Help Needed with ABV Vodka

greenmynci

Hi All,

I really should have come here first for advice on this, but ... i didn't ! Hoping you can give me your thoughts on what i ended up doing, and what to do next.

About 2 weeks ago I decided to try making cannabis vodka, and added ~40g of ABV (vaped at 190C) to 500ml of Vodka (80 proof). I stored the bottle in a dark cool place, and gave the bottle a shake every couple of days. After 2 weeks were up I strained the resulting brown soup through an Aeropress using a 100 micron mesh filter, and now have a particulate free (but dark brown) solution.

If possible, I'd like to somehow refine/concentrate the solution further somehow - anyone know how this might be done? I did try pushing ~50ml through a .45 micron filter unit but it didn't seems to make a perceptible difference.

greenmynci,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
You can put winterize it (put in the freezer and refilter (i use coffee filters don't know if they are finer than 50 microns.. )

Abysmal Vapor,

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
i'm not sure winterizing it is going to do much in this case as it would say for a run done with a non-polar solvent like butane but it wouldn't hurt to try.

here's a general link to cleaning up extracts.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/getting-the-green-and-waxes-out-afterwards/

it includes a method of cleaning up using a non-polar solvent and ethanol

i'm not sure it's worth it for avb tincture.

to concentrate you can double boil down or use evaporation to reduce the tincture....so the volume of the tincture is reduced increasing the potency.

good luck

greenmynci

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I did try a shot of the Vodka immediately after filtering it, and the taste was .... not the best shall we say !

I then ran it through a Brita water filter a few times , and whilst the taste still isn't great it did seem to mellow it out slightly. I'm still intent on concentrating the solution down though as i didn't seem to get much of a buzz from the shot i tried - if i went down the evaporation route would i lose much/anything as part of the process?

greenmynci,
Reactions: mvapes

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
You should only lose alcohol in the evaporation process. Be careful, if using the double boiler method, not to let it get too hot. Heat can destroy some actives in the tincture.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

Doobrrr

@greenmynci Have you seen the Green Dragon recipe? I used grain alcohol and bud but I'm sure abv would be fine also. I started with a 1/4 of finely ground greenery and 4 oz. of alcohol and ended up with just over an ounce of dark brown/green liquid. I mixed a small amount with my favorite potato vodka and sparkling still with amazing results! Forget that old squeeze of lime!!! So with that being said, I agree with Mom that all you'll lose is the alcohol. And as Mom and Vaporonly said, definitely use the double boiler method. You shouldn't need to worry too much about temp if you were to make it with abv just as long as it doesn't get too hot. You can pick up a candy thermometer at a lot of places to help with that. I'm going to try my next batch with abv. I doubt the taste will be very good but I'm sure I'll find a suitable mixer. An abv Bloody Mary perhaps:cheers:

Doobrrr,
Top Bottom