Hell's Angels

lwien

Saw this and it brought back some memories:

http://www.life.com/image/first/in-gallery/47471/never-seen-hells-angels-1965

Back in 1969, I was working at a clothing store in Van Nuys, California called London Britches. Basically sold all kinds of jeans and shirts. I was the manager then and we were just about to close up at close to 9:00pm. I sent the crew home and was just about to lock up the front doors and start closing out the books when I heard this roar of bikes outside and in walked 5 Angels with their girlfriends. I was like, :o , Oh FUCK !! One of them came up to the counter and said, "We need some jeans", so I thought that the LAST thing that I'm going to say is sorry, we're closing, so I just helped them as best I could just like they were any other customer and what totally shocked me was that they were some of the nicest people that I met all day. Laughing, joking around. Just really friendly and nice. They ended up buying a few pair of pants and a few shirts and when they were about to leave, one of the guys leans over the counter, shakes my hand, looks me straight in the eyes, and says, "Thanks man" and hands me a few pieces of windowpane (acid) on the way out.

Memories like this are priceless when they come up. Haven't thought about this in decades, but when I saw those pics, it was like yesterday.

lwien,
lwien said:
Saw this and it brought back some memories:

http://www.life.com/image/first/in-gallery/47471/never-seen-hells-angels-1965

Back in 1969, I was working at a clothing store in Van Nuys, California called London Britches. Basically sold all kinds of jeans and shirts. I was the manager then and we were just about to close up at close to 9:00pm. I sent the crew home and was just about to lock up the front doors and start closing out the books when I heard this roar of bikes outside and in walked 5 Angels with their girlfriends. I was like, :o , Oh FUCK !! One of them came up to the counter and said, "We need some jeans", so I thought that the LAST thing that I'm going to say is sorry, we're closing, so I just helped them as best I could just like they were any other customer and what totally shocked me was that they were some of the nicest people that I met all day. Laughing, joking around. Just really friendly and nice. They ended up buying a few pair of pants and a few shirts and when they were about to leave, one of the guys leans over the counter, shakes my hand, looks me straight in the eyes, and says, "Thanks man" and hands me a few pieces of windowpane (acid) on the way out.

Memories like this are priceless when they come up. Haven't thought about this in decades, but when I saw those pics, it was like yesterday.

Ha, great story, especially how it ended.

Try to read Hells Angels by Hunter Thompson if you can ever get a copy. Paints a very interesting dichotomy of the gang, between reasonable and responsible human beings and drug and hatred fueled animals. For years the HAs supposedly used to stop and help any stranded motorists (mostly in a mechanical capacity since they typically know their stuff), and ended up scaring the living hell out of alot of people before helping them out.

charliedontsurf,

Choism

Great story, Iwien. I lived in van nuys for 7 years, On random nights, I would see 20-30 of them cruising van nuys blvd and posting up at Arby's.

Choism,

return2heaven

The Hells Angels of today are still a bunch of great people. just dont fuck with em and they wont fuck with you!
i used to live on East 3rd St. in NYC which is where the NYC chapter clubhouse is located and i must say, they take great care of the neighborhood and it's residents. some of the nicest people i've ever met...

return2heaven,

Purple-Days

The Hell's Angels are currently involved in a lawsuit. Yes, the Hell's Angels (legal team) are suing several folks for using the 'Skull and Wings' logo on clothes and jewelery. Some dumbass 'artist' thought it would be OK to use the Angels symbol for his own profit. Then some dumbass corporations thought, yeah what a great idea we will make a fortune. Thieving dumbasses. :cool:

I was reading the Altamont / Angels 'rest of the story' the other day.. the part the media doesn't remember to tell you. The idiot who was killed by an Angel was high as fuck on Meth and had a loaded gun, threatening people. The Angel, there as security, knifed the bastard. The judged aquitted the Angel, who's life was in danger from this gun toting speed freak, justifiable homicide. They always forget to mention that part . :2c:

Purple-Days,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Try to read Hells Angels by Hunter Thompson if you can ever get a copy. Paints a very interesting dichotomy of the gang, between reasonable and responsible human beings and drug and hatred fueled animals. For years the HAs supposedly used to stop and help any stranded motorists (mostly in a mechanical capacity since they typically know their stuff), and ended up scaring the living hell out of alot of people before helping them out.

I am sure we have a lot of HST Gonzo head's on this board. Love that book, probably my second favorite by HST next to The Rum Diary. Good beer too!

IAmKrazy2,

Plotinus

I also immediately thought of the book when reading this. HST's very best, in my opinion, far better than Fear and Loathing.

I always particularly loved how frank he was about his own fear of the Angels, talking about sleeping in his car with the doors locked etc. He could have used that book to brag about how brave he was, or how stupid and paranoid the mass media was...and he did that a bit, I suppose. But overall he's so even-handed.

Plotinus,
Top Bottom