible ladies!
I know I can't wait to use my new @CCA710 Liger 3.0 with these presets; finally ordered my sapphire too....

Hogni

@HexNailAva Sounds great! BTW whats about the possibility for updating offline?

Thanks @herbivore21!

I would like to see a comparison between:

- Sublimator Apollo ti (2.0 and the new version 2017)
- D-Nail Lotus Flower Adapter
- New Vape Flower Pot
- Herborizer ti

They all seem to work in a similar manner. But what are the differences in performance?

I only know the older Sub 2.0. This was the best desktop solution for flowers I've ever tried.

Sorry for OT but I dont actually know a better place. Is there already a discussion about anywhere on FC?

brucee10

@HexNailAva Sounds great! BTW whats about the possibility for updating offline?

Thanks @herbivore21!

I would like to see a comparison between:

- Sublimator Apollo ti (2.0 and the new version 2017)
- D-Nail Lotus Flower Adapter
- New Vape Flower Pot
- Herborizer ti

They all seem to work in a similar manner. But what are the differences in performance?

I only know the older Sub 2.0. This was the best desktop solution for flowers I've ever tried.

Sorry for OT but I dont actually know a better place. Is there already a discussion about anywhere on FC?

I wish there was a place to get together to have a vape jam session. @herbivore21 has me looking at the Lotus now to go with my Sublimator Apollo and oil gear. My 3 complaints with the Sub are when it gets resin baked into the threads, the teflon 14mm adapter is impossible to keep clean and it's always sticky, and the fact that the screens are a pain in the ass. I might try the Lotus glass setup that @herbivore21 mentioned with either my Sub head when I get it back, or my hot air gun as a test. I think a 14m to 24f might fit the Sub heads taper.

HexNailAva

Manufacturer
This is me and I am so happy to hear it @HexNailAva! So stoked to see that amazing tracking e-mail. I don't think I've anticipated a product so much in quite awhile....thanks for making it possible ladies!
I know I can't wait to use my new @CCA710 Liger 3.0 with these presets; finally ordered my sapphire too....
You might want to check your e-mail. :)

Top Bottom