Grasshopper AC Adapter Kit (and 18650)

Oogendoogan

My adapter arrived today and it threaded on perfectly. No issues getting it on for me. The clip gets in the way a little but just slightly bending it worked for me. The clip still looks perfect. I don’t know my grasshopper serial number and don’t want to take the adapter off to look lol. It’s from when they were getting orders out fast and repairing them in 5 days and everything was working well for HL like 2 years ago. It’s been updated once I believe it has v4 internals but idk forsure. Anyways just wanted to give that info.

The adapter works perfectly with my hopper. Power is perfect and constant. Hopper doesn’t seem to get as hot. I won’t be taking this off and my hopper just became a daily vape again. Thank you so much @maxvapor710 for the amazing adapter. Anyone on the fence should grab one. I used the hopper daily for a long time, it sat in a drawer for over 6 months cuz of those damn batteries.

This vape will be used daily with my FPSH, SV3 and other heavy hitters. Always said I didn’t care if the hopper was a desktop just want that performance to be reliable. This adapter is very high quality and looks like it should have no issue lasting a long time.

To comment on the plastic mine is the cheaper option and is great. Very high quality. Anyways back to more hopper bowls. On number 4 now lol. Hope everyone has a great day.

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
My adapter arrived today and it threaded on perfectly. No issues getting it on for me. The clip gets in the way a little but just slightly bending it worked for me. The clip still looks perfect. I don’t know my grasshopper serial number and don’t want to take the adapter off to look lol. It’s from when they were getting orders out fast and repairing them in 5 days and everything was working well for HL like 2 years ago. It’s been updated once I believe it has v4 internals but idk forsure. Anyways just wanted to give that info.

The adapter works perfectly with my hopper. Power is perfect and constant. Hopper doesn’t seem to get as hot. I won’t be taking this off and my hopper just became a daily vape again. Thank you so much @maxvapor710 for the amazing adapter. Anyone on the fence should grab one. I used the hopper daily for a long time, it sat in a drawer for over 6 months cuz of those damn batteries.

This vape will be used daily with my FPSH, SV3 and other heavy hitters. Always said I didn’t care if the hopper was a desktop just want that performance to be reliable. This adapter is very high quality and looks like it should have no issue lasting a long time.

To comment on the plastic mine is the cheaper option and is great. Very high quality. Anyways back to more hopper bowls. On number 4 now lol. Hope everyone has a great day.
Ha! I'm happy to have one newer working battery. That has the hopper back in rotation for me. This adapter and a shiny new io will put this back in daily use for sure!

Oogendoogan

Ha! I'm happy to have one newer working battery. That has the hopper back in rotation for me. This adapter and a shiny new io will put this back in daily use for sure!
I was just thinking that the only way this set up could be better would be with instant heat up! Hahaha the io should be amazing with this adapter I’m sure you will love it. This has me thinking about the io.. the fact is the hopper has a special place in my heart. It is able to taste as good and hit as hard as vapes that are kinda leagues above it in many ways. I’m stoked to have it back in my rotation. The batteries always sucked anyways. This adapter is perfect. Very high quality as well I don’t see any problems with it holding up. Overall I’m super happy with it.

jaypm

Hi all - first time caller, long-time listener...

Thanks everyone for all the early tester feedback and of course Max for putting together this awesome product. I pre-ordered when it was announced, haven't completed my order yet as I'm being patient to see how things develop with the 18650 sled, the interim plastic solution, and the threading :)

Question: Will it ever be possible to use USB-C PD (65W) power supply instead of a traditional AC adapter+plug? I saw some earlier discussion about this but wasn't clear whether or how this would be possible. I've got lots of USB-C power on my desk and would love to use that for power instead of adding another brick.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@jaypm the current power converter has a max input of about 13V.

USB-PD typically outputs either 5, 9, 15 or 20V. In order to get the 65W output you typically need to request 20V from the adapter so it wouldn't be possible with the current implementation without more conversion.

Now that I have a little more time to spend doing design work, it wouldn't be too difficult for me to take the Power Delivery work we have already done and make a USB-C version but don't hold me to it.

MoltenTiger

Hi all - first time caller, long-time listener...

Thanks everyone for all the early tester feedback and of course Max for putting together this awesome product. I pre-ordered when it was announced, haven't completed my order yet as I'm being patient to see how things develop with the 18650 sled, the interim plastic solution, and the threading :)

Question: Will it ever be possible to use USB-C PD (65W) power supply instead of a traditional AC adapter+plug? I saw some earlier discussion about this but wasn't clear whether or how this would be possible. I've got lots of USB-C power on my desk and would love to use that for power instead of adding another brick.
When I was looking into this, I did find some USB-C mains adapters that could do 12V5A (60W) which would be enough to power the legacy hopper with the 12V MaxVapor adapter.
The one I remember thinking I'd get is an HP laptop brick, 3PN48AA.
Most existing PD options I looked at didn't seem to offer the power requirements necessary, a lot are limited to 3A.
I don't have high hopes that my 12V3A PowerBank will cut it, but I'll be sure to try once parts arrive.
I'm also waiting on a 12V PD Trigger board to wire it all up. Ultimately I want it for a home-portable or base-camp set up, so I'm only really interested in PowerBank USB-C PD, and newer models only just started offering high wattage output and high amp. Laptop chargers are pushing the way.

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@MoltenTiger I suspect it is outside of the USB-C PD specifications, maybe they are doing their own internal stepdown from 20V. I am almost certain the Texas Instruments chip we have based our PD designs around doesn't support 12V sourcing.

Its possible TI did not include the profile in this chip as it is designed for high power requirements (up to 200W out of spec) and most of the 12V profiles I see are maxed at 36W.

There should be some 100W USB-C power banks coming out soon, but they will probably be expensive.

Baron23

I don’t know my grasshopper serial number and don’t want to take the adapter off to look lol.

Its on the top of the back end and you should be able to see it with the adapter installed, no?

I did as Max asked and sent in an email wrt to my threading issue to their CS email. I did receive an acknowledgement and indicating that they were working on the issue and would get back to me.

I'm fine with this and have total confidence in @maxvapor710 to get this sorted to everybody's satisfaction.

MoltenTiger

@MoltenTiger I suspect it is outside of the USB-C PD specifications, maybe they are doing their own internal stepdown from 20V. I am almost certain the Texas Instruments chip we have based our PD designs around doesn't support 12V sourcing.

There should be some 100W USB-C power banks coming out soon, but they will probably be expensive.
It may well be, but it's below 100W demands, so it should be possible to interface USB-C to the Hopper with the existing USB-PD standards.
The data sheet for the HP 3PN48AA does state it can do 12V 60W DC, and the ZY12PDN Trigger board can select this and handle the power.
I feel confident that the combo (HP-Trigger-MVA-GH) will work from mains power, and several other existing mains bricks can support 12V5A, typically the cable is fixed/non-removeable as ordinary cables are rated for max 3A.
It does seem like the newest PowerBank designs can support 12V5A, but they will be/are expensive.

The io being 65-70W makes it unlikely to be powered with the existing 12V adapter from a USB-C source as it would require more amps than a USB cable's rated for, but a direct USB-C interface could deliver enough power given the right transformation. (80% efficiency from 100W gives lots of headroom).

The legacy being a once 35W now 45W design means it's a little challenging to interface with portable USB-PD but it should work given everything in the set up has the right specs, the cable, the supply and the receiving end.
The PowerBanks I've seen with 12V3A seem to use the latest USB-PD 3.0 Programmable Power Supply (PPS) standard. I'm not sure what silicon they are using, but it's certainly within the specs to hit 12V5A, USB-PD rev. 1 lists that as a profile.

Here's to hoping it all works anyway! It would be epic.
I'm getting really tired of my batteries, and still loving the rips more and more. I'm keener than ever to try all this out.

Last edited:
MoltenTiger,
Reactions: lazylathe

jaypm

@jaypm
Now that I have a little more time to spend doing design work, it wouldn't be too difficult for me to take the Power Delivery work we have already done and make a USB-C version but don't hold me to it.

well now you've got me thinking i should keep waiting for you to complete this journey :)

with my deposit to encourage you! lol

jaypm,
Reactions: VGOODIEZ

MoltenTiger

@MoltenTiger I will look into some of the Cypress and other brand chips that support the newer PPS standard, it looks like some of them might support output down to ~3.3V so it would be cool if we could design a circuit to output 4.2V directly with the right chip.
It's definitely possible with a custom circuit, and it could be quite compact.

This little trigger gadget should be fun to play with, this link may be of interest http://budgetlightforum.com/node/69061

MoltenTiger,
Reactions: lazylathe

mephisto

My adapter kit arrived yesterday and brought my SS hopper back from the drawer. I don't believe
I have the most recent heater upgrade, but I only get decent results on 5. Still not cooking like
some of my older units with a fresh battery. I have a newer Ti hopper to check out the
operation on. Great work @maxvapor710. I have no use for any heat setting beneath 5, and your
creation has really turned the tables for me. The desktop HopperMax delivers the goods in 1
and done fashion through the bubbler. Micro dosing, ultra highness!

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
My adapter kit arrived yesterday and brought my SS hopper back from the drawer. I don't believe
I have the most recent heater upgrade, but I only get decent results on 5. Still not cooking like
some of my older units with a fresh battery. I have a newer Ti hopper to check out the
operation on. Great work @maxvapor710. I have no use for any heat setting beneath 5, and your
creation has really turned the tables for me. The desktop HopperMax delivers the goods in 1
and done fashion through the bubbler. Micro dosing, ultra highness!

Any luck with the io? :brow:

Averyminya

Grasshopper Backer
Hate to ask but anyone able to upload some footage of it in use? Maybe show what you do to get it around the clip? I'm not very pictoral with my mental images so words just excite me :)

dac13

@maxvapor710 I have some more info if it helps you with testing.

I have a steel Hopper and a titanium Hopper.

The AC adapter will not fit my titanium serial GT0137XX it is extremely tight but I tried my steel serial GS0118XX and it went on very very smooth.

Also just tested it for the first time. Does anyone else get blue flickering lights? They were flickering the whole time, but the performance was top notch like a full battery, clearly getting plenty of power! Just confusing because usually flickering meant bad performance with batteries

Last edited:

ew91

The blue lights on mine have flickered/flashed randomly and erratically since the day I received it, battery charge didn't matter. But it has always worked. With the AC adapter it still flickers, but flickers consistently now and no more flashing.

I got the clear blue SLA version of the adapter and it's really nice. Fits together tight and it's so smooth you wouldn't know its a printed piece. Only 'gripe' is it's not as clear as the picture. No biggie as the real @maxvapor710 magic is tucked away in the Hopper.

Anyhow, love this adapter. I think i've used the GH more in the past 2 days than I have the entire time i've had it. :lol:

:peace:

ChooChooCharlie

Dug out SS and Ti from morgue, Ti backend threaded fine, SS no

Max-Vapor-adapter-its-alive.jpg

Then put that backend Max assembly on the SS body, it lives too

Nice work, Max!

Edit: tried that assembled backend in my io. Sad, it will not power the io. White flash then nothing. But tried in my working 2017 SS, fine, so only fails to work in the io

@maxvapor710 - I'll send you the backend that doesn't fit

Last edited:

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@ChooChooCharlie and everyone else, thanks for letting us know about which combos are working.

At this point it most likely seems like a variance in the backends as multiple people have confirmed the adapter will thread fine on one of their units but not another, it does not appear to be related to one material or the other.

We are working on the issue with our machinist and hope to have a new 'universal' adapter cut as soon as we can collect a few more non-working backends to confirm 100% compatibility.

As I don't want to keep people waiting, we will resume shipping the remainder of the US orders tomorrow and will be including an information sheet detailing the issue with certain models of Grasshopper backend and what to do if you are affected.

Edit: @ChooChooCharlie if you want to send us the backend that would be great, I will send you a PM with the address and I will make sure to get it back to you asap.

Thanks,
Max

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

tried that assembled backend in my io. Sad, it will not power the io. White flash then nothing. But tried in my working 2017 SS, fine, so only fails to work in the io
That's a pity.
Have you tried the legacy back end on the io before? Does it power it up normally?
Potentially the io back-end might allow it to work if it's part of the assembly.

@maxvapor710 any ETA on international postage?

maxvapor710

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
@MoltenTiger we are going to hold off a few more days to see if we can get a few pieces of the new adapter cut first, shipping to some of you guys is like $30 USD so I would hate to send out non-working parts to you.

If you absolutely do not want to wait, send me a PM and I will pick your orders out individually and get them out today and tomorrow.

On another note, I think I killed my late 2019 (v5?) hopper this morning, was giving weak hits and now red light comes on and shuts off right away... going to try cleaning

vapeverythingnyc

@Namekian if you already received a tracking number it should go out today, the rest should be finished up over the weekend.
Patiently waiting.

No tracking here but I ordered the black housing which I was told takes a bit longer to print.

Very much looking forward to this item.

Thanks for all you do @maxvapor710

edit: got my tracking. looking forward to testing this with my Ti OG and SS io (preordered, whenever it comes).

Last edited:

Baron23

@ChooChooCharlie and everyone else, thanks for letting us know about which combos are working.

At this point it most likely seems like a variance in the backends as multiple people have confirmed the adapter will thread fine on one of their units but not another, it does not appear to be related to one material or the other.

We are working on the issue with our machinist and hope to have a new 'universal' adapter cut as soon as we can collect a few more non-working backends to confirm 100% compatibility.

As I don't want to keep people waiting, we will resume shipping the remainder of the US orders tomorrow and will be including an information sheet detailing the issue with certain models of Grasshopper backend and what to do if you are affected.

Edit: @ChooChooCharlie if you want to send us the backend that would be great, I will send you a PM with the address and I will make sure to get it back to you asap.

Thanks,
Max
Hi Max - thanks...I do have a ticket (email) open to your support address and am standing by.

Cheers

Baron23,
Reactions: Namekian
Top Bottom