Help choosing my first vaporizer, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstavailable

Hi, first post :-D.

Recently, my friend has bought a vapor genie, and let me try it. I really liked it. Now I am looking into purchasing my first vape. I have read through a lot of information, and have narrowed down my choices to a couple options.

My main criteria is that it must be portable. As a result, I am torn between the Vapor Genie, the Supreme vaporizer, and the i-Inhale.

I like the vapor genie because of its price and the fact that I know it works from experience. The downside is its not at all stealth, and I would rather avoid inhaling butane (or uncombusted carbon) if possible.

I like the Supreme because its heating element is separate from the herb, so no inhaling of fumes, and I like the thermometer. The downside to it is that it is not available locally. I would prefer to be able to buy my vape from a local shop, even if there is a slight price premium. Both the vapor genie and i-Inhale are available locally to me.

I like the i-Inhale because it is very stealth and does not require a lighter to use it. This is really the one that I am leaning towards, but i am still not 100% decided.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If there are other portable models out there, that I might not be ware of, I would be interested in hearing about those as well.

Thanks.

firstavailable,

firstavailable

yes, I have thought about that one, and am still kind of considering it.
It seems similar in concept (but more swiss-watch like) to the vapor genie.

firstavailable,

Beezleb

Here are some portables not listed.

Checkout the magic flight vaporizer as I doubt anyone will look at it and think its for vaping or whatnot.
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=673
http://www.magic-flight.com/

The vaporstar is idea but would require a bong or something extra.
http://www.vaporstar.co.uk/

Their is also the Vapir Oxygen but is reported to have an initial period of plastic taste and breakdown problems, very short warranty.
http://www.gotvape.com/store/vapir.oxygen.vaporizer.php

Hope that helps.

Beezleb,

firstavailable

thank you for those links.

I have looked into the vaporstar and the vapir oxygen. the vaporstar is nice, but seems to be more of an accessory to a bong than a standalone portable. Although i suppose it may be possible to use it by itself in the same sense that a bong downstem may be smoked out by itself of without the bong. However, this is less than ideal. If I was looking for an attachment for a bong, this would certainly be an option, but I am looking for a standalone portable unit.

as far as the vapir, it seems shoddy at best, and possibly even dangerous. Not really what i am looking for.

The magic Flight, I did not even find. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. It is a very interesting concept that I am considering. However, there are some certain drawbacks to the current implementation that I think make it not practical for my purposes. personally, I think it is a very good and interesting concept, but it needs some more development and refinement. It seems like an advanced prototype more than a finished product. I really like the company that makes it, and I will for sure keep an eye on it and follow its development.

I think I am still leaning towards the i-Inhale. i will probably make up my mind some time this week.

Thanks to all for the advice, and please keep it coming.

firstavailable,

The_Algebraist

Dude. For real. If you're going to vaporize that means you're serious about taking you herb consumption up a notch. I wouldn't rely on the Iolite as your ONLY vape. If you can afford an IO, you can totally afford a DBV or SSV. I mean you can't stick it in a jacket pocket, but I did, this past weekend, pack up my SSV in the carry bag it comes with and tossed it into the car and vaped with my brother. It wasn't inconvenient at all.

Then we hit the PD in the car before going to see a film.

The_Algebraist,

firstavailable

I understand what your saying algebrist. I know that the vapor experience would be better with a full size unit. It's not a matter of price though. I don't really smoke in my car, and rarely smoke indoors. Most of my smoking is done outside, where there is no outlet available. So a unit that needs to be pluged in is just not practical for me right now.

That's why these portable units are so atractive to me. Given my smoking habbits, a larger unit is not really an option. The choice is between a protable unit and smoking. Given those choices, a portable unit does not sound too shabby.

For a second vape, i will probably get a nice home unit to use while at home, but for now, the budget only allowes for one.

<edit>
I see from your sig that you have an iolite. What do you think of it?

firstavailable,

firstavailable

thanks vtac. I already read cleardome's thread, and have been meaning to read the other one. 15 pages is a lot :p

firstavailable,

max

Out to lunch
15 pages is a lot
What, you can't spare 30 min. to read our invaluable info? :lol: Don't mention 15 pages as a long thread around here. You won't get much sympathy. Take a look at the Extreme and PD threads. :uhoh:

The Genie is gonna be your cheapest and safest bet for a portable. But the iolite (that name's on the vape now) gives you a vape that you can use in many public places without anyone giving you a 2nd look, especially if you stick it in a drink cup or shirt pocket (pocket isn't really recommended, but it's OK as long as it can 'breathe'). It's easy to add about 6" of tubing for cooling the vapor too. The only unstealthy aspect is the hissing noise when it's heating back up.

I've got all the vapes you're considering and the two above are the ones to consider. The Supreme requires a larger than pocket size torch for effective heating, and the danger of burning yourself with the exposed element or torch isn't worth the bother. This vape had its day, but at $200 in today's market it's now overpriced IMO.

max,

lwien

firstavailable said:
I like the vapor genie because of its price and the fact that I know it works from experience. The downside is its not at all stealth, and I would rather avoid inhaling butane (or uncombusted carbon) if possible.
As long as the lighter is lit, you are not inhaling any butane. Health issues are negligible, in this regard.

firstavailable said:
Does anyone have any suggestions? If there are other portable models out there, that I might not be ware of, I would be interested in hearing about those as well.

Thanks.
The VaporGenie was my first vape and if I had to do it over again, I would get it again. It's been getting a lot of use now, being that my PD is in the shop, and it works great. Not quite as efficient or good tasting as the PD, but as a first vape, for the money, it's pretty hard to beat.

lwien,

firstavailable

thanks for all the help, guys. Much appreciated. I'm pretty much decided on the iolite now, I think. i'm going to read through the thread first, and then make my final decision. I think it will take me more than 30 minutes though :p

The stealth factor realy seems to do it for me. I like the idea of being able to vape in a movie theater. Plus, I often smoke on the beach, and lighting a lighter in the wind is usually a big PITA. With the iolite, this would be eliminated, but the VG would still have this problem. Unless I use a windproof torch, but still.

firstavailable,

firstavailable

so i just finished reading through the iolite thread. i have pretty much decided that this is the vape for me, at least right now in my current situation.

the only thing I am still debating is WHEN I should buy it. i have read through the beta-testing thread, and it seems like the changes are fairly substantial. Is it worth waiting until these changes make it to market, or should i just take the plunge now?

Thought???

firstavailable,

firstavailable

OK, so I finally got my vape on Thursday the 16th. I went with the iolite/i-inhale. The one I got still says i-inhale on it. . I paid $250+tax for it at a local shop. I know I got overcharged a bit, but whatever. I really didn?t want to do the whole online thing.

I will post up my thoughts on the unit in the iolite thread.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input. It was greatly appreciated.

firstavailable,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom