Green Dragon - simmering vs. long-term extraction?

Longbones

So I'm interested in making Green Dragon with my vapeweed, but this guide: http://boards.cannabis.com/concentrates/82380-definitive-green-dragon-revised-updated-combined.html says to simmer it.

Will just soaking the ABV in alcohol achieve the same effect, given enough time? (basic chemistry tells me yes...) Also, how long should I soak it to be sure I've extracted nearly all of the actives? I've heard different things (2 weeks to 3 months)...

Last, if I'm just soaking should I use more alcohol? 2 oz/3.5g seems like very little to me (esp. when half of it evaporates off). I have ~9-10g of vaped cannabis.

Longbones,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I've only made green/golden dragon twice, both heated, but here's my :2c:

I'd assume you will be able to achieve the same result with time, but I'm not sure how long.

as for the volume, to a certain extent, you could use however much you want, and just evap off the rest, but it depends on what you are starting with.

if you are using bacardi 151, then there is still 24.5% of stuff that isn't alcohol (water, sugars etc.) which may not evap out, and just get concentrated in to the mix.

I just used enough to cover the bud, which worked out to be roughly 1 "shot" per 1g of fresh herb (thats at the end, probably 50% evapped off before that).

Do you mind if I ask why you don't want to do a heated extraction?

It's far quicker, and still safe if you are smart about it (well ventilated area, no open flames - so no gas stove :disgust: etc)

Aside from that, I hope someone else can give you the exact info you need.

Frederick McGuire,

Longbones

I'm a college student, so I don't really have access to a kitchen to do this—otherwise I'd definitely be using the short and easy method :p

Thanks for your information, definitely a couple things in there that I'm going to keep in mind.

Longbones,

djonkoman

I made it once with a methjod in between, I took a ceramic plantpot, and an empty liquorbottle(also ceramic btw)
put some sambucca(for strong taste) and abv in the bottle, and filled the pot with warm tapwater, refreshed the water with new warm water sometimes and let it sit for a few days, also shook it regularly. worked very well, no idea tough if I got everything out of the abv

(I also can't do the quick method, only have access to a gas stove)

djonkoman,
Top Bottom