Help, dropped Mighty into Lake!!

pallfy

I made a mistake of sorts and dropped my mighty into the lake at my cottage.

I immediately pick it up out of the shallow waters, but it was fully submerged for 2 seconds.

Heres how it looks now:
1) Bad: The digital display is a little off, but still reads.
2) Good: the oven still works, it vapes just fine, and the mighty still charges.
3) Bad: for a while the mighty was grumbling a low vibration, even if off, it was just making this weird grumbling noise. I dunno what that was about.

So I know how stupid and careless I've been. But it seems like I dodged a bullet?? Is a mighty really waterproof?

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
I made a mistake of sorts and dropped my mighty into the lake at my cottage.

I immediately pick it up out of the shallow waters, but it was fully submerged for 2 seconds.

Heres how it looks now:
1) Bad: The digital display is a little off, but still reads.
2) Good: the oven still works, it vapes just fine, and the mighty still charges.
3) Bad: for a while the mighty was grumbling a low vibration, even if off, it was just making this weird grumbling noise. I dunno what that was about.

So I know how stupid and careless I've been. But it seems like I dodged a bullet?? Is a mighty really waterproof?

You should not have turned it on.
Submerge it in a bowl of UNCOOKED rice and leave it alone for a few days so the rice can absorb all the moisture.
Hopefully you turning it on did not ruin it.
You can send it to S&B to refurbish. I am sure you will pay a price of some sort.

pallfy

I did turn it on right after and saw it worked, but then I did hold it over heat from camp fire to warm the unit and evaporate moisture for about 10 mins.

Oddly, now its two days after, and the display just started to look normal again.

pallfy,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I did turn it on right after and saw it worked, but then I did hold it over heat from camp fire to warm the unit and evaporate moisture for about 10 mins.

Oddly, now its two days after, and the display just started to look normal again.

The problem is water will corrode the electrical circuits inside the vaporizer. By turning on the vaporizer right after soaking it, you started a chain reaction which will continue to get worse over time.

Source - dumped a liter of water from a shitty water-bottle all over my keyboard (wide mouth - dumped it ALL the fuck out) - I turned off the laptop immediately, removed all the panels and battery and put it in my HOT car for a full day.

Here's where I made the mistake - I turned the laptop on about 18 hours later and it started up fine.... so I shut it back down as a precaution. Few days later the brave soldier failed on me - motherboard died. It was a $700 replacement part (custom ordered touchscreen laptop - $2k machine).

These days I've learned my lesson - if anything get's wet enough to risk soaking the internals, I immediately power down the device, remove any panels if possible, and submerge in rice as soon as possible.

Few weeks back I was biking and a sudden soaker rainstorm DRENCHED me in a matter of minutes - my phone (which was playing pandora while sitting in an armband) was drenched - the speaker was making gargling noises as it tried to play the music. My phone (Galaxy s6) is NOT waterproof and I was freaking out. So I shut her down, and tossed my phone in a bowl of rice for 48 hours while I pulled out a backup phone. Fortunately it seems like my phone survived, but that freaked me out.

MoltenTiger

Phone waterproofing is becoming a standard now, it should be the same for portable vapes...
Water resistance is becoming popular with phones, waterproofing is a 2019 feature when they cover the one remaining PCB with glue and do a better job isolating the buttons.
They will still figure out how to dodge wet warranties.

Isolating a vape is much more difficult than a phone, perhaps. But there are enough o-rings and adhesives in the world to do it.

Is it possible for a user to open a Mighty? It might be a good idea for OP to do so and wipe down the PCBs and any exposed circuitry with a cleaning agent. Though generally speaking a 2 second exposure to assumingly minimally pressurised water is about as best case scenario as water damage can be. Maybe a different kind of matrix action than the mighty is used to did indeed go down that day

pallfy

Should I do that rice thing? its been two days since

Its actually gotten better, the display is no longer discoloured, it looks perfect, maybe water is in the screen and its out, the oven always worked, and the charging works fine. The only thing that concern's me is that weird low grumbling the mighty was making for a hour (even when off) soon after it happened.

pallfy,

kellya86

Herb gardener...

Its actually gotten better, the display is no longer discoloured, it looks perfect, maybe water is in the screen and its out, the oven always worked, and the charging works fine. The only thing that concern's me is that weird low grumbling the mighty was making for a hour (even when off) soon after it happened.

Was your mighty hot at the time if the drop, this could explain the grumbling as water boils off inside a confined space, can cause a range of different noises...

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
The rice would be pretty pointless by this point (but still worth it if you sense any moisture/dampness from the vape). Rice is only good at sucking out moisture, it cant reverse any damage done to the circuits :lol:

If the vape is working now, great that's awesome. How long will it keep working? That's unknown. It could die tomorrow, it could last a year. It could last until the batteries give out.

Personally, I wouldn't use the vape anymore. But if I were to use it, I would never charge it unsupervised again (just in case the battery terminals are corroding)

pallfy

Guys dont laugh or Ill quit cannabis all togehter, cuz apparently its turns ppl into trash.

That grumbling is unexplained, it was hot when this happened, but I dunno if it was boiling off water.

The battery might fail cuz of water damage later on, but is it really gonna explode? Cant it just stop working, this vape has two after all.

Is there any point I can be confident its fine? Its been a few days, I used it a number of times, and drained and charged it back. It all works fine...

Last edited by a moderator:
pallfy,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
but is it really gonna explode
That's really tough to say - likely no, it won't. But if the connections become weak enough due to corrosion, there's no telling what may happen if something starts to arc.

I would use it, but with caution - keep an eye out for anything "strange". If anything strange starts to happen again (hissing noises, smell of smoke, unit is getting HOT somewhere it normally doesn't, etc) - then stop using it.

S&B's answer will most likely be "unit is water damaged, your warranty is void"

pallfy

Thanks for your help guys.

I'll keep it in a tin I guess as a precaution.

I still have faith in the name Mighty. This thing dunked in the lake water and never missed a tick, it may have grumbled in disapproval of its stoner owner (supersilverhaze+hindukush <-- the best), but it actually healed its display and came back to full life, maybe, even, stronger than before. I have a good feeling about this.

Top Bottom