hanging lake trail in colorado(56k beware, lots o pics)

tokinGLX

yesterday we took a trip up to hanging lake and brought along the camera.
it is a 1.2 mile trek with spectacular views along the whole way.

the trail is in the glenwood canyon, about 150 miles west of denver. there is no westbound i70 access to it- you have to go just past it to exit 121(grizzly creek) immediately get back onto eastbound i70 and then go to exit 125.
just as there is no westbound entrance there is no immediate eastbound onramp to i70, you have to go west a few miles to the grizzly lake ramp to get headed back east towards denver.

the lake itself is well worth the trip, it is crystal clear and the very definition of serene.

near the top is a side trail that takes you around the back and above hanging lake to the waterfall that feeds it called spouting rock. we one-upped this by taking an almost trail looking pathway that was at the base of hanging lake that led to the VERY top, far above spouting rock with hanging lakes pristine water just barely visible. after taking a quick break here we noticed a path that went to the edge of the spouting rock waterfall. unforutunately, there is no way that we saw to get from the top of the waterfall down to the base (not to say one doesnt exist, but it was starting to get late at that time so our adventuring for the day was coming to an end) without backtracking, so we went back down the very steep very loose footing way we came and followed the set path to spouting rock.

enough words for now, on to the pictures!

the trail along the way
hltrail1.jpg

hltrail4.jpg

hltrail2.jpg

hltrail7.jpg

hlpana.jpg

hlpana1.jpg

hlpana2.jpg

hltrail3.jpg

hltrail6.jpg

hltrail5.jpg

hanging lake in all her glory
hl1.jpg

hl2.jpg

hl3.jpg

hl4.jpg

fishes in the lake
hlfish.jpg

hlfish2.jpg

at the top of the lake
hltop.jpg

hltop1.jpg

hltop2.jpg

hltop3.jpg

hltop4.jpg

hltop5.jpg

hltop6.jpg

hltop7.jpg

hltop8.jpg

hltop9.jpg

at the base of spouting rock
hlsr.jpg

hlsr2.jpg

hlsr3.jpg

hlsr4.jpg

hlsrbottom.jpg

hlsrbottomout.jpg

a shot from the bottom, looking at the top of the waterfall and at the rock at the very top.
hlsrlookingattop.jpg

from the edge of the waterfall
hlsredge.jpg

hlsredge1.jpg

and from the rock at the very top, first looking down at the spouting rock base and then looking at hanging lake
hlsrtop.jpg

hlsrtoplookathl.jpg

tokinGLX,

Durden

I am Jack's title
Awesome pictures, makes me want to get out some hiking gear and head into the woods. :cool:

Durden,

rotax

Zaporist
sweet. i should really get out in the mtns during the summer months sometime. :)

rotax,
Top Bottom