GREAT new study......

lwien

I have no idea if this has been posted here before. If so, would the mods please delete. If not, I suggest that everyone read this. Most studies are pretty old but this one has just recently been published.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0147286

Gotta thank and give credit to @reklaw420, a new member that just joined today that posted up another link that referenced the study above.

George1151

First thing when I started reading the study is that they used 210C as the baseline to do the test in the different vaporizers. That would be the highest settings on each of the machines (plus all the ones they didn't test). I never vaporize at temps that high and I doubt if many/any of us FC folks do either.

So who is right, highest temps on vaporizer vs lower temps. Can't imagine that the highest temps are used much by FCers are we all doing it wrong? Or is the study flawed. Would like to know before I start cranking. I usually use my Haze at temp 1 bumped up to 2 and occasionally 3 but things get pretty harsh at the high temp end of things.

Last edited:
George1151,

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
First thing when I started reading the study is that they used 210C as the baseline to do the test in the different vaporizers. That would be the highest settings on each of the machines (plus all the ones they didn't test). I never vaporize at temps that high and I doubt if many/any of us FC folks do either.

So who is right, highest temps on vaporizer vs lower temps. Can't imagine that the highest temps is used much by FCers are we all doing it wrong? Or is the study flawed. Would like to know before I stark cranking. I usually use my Haze at temp 1 bumped up to 2 and occasionally 3 but things get pretty harsh at the high temp end of things.
Temps are only one aspect of the equation: herb load distance from the heat source is another, as is the strain, cure, and moisture content of the load. Also draw strength, stem design and material, as well as ambient temperature and vape unit temp equilibrium. Every vape produces it's own "vape signature" re flavor, harshness, smoothness, etc., etc.,. Explore to find your sweet spot... too many variables to settle on a single conclusion. Me, I usually use very high temps for quick on-the-go flash vape sessions. It may not be the very best for flavor, but that's not my main objective - that said, I still enjoy the toasty flavors.

Last edited:

herbivore21

Either myself or somebody else shared this one a while back somewhere here actually lol

Interesting study though!

herbivore21,

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
I liked this the first time around. You aren't getting more likes out of me!!

Well I took a second look and spotted this for the plenty testing:

As soon as the temperature was exceeding 205°C the vacuum pump was switched on and the aspiration performed for 3 min at a continuous flow with the vacuum controller set to 420 mbar, followed by 1 min at 100 mbar

Who takes 3 min continuous hits? Can the heater even keep up with that? Not exactly the same as a series of X second hits where the heater can catch up in between. This could be why a conduction (solo) vape looks so good on paper- The heater can keep up. I prefer convection though.

Vaked420

I read this and was like, huh, theres like no details or anything to back this up...then I realized I only read the abstract...lol

Vaked420,
Reactions: lwien

herbivore21

interesting ride.

can't read full article, cliffs?
In scholarly publications, each article will come with an 'Abstract' which is free to all to read. An abstract is a summary of the methods and findings of a given study (basically what you asked for when you mention 'cliffs'). For yourself and the benefit of anyone who doesn't want to click through to the link, the abstract for the article in the OP is as follows:

"Inhalation by vaporization is a promising application mode for cannabis in medicine. An in vitrovalidation of 5 commercial vaporizers was performed with THC-type and CBD-type cannabis. Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry was used to determine recoveries of total THC (THCtot) and total CBD (CBDtot) in the vapor. High-performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array detection was used for the quantitation of acidic cannabinoids in the residue and to calculate decarboxylation efficiencies. Recoveries of THCtot and CBDtot in the vapor of 4 electrically-driven vaporizers were 58.4 and 51.4%, 66.8 and 56.1%, 82.7 and 70.0% and 54.6 and 56.7% for Volcano Medic®, Plenty Vaporizer®, Arizer Solo® and DaVinci Vaporizer®, respectively. Decarboxylation efficiency was excellent for THC (≥ 97.3%) and CBD (≥ 94.6%). The gas-powered Vape-or-Smoke™ showed recoveries of THCtot and CBDtot in the vapor of 55.9 and 45.9%, respectively, and a decarboxylation efficiency of ≥ 87.7 for both cannabinoids. However, combustion of cannabis was observed with this device. Temperature-controlled, electrically-driven vaporizers efficiently decarboxylate inactive acidic cannabinoids and reliably release their corresponding neutral, active cannabinoids. Thus, they offer a promising application mode for the safe and efficient administration of medicinal cannabis."

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
For me this sums up as 'Man, am I glad I got a Solo' .... because of these quotes from the article:
- "The highest recoveries were obtained with Arizer Solo®"
- "The relatively simple design of the device consisting of smooth surfaces and inert materials such as metal and glass may be responsible for the high yield."
- "Best recoveries were obtained for the Arizer Solo® with 70.0–82.7%. The better the recovery the less drug (cannabis or cannabinoids) is needed to deliver a defined therapeutic dose to a patient. This is an economic issue in terms of cost-effectiveness of the therapy with medicinal cannabis".

Now...where did I leave my Solo......

EDIT: Wish they had included the EVO.....

George1151

The implication from the study is that vaping at the highest temps (before combustion) will give you the highest concentrations of THC (and CBD it seems). What is doesn't say is if vaping at these high temps is better for relieving medical symptoms. If the objective is to consume a certain amount of THC/CBD then using a lower temp just means you have to pack your bowl more full or vape more.

Lower temps sure are a lot easier on the throat and lungs and you would think would be more healthy.

So this study raises more questions than it answers. If the development of life saving antibiotics has almost ground to a halt because drug companies do not find it profitable to develop them, it is hard to imagine mj being studied and developed as "real" medicine given that anybody can grow it themselves.

Would not surprise me if the research into the benefits and/or perils of using mj continues to be almost non existent.

George1151,
Top Bottom