Grasshopper AC Adapter Kit (and 18650)

Baron23

@lazylathe I will see what we can do, the metal is pretty thin already so I am not sure how much of a difference it would make. If the slotted adapter works out that will be much easier for everyone I think.

Anyways, here is my official video on how I have been installing the adapter for anyone who has been having trouble or has concerns about difficulty.

Hi Max - thanks. I will note, however, that the pen clip in your vid was already bent well up in order to clear the cable.

On both of my GHs, and most everybody else based on comments about scratching their bodies, the clip on the back end is much closer to the body to the extent that it scratches the body a bit when putting on/off the BE.

I would hazard a guess...but hard to see with all the tape....that the pen clip in @vapeverythingnyc 's clip looks like it has a good bit more clearance that as normally shipped by Hopper.

I wish mine installed that easily.

Again, bending up a clip a bit is no problem for me at all.

But I do hope the slotted version works well as it still looks like a PIA to put on an off and if one wants to frequently change from AC to battery then I can see issues.

Anyhow, just waiting for you guys to clear up the thread problem and I'm looking forward to putting my adapter to good use with my GH. I know you are working hard and fast on a solution for those of us having issues.

Cheers

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@Lahey we are still shipping units every day, but due to our re-arranged working situation it is essentially just me and one other person doing assembly and it is going much slower than anticipated.

@Baron23 we have received 4 backends from customers who experienced threading issues, including the one from @ChooChooCharlie. So far we have not found one that we do not have a working insert for, we have found a few that had a little rough threading but tossed those out.

I will be sending you another insert tomorrow, so if you really do have one with incompatible threads we haven't seen one yet as I hope it was just a bad lot in our batch. We will need to collect it from you if the replacement insert still does not fit for you.

On another note, because the Carbon51 cable was so popular we had to order a lot more of it and took the opportunity to add a few other colors as well. If you want to change the color of your existing order just send us an email:

The new colors are "Carbon Commando" and "Bloodline".

vapeverythingnyc

Hi Max - thanks. I will note, however, that the pen clip in your vid was already bent well up in order to clear the cable.

On both of my GHs, and most everybody else based on comments about scratching their bodies, the clip on the back end is much closer to the body to the extent that it scratches the body a bit when putting on/off the BE.

I would hazard a guess...but hard to see with all the tape....that the pen clip in @vapeverythingnyc 's clip looks like it has a good bit more clearance that as normally shipped by Hopper.

I wish mine installed that easily.

Again, bending up a clip a bit is no problem for me at all.

But I do hope the slotted version works well as it still looks like a PIA to put on an off and if one wants to frequently change from AC to battery then I can see issues.

Anyhow, just waiting for you guys to clear up the thread problem and I'm looking forward to putting my adapter to good use with my GH. I know you are working hard and fast on a solution for those of us having issues.

Cheers

@Baron23 Take a closer look at the body of my hopper. Scratch city from the clip and I’m not even embarrassed one bit!

I do agree that r&r on this mod isn’t the cleanest in execution but that’s what the backup hopper is for!

ChooChooCharlie

I know it's no longer a portable, but can still enjoy out on terrace with a short extension cord. The heavy DC converter brick is on the floor

Max-adapter-outside.jpg

I find it easier to unplug the converter brick cable. Adapter and wire are lightweight, so can still empty and use my "filling station" easily

filling-station.jpg

Edit: That's my hopper filling, and charging station. After a few drinks, it would be bad form to tap the wall timer. Probably fry Max's gizmo

Max told me he easily threaded one of his adapters onto the old SS backend I sent. Good news. Better news, he said he's sending it back to me with a free adapter installed. Even let me choose cable color. Sweet customer service

Last edited:

Baron23

@Baron23 we have received 4 backends from customers who experienced threading issues, including the one from @ChooChooCharlie. So far we have not found one that we do not have a working insert for, we have found a few that had a little rough threading but tossed those out.

I will be sending you another insert tomorrow, so if you really do have one with incompatible threads we haven't seen one yet as I hope it was just a bad lot in our batch. We will need to collect it from you if the replacement insert still does not fit for you.

On another note, because the Carbon51 cable was so popular we had to order a lot more of it and took the opportunity to add a few other colors as well. If you want to change the color of your existing order just send us an email:

Thanks Max....I will look forward to receiving the new insert (I assume this comes complete with circuit board or ???).

I will be glad to also return the one in my possession that's not threading on if you would like it back (once I'm willing to go back to the post office!). The circuit board can certainly be scavenged and it would give you a chance to see one that didn't thread on my BE. Like you said, probably just a few bad ones in a batch.

And yes, if the new one doesn't work, I will return both inserts and send my BE down for you to find one that works for me (that is what you meant by "We will need to collect it from you if the replacement insert still does not fit for you.", right?)

Finally, I'm fine with sticking with the Carbon51 but tbh I don't care so if you are short on it, send another color. No matter to me.

@Baron23 Take a closer look at the body of my hopper. Scratch city from the clip and I’m not even embarrassed one bit!

hahaha...like I said, I couldn't see anything clearly. And, I'm one that's totally into function and not that overly concerned about appearances and the little scratches in my bodies don't bother me. I just don't like the pen clip as I think its as useless as tits on a boar. Yes, it keeps it from rolling around but so would a very small nub.

Does anybody really carry their GH around in their shirt pocket? Maybe in a pocket protector! haha

@vapeverythingnyc - looked again and yes, when you screw the body on there is a short period where I could see the scratches in the body. BUT, I also noticed as you screwed the back end/adapter on to the body, the clip was no where near scratching so....did you bend it up?

SC-from-Vape-NY.jpg

Cheers everybody.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Well mine arrived today and as feared I cannot screw it down all the way. Even getting it as close as I got it murdered my hands lol Not sure if it would work even if fully screwed? I don't know I'm concerned I damaged the back end maybe with trying to grip it, already felt like it was a little rough of a screw and wanted to replace it but feared warranty troubles from them... Anyway I know I took the risk by not waiting, so now it's just more waiting for me I guess! Although I'm not a hundred percent sure I will be able to get this thing off again

IMG-20200414-164827029.jpg

I also was mistakenly sent the more expensive dummy battery option, and I'm honestly not a fan. I specifically didn't choose the SLS powder because I read about its texture, and in-person it does feel like a weird cardboard felt... The cheaper price is also what pushed me towards the SLA resin along with the color, so I would prefer that one to this one not that it really matters much. I also hope I didn't damage the cord, there was a little snagging on the clip

I see what people meant about the packaging!

Last edited:

vapeverythingnyc

Thanks Max....I will look forward to receiving the new insert (I assume this comes complete with circuit board or ???).

I will be glad to also return the one in my possession that's not threading on if you would like it back (once I'm willing to go back to the post office!). The circuit board can certainly be scavenged and it would give you a chance to see one that didn't thread on my BE. Like you said, probably just a few bad ones in a batch.

And yes, if the new one doesn't work, I will return both inserts and send my BE down for you to find one that works for me (that is what you meant by "We will need to collect it from you if the replacement insert still does not fit for you.", right?)

Finally, I'm fine with sticking with the Carbon51 but tbh I don't care so if you are short on it, send another color. No matter to me.

hahaha...like I said, I couldn't see anything clearly. And, I'm one that's totally into function and not that overly concerned about appearances and the little scratches in my bodies don't bother me. I just don't like the pen clip as I think its as useless as tits on a boar. Yes, it keeps it from rolling around but so would a very small nub.

Does anybody really carry their GH around in their shirt pocket? Maybe in a pocket protector! haha

@vapeverythingnyc - looked again and yes, when you screw the body on there is a short period where I could see the scratches in the body. BUT, I also noticed as you screwed the back end/adapter on to the body, the clip was no where near scratching so....did you bend it up?

SC-from-Vape-NY.jpg

Cheers everybody.
Didn’t bend it, intentionally. Just had to gently nudge it over the cord on each rotation with the overlapped electrical tape. By doing so, I must admit, it seems I’ve bent the clip by about 2mm. But I’m with you. Clip is useless. Wasn’t worried but also didn’t want to risk completely shearing the thing. My solution works well enough for me.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@Shit Snacks sorry about the mixup, we will get you sorted out if you want to swap the power adapter.

I hope you didn't do any damage to your hand or the unit. With a proper fit it should thread only completely smooth with no resistance whatsoever. If you need to damage the adapter to get it off, don't worry about it you have a new one coming your way as soon as we get this weird issue threading issue sorted.

The fact that you got it on so far makes me wonder if its just the circuit board that needs a little twist to allow it to go down further.

jaypm

hey max, small question for those of us that have purchased reservations but not yet completed an order...

are you still iterating on the capabilities of the AC adapter? for those of us comfortable being patient, might we see any of these things come to fruition before this special production run completes?
- Hopper io support
- USB-C compatibility
- Higher-grade plastic that you were hoping to import

or is this pretty much the final design for this version of the product?

Shit Snacks

@Shit Snacks sorry about the mixup, we will get you sorted out if you want to swap the power adapter.

I hope you didn't do any damage to your hand or the unit. With a proper fit it should thread only completely smooth with no resistance whatsoever. If you need to damage the adapter to get it off, don't worry about it you have a new one coming your way as soon as we get this weird issue threading issue sorted.

The fact that you got it on so far makes me wonder if its just the circuit board that needs a little twist to allow it to go down further.

Thanks Max!

Yeah it's really my own fault that I really wanted to give it a try, definitely had a lot of resistance, and to be fair I have a little resistance just threading the back end on the hopper directly already... So again it's really my fault for trying anyway lol

I actually don't think I can even unscrew the hopper end now, since I needed it to get a grip for the back end after a while, but are you saying if I can get it off I should try again by turning the board? Or just leave it alone lol I'm obviously antsy

Edit: I was able to get the hopper part un screwed, but yeah this back end is fused now to the adapter unfortunately, its GS005160

Last edited:

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@Shit Snacks If you have threading resistance I wouldnt worry about it, but sometimes the PCB gets 'stuck' a little bit and just needs a bit of a twist to let it slide freely.

If you need to damage the ring to get it off though dont worry about it. Additionally, if you want to send the whole thing back to us we could get it off for you and take measurements of your threading as well.

@jaypm

- Hopper IO support will be coming, but until we get one we can't really be sure if its a problem with the extension being steel or the power converter being too small. If its a case of the power converter being too small, we have a design ready to manufacture but it would cost about $30 more for the electronics.

- USB-C support we are still not really sure, but if we do it will likely be an aftermarket thing for those who want to get it later.

- My plastic supplier is either still not operating at full capacity or they are ghosting me on the progress of our parts, either way no news on that front. I have spoken with our machinist to see what he can do about making us some cost effective aluminum cases instead.

Shit Snacks

@Shit Snacks If you have threading resistance I wouldnt worry about it, but sometimes the PCB gets 'stuck' a little bit and just needs a bit of a twist to let it slide freely.

If you need to damage the ring to get it off though dont worry about it. Additionally, if you want to send the whole thing back to us we could get it off for you and take measurements of your threading as well.

@jaypm

- Hopper IO support will be coming, but until we get one we can't really be sure if its a problem with the extension being steel or the power converter being too small. If its a case of the power converter being too small, we have a design ready to manufacture but it would cost about $30 more for the electronics.

- USB-C support we are still not really sure, but if we do it will likely be an aftermarket thing for those who want to get it later.

- My plastic supplier is either still not operating at full capacity or they are ghosting me on the progress of our parts, either way no news on that front. I have spoken with our machinist to see what he can do about making us some cost effective aluminum cases instead.

Yeah I don't think I can get it off even damaging it (not easy to budge in either direction, especially to get it off since its right by the cord) so I have no idea if the hopper works now regardless... I could of course send the whole thing back all together, but not for a while with everything going on... It seems like I need a new back end entirely maybe, I don't know feeling kind of hopeless lol I guess it will just still be an even longer time before I can use this finally!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: lazylathe

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
We were lucky enough to receive a Hopper IO in the mail today from one of the generous members here to take some measurements on.

Bad news is that the adapter does not thread onto the IO backend.

Good news is that we finally have a backend which seems to have a slightly different thread profile cut so that we can adjust the threading on our adapter to accommodate.

Seems that the IO and probably those of you who have backends with threading issues has a slight flat area at each crest of the thread whereas the other backends have sharp triangular crests, so perhaps it was changed at one point or they have had multiple suppliers with slightly different tolerances.

Here are the two threads under magnification for anyone interested:

vapeverythingnyc

We were lucky enough to receive a Hopper IO in the mail today from one of the generous members here to take some measurements on.

Good news is that we finally have a backend which seems to have a slightly different thread profile cut so that we can adjust the threading on our adapter to accommodate.

Seems that the IO and probably those of you who have backends with threading issues has a slight flat area at each crest of the thread whereas the other backends have sharp triangular crests, so perhaps it was changed at one point or they have had multiple suppliers with slightly different tolerances.

I would definitely like to be able to use this kit with my incoming io. Any chance you’ll sell an ‘expansion pack’ to iterate for use with the io?

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@vapeverythingnyc I sent the board designs off to the fab last night, so we should have them back sometime next week.

As soon as we get a compatible adapter and verify everything works properly we will put it up on the site for sale. The higher output converter may not be even required with a working thread, but may lead to less than optimal performance of the new heater.

Shit Snacks

Yeah I don't think I can get it off even damaging it (not easy to budge in either direction, especially to get it off since its right by the cord) so I have no idea if the hopper works now regardless... I could of course send the whole thing back all together, but not for a while with everything going on... It seems like I need a new back end entirely maybe, I don't know feeling kind of hopeless lol I guess it will just still be an even longer time before I can use this finally!

That seems to make sense! Tricky business

I just sent you a PM, since my back end is fused to the assembly, I am thinking I should just send you my entire SS Hopper (in the next couple weeks), but I am contemplating grabbing a brand new Ti GH on sale to finally try this all out sooner... I would need a new dummy battery assembly though before sending this one back (the heaviest PA part is fine at least!)

I don't know why I am so impatient all of a sudden, must be the quarantine n tease!

Last edited:

dac13

@maxvapor710 sorry to pile more on you. I mentioned in my initial post that the adapter didnt fit my new titanium but fit my SS which is a couple years old. Unfortunately the backend has been getting really hot and the power isn't working as well as it did the first 2-3 days. I tried cleaning the threads on the backend well but it didn't help. Ideally when you figure everything out I'd like to swap the adapter for one that will fit my titanium backend since it's only a couple months old and never had heat issues like the old SS does. Thanks for all your hard work bringing this product to life!

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@dac13 we will be reaching out to everyone via email to everyone who has already received a unit once we have the new part ready to ship.

Thanks,
Max

Due to the ever increasing delay of the casing for the Battery Adapter, we are going to go ahead with a laser cut acrylic enclosure which we can produce in-house, the single 18650 "power pack" will be available starting late next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shit Snacks

Cool, that sled looks very nice!

BTW for anyone wondering I decided to grab that brand new Ti GH from @VGOODIEZ on sale for a stellar price, and Max is going to send me out a new assembly (before I send back this one with my SS hopper attached). So hopefully some time next week I will be able to try this again, fingers crossed for a good threading fit!

Thanks again @maxvapor710! Great service

Last edited:

Baron23

Well, I think you are on to something here, old son.

This is the threads on the BE of my one good working GH what wouldn't screw on at all. It certainly seems to have the flat top...or at least wide radius... male threads

BE-Threads-of-one-that-would-not-go-at-all.jpg

This is the one from my GH that needs RMA. This BE screwed on....not easily at all...most of the way. It screwed on enough that there was power to the adapter board as indicated by the green LED on the board....however, my GH would not power up.

They appear to be a bit sharper....but it still doesn't look quite as sharp as the one you posted above. Although I did with, with a lot of effort, get this one almost all the way tight, it still did not screw on to the adapter they way it screws onto a GH body; which is to say easily..

BE-Threads-of-one-that-screwed-on-most-of-the-way.jpg

So, I believe it was last Tues that you said you were going to ship me a new adapter. I have not received a shipping notice at all and I hope you indeed did not send one as it would appear that I would need one with the revised threading.

Did you send me one already?

When do you expect adapters with the revised threads to be available?

Are the initiatives for revised threads and for a slot instead of a hole for the cable seperate. That is, would I be waiting for completion and validation of both of these or are the revised threads going to be available much sooner? Or?

Any idea why with my one BE I was able to get power to the board, but the actual GH would not power up? Yeah, peer into your crystal ball! haha When I get the new adapter (that works with my threads), I will be glad to ship back the one that I could not get on and would not power up my GH (probably just not tight enough for good contact and conductivity...perhaps).

Ok, so I played 50 questions with you....thank you for indulging me. Look forward to your guidance!

Thanks

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@vapeverythingnyc it will probably cost a few dollars over shipping to cover our credit card fees and materials cost for the new parts that weren't accounted for, maybe $3-5 if I had to guess. We will be selling additional sleds for around $29 for people that want more than one.

Also, if you haven't looked at the rendering the sled now has LED indicators on the board for battery voltage as well as on-board 500mA micro-usb charging for those that want to use it.

@Baron23 I apologize if CS did not reach out to you, there has been a bit of a disconnect between my decisions and customer service the last few weeks as I am sure you can imagine. If you think you have the flat crested threads I am not sure a new adapter will fix your issue but if you want to give it a go I will send you one personally tomorrow, just send me a PM and let me know which color you want.

The test pieces for the slotted adapter will have the new thread pattern so I would be happy to send you one of the samples if it works out. There really isn't much profit margin built into this project so I have to be careful about machining a few hundred pieces that wont work.

Regarding the time frame I am really at the mercy of my machinist and he has his own timeline, I can't really give a firm date as I don't have one but I would hope to have them late next week.

If it doesn't screw in all the way it is likely just not making contact with one of the terminals inside the grasshopper.

bornfree13

Cool, that sled looks very nice!

BTW for anyone wondering I decided to grab that brand new Ti GH from @VGOODIEZ on sale for a stellar price, and Max is going to send me out a new assembly (before I send back this one with my SS hopper attached). So hopefully some time next week I will be able to try this again, fingers crossed for a good threading fit!

Thanks again @maxvapor710! Great service

I grabbed one the other day from them also... Hahaha

Baron23

If you think you have the flat crested threads I am not sure a new adapter will fix your issue but if you want to give it a go I will send you one personally tomorrow, just send me a PM and let me know which color you want.

Hi Max - I will take this to PM if we have anything further to discuss, but yes, that was my point also. Why waste time and money sending me another adapter at this time if we feel it won't work.

Looking at the pics I posted, does this not look like a flat topped thread that has been causing problems? I mean, the one I have won't go much past a third of a turn before it locks up and it sure looks like what you described is the cause of the issues.

So, I'm glad you (or your CS) didn't send me another one as it would appear that it would not have worked either.

The test pieces for the slotted adapter will have the new thread pattern so I would be happy to send you one of the samples if it works out.

That works for me.....this will have the new thread scheme and the slot. I would be glad to give it a go and see if it works. I understand that the time frame is tentative, but you might have them end of next week and then perhaps get one out to me sometime the following week? Again, that works for me.

If it doesn't work, then the only alternative I can see is sending it, the OG adapter, and my BE to you and ask that you try to find an adapter that fits my part.

Other than that, I'm low, slow, and out of ideas beyond trying the new threaded slotted design.

How does that sound?

Shit Snacks

Oh I also wanted to mention, regarding the different 3D printed material options, although I'm not a fan of the SLS powder, it is really cool and unique feeling, and reading about the process is pretty interesting too. I am actually kind of glad I got to see it in person, I am more familiar with the SLA resin style, and I'm even happier I made that choice now. However yeah best of both worlds, I already needed a new assembly sent out because of my back end issues, nothing really lost by getting the wrong one at first as we are trading shipments anyway! Hope that might be helpful for anyone else trying to decide on the materials :tup:

Top Bottom