Harsh throat hits from terp separation?

hibeam

alpha +
I am still testing out a vape pen with button battery, 510 thread, and variable flow cart, with distillate THC cut with only added terps. Initially the throat/lung and even mouth hits were so bad I suspected some malfeasance, and I set the pen aside to have it tested later. In the meantime I used a Ccell pen preloaded with a high CBD ratio oil that hit harsh but was not intolerable, from the same vertically integrated dispenary/producer/grower.

I wanted to try to reuse the first cart with distillate I knew from experience as being on the un-harsh side, so before I got a blunt tip syringe, I took some mouth hits off the bad pen to see how quickly it went through material. What I discovered is over time the vapor tasted less harsh and was finally usable by inhaling mouth hits, and the effects were satisfactory.

I am sure I did not change in sensitivity level because of the obvious taste change. Did the re-added terps separate out so all I was getting was pure terp hits? OW! Do you know how bad pure pinene and caryophellene oil taste/feel?

hibeam,

ceegarnut

Who mixed your distillate and who's Terps did you use/how much? Authentic Terps are very strong and if you mix too much in, can cause your throat issues. Some people also sell "terp" products that are not 100% organic terpenes. Some add PG, which really gets my throat sore.

hibeam

alpha +
This is a pre-loaded pen advertised as pure distillate cut only with re-added terps, from a dispensary in a highly regulated medical state, FL. It is just very odd that the first dozen or so hits were like inhaling straight alcohol, but then this effect was almost suddenly much less fume-y.

hibeam,

hibeam

alpha +
that is NOT a good sign.
For me, the pen, the dispo, all patients...this is not a good sign. We are legally limited to device purchases approved by our DOH, haha. Will this kind of quality issue only get worse? Maybe other states had quality issues UNTIL the number of sellers increased. Oh well, I can get good flower legally and I prefer to stick to that and dance around the stupid pods, but I would be looking for decent 16 CBD to 1 THC vaping.

hibeam,

ceegarnut

I was at the Harborside Oakland dispensary a couple of weeks ago and found a 20:1 CBD pen made by AC/DC and I loved it. That is what I am trying to recreate for myself, less the 3% THC that was in the AC/DC cartridge. Price for 500mg was $50 plus the outrageous taxes.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
For me, the pen, the dispo, all patients...this is not a good sign. We are legally limited to device purchases approved by our DOH, haha. Will this kind of quality issue only get worse? Maybe other states had quality issues UNTIL the number of sellers increased. Oh well, I can get good flower legally and I prefer to stick to that and dance around the stupid pods, but I would be looking for decent 16 CBD to 1 THC vaping.

good luck, sorry you're in a backward state :(

CA had a lot of people making product, including concentrate... what you received sounds like someone producing it in their kitchen or garage :( If it's an ethanol solvent based solution, then it should be purged properly, just like someone making a concentrate with butane, you better know what you're doing and purge it correctly, or somewhere someone is going to get sick on Hexane and sue your ass as a producer and you WILL be liable (unless the state colludes and gives you cover).

I don't know for sure about currently, but AC/DC is about 20:1 ratio, but not in all grows (the phenotypes are fickle)... had 0.75% THC present.

looney2nz,
Reactions: hibeam

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
I was at the Harborside Oakland dispensary a couple of weeks ago and found a 20:1 CBD pen made by AC/DC and I loved it. That is what I am trying to recreate for myself, less the 3% THC that was in the AC/DC cartridge. Price for 500mg was $50 plus the outrageous taxes.

3%THC is actually not bad, especially if you're getting say 21% CBD, works a little better on pain, but you don't really feel altered. I pay $45 for 1ml syringe of clean CO2 oil. Because of the frenzy around CBD, I think folks have been soaking us for whatever they can get... one of the CBD products I'd used I've seen double in price in the last 6 months (now about $120 for 1ml) :( Lot of snake oil in the CBD marketplace too, not helping the re-entry of industrial hemp and medical cannabis in America :(

ceegarnut

3%THC is actually not bad, especially if you're getting say 21% CBD, works a little better on pain, but you don't really feel altered. I pay $45 for 1ml syringe of clean CO2 oil. Because of the frenzy around CBD, I think folks have been soaking us for whatever they can get... one of the CBD products I'd used I've seen double in price in the last 6 months (now about $120 for 1ml) :( Lot of snake oil in the CBD marketplace too, not helping the re-entry of industrial hemp and medical cannabis in America :(
The CBD content was around 60%. I did like the 3% THC, but I’m trying to stay “legal” here in Texas. This is for my wife to use throughout the day...

TomBstoned

I am still testing out a vape pen with button battery, 510 thread, and variable flow cart, with distillate THC cut with only added terps. Initially the throat/lung and even mouth hits were so bad I suspected some malfeasance, and I set the pen aside to have it tested later. In the meantime I used a Ccell pen preloaded with a high CBD ratio oil that hit harsh but was not intolerable, from the same vertically integrated dispenary/producer/grower.

I wanted to try to reuse the first cart with distillate I knew from experience as being on the un-harsh side, so before I got a blunt tip syringe, I took some mouth hits off the bad pen to see how quickly it went through material. What I discovered is over time the vapor tasted less harsh and was finally usable by inhaling mouth hits, and the effects were satisfactory.

I am sure I did not change in sensitivity level because of the obvious taste change. Did the re-added terps separate out so all I was getting was pure terp hits? OW! Do you know how bad pure pinene and caryophellene oil taste/feel?
You can get excellent cbd isolate online $20 a hram and vape it strait/w bud or make an eliquid easily. Its what I do.

TomBstoned,

ceegarnut

You can get excellent cbd isolate online $20 a hram and vape it strait/w bud or make an eliquid easily. Its what I do.
I mixed 1g of CBD isolate in MCT oil to make 10ml of solution to make vape. The thin liquid leaked through my G3 cartridges so I went to a G1 cartridge with a wick, which almost completely stopped the leaking. Still trying to figure out how some mfrs can make 250mg pens. I can’t get that concentration without recrystalization. My guess is I can’t use MCT because of super-saturation. Any thoughts?

ceegarnut,
Top Bottom