Halotherapy by using salt water in the bong?

Hi - ok i know this may sound crazy but hear me out.

Halotherapy, also known as salt therapy, is a type of alternative therapy that involves breathing in salt-infused air in a controlled environment. This therapy is based on the belief that salt has natural antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties that can help alleviate respiratory and skin conditions.

During halotherapy, the patient sits or lies in a room that has been specially designed to provide a salt-infused environment. This can be achieved through the use of a halogenerator, which grinds salt into tiny particles and disperses them into the air. The patient inhales the salt particles into their respiratory system, which is believed to help clear mucus, reduce inflammation, and improve breathing.

Halotherapy can be performed in various settings, including spas, wellness centers, and clinics. It is often used to treat respiratory conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, and allergies, as well as skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.

so i always get really phlegmy from bongs and i had been using mine dry recently. i still get asthma from the volcano but i decided to try salt therapy. i was looking at a proper halo therapy machine but they're expensive and i was looking at the himalayan salt inhalers but theyre not medical at all.

so i decided to make a 3% saline solution and use it as bong water. it makes sense that it would aerosolise the salt a bit. (3% was the figure i could find that was used for inhaled salt therapy)

so using it all night and i have noticeably less asthma.and less phlegm. and my frog in throat is gone and i can breathe deeper.

i know this is way too soon to say but can any of you please give this a go and let me know if you also notice benefits?

clinical data seems to support it. i feel lots clearer. id love to know if im on to something

Varden

This is a great idea.

Plus, apart from the halotherapy effects, putting salt in your bong water will keep the water more disinfected. The water in the bong gets moody with organic matter and heated, which basically turns it into a culture of micro organisms, that you end up inhaling into your lungs. Salt being a natural and strong disinfectant will keep your water a lot more healthy for your lungs.

I do not use the bong often, but when I do, I'll be adding salt.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Sounds good. I have a bottle of supposedly very clean off-shore sea water that I actually bought from a "health foods" shop. I will start using it in the bubbler. I don't have asthma but the salt should help keep the water fresh for longer too and the water being from the sea should add some good natural vibes, for peace, man.

florduh

Would that Himalaya salt they sell without added iodine work? If not, where does one get pure salt?

I think so. You just don't want iodine or any nasty caking agents present in regular white table salt.

Stores also sometimes sell little packets of sterile salt for Neti pots.

florduh,

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Pure sea salt from any good food store- pretty good for cooking too ....
There are some rumours about pollutants in "Himalayan salt"- related to Chinese production lines. Haven't checked them. Probably irrelevant in this case!

Haze Mister,
Reactions: Varden

florduh

wouldn't salt rob even more actives than water already does?

Way beyond my chemistry knowledge. Water itself is a solvent. Salt water...probably a little more so? But most of the goodies-grabbing aspects will be from the water itself.

badbee

Way beyond my chemistry knowledge. Water itself is a solvent. Salt water...probably a little more so? But most of the goodies-grabbing aspects will be from the water itself.
Actually less so. The more things you dissolve in water the less it will tend to dissolve more things. It's a little more acidic which can affect some chemistries. That's why pure distilled water isn't recommended for bongs, it will steal half your vapor. If you run distilled water through machines not designed for it it will eat your seals and gaskets.

I've been using distilled water to keep my bong nice and clean... and to prevent hard water buildup from using tap water.

I had thought this was a recommended approach, but now I'm not certain. I suppose it's a tradeoff... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Would distilled water vs tap water make a difference for a saline solution?

random_developer,
Reactions: JCat

GoldenBud

It's a little more acidic which can affect some chemistries
If you add NaCl to water it will not change the pH, because Na+ is a weak base conjugate, and Cl- is a weak acid conjugate..
the Water will be around pH=7~ (for "mineral water" the pH is slightly above 7, for distilled water it's pH=7)

adding NaCl to water will break the hydrogen bongs between H2O molecules... and maybe can clear some mucus of the sinuses/lungs... idk.. never tried it, but don't have an accurate answer if it's recommended or not. still researching it.

@random_developer distilled water in a bong is a better choice because mold can't live in these water.

"
That's why pure distilled water isn't recommended for bongs, it will steal half your vapor.
"

how did you find that out? sounds weird to me, sorry

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
Reactions: JCat

Varden

@random_developer distilled water in a bong is a better choice because mold can't live in these water.

I'm not sure that's true, because once you start vaping you add organic matter to the water and will develop mold. So adding salt sounds like a better solution, since salt is disinfectant.

"
That's why pure distilled water isn't recommended for bongs, it will steal half your vapor.
"

how did you find that out? sounds weird to me, sorry

I think his idea is that because the water is already saturated, it will absorb less into dilution. Not sure how true that will be in practice, but sounds very possible, although hard to test.

Varden,

GoldenBud

I'm not sure that's true, because once you start vaping you add organic matter to the water and will develop mold. So adding salt sounds like a better solution, since salt is disinfectant.
mold still can't live in these water, mold needs some concentration of minerals to live (inorganic molecules)
I think his idea is that because the water is already saturated, it will absorb less into dilution. Not sure how true that will be in practice, but sounds very possible, although hard to test.
the mineral content (plus the fur in the water) is a very small amount in the tap water.. around 150mg per liter (1 liter of water= 1000gr=100,000mg) .. 0.015%.. it's not saturated

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
About 30 minutes ago, I followed a standard saline solution ratio and added a couple teaspoons oh himalayan salt to just over 1 liter of distilled water.

Apparently saline solution from distilled water starts to grow bacteria after 2 weeks (4 weeks if in fridge), so I'll probably swap the bong water a few times over the next couple weeks to use it up... which will be more often than normal, and that'll impact any results I see.

... Hoping to see some effects of halotherapy, and an even cleaner bong experience.

random_developer,
Reactions: Varden

Varden

mold still can't live in these water, mold needs some concentration of minerals to live (inorganic molecules)

When you are dirtying the water with the vapor, you are not only putting in organic matter, that was just me writing quick, you are putting all kinds.

That said, using distilled water with added salt is probably the safest solution because that makes sure you are not inhaling any impurity that might be in tab or even drinking water, although not sure how dangerous using drinking water would be or if we are starting to go into ridiculous territory.

the mineral content (plus the fur in the water) is a very small amount in the tap water.. around 150mg per liter (1 liter of water= 1000gr=100,000mg) .. 0.015%.. it's not saturated

The other poster was not referring to tab water, but to water saturated with salt.

Varden,

cptofnthng

How about using a saline vaporizer Like the pariboy after/before a session and stick to normal water? It helped my allergies tremendously and also reduced the days of Symptoms with a Sinusitis or a Common cold for me.

cptofnthng,
I am still trying it, fwiw. After using saline solution for a couple weeks, I went to tap water, and then back to saline solution.

I didn't really notice any difference in how high I was getting. Though stashes were changing, so that's always a factor. I did notice that regular water got dirtier & cloudier and that my bong didn't stay as clean. I went back to saline solution, and the bong and water are better maintained. Less build-up on the glass elbow at the base of the whip. And this is likely just anecdotal, but I do believe I felt the action was most harsh with regular water.

I was using just distilled water before, and I recall the saline solution was cleaner than that as well.

I do think that in any case, it's most important to change the water frequently.

I am still trying it, fwiw. After using saline solution for a couple weeks, I went to tap water, and then back to saline solution.

I didn't really notice any difference in how high I was getting. Though stashes were changing, so that's always a factor. I did notice that regular water got dirtier & cloudier and that my bong didn't stay as clean. I went back to saline solution, and the bong and water are better maintained. Less build-up on the glass elbow at the base of the whip. And this is likely just anecdotal, but I do believe I felt the action was most harsh with regular water.

I was using just distilled water before, and I recall the saline solution was cleaner than that as well.

I do think that in any case, it's most important to change the water frequently.
i really cant disagree with this at all. i think changing the water frequently is a great an essential idea. ive certainly felt that its the most harsh with regular water for sure as well.

i dont enjoy the sensation of warm water, but ive found that after doing this since my original post, i have had way less phlegm and asthma compared to previous months.

with regular water, it seems dirty after the first session - that line around the waterline. its just gone with saltwater

i really appreciate you giving it a go :)

eodrambo

I created an account to just to post in this thread.

I just switched to using a water pipe with my mighty+ (is amazing, 100% recommend) So I can't exactly speak to the difference from smoke to vapor just yet in terms of cleanliness for your piece/ taste
But I have been a long time smoker through my water pipe, I smoke pretty regularly. 1-2 bowls / day (1-2 grams of bud) , and these have been my experiences with different things to put in the water of your piece.

my complaint with my water pipe is that its so hard to clean, it has like 4 chambers. ugh! So I've been on the look out for something to make the cleaning process easier. So far - I've tried Warm Water, Lemon/Lime Water. I'm currently giving saltwater a go.

Warm Water
It was about the same as tap water, after 1-2 days growth started accumulating, so it was time to give it a clean. - call that the base line for measurement

Lemon Water/ Lime Water -
1st - The taste, it adds a lemony / limey taste to your hits, depending on your strain this can be a really cool additive.
2nd - The color - its this milky yellow or green tinted water. looks weird. Might be cool under a blacklight 🤷‍♂️
3rd - What I really cared about, The cleaning!
This really changed the game. It lasted 5-7 days each before it changed color and got darker, meaning it needed a change. The best part - almost no growth / buildup on the pipe. there was a small amount of what looked like "juice residue" after dumping the water out, but that washed right out with water through the pipe with a rinse.

Currently trying salt water to see how that changes things, I'll try to remember to update here with my results!

vapviking

Old & In the Way

I just switched to using a water pipe with my mighty+ (is amazing, 100% recommend) So I can't exactly speak to the difference from smoke to vapor just yet in terms of cleanliness for your piece/ taste
But I have been a long time smoker through my water pipe, I smoke pretty regularly. 1-2 bowls / day (1-2 grams of bud) , and these have been my experiences with different things to put in the water of your piece.

my complaint with my water pipe is that its so hard to clean, it has like 4 chambers. ugh! So I've been on the look out for something to make the cleaning process easier. So far - I've tried Warm Water, Lemon/Lime Water. I'm currently giving saltwater a go.

Warm Water
It was about the same as tap water, after 1-2 days growth started accumulating, so it was time to give it a clean. - call that the base line for measurement

1st - The taste, it adds a lemony / limey taste to your hits, depending on your strain this can be a really cool additive.
2nd - The color - its this milky yellow or green tinted water. looks weird. Might be cool under a blacklight 🤷‍♂️
This really changed the game. It lasted 5-7 days each before it changed color and got darker, meaning it needed a change. The best part - almost no growth / buildup on the pipe. there was a small amount of what looked like "juice residue" after dumping the water out, but that washed right out with water through the pipe with a rinse.

Currently trying salt water to see how that changes things, I'll try to remember to update here with my results!
Welcome tp FC!
Two things to interject.
Lots of folks use cranberry juice extract added to water, to help keep it cleaner and easier to clean.

Second is kinda off-topic, but...
A lot of us here like vaping through water piece dry. Much less flavor loss, still the cooling effect from just the glass (and the lenthening of the vapor path).

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep

Warm Water

This is an interesting thread. I never knew I needed to change my bong water often though it makes total sense now!
I also have asthma and it's been getting worse lately and I always buy himalayan salt to eat and cook with so I will try sprinkling some salt into filtered tap water and adding that to my Solo 2 bubbler and my bong.

As to cleaning a bong with chambers, I guess if it's big it might use too much, but for my bubbler and small bong I just use alcohol to clean the resin out. I put some in and shake it around to get into the dirty parts. Over and over again, kinda slow and labor intensive but it worked well on my bubbler.
Is that a bad method for some reason? I rinse it well with hot water after and dry it out with a hair dryer.

will make some salt water today and start trying it and report back here. Thanks to the OP for the idea.

MoeOnTheMoon,
Top Bottom