Grasshopper AC Adapter Kit (and 18650)

ChooChooCharlie

That's a pity.
Have you tried the legacy back end on the io before? Does it power it up normally?
Potentially the io back-end might allow it to work if it's part of the assembly...

Good thought. Tried 2017 backend on io body with battery. It works, but noticed a brief light off flicker at start, and near end of draw. Never any flicker normally. Probably due to micro oxidized gunk buildup on 2017 backend threads? Maybe the brass threading on the io helps as well?

I'm trying to avoid taking it apart, and rethreading it on the io. Bit of a task. Something thin and grippy helps, I used latex gloves

Namekian

@Namekian as far as I know everything that has been printed has been dropped off.
Dropped off yesterday? If so, I don't know what to tell you. If it was dropped off yesterday it should have updated by this morning at the latest. Still just says a label was created on Monday the 6th.

Namekian,
Reactions: muunch

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Dropped off yesterday? If so, I don't know what to tell you. If it was dropped off yesterday it should have updated by this morning at the latest. Still just says a label was created on Monday the 6th.

That's not necessarily true a lot of times things are dropped off and then the tracking doesn't update for a couple days... Especially during this time, it's easy for the post office to not scan something. I wouldn't worry just yet...

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit

Same, but am not stressing. surely just the post office being slammed currently. Hopefully we'll have ours by next weekend

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Namekian most of the orders that went out yesterday were the SLS Black power supply, if you had a Blue Resin power supply it was most likely dropped off earlier today.

Thanks,
Max

Definitely makes sense for mine! Thanks for all of your hard work Max! Looking forward to it

Shit Snacks,

MoltenTiger

Good thought. Tried 2017 backend on io body with battery. It works, but noticed a brief light off flicker at start, and near end of draw. Never any flicker normally. Probably due to micro oxidized gunk buildup on 2017 backend threads? Maybe the brass threading on the io helps as well?

I'm trying to avoid taking it apart, and rethreading it on the io. Bit of a task. Something thin and grippy helps, I used latex gloves
Interesting to note that it worked without the adapter.
With the flickering, do you think it engaged a low power mode? Was the draw otherwise normal? Any back end heat?

It might be a resistive difference causing these observations. The io being much higher wattage would require significantly more current. The legacy back end is less efficient, plus with the adapter, it might just not be a direct enough path to pump the necessary power down the line.

It would be interesting to try with the io back end to see if it is functional with the adapter.

One question, how much clip bending is needed to apply this adapter?

I wonder if the threaded ring could be slotted to allow for easy installation. I don't know if voiding material on the threads would pose a problem, but it would be nice to be able to have the option to quickly swap between cell and mains power.

My HT GH is from the 4/20/18 sale. SN GT0125XX

I have GT012614 from the same sale. Will be interesting to see how the threading compares, I suppose

Last edited:

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@MoltenTiger I will try to get a video up this weekend installing the adapter, but if you follow the instructions as intended the clip needs to be lifted as much as if you were hanging it on a thick shirt or jacket.

Perhaps some folks are going about screwing it on the wrong way, so I want to get the visual aid up to show at least how I have been doing it.

In regards to the slotted ring we are supposed to be getting a few samples cut when we get the new adapter back to see if they work out. I am going to try to get a few made in brass or copper to have one of you guys test with the IO also.

Baron23

Perhaps some folks are going about screwing it on the wrong way, so I want to get the visual aid up to show at least how I have been doing it.

I can assure you that I do indeed know how to thread two pieces of metal together and I do know how to bend a pocket clip up to clear the wiring. But it needs to be more, IME, than just adjusting a pen clip to an Oxford shirt pocket. But again, having to bend the clip up a bit doesn't bother me....I never really liked the clip in the first place.

Not sure if others are having difficulty with these tasks, but in my case its simply a matter of a bad mechanical interface between the BE and the adapter.

I got a note back from your CS telling me that you are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it and that you will get back to me asap.

And, I have absolutely no problem with that. If it takes a bit to get me sorted, that's no imposition.

But, my issue is not one of user error, IMO.

Cheers

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@Baron23 the issue with some backends being incompatible with the threading is certainly not the one to which I am referring. Thanks to the community we should have more than enough backends to get the issue resolved without needing to collect yours also and we will be following up with you as soon as we have the new pieces in hand.

The issue I was referring to is that some people seem to be implying that you almost have to break the clip off of the backend to use the adapter, and that is certainly not the case the way that I have been installing them so I simply want to get a video up of the proper installation.

Baron23

Thanks to the community we should have more than enough backends to get the issue resolved without needing to collect yours also and we will be following up with you as soon as we have the new pieces in hand.

Hi Max - thanks and I was wondering why nobody was asking me to send in my BE! haha

Like I said, I don't feel pressed and I know you will get all of us sorted just fine....just take a little time. NP at all.

And, I now understand the rest.

Have a great day, stay safe, this too will pass.

Cheers

ChooChooCharlie

Know that FC folks are anxious to know more about using the new io with Max's adapter

Too lazy/uncoordinated to disassemble my functioning Max backend I put together. It works in all Hoppers except io

So...I'll take one for the FC team. I'll mail my io unit to Max on Monday. To see if threads align well, and second, whether it will power up. Max, I already mailed you that non-fitting backend last Thursday

My tremors and finger weakness make manual tasks a bear. Feel like I need three hands: one to hold adapter, one to screw on backend, and a third to lift clip and yank wire past. I wasn't afraid of breaking the clip, rather that the braided wire needs bending on each rotation during install and removal. Wondering about metal fatigue related wire integrity...?

But, don't want folks to think it's impossible. I did it once. Just don't want to undo it

marduk

daydreamer
My tremors and finger weakness make manual tasks a bear. Feel like I need three hands: one to hold adapter, one to screw on backend, and a third to lift clip and yank wire past. I wasn't afraid of breaking the clip, rather that the braided wire needs bending on each rotation during install and removal. Wondering about metal fatigue related wire integrity...?

Ultimately I was not able to get my adapter screwed on all the way to my backend as previously noted, but I tried really hard. To gain more leverage and surface area to grip, I went against the instructions and screwed the adapter onto the body first.

With the body and adapter attached, I used some masking tape to get the wire to lie flat against the body, and this allowed me to focus on twisting the backend and lifting the clip without having to worry about the wire flexing on each turn.

:2c:

vapeverythingnyc

My kit arrived earlier today. I have 2 Titanium hoppers, one purple, one gray. I have installed and tested and the thing is just a fantastic piece of kit. My threading went on smooth as silk. I got the SLA (black) converter housing and must say I would have never been able to guess that it was printed. The quality of all of the bits are extremely high level. Max’s attention to detail is on clear display here.

I plan to post some pictures and video by tomorrow morning.

I did have to slightly bend the clip to get it to clear the cable (expected), but only ever so slightly. I wouldn’t be afraid of causing any damage in that regard. Just bend it in tiny increments until it clear. Then when assembled, you can bend it back if you like- I did. You’d never know the clip had been manipulated.

edit- did I mention the packaging? Max must be very proud of his work. I loved the individually packaged and labeled items. Real top notch electric gadgetry here guys and gals!

vapeverythingnyc

@Namekian working on finding time (and my tripod adapter), I will get one up as soon as I can.

I got you Max,

As you can see in the video, rather than bending my clip, I wrapped my clip with electrical tape. By creating a handle with the overlap, I was able to gently nudge the clip over the wire on each rotation. Speaking of, my GT0049xx threaded on smooth as silk. I’ll post another video with actual usage and impressions by tomorrow.

My fiancé saw me filming, she knew it was coming today since I’ve been so excited. One hit on 4 and done on a full pack. Her hair was blown back. I’m jealous... I’m still working!

Finally, a post install close up

https://imgur.com/gallery/Q9qMIXx

vape on.

editted to tag @maxvapor710

lazylathe

Almost there...
@maxvapor710

Seeing the additon up close, I was wondering if your machinist could mill a chamfer around the wires exit hole?
It would give slightly more room to be bent down and also would prevent any rubbing if it can move, not sure of this point.
It could also just be a 45 degree angle on the lower lip.

Just a thought.

Kit looks superb!
Cannot wait for international units to start!

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@lazylathe I will see what we can do, the metal is pretty thin already so I am not sure how much of a difference it would make. If the slotted adapter works out that will be much easier for everyone I think.

Anyways, here is my official video on how I have been installing the adapter for anyone who has been having trouble or has concerns about difficulty.

Lahey

Cruisin'
@Namekian if you already received a tracking number it should go out today, the rest should be finished up over the weekend.

@maxvapor710, will you be shipping the remainder of US orders this week, or are you waiting until the issue with the backend threading is resolved? I don’t mean to rush you but I’m bored and very eager to get my hands on it :D. I have two hoppers and don’t mind taking my chances that it will fit; if nothing else I can give you some more data. :2c:

MoltenTiger

@lazylathe I will see what we can do, the metal is pretty thin already so I am not sure how much of a difference it would make. If the slotted adapter works out that will be much easier for everyone I think.

Anyways, here is my official video on how I have been installing the adapter for anyone who has been having trouble or has concerns about difficulty.

Yeah that clip is quite bent. Normally they sit close to the body, that thing is decently far off.
Looks easy enough to install when bent like that, but could definitely be easier overall. The clip can bend back, but that’s easily avoided wear and tear.

If slotting the adapter doesn’t work, which it probably will unless there’s a current flow issue, you could use a terminal block mounted on the PCB which the cable can thread through to after partial assembly. It’s a pretty tight space to work with however.

Top Bottom